S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Has anyone purchased sight unseen for their S550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Has anyone purchased sight unseen for their S550?

I've seen many of the options that i'm looking for in many of the S550's i've come across. My color preferences are Ruby Red, Verde Brook and Paladium Silver. But many i've seen are located in California, Texas, Chicago and Florida. I live in Pennsylvania. Just curious if anyone had success going that route or did you experience any cons to that process?

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Prochambers
I've seen many of the options that i'm looking for in many of the S550's i've come across. My color preferences are Ruby Red, Verde Brook and Paladium Silver. But many i've seen are located in California, Texas, Chicago and Florida. I live in Pennsylvania. Just curious if anyone had success going that route or did you experience any cons to that process?

Thanks.
I bought a CPO 911 from Florida sight unseen. I’m in Los Angeles. Was a great car, owned it for years.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:46 PM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by Socalsteve

I bought a CPO 911 from Florida sight unseen. I’m in Los Angeles. Was a great car, owned it for years.
I guess you looked at a look of close up photos and/or received detailed inspection reports to confirm before purchasing?
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:05 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
I guess you looked at a look of close up photos and/or received detailed inspection reports to confirm before purchasing?
It was Porsche CPO. Was pretty perfect. Had 16k miles. 2 years old. With Porsche stick shift cars, the big thing is to get a read out of the revs. Make sure it wasn’t tracked or abused.

You wont have that issue with a 4 door sedan, automatic.

If if you are a buying low mileage, 2 or 3 year old CPO, I wouldn’t stress over it at all.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:09 PM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL

It was Porsche CPO. Was pretty perfect. Had 16k miles. 2 years old. With Porsche stick shift cars, the big thing is to get a read out of the revs. Make sure it wasn’t tracked or abused.

You wont have that issue with a 4 door sedan, automatic.

If if you are a buying low mileage, 2 or 3 year old CPO, I wouldn’t stress over it at all.
Thanks much. So does the selling dealership deliver the vehicle to the closest dealer to where I reside?
Old 12-23-2018, 09:16 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Thanks much. So does the selling dealership deliver the vehicle to the closest dealer to where I reside?
Car dealerships are independent of each other. Another dealership would have no reason to accept your newly purchased car, unless you need it serviced. And, why would you? It’s CPO, it should come ready to roll.

My car was delivered to my front door by the truck driver. Oh, you will probably have to pay for the transportation. It’s an independent company. This time of year, I’d do covered transport, cost a bit more, but it is winter.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 PM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL

Car dealerships are independent of each other. Another dealership would have no reason to accept your newly purchased car, unless you need it serviced. And, why would you? It’s CPO, it should come ready to roll.

