S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Michelin vs Continental, which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 574 Likes on 373 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Michelin vs Continental, which one?

Any advise on choosing between those two. They are the only ones that my local Discount tires offers and I also like both options available. Price is good (about 1500 USD) for either of them including installation as well as hazard warranty and lifetime free balance/rotation.

Option 1: NON run flat: MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4
Option 2: RUN FLAT: CONTINENTAL PRO CONTACT GX SSR
Option 3: NON run flat: Pirelli PZero All Season Plus

Two other options that are ranked highest in TireRack:
Option 4: Non run flat: BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980AS+
Option 5: Non run flat: CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS

Has anyone used any of these 5. Beside Pirelli PZero All Season Plus, the last 2 options (4 and 5) seem to have the best comfort and noise rating. CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS gets the highest ranking based on professional TiraRack testing, while BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980AS+ is the best based on consumers rating PZero All Season Plus has the lowest out of three but still one of the best 3 options overall.

Priority is for road noise and comfort for me . Sounds like reports on Michelin being loud, but read good reviews about Continental

Note: I already have a set of new winter tires for the 3 months of hard winter in my area. So, All-season performance in winter conditions is not an important factor for me.

Last edited by S_W222; 03-23-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 213 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
I have the Michelin AS4s in 20" on my W222. My two priorities are (1) comfort and (2) noise. The AS4s are very loud. I would not get them again.

Last edited by cfmistry; 03-17-2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by cfmistry
I have the Michelin AS4s in 20" on my W22. My two priorities are (1) comfort and (2) noise. The AS4s are very loud. I would not get them again.
Thanks a lot for confirming my understanding of online reviews. Sounds like road noise is a common comment about these tires.

Does anyone have experience with continental? They are RF, but if they are also quite, that is a win win for me.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:54 PM

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts
63 Falcon vert
No thoughts as to 20” NRF?
Old 03-16-2023, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Donnymac
No thoughts as to 20” NRF?
Sorry I didn’t get it; what do you mean?

My wheels are 19”. I have thought about buying a nice set of 20” wheels before I invest in the new tires. But I kinda like the 19” AMG wheels and the comfort…. 20” wheels is still something I may consider but unlikely…
Old 03-16-2023, 11:21 PM

63 Falcon vert
My fault. I was thinking you were 20s. I have a spare set of 20s that I want to try NRF soon.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I've been very happy with the conti GX SSR's. I have over 40,000 miles on the front tires and they still look good. I never figured a run flat would last this long. The rears are only good for around 25K miles but that what nearly 500 hp does to rear tires when you use it like I do. They are very quiet and the car handles good, no real complaints with these tires I may end up going with them on my E450 Wagon when the Michelin Primacy performance summer only tires wear out. Run Flats can save the day in the event of something penetrating the tire and have all the air leak out. I did have that happen in my wagon a couple of years ago with one of the Michelin Run Flat tires and was able to drive the car to a mercedes dealer where I bought a new tire.

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2023, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
So I had the conti dws in 20" on an s550 and now on an s560.... the fronts outer edge gets eaten in about 5-8k miles. I got about 25k miles on the rears but the inner edges were gone and the rest of the tire still looked new. The car had been aligned at the dealer 2x. Changed the fronts 2x before I changed the rears. Next set I thiunk ill try the Michelins.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
You’ve got camber issues it’s gonna go through any type of tires quickly.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 334 Likes on 217 Posts
S600
Last summer I went from 20" wheels to 19" wheels and when the wheels arrived I went with the Khumo Grand Touring tires.
I like them, smooth (even at 40 PSI), grippy, and quiet.
I don't have enough miles to know how long they will last.

I took a chance knowing that if I did not like them I would go Michelin and eat the cost. But now 9-months later, I am enjoying them. Funny how that works.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Last summer I went from 20" wheels to 19" wheels and when the wheels arrived I went with the Khumo Grand Touring tires.
I like them, smooth (even at 40 PSI), grippy, and quiet.
I don't have enough miles to know how long they will last.

I took a chance knowing that if I did not like them I would go Michelin and eat the cost. But now 9-months later, I am enjoying them. Funny how that works.
I just looked them up, they are less than half the price of Continental. They are like $660 for the entire set for 19" AMG Staggered wheels. Who makes them? Are they really quite? Should I really consider them instead of Continental?
Old 03-17-2023, 04:06 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,837 Posts
2012 CLS63
Michelin all day every day!
Old 03-17-2023, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,640 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
You will still see a ride quality difference with runflats on 19s. I had those SSRs new and replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXM4 non run flats and there was a ride quality improvement for sure. The SSRs are quiet for run flats. I wouldn't choose either tire...

