Spoiler is spoiling my life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by 1bad540
bahahahahahha. what the *** have u done to yourself man. This is pure self infliction. Take the advice of many people here that have purchased and negotiated many many cars. You dont *** w factory paint....ever if you dont have to. Should have put spolier back on and ended it there.
Very true. And while the job the dealer did removing the spoiler and sending the car to Maaco (I'm guessing) is beyond horrible, it should also be said the instances of people removing spoilers is exceptionally rare- I would bet the dealer has never done it before.

I've also dealt with MB of 'pequa and can say their service was hysterically bad. It got to the point that each time I needed something fixed I would text the GM and he would check it because the tech would invariably say everything's fine.
The following users liked this post:
Lanzz (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,458 Likes on 962 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
If it now goes to someone who can do a professional job they will more than likely sand that crap off so not to have problems later down the track, I dont think you will have too many professional painters that will even want to paint over that job without seeing whats under it.
Yes, and we're talking about a brand new S Class, a high line MB car. As another member posted, you don't mess with factory paint. All this over a spoiler. Unreal.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by places
Yes, and we're talking about a brand new S Class, a high line MB car. As another member posted, you don't mess with factory paint. All this over a spoiler. Unreal.
It was actually this forum that made me think the spoiler removal was no big deal. I seem to remember fishing line and goo gone being ballyhooed about quite often when I asked in a separate thread.

Im not blaming anyone here of course. MB shouldn’t have said they could do the job if they could not. So this is entirely on them. Just saying though. A lot of people seemed to think this was easy in the first place.

I knew this was going to happen — but it’s actually far worse than I’d imagined. I was worried about misaligned badges! Ha.

In fairness, there were as many people telling me not to mess with the paint as there were people telling me the opposite on this forum. But what could I do? There was a blue streak on my trunk lid!

What should have happened is Mercedes should have been able to get this to near factory standards. Clearly, they didn’t want to pay for it. Now look at the mess they’re in. And you know how persistent I am by now, so I will not let this rest in the slightest. I will literally take this to corporate and demand a brand new goddamn trunk if I have to. Either that, or I’ll sue them to get out of my lease agreement and start over. I’ll fight them forever if I have to.

Either way, this will not stand! This aggression will not stand, man!!
Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,458 Likes on 962 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by hundolots
It was actually this forum that made me think the spoiler removal was no big deal. I seem to remember fishing line and goo gone being ballyhooed about quite often when I asked in a separate thread.

Im not blaming anyone here of course. MB shouldn’t have said they could do the job if they could not. So this is entirely on them. Just saying though. A lot of people seemed to think this was easy in the first place.

I knew this was going to happen — but it’s actually far worse than I’d imagined. I was worried about misaligned badges! Ha.

In fairness, there were as many people telling me not to mess with the paint as there were people telling me the opposite on this forum. But what could I do? There was a blue streak on my trunk lid!

What should have happened is Mercedes should have been able to get this to near factory standards. Clearly, they didn’t want to pay for it. Now look at the mess they’re in. And you know how persistent I am by now, so I will not let this rest in the slightest. I will literally take this to corporate and demand a brand new goddamn trunk if I have to. Either that, or I’ll sue them to get out of my lease agreement and start over. I’ll fight them forever if I have to.

Either way, this will not stand! This aggression will not stand, man!!
Yeah sure, "they're" in a big mess, I think it's the other way around. What you should have done is put the spoiler back on. Good luck with MB paying for everything and getting an original looking trunk. Should you pull this off, I would imagine an unbelievable amount of wasted time and energy will have been spent on something so trivial. Unreal again. Should have just ordered the car the way you wanted.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM

S550
Originally Posted by places
Yeah sure, "they're" in a big mess, I think it's the other way around. What you should have done is put the spoiler back on. Good luck with MB paying for everything and getting an original looking trunk. Should you pull this off, I would imagine an unbelievable amount of wasted time and energy will have been spent on something so trivial. Unreal again. Should have just ordered the car the way you wanted.
I couldn’t order the car the way I wanted. Time and warranty and other issues were all at play in a sudden and unexpected turn of events having to do with my previous S class. I had to make a quick decision and I did. They shouldn’t have agreed to remove the spoiler if they couldn’t damn well do it.