My car was delivered to my front door by the truck driver. Oh, you will probably have to pay for the transportation. It’s an independent company. This time of year, I’d do covered transport, cost a bit more, but it is winter.
Thanks for explaining.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
I've done this with my last 4 cars (M35, QX60, E350, S550). The most recent being my 15 S550. I always use Lemon Squad for a pre purchase inspection and they have found something each time that allowed me the opportunity to negotiate a lower buying price. Worth the $150. I also rely on Carfax.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:29 AM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by tkelley.EClass
I've done this with my last 4 cars (M35, QX60, E350, S550). The most recent being my 15 S550. I always use Lemon Squad for a pre purchase inspection and they have found something each time that allowed me the opportunity to negotiate a lower buying price. Worth the $150. I also rely on Carfax.
Thanks for that information.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
personally, I think its a mistake. Plenty of cars that arrived not as described from dealers everywhere. For me a big part of the purchase is the condition of the car, paint,seats headlights dings etc. Id say 99% of people dont have a clue as to what there looking at when looking at a car. Im not that guy. I want to make sure the car doesnt have paint wrk, the bolsters arent worn, the rims arent bent/rashed, the headlights arent pitted and the engine sounds good. Keep in mind you cant tell paint condition from pics. Ive bought cars sight unseen and when ever they have gotten here theres always something that someone forgot to mention.... Now on a cpo car your chances are better but you are still buying a used car. If u need some help in anything in Ny let me know. also so you know most of the staes you mention their cars are mostly not awd and seems to lessen the price by about 10k. If you absolutely cant get on a plane to go see it, pay someone to put eyes on the car fro you at the least.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 AM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by 1bad540
personally, I think its a mistake. Plenty of cars that arrived not as described from dealers everywhere. For me a big part of the purchase is the condition of the car, paint,seats headlights dings etc. Id say 99% of people dont have a clue as to what there looking at when looking at a car. Im not that guy. I want to make sure the car doesnt have paint wrk, the bolsters arent worn, the rims arent bent/rashed, the headlights arent pitted and the engine sounds good. Keep in mind you cant tell paint condition from pics. Ive bought cars sight unseen and when ever they have gotten here theres always something that someone forgot to mention.... Now on a cpo car your chances are better but you are still buying a used car. If u need some help in anything in Ny let me know. also so you know most of the staes you mention their cars are mostly not awd and seems to lessen the price by about 10k. If you absolutely cant get on a plane to go see it, pay someone to put eyes on the car fro you at the least.
Good points. I'm very **** when it comes to condition of the car this is why I was asking the question to see how anyone else had done it. I'm trying to remain within a certain budget so flying or driving all over the states won't work for me and I have to also stick with my work schedule. I have copied the VIN numbers into www.datamb.com to get the data codes for each car that I have looked at online first. So at least I know it has the options or paint colors that i'm looking for. I will definitely keep you posted as I have seen some in the New York area. Maybe we can meet up there one day. Thank you very much for your input.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Good points. I'm very **** when it comes to condition of the car this is why I was asking the question to see how anyone else had done it. I'm trying to remain within a certain budget so flying or driving all over the states won't work for me and I have to also stick with my work schedule. I have copied the VIN numbers into www.datamb.com to get the data codes for each car that I have looked at online first. So at least I know it has the options or paint colors that i'm looking for. I will definitely keep you posted as I have seen some in the New York area. Maybe we can meet up there one day. Thank you very much for your input.

If you see any in the Cincinnati area I will look at them for you.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:50 AM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
If you see any in the Cincinnati area I will look at them for you.
Thanks for the offer. Will keep you posted if I come across anything.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
you can also give the vin to mercedes via chat help on their website and theyll tell you the original MSRP and what options it has. The BMW dealer I bought my car from had no clue the sticker was 125k and because of this sold it for 5-7k under what KBB suggested. "What packages does it have?"... "ummmmm... it has leather and heated seats" Thanks for the bargain BMW of Tenafly!
Old 12-24-2018, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

also alot of cpo cars have some sort of pdr to them... I dont need to get into crazy details but pdr can range from undetectable to down right ruining the panel on a car. a small spot may not be a big deal but a little bit all over the car is a deal killer. Ck out snowmans thread on a cpo car he got sight unseen on the w221 forum a few years ago. Buddy of mine bought a s class a few yrs ago that was supposed to just have lower portion of driver door repainted due to his kid dropping a bike on it in the garage.... car came with no orig paint on the car and all done at different times so no panel matched the next and a crack in the windshield... went from a decent deal to a terd in your driveway. For a car guy thats upsetting.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 220 Posts
S600
Just curious if anyone had success going that route or did you experience any cons to that process?
I bought my 2015 S600 after seeing only pictures. I live in Austin, was working in Ca, and bought the car from the dealer in Raleigh SC.

