S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Extended Warranty Recommenations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 S550
Extended Warranty Recommenations

Hi there, just bought a CPO 2016 S550 4matic with 58k miles. Car history is very clean with no major maintenance issues. Trying to figure out the best place to extended the warranty beyond the CPO 1 year. Go with Mercedes or another provider?

Any recommendations?

Thank you
Old 03-17-2021, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Whatever company you decide to go with, go with "exclusionary coverage" only, which means that the policy will cover everything on the car except for the items which are explicitly excluded. Those are usually the top end policies that each company will sell. And be sure to get a sample copy of the contracts and read them from front to back so you know exactly what the exclusions are and what you are getting yourself into. I purchased a policy through Endurance in December that added 7 years or 100k miles of exclusionary coverage for around $4100 on my 30k mile car that was outside of factory warranty. So I'm covered until the end of 2027 or 130k miles. It is also transferable if I decide to sell the car via private party in the future, which could add significant value to the car as nobody wants to own a higher mileage S-class without coverage, unless you've got deep pockets like Katie. My policy has already paid out over $2000 on a claim I had last month for some gaskets that began leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold. My policy pays the avg labor rate for my area, which happened to be $157/hr. My dealer's rate was $185, so I was responsible for the difference. Fortunately the dealer agreed to lower their rate on the claim to $165/hr, thus softening the out of pocket cost to me.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:57 AM

2016 S550
Thank you. In terms of the exclusionary policies, what i have read is that they seem to have the "wear and tear" catch all exclusion. I read so many bad reviews of Endurance bucketing so many things into this category to deny claims. Have you had any experience with that?
Old 03-17-2021, 12:28 PM

2016 S550
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Whatever company you decide to go with, go with "exclusionary coverage" only, which means that the policy will cover everything on the car except for the items which are explicitly excluded. Those are usually the top end policies that each company will sell. And be sure to get a sample copy of the contracts and read them from front to back so you know exactly what the exclusions are and what you are getting yourself into. I purchased a policy through Endurance in December that added 7 years or 100k miles of exclusionary coverage for around $4100 on my 30k mile car that was outside of factory warranty. So I'm covered until the end of 2027 or 130k miles. It is also transferable if I decide to sell the car via private party in the future, which could add significant value to the car as nobody wants to own a higher mileage S-class without coverage, unless you've got deep pockets like Katie. My policy has already paid out over $2000 on a claim I had last month for some gaskets that began leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold. My policy pays the avg labor rate for my area, which happened to be $157/hr. My dealer's rate was $185, so I was responsible for the difference. Fortunately the dealer agreed to lower their rate on the claim to $165/hr, thus softening the out of pocket cost to me.
So I just got a quote for 5-yr policy from Endurance for $4700. They told me this is their highest level contract that is exclusionary. However there is a long list of parts not covered....of particular concern is the shock absorbers and struts. Should I be concerned about that or can i get a more all inclusive policy somewhere?

