S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Air Balance Fragrance Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S560 Maybach
Air Balance Fragrance Issue

Not sure if this issue was brought up previously or if anyone already posted a solution. If they have, could you please post the link and sorry for the repeat.

Here's the issue I am having with the car. The fragrance system just does not seem to be kicking in at all. I have had the same scent bottle in there for a year now and set the Frangrance to Medium. One year later, barely a drop in the fluid level. I have pressed in the black tabs to make sure that the springs are not gummed up, nope works fine. I have changed the settings to off and back on hoping that would revive it, nothing. I have tried to look in the glovebox to see if something was obstructing the scent holder, nothing.

Now for the best part. This last weekend I was at a Mercedes sponsored event and they drove us around in the new EQC. It had the Air Balance package and a full fragrance bottle in it. I told the guy I'm having issues with mine and wanted to test it in this car. He let me turn on the fragrance and IT INSTANTLY WAFTED FRESH FRAGRANT AIR THROUGH THE VENTS!!! Now I know for a fact that my S-Class Air Balance does not work at all! I am absolutely stumped as to what the fix for this could be. Any helpful suggestions, links and possible fixes are welcomed and much appreciated!
Old 02-21-2020, 02:33 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 GL420 CDi and 2015 S500
Will be interested to follow this thread as I am also struggling to get any effect from mine. The dealer said it is really subtle !
I have rarely smelt it, in fact after reading your note I must go and check the fluid level in mine soon.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:39 PM

2019 S560 Maybach
Hopefully, someone can provide insight soon. I've heard people say it's just subtle, I've heard them say that the fragrance is released in small bursts ever so often, and I've heard that our noses get used to the scent too quickly. Any excuse, really.

When I took a ride in the EQC and tested that system I was hit with a non-stop delivery of perfumed air which was quite potent on high, so I now know all of the above statements are false. There seems to be an issue that no one appears to have to figure out yet.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Seems to me this is a common issue as i have experienced this issue on my '14 S550 4matic, '16 S550 4matic and my '19 S63 AMG. After awhile I gave up trying to figure this out. I have been told by the dealer that after you become familiar to the smell that the smell is so subtle that one cannot smell it anymore. I think this is nonsense but I gave up trying to figure it out.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S 560 4 Matic
Interesting, I have a 2020 S560 4Matic and I can't find where there is the option to choose the intensity of the fragrance.
Can anybody share that info?
TIA
Old 02-21-2020, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by SunnyT
Not sure if this issue was brought up previously or if anyone already posted a solution. If they have, could you please post the link and sorry for the repeat.

Here's the issue I am having with the car. The fragrance system just does not seem to be kicking in at all. I have had the same scent bottle in there for a year now and set the Frangrance to Medium. One year later, barely a drop in the fluid level. I have pressed in the black tabs to make sure that the springs are not gummed up, nope works fine. I have changed the settings to off and back on hoping that would revive it, nothing. I have tried to look in the glovebox to see if something was obstructing the scent holder, nothing.

Now for the best part. This last weekend I was at a Mercedes sponsored event and they drove us around in the new EQC. It had the Air Balance package and a full fragrance bottle in it. I told the guy I'm having issues with mine and wanted to test it in this car. He let me turn on the fragrance and IT INSTANTLY WAFTED FRESH FRAGRANT AIR THROUGH THE VENTS!!! Now I know for a fact that my S-Class Air Balance does not work at all! I am absolutely stumped as to what the fix for this could be. Any helpful suggestions, links and possible fixes are welcomed and much appreciated!
I notice on mine that depending on fan speed and where vents are set ( Heating lower vs, upper ) does make a difference. Make sure the Fragrance bottle has the metal disk on the bottom, if it is missing, that will also cause a problem. When you open the glove box, you can sometimes hear the system retract to allow removal of the bottle.

