S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Spoiler is spoiling my life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
That has not been done by a experienced motor vehicle repairer.

That looks like someone who knows nothing about repairing vehicles has had a go, pretty shocking that they think that thats ok, I have never seen a job like that come out of any body shop in my life.

If you took it to the dealer to sort out, it looks like they may have even tried to fix it themselves to save a buck.

Im pretty sure you still have to let them rectify it, even though they are the ones responsible for letting this repairer touch the car

I would not even let the repairer try to rectify this, and I would be telling the dealer that unless they get it repaired to a Mercedes Benz acceptable finish, they will be seeing the car until it does or you will have it repaired at a repairer of your choice and they will be paying the bill.
Also I would be telling them that while these repairs are carried out to a acceptable level they will be supplying you with a car of the same or better level while it is being done, as you should not be paying for a vehicle you cant drive while they sort it out.

Last edited by prktkljokr; 11-19-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
This is a bad paint job. Sorry for the OP but to be honest I'm not surprised based on the direction of this whole ordeal. I'm not even sure if it's a MB problem. This car has been modified from its original condition at the owners request. Should have left the spoiler on, was this all worth it?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 800 Likes on 520 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
That has not been done by a experienced motor vehicle repairer.

That looks like someone who knows nothing about repairing vehicles has had a go, pretty shocking that they think that thats ok, I have never seen a job like that come out of any body shop in my life.

If you took it to the dealer to sort out, it looks like they may have even tried to fix it themselves to save a buck.

Im pretty sure you still have to let them rectify it, even though they are the ones responsible for letting this repairer touch the car

I would not even let the repairer try to rectify this, and I would be telling the dealer that unless they get it repaired to a Mercedes Benz acceptable finish, they will be seeing the car until it does or you will have it repaired at a repairer of your choice and they will be paying the bill.
Also I would be telling them that while these repairs are carried out to a acceptable level they will be supplying you with a car of the same or better level while it is being done, as you should not be paying for a vehicle you cant drive while they sort it out.
You are absolutely wrong. This crap and modification was done at the request of the owner DESPITE OF ALL VERBAL PROMISES THAT IT WILL BE OKAY. If there is no WRITTEN document between them that dealer is responsible for low quality fix, then it’s the owner’s fault that HE requested them modify it from its original condition at his request. AGAIN REGARDLESS OF ALL AND ANY VERBAL PROMISES
he should have left the spoiler on...
car is missed up now, entire hood needs to be painted which is too bad... factory paint is gone simply... i would just repaint and live with it
Old 11-19-2019, 07:06 PM

12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Originally Posted by Rami_saeed
You are absolutely wrong. This crap and modification was done at the request of the owner DESPITE OF ALL VERBAL PROMISES THAT IT WILL BE OKAY. If there is no WRITTEN document between them that dealer is responsible for low quality fix, then it’s the owner’s fault that HE requested them modify it from its original condition at his request. AGAIN REGARDLESS OF ALL AND ANY VERBAL PROMISES
he should have left the spoiler on...
car is missed up now, entire hood needs to be painted which is too bad... factory paint is gone simply... i would just repaint and live with it
Are you for real, you really think that is the way the law see's stuff like this?

Unfortunately for the dealer they attempted to repair, so that in itself is a admission of liability
It does not matter that he asked for the spoiler to be removed, they accepted not knowing that their product was faulty and caused the blemish, they have sold him a car if he wishes it not to have a spoiler thats his choice, I could understand if he himself took it off but the dealer did, just like if they scratched it doing the removal they have to repair.

I am no lawyer, but I do know the law when it comes to these sort of things, you dont have to have a written contract or document, once someone touches your property and tries to rectify it, that in itself is a admission of liability, the only way they could have gotten out of this is if they said that they will repair but accept no liability, that would have to be in writing, written and witnessed by a lawyer to stand up in court.

For the OP, go see see them once more and see if they will get it done properly to Mercedes Benz standards, if not go see a Lawyer, you are in the right here, dont listen to the crap that its your fault

Last edited by prktkljokr; 11-19-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Are you for real, you really think that is the way the law see's stuff like this?