NON-COVERED PARTS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: CARBURETOR, THROTTLE BODY, BATTERY, BATTERY CABLES, SHOCK ABSORBERS, STRUTS, MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC LINKAGES, DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR, WIRES, SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS (INCLUDING AIR BAGS), GLASS, FUSES, CIRCUIT BREAKERS, TELEPHONES, TELEVISION/DVD PLAYER, ELECTRONIC AND SATELLITE TRANSMITTING/RECEIVING DEVICES, BRAKE ROTORS AND DRUMS, EXHAUST SYSTEM, EVAPORATIVE AND EXHAUST EMISSION SYSTEMS, OXYGEN SENSORS, ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (UNLESS THE ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL COVERAGE WAS SELECTED AND PURCHASED AS SHOWN ON THE REGISTRATION PAGE), NAVIGATIONAL SYSTEMS (UNLESS THE ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL COVERAGE WAS SELECTED AND PURCHASED AS SHOWN ON THE REGISTRATION PAGE), NAVIGATIONAL SYSTEM UPDATES AND DISCS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, BRIGHT METAL, CHROME, UPHOLSTERY, CARPET, ZIPPERS; NUTS, BOLTS, AND FASTENERS; CUP HOLDERS, DASH PAD AND VENTS, SEAT FRAME, SEAT FRAME RECLINER MECHANISM, PAINT, OUTSIDE ORNAMENTATION, INSIDE AND OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLES, MIRRORS, HINGES, LIFTGATE AND HOOD SUPPORTS, HUB CAPS/WHEEL COVERS, BUMPERS, BODY SHEET METAL AND PANELS, BODY PARTS, FRAME AND ENGINE CRADLES, BODY MOUNTS, MOUNTING BRACKETS AND STRUCTURAL BODY PARTS, VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS, TIRES, WHEELS/ RIMS, NEAR OBJECT AVOIDANCE SYSTEMS, SPEAKERS AND WIRING, VOICE RECOGNITION SYSTEMS, PERIMETER WARNING SYSTEMS OR ANY PART THEREOF, INFRARED SYSTEMS OR ANY PART THEREOF; MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC CLUTCH ASSEMBLY SUCH AS, BUT NOT LIMITED TO: MANUAL CLUTCH PEDAL, CLUTCH DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, CLUTCH MASTER AND SLAVE CYLINDER AND THROW-OUT BEARING. ANY COMPONENT THAT ITS ONLY PURPOSE IS FOR ILLUMINATION SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TO: SEALED BEAMS; HIGH-INTENSITY DISCHARGE (XEON) HEADLAMPS, LEDs, LIGHT BULBS, HEAD LAMP, PROJECTION LAMP ASSEMBLIES AND LENSES. SEALS AND GASKETS ARE COVERED ONLY IF NEEDED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A COVERED REPAIR FOR VEHICLES WITH UP TO EIGHTY THOUSAND (80,000) ODOMETER MILES AT THE TIME OF THE BREAKDOWN.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by benz1983
Thank you. In terms of the exclusionary policies, what i have read is that they seem to have the "wear and tear" catch all exclusion. I read so many bad reviews of Endurance bucketing so many things into this category to deny claims. Have you had any experience with that?
The wear and tear items are explicitly explained in the contract. I've had my car less than 3 months and they've already paid on a claim. I did get some pushback from them on the claim, but it had to do with the oil leaking only around 400 miles after the policy went into effect (30 days or 1000 miles after purchase, whichever comes later). I understood their concern to make sure it wasn't a "pre-existing" condition, but I would never have purchased the car if it had an oil leak. Fortunately it didn't take long to get past that hurdle and they did pay for the repairs.

BTW, Endurance was the seller of the warranty. MEPCO is the actual company that pays out the claims.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
What you received from Endurance is not the same policy as I have. Here are the exclusions on my policy:

PARTS AND SERVICES NOT COVERED
This Agreement does NOT provide coverage for any of the following parts or services:
(a) Interior maintenance, adjustment and wear items including buttons, carpet, water
leaks, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs, rearview mirror (glass, housing, housing
contents), and trim.
(b) Exterior maintenance, adjustment and wear items including but not limited to glass,
service adjustments for body parts, bright metal, bumpers, body panels, door handles, latches,
hinges, moldings, outside ornamentation, convertible or vinyl tops, paint rust, sheet metal,
side-view mirrors (glass, housing, housing contents), air and water leaks, weather-strip, wheel
covers/ornaments, wind noise, and physical damage to alignment, bumper, or body parts.
(c) Service adjustments/cleaning, a contaminated fuel system, air conditioning recharge,
all batteries, all hybrid batteries,electronic transmitting and receiving devices failure due to
battery loss of capacity, battery cables, fuses, relays, bolts and fasteners, belts, brakes (drums,
shoes, linings, disc rotors and pads), exhaust system (including catalytic converter), lights
(ANY COMPONENT WHOSE ONLY PURPOSE IS FOR ILLUMINATION, SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED
TO: SEALED BEAMS, HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE (XENON) HEADLAMP, LEDS, LIGHT
BULBS, LENSES), manual clutch, pressure plate throw out bearings, clutch master or slave
cylinder, manual transmission clutch disc and lining, shock absorbers, spark plugs and wires,
squeaks or other noises, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing and alignment, wheel studs, wiper
blades, shop supplies, friction materials, glass, hoses (except steering and air conditioning).
Filters, lubricants, coolants, refrigerants, fluids and taxes (where required by law) will be covered
only if required in conjunction with the repair or replacement of a Covered Part.
(d) A replacement part not supplied by the Vehicle manufacturer, unless it is of a kind and
quality compatible with the design specifications and wear tolerances of the vehicle manufacturer.
(e) Cases, housing, engine block and cylinder heads are covered only if damaged by the
failure of an internally lubricated part.
(f) Unless Smart Tech option or Total Exclusionary Coverage has been selected and paid
for
the following Factory Installed Components/Systems: Speaker system; Rear Entertainment
System; Hot-Spot WiFi Module; Bluetooth Systems; Collision Avoidance System; Blind
Spot Monitoring System; Park Assist System; Keyless Access System (not key fob); Remote
Start System; Homelink/Garage Door Control Transmitter; Electronic transmitting and receiving
devices, DVD Players; VHS Players; Telephones; Radar Detectors; GPS Equipment / System;
and Gaming System. All aftermarket components are excluded.
(g) Seals and Gaskets on Covered Parts are not covered for premature failure on vehicles
with over 150,000 miles on the odometer at the time of failure. After 150,000 miles seals and
gaskets will be covered only if required in conjunction with a covered repair.