Also, a spoiler is not trivial to me. It’s a deal breaker. I hate spoilers on S classes. If MB were honest or at least informed about their service capabilities I would’ve kept searching for a bit longer.
mrmotoguzzi00 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 405 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
I couldn’t order the car the way I wanted. Time and warranty and other issues were all at play in a sudden and unexpected turn of events having to do with my previous S class. I had to make a quick decision and I did. They shouldn’t have agreed to remove the spoiler if they couldn’t damn well do it.

Also, a spoiler is not trivial to me. It’s a deal breaker. I hate spoilers on S classes. If MB were honest or at least informed about their service capabilities I would’ve kept searching for a bit longer.
Simple, just spray the trunk again and see how it comes out. If it doesn't work, go to corporate, best thing u'll ever get is to spray it for a 3rd time. A new factory trunk is not an option as they don't come pre-painted. By law, all you can ask for is for them to keep paint it again and again and again until it is acceptable for average user (one thing you have to accept though, you can't ask for a factory-like trunk like it was before it was painted, but you can ask for a high-quality sprayed trunk) You have already agreed that they paint the trunk, so just wait until u get an acceptable painted job done.
Nice Ride (12-28-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I know you say this but we have another extensive thread that painted a different picture.

In the end, your quick decision to buy from this dealer was an eight week plus activity; or was it more? Since your time isn't free it hardly seems like a good deal to me.
I know this doesn't sound nice but your story seems one of what not to do...

On the positive side, a good body shop can paint the trunk and can paint it better than factory. I don't understand this silly talk as if the factory paint is the holy grail. I strongly suggest to find a good certified Mercedes body shop or one that deals with high-end repairs (Bentley, RR, Exotics), get a quote and arrange for the dealer to cover the costs rather than the dealer handling the repair.
You have already learned that there is no goodwill left for you there.

Personally, we have recently repaired/replaced the front-end of our AMG GTC just a few months in, actually twice. One time I overlooked a boulder in a cul-de-sac, the second time road construction items in the middle of the highway caused some damage. Magnetite black (more difficult to paint); turned out beautiful both times. So rest assured, if done properly, you will enjoy a proper car and never see the difference.

Nice Ride (12-28-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 09:31 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I know you say this but we have another extensive thread that painted a different picture.

In the end, your quick decision to buy from this dealer was an eight week plus activity; or was it more? Since your time isn't free it hardly seems like a good deal to me.
I know this doesn't sound nice but your story seems one of what not to do...

On the positive side, a good body shop can paint the trunk and can paint it better than factory. I don't understand this silly talk as if the factory paint is the holy grail. I strongly suggest to find a good certified Mercedes body shop or one that deals with high-end repairs (Bentley, RR, Exotics), get a quote and arrange for the dealer to cover the costs rather than the dealer handling the repair.
You have already learned that there is no goodwill left for you there.

Personally, we have recently repaired/replaced the front-end of our AMG GTC just a few months in, actually twice. One time I overlooked a boulder in a cul-de-sac, the second time road construction items in the middle of the highway caused some damage. Magnetite black (more difficult to paint); turned out beautiful both times. So rest assured, if done properly, you will enjoy a proper car and never see the difference.
Yes, the process went on for a very long time for the reasons stated in the other thread — most of which stemmed from the dealership’s incompetence at being able to help me find the right vehicle. (I’ve dealt with good salespeople and the difference is night and day) But you must remember a key factor: During most of that time I was driving our GLE, which is the only car of ours that my wife will drive. So it caused a great inconvenience in our lives! I’d effectively retired the S550 at that point due to the nasty sounds it was making outside of warranty. That said, we needed to act and act as quickly as possible. I did my best to juggle each situation’s respective requirements to the best of my ability, and frankly I don’t think I did too badly. It seems to have all worked out save for the spoiler removal, which will be rectified one way or another—on their dime, not mine.