Unfortunately for the dealer they attempted to repair, so that in itself is a admission of liability
It does not matter that he asked for the spoiler to be removed, they accepted not knowing that their product was faulty and caused the blemish, they have sold him a car if he wishes it not to have a spoiler thats his choice, I could understand if he himself took it off but the dealer did, just like if they scratched it doing the removal they have to repair.

I am no lawyer, but I do know the law when it comes to these sort of things, you dont have to have a written contract or document, once someone touches your property and tries to rectify it, that in itself is a admission of liability, the only way they could have gotten out of this is if they said that they will repair but accept no liability, that would have to be in writing, written and witnessed by a lawyer to stand up in court.

For the OP, go see see them once more and see if they will get it done properly to Mercedes Benz standards, if not go see a Lawyer, you are in the right here, dont listen to the crap that its your fault
I am not saying that it's his fault, but technically it's his fault cause he trusted them doing such a job and painting a brand new car and removing an existing component from the car, and it's also their fault that they did a very bad job with the paint.
In the end, whatever he does, best thing is that they will take it and redo the paint again. Regardless of how good the paint is, it's not going to be as good as factory.
There are also some missing pieces here, we still don't know where he did this service and what kind of papers he signed.
In the end, he can sew them but u can never change the fact the hood is messed up now and needs to be painted. now you have to paint the entire hood again and the option of putting the spoiler back is no option, that's it... Even if you hire a lawyer, so what? you win the case and get the car painted again.... factory conditions are gone, simply just paint the damn thing and let them pay for it, am sure they'll agree to this. but am also sure the owner will not like the 2nd trial either if he has sharp eyes (glossy or metallic paints are pain in the *** to match and re-do), but it's a fact, factory conditions are gone now and need to live with painted hood....

Last edited by S_W222; 11-19-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:30 PM

I am not saying that it's his fault, but technically it's his fault cause he trusted them doing such a job and painting a brand new car and removing an existing component from the car, and it's also their fault that they did a very bad job with the paint.
In the end, whatever he do, best thing is that they will take it and redo the paint again. Regardless of how good the paint is, it's not going to be as good as factory.
There are also some missing pieces here, we still don't know where he did this service and what kind of papers he signed.
In the end, he can sew them but u can never change the fact the hood is messed up now and needs to be painted. Even if you hire a lawyer, so what? you win the case and get the car painted again.... factory conditions are gone, simply just paint the damn thing and let them pay for it, as simple as that, am sure they'll agree to this. but am also sure the owner will not like it, but it's a fact, factory conditions are gone now and need to live with painted hood....

Ok he let them do the job, but the finished product is no where acceptable even for a run of the mill car let alone a Mercedes, the repairer should be ashamed of themselves for even letting the car go looking that bad, and the dealer for not checking that the repairer did a acceptable job is unacceptable in itself.
Pretty sure that if the OP contacted Mercedes Benz and showed them the pictures of what has gone down, the dealer would be getting a phone call, then you will see some acceptable things happening.

As for the finish of the repair, from working in the Automotive repair industry for over 30 years, the average consumer should not be able to tell if a car has been repaired, it should look exactly as it did when it rolled off the production line if done correctly, this repair has not been done correctly at all and I would not be surprised if one of the guys has done it for a carton of beer, as that is not a finish any reputable shop would produce.
The following users liked this post:
mrmotoguzzi00 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
Some people really do make life far more difficult for themselves...
Old 11-19-2019, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok he let them do the job, but the finished product is no where acceptable even for a run of the mill car let alone a Mercedes, the repairer should be ashamed of themselves for even letting the car go looking that bad, and the dealer for not checking that the repairer did a acceptable job is unacceptable in itself.
Pretty sure that if the OP contacted Mercedes Benz and showed them the pictures of what has gone down, the dealer would be getting a phone call, then you will see some acceptable things happening.

As for the finish of the repair, from working in the Automotive repair industry for over 30 years, the average consumer should not be able to tell if a car has been repaired, it should look exactly as it did when it rolled off the production line if done correctly, this repair has not been done correctly at all and I would not be surprised if one of the guys has done it for a carton of beer, as that is not a finish any reputable shop would produce.
agreed.
next step is simple: let them re-do it (if I were he, I would never ever trust them again), 2nd option is to do it somewhere else but try to ask them to pay for it (it's their right to refuse and ask for a 2nd paint be done by them). if I were he i would honestly never allow anyone to touch or paint the hood of my brand new car from the beginning.

