Front Passenger headrest removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300
Front Passenger headrest removal

Hi everyone, regarding new S600 Maybach here;

So I'm trying to remove the front passenger headrest, the stack of manuals that came with the car included a separate laminated sheet with instructions on setting the seat to chaffeur mode, etc etc.

It has a section regarding removing the front passenger headrest, and is basically 'pull up the button, while holding the button up pull the headrest off'

That's it, I found the button which is directly beneath the headrest, a little red thing pops up when pulled, and the headrest is still firmly planted in the seat.

I've tried all combinations of button pulling and headrest yanking, it's firmly locked in place.

I spoke to the dealership before picking up the vehicle and they said it was ALOT of work to get the headrest off, disconnecting wires and such, so why does the demonstration in the manual make it look so easy?

My previous employer had a 2015 S550 and they were able to remove the headrest in that one, so not sure what's going on

Any help?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,444 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
May need to normalize with SDS upon reinstall.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
File Type: pdf
WDDUX7GB1GA268904.pdf (17.8 KB, 797 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Sappo569

So I'm trying to remove the front passenger headrest, the stack of manuals that came with the car included a separate laminated sheet with instructions on setting the seat to chaffeur mode, etc etc.

It has a section regarding removing the front passenger headrest, and is basically 'pull up the button, while holding the button up pull the headrest off'

That's it, I found the button which is directly beneath the headrest, a little red thing pops up when pulled, and the headrest is still firmly planted in the seat.

I've tried all combinations of button pulling and headrest yanking, it's firmly locked in place.

I spoke to the dealership before picking up the vehicle and they said it was ALOT of work to get the headrest off, disconnecting wires and such, so why does the demonstration in the manual make it look so easy?

My previous employer had a 2015 S550 and they were able to remove the headrest in that one, so not sure what's going on

Any help?

I have done this a number of times but every time I feel like I am going to break the button--but it turns out ok.

I have a '16 S550 4matic with all the back seat options including tray tables and monitors. I assume this is the equipment you have--am I correct? If you have the monitors attached to the seat my instructions will work.

First, you need to get the seat all the way forward with the front passenger seat headrest tilted forward and down. Once you have it in this position, get that little button underneath the headrest with the red marking to pop up from the seat. Then get your fingers underneath the latch surrounding that little pop up button and pull up. This will release an internal mechanism. Then pull up the little plastic covers on the two posts for the headrest. Then gently pull up on the headrest. It now should be off. To be it back in place, just reverse the process.

You need to make sure your seat is all the way forward and the headrest is forward and facing down. If this is not the case, you will not be able to get the headrest off since the end of the headrest posts are like a U shape and you cannot simply pull the headrest off in the upright position.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by konigstiger
May need to normalize with SDS upon reinstall.

Good graphic but my seat has a button where the #2 is located that has a little red indicator on it. But the graphic is good to show the headrest needs to be facing down.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Sappo569

Any help?

Just as a follow up--for the passenger headrest your dealer does not have a clue. Easy to get the passenger headrest off. Off in a couple of minutes. Longest part of this is moving the seat forward and allowing the headrest to move downward toward the front passenger seat cushion. Very easy once you have done it. No removing any wires, etc. Just goes to show you that many of the dealers don't know their own products.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Strange, had dealer remove all rear headrests, and each of them had a wire for power/control

Surprised that the front headrests are not wired
Old 05-19-2016, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by jenz
Strange, had dealer remove all rear headrests, and each of them had a wire for power/control

I am just referring to the front passenger head rest. This is not wired and is designed to be easily removed if the car is in the chauffeur mode for the S Class cars that are equipped with the rear seat package that goes into chauffeur mode.

Attached is a PDF from the owners manual on removal of headrest in chauffeur mode.
Attached Files
Old 05-19-2016, 08:38 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Just as a follow up--for the passenger headrest your dealer does not have a clue. Easy to get the passenger headrest off. Off in a couple of minutes. Longest part of this is moving the seat forward and allowing the headrest to move downward toward the front passenger seat cushion. Very easy once you have done it. No removing any wires, etc. Just goes to show you that many of the dealers don't know their own products.
Thank a lot, I was able to easily get it off after following your instructions. Big help!

I guess I missed the part in the handout they provided about ensuring the headrest was fully forward in the chauffeur position.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:53 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by jenz

I'll take a picture if I remember tomorrow, the wiring connections are on a quick disconnect 'snap' connection, so when you push the release button it releases everything from the headrest

It's pretty cool.

Although like MTrauman said, the dealers really are clueless about this sort of thing, sad ... sad
Old 05-24-2016, 10:18 AM

2016 C300
Here is the headrest