But with an S600, there are not any real options to consider--it comes with essentially everything.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:32 PM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
also alot of cpo cars have some sort of pdr to them... I dont need to get into crazy details but pdr can range from undetectable to down right ruining the panel on a car. a small spot may not be a big deal but a little bit all over the car is a deal killer. Ck out snowmans thread on a cpo car he got sight unseen on the w221 forum a few years ago. Buddy of mine bought a s class a few yrs ago that was supposed to just have lower portion of driver door repainted due to his kid dropping a bike on it in the garage.... car came with no orig paint on the car and all done at different times so no panel matched the next and a crack in the windshield... went from a decent deal to a terd in your driveway. For a car guy thats upsetting.
Wow! Those are the kind of horror stories none of us want to experience ever! Meanwhile I just came across one that has the 3D Surround Sound in it. It's 2 hours from Philly. Might have to take a road trip this weekend if it last that long. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Yes just got a 2017 s550 cab sight unseen. As long as you get a CPO car from a reputable dealer you should be good. As long as you can speak freely to them and they do what you want them to i.e. inspect car for wheel rash, dings, scratches etc with photos your good. My wheel was damaged in transport and the dealer is taking care or it along with a couple other minor issues.
As long as your comfortable with the MB dealer you shiuld be good. Actually this is the 2nd car i puchased sight unseen without issues.
good luck
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (12-27-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
21 G63, 21 GLS580, 16 GTS Ed. 1
I'm in los Angeles. Purchased a s600 from SF thru pictures, bmw i8 from new jersey, Tacoma pro from Ohio, and s550 from SD. All never seen in person just pictures. All under manufacturer warranty, clean carfax and owner states no paintwork. None are perfect, theres going to be small paint imperfections. If you are very **** then buy new. You'll never find a perfect car off the boat used. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow! Those are the kind of horror stories none of us want to experience ever! Meanwhile I just came across one that has the 3D Surround Sound in it. It's 2 hours from Philly. Might have to take a road trip this weekend if it last that long. Thanks.
Keep in mind for a 500 dollar depost they will hold the car for you. gives you time to get there. If the car is what u expected do the deal and bring it home. Ive rented cars a bunch of times dropped them off somewhere close to the dealer and drove my new car home. I bought a cpo 7 series and had the sales guy meet me 1/2 way car was in Md Im in Ny and we met early morning at a starbux in Nj. looked at the car in the parking lot took it for a spin, came back had some coffee signedthe papers handed over the chk, sales guy followed me to the rental company to drop off my rental and then i dropped him off at the train... back to Ny. I used to bring my then girlfiend on all my road trips.. now my wife. LOL
Old 12-24-2018, 04:16 PM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Keep in mind for a 500 dollar depost they will hold the car for you. gives you time to get there. If the car is what u expected do the deal and bring it home. Ive rented cars a bunch of times dropped them off somewhere close to the dealer and drove my new car home. I bought a cpo 7 series and had the sales guy meet me 1/2 way car was in Md Im in Ny and we met early morning at a starbux in Nj. looked at the car in the parking lot took it for a spin, came back had some coffee signedthe papers handed over the chk, sales guy followed me to the rental company to drop off my rental and then i dropped him off at the train... back to Ny. I used to bring my then girlfiend on all my road trips.. now my wife. LOL
Definitely a plan. I've done that before when I purchased a Lexus LS 430 some years ago. I always leave the Wife at home. Lol! Thanks.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hahahahah, I think the novelty has worn off for her now! Now I gotta find a buddy thats not working that day!
Old 12-24-2018, 04:43 PM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
hahahahah, I think the novelty has worn off for her now! Now I gotta find a buddy thats not working that day!
Then she sees the car once I come back home with it. Hey honey, let me show you my new ride. Lol!
Old 12-24-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
2015 S-550, 2017 Jaguar XE 35t R-Sport, 2007 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 2013 S550 (traded)
I purchased my S-Class from Jumbo Luxury Cars and I am generally satisfied. My front camera did not work initially, and my brakes needed replacing after4-5 months.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
I've purchased plenty of cars sight unseen and had them shipped to my house on a enclosed trailer. Never had an issue but I think I was just lucky and I did my due diligence. The last car I had the sales person walk around the car and describe any inperfection at all - road rash on the wheels, scrape or scuff in the leather, ding to the doors or body, scratches of any kind, etc.

She said there were none at all, and because it was a Ferrari dealer and the car was a 911 Turbo S (3 years old at the time for almost 1/2 off the original MSPR sticker with 7800 miles on it) I just blindly trusted her. The car was "as advertised", perfect.
Same with a 2001 BMW 740i I bought once 2700 miles from home. I had a bimmerboard buddy out there look the car over for me and based on what he saw, and he was kind of an expert, I bought it sight unseen. The car showed up weeks later to my house, it was in amazing conditions. On and on and on with other cars too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone purchased sight unseen for their S550?