Last edited by S_W222; 11-19-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:55 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by emilner
I can attest to that
emilner (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

TRUE!!!!
emilner (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For sure. They get on their own way.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,150 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Does anyone here truly believe that an authorized MB dealer, in the USA, working on a brand new S Class, did this horrid work and expected the customer to accept it??? Just sayin.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
hyperion667 (11-20-2019), mrmotoguzzi00 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
I am not surprised. Now it's over.... like we said before, there was literally no solution but to put the spoiler back. Now all solutions all over if YOU REALLY WANT FACTORY AND ONLY FACTOR SPEC AND PAINT.
Now the entire factory paint is gone...... sorry to say, but this what happens when you take words from service managers, you should never ever take such risk. you sew them you can do whatever, but paint is gone..... you can get a better paint if you take it somewhere else for sure..... but not factory paint just saying
Also want to say (and don't take me wrong) but I have hard time believing that this was done at an actual dealer. Am not saying you are lying, but r u sure you were dealing with Mercedes Benz? can you share a copy of the service sheet?
After all, man, just go and spray it at a good body shop with excellent reputation and deal with the damn thing as a sprayed non-factory paint... it's a car after all, whether you like it or not, your factory paint is gone forever and that's the fact than you can never change now, even if you sew them you can get money back but never the factory paint (unless u travel back in time!!!!!) I would NEVER paint the entire thing, i even had a scratch one day and refused to paint the entire hood and decided to only work 1 inch around that spot cause I'd rather live with 1-inch non-factory paint than an entire hood ESPECIALLY WITH METALLIC OR GLOSSY PAINT!!!! never ever paint it unless u have an accident.
It was most definitely through a Mercedes dealer. I honestly don’t even give a **** about protecting anyone at this point. It’s Mercedes Benz of Massapequa. See attached invoice. Names addresses and the like are blacked out.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:26 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Does anyone here truly believe that an authorized MB dealer, in the USA, working on a brand new S Class, did this horrid work and expected the customer to accept it??? Just sayin.
I wouldn’t have believed it myself. But I just posted the invoice. Now maybe you all can understand how ineptitude resulted in a 1-month buying process! Aaannnnnndddd.......This is their service department.

Also, why the f**k would I take a brand new S class — a leased S class at that — to an unauthorized auto body shop? Doesn’t even make sense.

But i get it. Going by the looks of it, this doesn’t look at all like anything a professional MB dealership would be responsible for.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hundolots
I wouldn’t have believed it myself. But I just posted the invoice. Now maybe you all can understand how ineptitude resulted in a 1-month buying process! Aaannnnnndddd.......This is their service department.

Also, why the f**k would I take a brand new S class — a leased S class at that — to an unauthorized auto body shop? Doesn’t even make sense.

But i get it. Going by the looks of it, this doesn’t look at all like anything a professional MB dealership would be responsible for.
So what is the next episode? paint it again?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:59 PM

S550
I contacted the foreman directly — the one who had assured me everything would be alright — and texted him the pics. I told him the paint job was beyond poor, the badges were literally moving when I pushed them, and there were lots of hack marks beneath the new paint. He exclaimed WOW!! And said he didn’t notice any of this. Immediately I knew what had gone on.

I told him pointedly that we would be just going in circles until the car is done to factory spec. I also told him that if this is management’s idea of saving a buck I’m onto them, and they’re going to be spending a lot more if we do this 5 times half-assed vs. 1 time properly. (remember, they really didn’t want to pay for this) I also said that an open case with MB USA would be far greater trouble for them than a few bucks to make this right.

I do not want to get into full specifics now that the dealership has been outed, but let’s just say my instincts seem to be right on the money — as they’ve been with this dealership since day 1 of this debacle of a process. I was right to give the salespeople a hard time every time they tried to take advantage; every time they dropped the ball; every time there was a miscommunication that cost me time and eventually money. I said this dealership had gone downhill and by God was I right.

Anyway...The foreman is coming to retrieve the car personally tomorrow morning.