Try this, set Fragrance to high, set the temp to auto and make sure the upper (front) vents are active and open, normal auto speed with cabin temp set a bit cooler than normal so its using upper vents. It should do its thing about every 9 to 12 minutes if i remember correctly, and it is subtle and only on for about 5 to 10 seconds at a time.
Good Luck.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 382 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I would also double check the bottle, not sure if there is a seal on it from new but if I recall there was one on mine. I have replaced the oil in mine with oil from Tommy Bahama, the oil that goes in the holders for room freshening. Works great and is a fraction of the cost. Tried cologne but it is so thin that it evaporates after about a month.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:37 AM

2019 S560 Maybach
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Try this, set Fragrance to high, set the temp to auto and make sure the upper (front) vents are active and open, normal auto speed with cabin temp set a bit cooler than normal so its using upper vents. It should do its thing about every 9 to 12 minutes if i remember correctly, and it is subtle and only on for about 5 to 10 seconds at a time.
The bottle in there does have the magnet and pulls itself into place when placing the bottle in there, so I know that works. But I don't think I've ever heard it retract.
I'm going to give what you mentioned here a try. I did try to play with the speeds and fans to have only the ones facing you blow air at maximum output, but alas no fragrance was emitted. I'll try it the way you described it.

Originally Posted by superpop
I would also double check the bottle, not sure if there is a seal on it from new but if I recall there was one on mine. I have replaced the oil in mine with oil from Tommy Bahama, the oil that goes in the holders for room freshening. Works great and is a fraction of the cost. Tried cologne but it is so thin that it evaporates after about a month.
I checked to see if there was a seal, but nothing to be found. I can press in the black tabs on the lid without issue and the magnet on the bottom is there, so the bottle is fully intact. Just as a side note for you since you refilled your bottle, I did read on another forum that when you replace the scent that you should only use water or alcohol-based fragrances. Any oil-based ones will mess with the system. Just something to be mindful of when filling it back up.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:39 PM

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Make sure the Fragrance bottle has the metal disk on the bottom, if it is missing, that will also cause a problem.
Thanks for that info.
My scent basically stopped working and, after reading your post, I checked and found that my scent jar didn't have the metal disk. I vaguely recall finding a small metal disk on the floor and, since I couldn't find where it was supposed to go, threw it out.
I got another scent jar WITH the disk and will give that a try.
Thanks for the info that we would otherwise never find out.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by as.thompson
Thanks for that info.
My scent basically stopped working and, after reading your post, I checked and found that my scent jar didn't have the metal disk. I vaguely recall finding a small metal disk on the floor and, since I couldn't find where it was supposed to go, threw it out.
I got another scent jar WITH the disk and will give that a try.
Thanks for the info that we would otherwise never find out.
That would explain it as the jar would be a bit too low. That is not a magnet, its a metal disk. You can glue a metal washer to the bottom, it will work.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:26 PM

2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
That would explain it as the jar would be a bit too low. That is not a magnet, its a metal disk. You can glue a metal washer to the bottom, it will work.
Great to know. Thanks! I'll do that today! :-)
Old 03-05-2020, 02:14 AM

2019 S560 Maybach
FIXED THE ISSUE!!

So the issue I had with the car had nothing to do with the jar!

Upon having my local MB service manager scan the vehicle we tested the system because he suspected there might just be an electronic fault creating the malfunction. He attached the scanning device and we both saw that indeed the AirBalance Fragrance system worked perfectly fine electronically, but neither of us smelled a scent.

The last two culprits were the housing you put the jar in itself or the hose connector behind the glove box to the diffusor port right in the middle of the infotainment screen (Check for the small vent in front of the screen and there is a tiny hole in between the two vents. That's where the scent comes from).
He took apart the glove box and half the dash to access the hose. We took it out and inspected it. It was bone dry and has no liquid residue from the perfume, confirming that it never pulled any fragrance fluid!

Although there were no obvious tears or kinks, he said that even if it is not coupled correctly on either end, the smallest vacuum leak can cause the system to not be strong enough to pull fragrance from the bottle.

Upon firmly reattaching the hose to the coupling points, he fired up the AirBalance system and BOOM!! STRONG, NOTICABLE, SCENT IMMEDIATELY AND UNINTERUPTEDLY SHOT INTO THE CABIN!!!

It must have been the hose that wasn't properly attached from the factory!!!

Hope this helps anyone who is having issues and only got some BS excuse from the dealer that "you got used to the smell" or "the scent is very faint" or "the system only injects scent once all the stars in the universe align in a certain position".
Tell them to electronically check the system with the computer first and then TELL THEM TO CHECK THE DAMN HOSE!