BTW, the prices on their policies are negotiable. You should be able to get at least $300 knocked off the cost. They'll also finance it at 0% for 3 years.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:46 PM

2016 S550
What you received from Endurance is not the same policy as I have. Here are the exclusions on my policy:

PARTS AND SERVICES NOT COVERED
This Agreement does NOT provide coverage for any of the following parts or services:
(a) Interior maintenance, adjustment and wear items including buttons, carpet, water
leaks, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs, rearview mirror (glass, housing, housing
contents), and trim.
(b) Exterior maintenance, adjustment and wear items including but not limited to glass,
service adjustments for body parts, bright metal, bumpers, body panels, door handles, latches,
hinges, moldings, outside ornamentation, convertible or vinyl tops, paint rust, sheet metal,
side-view mirrors (glass, housing, housing contents), air and water leaks, weather-strip, wheel
covers/ornaments, wind noise, and physical damage to alignment, bumper, or body parts.
(c) Service adjustments/cleaning, a contaminated fuel system, air conditioning recharge,
all batteries, all hybrid batteries,electronic transmitting and receiving devices failure due to
battery loss of capacity, battery cables, fuses, relays, bolts and fasteners, belts, brakes (drums,
shoes, linings, disc rotors and pads), exhaust system (including catalytic converter), lights
(ANY COMPONENT WHOSE ONLY PURPOSE IS FOR ILLUMINATION, SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED
TO: SEALED BEAMS, HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE (XENON) HEADLAMP, LEDS, LIGHT
BULBS, LENSES), manual clutch, pressure plate throw out bearings, clutch master or slave
cylinder, manual transmission clutch disc and lining, shock absorbers, spark plugs and wires,
squeaks or other noises, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing and alignment, wheel studs, wiper
blades, shop supplies, friction materials, glass, hoses (except steering and air conditioning).
Filters, lubricants, coolants, refrigerants, fluids and taxes (where required by law) will be covered
only if required in conjunction with the repair or replacement of a Covered Part.
(d) A replacement part not supplied by the Vehicle manufacturer, unless it is of a kind and
quality compatible with the design specifications and wear tolerances of the vehicle manufacturer.
(e) Cases, housing, engine block and cylinder heads are covered only if damaged by the
failure of an internally lubricated part.
(f) Unless Smart Tech option or Total Exclusionary Coverage has been selected and paid
for
the following Factory Installed Components/Systems: Speaker system; Rear Entertainment
System; Hot-Spot WiFi Module; Bluetooth Systems; Collision Avoidance System; Blind
Spot Monitoring System; Park Assist System; Keyless Access System (not key fob); Remote
Start System; Homelink/Garage Door Control Transmitter; Electronic transmitting and receiving
devices, DVD Players; VHS Players; Telephones; Radar Detectors; GPS Equipment / System;
and Gaming System. All aftermarket components are excluded.
(g) Seals and Gaskets on Covered Parts are not covered for premature failure on vehicles
with over 150,000 miles on the odometer at the time of failure. After 150,000 miles seals and
gaskets will be covered only if required in conjunction with a covered repair.

BTW, the prices on their policies are negotiable. You should be able to get at least $300 knocked off the cost. They'll also finance it at 0% for 3 years.
Thanks for the help. I guess my next question is why are our contracts different? Are the covered items customizable?
Old 03-17-2021, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Thanks for the help. I guess my next question is why are our contracts different? Are the covered items customizable?
I think Endurance is a broker that deals with a lot of different companies. My policy is serviced through MEPCO. They may also have their own brand of policies.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:53 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
I bought an 8yr/80k Fidelity Platinum warranty in April 2019 for my out of warranty 15 S550 that was purchased in a private transaction, but had only 6,200 mi. Paid $4,000 and have used for nearly $2,000 already (service advisor handled claim). Fidelity was recommended by a couple of dealers mentioned on the forum that sell extended warranties, although you can get it from any dealer that has a relationship with Fidelity. I was able to negotiate a better price from a local MB dealer. Obviously deductible will affect price as well.