I have everything in writing, all phone calls recorded and so forth. My case is as good as can be. I don’t think it’s helpful for people to insist that I should’ve left the spoiler. I don’t like spoilers on S classes — why is that such a bad thing to inquire about? If they couldn’t do the job, they shouldn’t have said yes. It’s not my job to intervene with a cooler head.. this is their industry. I don’t know anything about it. If I ask to have a spoiler off and they say yes, then you know what? That’s on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by hundolots:
hyperion667 (11-20-2019), mrmotoguzzi00 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 PM

S550
So what is the next episode? paint it again?
We will paint it again and again until it looks like a goddamn Mercedes Benz S560. I’ve expressed that this is nowhere near acceptable. This isn’t even acceptable by Kia standards!!! Shameful.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hundolots
I contacted the foreman directly — the one who had assured me everything would be alright — and texted him the pics. I told him the paint job was beyond poor, the badges were literally moving when I pushed them, and there were lots of hack marks beneath the new paint. He exclaimed WOW!! And said he didn’t notice any of this. Immediately I knew what had gone on.

I told him pointedly that we would be just going in circles until the car is done to factory spec. I also told him that if this is management’s idea of saving a buck I’m onto them, and they’re going to be spending a lot more if we do this 5 times half-assed vs. 1 time properly. (remember, they really didn’t want to pay for this) I also said that an open case with MB USA would be far greater trouble for them than a few bucks to make this right.

I do not want to get into full specifics now that the dealership has been outed, but let’s just say my instincts seem to be right on the money — as they’ve been with this dealership since day 1 of this debacle of a process. I was right to give the salespeople a hard time every time they tried to take advantage; every time they dropped the ball; every time there was a miscommunication that cost me time and eventually money. I said this dealership had gone downhill and by God was I right.

Anyway...The foreman is coming to retrieve the car personally tomorrow morning.

I have everything in writing, all phone calls recorded and so forth. My case is as good as can be. I don’t think it’s helpful for people to insist that I should’ve left the spoiler. I don’t like spoilers on S classes — why is that such a bad thing to inquire about? If they couldn’t do the job, they shouldn’t have said yes. It’s not my job to intervene with a cooler head.. this is their industry. I don’t know anything about it. If I ask to have a spoiler off and they say yes, then you know what? That’s on them.
My advice to you, don't give them the car tomorrow. They proved that they have the worst service department. Simply let them agree to refund you whatever a third party professional body shop would charge you to get it all fixed. If they take it again, it will never be fixed to an acceptable standards.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 75 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
I agree that if they couldn't remove or didn't know how to remove the spoiler then they should have said so. It's absolutely unacceptable for them to give back the car with that bad of a paint job. There are many incompetent people involved here
hyperion667 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 12:45 AM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
No reputable body shop would accept that type of result from a repaint.

Bet the dealer outsourced it to whoever would do it the cheapest or whoever owed them a favor.
hyperion667 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W221 W222 W216
This is a horror story to remember. It’s the type of horror story when it comes to cars, I imagine would happen only in USA and the likes of Zimbabwe.
I could have sent a brand new maybach to a non official but professional shop in Germany and they would surpass the quality of the factory paint work. A small shop could have done it to factory standards.

i feel bad for laughing and crying at the same time.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:47 AM

S#!t happens, but when it does you need to clean it up properly, or you will keep smelling S#!t.

If it was my car they would need to get it right this time, I would not be giving them any other chances, when the foreman comes and picks it up, tell him once its done to park it along side another new one and if he can spot any difference in finish in any way to the untouched one, he should send it back before contacting you, as you will not be giving them another chance to rectify it.

I cant understand why people try to cut corners to save a couple of hundred dollars, it would be understandable if it was thousands, but a boot lid repaint properly with good quality products at a reputable repairer would cost no more than $500, be lucky if they use 250ml of paint a roll of tape and a couple of sticky sanding disks.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now you have a new car with a trunk that will end up with a third paint job. How can this end well...just thinking.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by places
Now you have a new car with a trunk that will end up with a third paint job. How can this end well...just thinking.
If it now goes to someone who can do a professional job they will more than likely sand that crap off so not to have problems later down the track, I dont think you will have too many professional painters that will even want to paint over that job without seeing whats under it.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
bahahahahahha. what the *** have u done to yourself man. This is pure self infliction. Take the advice of many people here that have purchased and negotiated many many cars. You dont *** w factory paint....ever if you dont have to. Should have put spolier back on and ended it there.
hyperion667 (11-20-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler is spoiling my life