I wouldn’t say I’ve used up good will at all. Their entire team is still bending over backwards to make this right, it’s just an ongoing question (as before) whether or not they’re actually capable of doing so. This “used-up good will” notion came up a lot during the locate and sale process. I explained then, too, that this was actually far from the truth. It’s a funny situation with them; they are very eager to please but not necessarily equipped to do so to true MB standards. That’s my experience anyway. I’m sure I’m a pain in the behind to them, but they’re still holding it together regardless. Maybe it’s the threat of a formal corporate complaint. Who knows...

On another note, what you said about factory paint not being the end-all-be-all is very reassuring. It’s actually the first time I’ve heard that, surprisingly, considering how logical it seems to me. I’ve seen many shows on TV and internet where shops perform amazing feats of beautification on high end vehicles. So I’m glad to hear this, and that’s what it may come to.

In the event that it does, if anyone has any Long Island, NY recommendations please let me know now so I’m prepared. Thank you.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi R8
Originally Posted by Rami_saeed
Simple, just spray the trunk again and see how it comes out. If it doesn't work, go to corporate, best thing u'll ever get is to spray it for a 3rd time. A new factory trunk is not an option as they don't come pre-painted. By law, all you can ask for is for them to keep paint it again and again and again until it is acceptable for average user (one thing you have to accept though, you can't ask for a factory-like trunk like it was before it was painted, but you can ask for a high-quality sprayed trunk) You have already agreed that they paint the trunk, so just wait until u get an acceptable painted job done.
But the entire trunk will already be painted and this is not very good (
Old 11-22-2019, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
This thread is beyond ridiculous. They don't spray the car with magic pixie dust in the factory, any competent body shop can match the finish exactly and most can also get the badges back on right. Go find a competent shop and get the trunk lid resprayed and then get back to us.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 S550

Old 11-23-2019, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 991 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This
Old 12-28-2019, 10:01 PM

S550
As close to factory as one could expect. Under careful scrutiny I actually don’t even notice any difference from true factory. Part of me thinks they just ordered a new one from MB proper. Who knows.

anyway, it’s done! And it’s wonderful. Merry Christmas to me. Got it back a few days before Christmas.

Last edited by hundolots; 12-28-2019 at 10:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hundolots:
C Swenson (12-29-2019), chassis (12-28-2019), Lanzz (12-30-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Factory.
Finally.

so, can you describe what happened?
Old 12-28-2019, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Looks good. If i were you I'd toss a spoiler on it to make it less feminine...;P
The following 5 users liked this post by emilner:
aypues (12-29-2019), chassis (12-28-2019), Nice Ride (12-28-2019), Sandy Eggo (12-30-2019), Travis S (12-30-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Congratulations on getting a top class job finally.
It just shows the difference between a professional finish and a half arsed attempt at a professional finish, when done properly you should not be able to tell anything has occurred at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by prktkljokr:
hyperion667 (12-29-2019), Nice Ride (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
hundolots, looks great. What shop did the paint work? Did you take it to another shop or did the dealer handle it?
Old 12-29-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W221 W222 W216
Wooooo *Fireworks*

Good on you buddy.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Glad it worked out and your happy.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Weeks to just get a trunk sprayed? well, anyway glad that you liked the current status, paint looks good based on these photos, much better than first trial.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
As close to factory as one could expect. Under careful scrutiny I actually don’t even notice any difference from true factory. Part of me thinks they just ordered a new one from MB proper. Who knows.

anyway, it’s done! And it’s wonderful. Merry Christmas to me. Got it back a few days before Christmas.

It was a Christmas Miracle!

Glad you finally got everything squared away.