Warranty excludes damage from accidents, any repairs covered by insurance, failure due to misuse, etc. and this:

UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;

Last edited by TNS550; 03-17-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:00 PM

My policy pays the avg labor rate for my area, which happened to be $157/hr. My dealer's rate was $185, so I was responsible for the difference. Fortunately the dealer agreed to lower their rate on the claim to $165/hr, thus softening the out of pocket cost to me.
Apparently my policy pays the full rate as there was a note on my service ticket to: make sure parts quote are at MSRP and labor at full rate.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:45 PM

2016 S550
Originally Posted by TNS550
I bought an 8yr/80k Fidelity Platinum warranty in April 2019 for my out of warranty 15 S550 that was purchased in a private transaction, but had only 6,200 mi. Paid $4,000 and have used for nearly $2,000 already (service advisor handled claim). Fidelity was recommended by a couple of dealers mentioned on the forum that sell extended warranties, although you can get it from any dealer that has a relationship with Fidelity. I was able to negotiate a better price from a local MB dealer. Obviously deductible will affect price as well.

Warranty excludes damage from accidents, any repairs covered by insurance, failure due to misuse, etc. and this:

UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;
Thanks a lot. Appreciate the recommendation. Man this is confusing. I just called Fidelity and got a quote of $11k for a 4 year policy! Nuts.

Mercedes extra 2 years on top of the 1 year CPO is only like $5k.

Looking for any other recommendations on getting a 5 year warranty on a 2016 S550 with 60k miles.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2021, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by TNS550
Apparently my policy pays the full rate as there was a note on my service ticket to: make sure parts quote are at MSRP and labor at full rate.
I was told the exact same thing when I purchased my coverage. But once I had to file a claim, I found out that they only pay the avg labor rate for the area. Parts are paid out at MSRP. I also found out that MB has a lot of single use nuts and bolts on their cars, which are not covered under my policy. So that added around $300 to the bill when I had the gaskets replaced.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Thanks a lot. Appreciate the recommendation. Man this is confusing. I just called Fidelity and got a quote of $11k for a 4 year policy! Nuts.

Looking for any other recommendations on getting a 5 year warranty on a 2016 S550 with 60k miles.

Thanks
That's not surprising for a Fidelity quote at your starting mileage. They are one of the highest priced after-market warranties out there, although I've heard nothing but good things about working with them on claims.

You already know which policy I have and what my one experience has been like.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:48 AM

Thanks
Vehicle miles at warranty purchase, deductible, and term seems to be the principal pricing factors. In my case, even though the car was placed in service in September 2014, it only had 6,200 miles on it. Also, mentioned, these are negotiable. If you have a relationship with a non MB dealer call them to get a price as well.

I was told the exact same thing when I purchased my coverage. But once I had to file a claim, I found out that they only pay the avg labor rate for the area. Parts are paid out at MSRP. I also found out that MB has a lot of single use nuts and bolts on their cars, which are not covered under my policy. So that added around $300 to the bill when I had the gaskets replaced.
My claim was replacing the pneumatic pump for seats, and reinstall software as touch pad was not working. We'll see what happens if I have a mechanical claim.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Thoughts on Mercedes extended warranty?
Old 03-18-2021, 01:20 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
Hi there, just bought a CPO 2016 S550 4matic with 58k miles. Car history is very clean with no major maintenance issues. Trying to figure out the best place to extended the warranty beyond the CPO 1 year. Go with Mercedes or another provider?

Any recommendations?

Thank you
Your best bet is to go with the Mercedes warranty -- I'd get an additional two years if it was my car. This will depend, of course, on how long you plan to keep it. Each dealer is free to charge whatever they want for the warranty, relative to them making a profit. I've found that Cassandra Castro at the dealership in Milwaukee has the best prices. Just give her your VIN and she will shoot back a quote. Her number is 414-543-3000 ext 115 or ccastro@iamilwaukee.com

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Just keep in mind that MB extended warranties are not comprehensive coverage. They would be considered "middle of the road" policies when comparing to after-market policies.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Just keep in mind that MB extended warranties are not comprehensive coverage. They would be considered "middle of the road" policies when comparing to after-market policies.
Can you please elaborate? Curious here to learn the differences. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:58 PM

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
Your best bet is to go with the Mercedes warranty -- I'd get an additional two years if it was my car. This will depend, of course, on how long you plan to keep it. Each dealer is free to charge whatever they want for the warranty, relative to them making a profit. I've found that Cassandra Castro at the dealership in Milwaukee has the best prices. Just give her your VIN and she will shoot back a quote. Her number is 414-543-3000 ext 115 or ccastro@iamilwaukee.com

Good luck.
Cassandra new contact info is ccastro@mbofelmbrook.com. 262-821-5000. Ext 331
Old 03-19-2021, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by places
Can you please elaborate? Curious here to learn the differences. Thanks.
They are named component policies, not exclusionary. If the part that breaks is not explicitly named on the policy, it will not be covered. And if you elect to purchase 3 years of ELW coverage, the 3rd year only covers the powertrain and nothing else.
The following users liked this post:
places (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550