P.S. Took him about 2hrs to go from computer diagnostic to putting the dash and glovebox back in. It's not a super involved process.
The following 6 users liked this post by SunnyT:
George A. (07-15-2023), madkow70 (07-14-2020), MBNUT1 (03-07-2020), mikey94025 (03-05-2020), Nice Ride (03-06-2020), SilberGrau57 (03-05-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
200E320,2006CLS500,20102015 S550 4 matic,Panamera,1991 porsche 964
picture please

Tried looking for hole described .can you send a picture please.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Checking hose, DIY see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
install glove compartment.pdf (646.9 KB, 900 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by konigstiger:
ccww (07-14-2020), steinjr (02-22-2024)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:33 PM

2019 S560 Maybach
If you look at the pdf above labeled "Install Trim Strip on Dashboard" it is the vent with item #4 depicted. The one in front of the infotainment screen. Didn't have a pic of mine handy, but here's an image I pulled from Google.

The red circle, tiny hole in between the two air vents, is the tube exit that connects to the perfume bottle holder in the glovebox.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (03-09-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes W212
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Seems to me this is a common issue as i have experienced this issue on my '14 S550 4matic, '16 S550 4matic and my '19 S63 AMG. After awhile I gave up trying to figure this out. I have been told by the dealer that after you become familiar to the smell that the smell is so subtle that one cannot smell it anymore. I think this is nonsense but I gave up trying to figure it out.
Hi there.

I have a UK model S Class W222 with the air balance system. Go to Vehicle Settings and scroll round for Climate Control or just press "Menu" on the climate control panel (row of silver buttons across the central facia). This will give you access to Ozone control and Air balance settings (Low = 1, Medium = 2 and High= 3). There is a good video on YouTube:-

NB: The Glass bottle is refillable. DO NOT twist the cap off or use a hypodermic needle to inject air freshner fluid. MB have deliberately made it difficult in order to charge us all $130 for a new refilled bottle.

To open the glass bottle be aware that it is made up of 4 components: -
1. Black Top Cap.
2. Chrome "MB" logo locking ring.
3. Inner Air Control valve housing.
4. Glass bottle with a magnetic base.

NB: These components only fit one way round. I wasted about 45 minutes the first time, trying to line them all up. Top Cap is held in place by 3 locking tangs, to prevent it from being unscrewed. Before you start - mark the Top Cap, chrome "MB logo" locking ring and glass bottle with a wax crayon or insulating tape (in a straight line top to bottom- in 3 separate strips). You will need a thin plastic or wood (wooden ice lolly stick is fine) "pry" tool. Gently lever the Top Cap out and upwards releasing the three tangs (clips). Next lift off the chrome locking ring. Now the inner control valve unit will easily unscrew from the glass bottle. Wash out the glass bottle and refill with an oil-based air freshner (as confirmed by MB USA). There are plenty on sale in Target, Publix & Winn Dixie for about $5. Do not overfill - just 15 ml will last 6 - 12 months on Medium setting (No. 2). It may only last 3 months in hot climate (e.g. Florida). DO NOT wash out the inner control valve unit. DO NOT drill a hole in the top cap. The inner control unit has sensitive valves that do not take kindly to water or drills! Re-assembly is so much simpler if the Top Cap, chrome "MB logo” locking ring and glass bottle are all lined up using the crayon or tape markers. I have been using this process for 3 1/2 years now without any problems. If you want to pay MB $130 for a refill then that's OK. I am selling refill kits on eBay for Ł9.95 (about $12.50) with free UK postage. Overseas buyers can get overseas delivery using eBay's GSP (Global Sales Programme) with heavily discounted prices for eBay customers.

Hope that helps all MB Air Control system owners and will save you a fortune over 2 - 3 years.

Philip Smith
Chester UK
Old 07-14-2020, 06:10 AM

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
FIXED THE ISSUE!!

Upon having my local MB service manager scan the vehicle we tested the system because he suspected there might just be an electronic fault creating the malfunction. He attached the scanning device and we both saw that indeed the AirBalance Fragrance system worked perfectly fine electronically, but neither of us smelled a scent.

The last two culprits were the housing you put the jar in itself or the hose connector behind the glove box to the diffusor port right in the middle of the infotainment screen (Check for the small vent in front of the screen and there is a tiny hole in between the two vents. That's where the scent comes from).
He took apart the glove box and half the dash to access the hose. We took it out and inspected it. It was bone dry and has no liquid residue from the perfume, confirming that it never pulled any fragrance fluid!

Although there were no obvious tears or kinks, he said that even if it is not coupled correctly on either end, the smallest vacuum leak can cause the system to not be strong enough to pull fragrance from the bottle.

Upon firmly reattaching the hose to the coupling points, he fired up the AirBalance system and BOOM!! STRONG, NOTICABLE, SCENT IMMEDIATELY AND UNINTERUPTEDLY SHOT INTO THE CABIN!!!

Hope this helps anyone who is having issues and only got some BS excuse from the dealer that "you got used to the smell" or "the scent is very faint" or "the system only injects scent once all the stars in the universe align in a certain position".
Tell them to electronically check the system with the computer first and then TELL THEM TO CHECK THE DAMN HOSE!

P.S. Took him about 2hrs to go from computer diagnostic to putting the dash and glovebox back in. It's not a super involved process.

well done.
very useful info. thank you for sharing.
Danielsan (09-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2020, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
FIXED THE ISSUE!!

Also, if the glovebox is not closed and or bad sensor, the system will not work. When you open the glovebox, it immediately shuts off/releases the jar connection. If you listen carefully, you will hear the motor release.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Typical dealer type response lol.. i wouldn't know, my canister has been empty for years
Old 08-27-2022, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 500 2022
2022 S class air balance system

I just got a S 500 last week with air balance package as standard, but no system in it. they say its due to non availability of parts, supply chain issue. they only gave me $70 off.
I am upset with it, as it's standard on all S classes. I am requesting dealer to install it once its available.
Any comments or others having same issue?
Old 08-27-2022, 07:33 PM

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
I just can't imagine being a part of this Current buying environment whereas Options, parts and even standard equipmemt is just omitted.... Somehow I have to wait this current market condition out, as I don't want to spend $60000 above above sticker and also I want the options and features as advertised... A refund wont do it

Originally Posted by BK17
I just got a S 500 last week with air balance package as standard, but no system in it. they say its due to non availability of parts, supply chain issue. they only gave me $70 off.
I am upset with it, as it's standard on all S classes. I am requesting dealer to install it once its available.
Any comments or others having same issue?
Old 08-28-2022, 11:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by kafklatsch
I just can't imagine being a part of this Current buying environment whereas Options, parts and even standard equipmemt is just omitted.... Somehow I have to wait this current market condition out, as I don't want to spend $60000 above above sticker and also I want the options and features as advertised... A refund wont do it
and again
drose224 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by as.thompson
Great to know. Thanks! I'll do that today! :-)
did that work? Still struggling with mine. Does your magnet force the jar to be tight against the roof of the system? What does it mean by “retract”?
Old 09-18-2022, 12:45 PM

2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Trulyblessed
did that work? Still struggling with mine. Does your magnet force the jar to be tight against the roof of the system? What does it mean by “retract”?
I put a washer on the bottom of the fragrance jar to replace the metal disk that had fallen off (and I had discarded before I found out what it was for). My fragrance now works better than before. But I also put some more fragrance in the jar so I'm not sure which, or both, made the difference. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2022, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Trulyblessed
The Jar has a metal disk in the bottom, not a magnet. The magnet is in the bottom of the Jar Holder. It merely keeps the jar from sliding out when the system is not active. When the system activates, a tiny motor pushes down on the middle of the center cap of the jar exposing the scent to the system which blows a small amount into the cabin for about only 2 to 3 seconds. It does NOT stay open. After about 9 to 12 minutes, it will do it again. (at least this is how mine operated on the high setting). If you open up the Glove box, the motor will automatically retract to allow removal of the jar, if it is in the middle of a cycle, it will stop to allow the jar to be removed. In my car 2014, Randomly the 9-to-12-minute activation will just stop working and start up on its own. The Scent DOES NOT come out of the standard vents, it is as described in the above photos as a direct tiny hose in the center dash within the center vent.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nice Ride:
as.thompson (09-18-2022), leroysch (09-18-2022), MB221 (09-19-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air Balance Fragrance Issue