I wouldn't choose a tire just because of brand, its model vs model.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:59 PM

63 Falcon vert
Assuming all frontend components are healthy, outside edge is normally excessive toe-in. Super easy to diagnose. MB frontend is not rocket science.

A qualified indy suspension shop can do toe/camber in their sleep.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
You will still see a ride quality difference with runflats on 19s. I had those SSRs new and replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXM4 non run flats and there was a ride quality improvement for sure. The SSRs are quiet for run flats. I wouldn't choose either tire...

I wouldn't choose a tire just because of brand, its model vs model.
Thanks @SW20S . I usually trust your judgment, and I still do. But how do you justify the really poor rating (relatively) on the Primacy MXM4. See link below.

Overall rating is. Would You Recommend? 6.3 - Fair
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Old 03-18-2023, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by S_W222
Thanks @SW20S . I usually trust your judgment, and I still do. But how do you justify the really poor rating (relatively) on the Primacy MXM4. See link below.

Overall rating is. Would You Recommend? 6.3 - Fair
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
I wouldn't say they are great tires at all, but they ride better than runflats. I replaced them with Pirelli PZero All Season Plus non runflats and I like them much better. I had them for 30,000 miles, and they replaced the SSRs when they had about 150 miles on them. They're a nice riding comfortable tire, not especially special in handling or anything else. I wouldn't buy them again not because they were bad but because there are much better tires. I chose them because at the time I wanted a grand touring tire and there are very few options.

I would take the user ratings on TireRack with a grain of salt. Tires that are typically OEM tires like the MXM4 get reviewed at the end of their life and through the lens of the reviewer already having driven the car on the new tires, and tires that are typically replacement tires get reviewed when they are brand new and through the lens of being compared to the old tires. New tires always feel much better than older tires, and the decline of old tires is so gradual you don't notice...until you replace them. What you want to read on TireRack are their instrumented tests where they are comparing tires that are all equal in terms of age.

I did extensive research and talked to a ton of people because I too wanted the best riding quietest tires, and I came down to the Pirelli Pzero All Season Plus and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus. If you look at TR's instrumented tests they are the top in the UHP All Season category for ride and noise. The reason I went with the Pirellis is some reviews said the DWS get louder as they age, but honestly I think they are great tires too,

The car drives better on UHP tires than grand touring tires.

This is the TR test that compares these two tires with the Michelin PS4S you are considering, as you can see those are objectively louder and harder riding than these tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=266

Last edited by SW20S; 03-18-2023 at 10:23 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SW20S:
barbancourt (07-24-2023), Donnymac (03-18-2023), LTGTRNOLA (03-19-2023), Quietride (03-28-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wouldn't say they are great tires at all, but they ride better than runflats. I replaced them with Pirelli PZero All Season Plus non runflats and I like them much better. I had them for 30,000 miles, and they replaced the SSRs when they had about 150 miles on them. They're a nice riding comfortable tire, not especially special in handling or anything else. I wouldn't buy them again not because they were bad but because there are much better tires. I chose them because at the time I wanted a grand touring tire and there are very few options.

I would take the user ratings on TireRack with a grain of salt. Tires that are typically OEM tires like the MXM4 get reviewed at the end of their life and through the lens of the reviewer already having driven the car on the new tires, and tires that are typically replacement tires get reviewed when they are brand new and through the lens of being compared to the old tires. New tires always feel much better than older tires, and the decline of old tires is so gradual you don't notice...until you replace them. What you want to read on TireRack are their instrumented tests where they are comparing tires that are all equal in terms of age.

I did extensive research and talked to a ton of people because I too wanted the best riding quietest tires, and I came down to the Pirelli Pzero All Season Plus and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus. If you look at TR's instrumented tests they are the top in the UHP All Season category for ride and noise. The reason I went with the Pirellis is some reviews said the DWS get louder as they age, but honestly I think they are great tires too,

The car drives better on UHP tires than grand touring tires.

This is the TR test that compares these two tires with the Michelin PS4S you are considering, as you can see those are objectively louder and harder riding than these tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=266

Thank you VERY VERY much; they is so informative and very useful. Now I am sold, I know exactly what to get!. My local Discount Tires dealer do not offer Pirelli PZero All Season Plus non runflats so I have to think about a way to get them without being worried about the hazard warranty issue not being sold directly by a local dealer. If it's not, am not sure what my options would be when times comes that I need a replacement tire (wait 1 week for a new tire?). Also, with those being NRF, I was hopping to get a RF option as we travel a lot.

If you needed RF tires, what would be your next option after those for a RF spec?

By the way, I had Pirelli PZero All Season Plus non runflats on my former W222 3-4 years ago; they did well but I never had to replace them so I didn't know how they compare to other tires. I remember the car was smooth and super quite but I had no baseline to compare with, that was the only tire I tested on that car.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by S_W222
Thank you VERY VERY much; they is so informative and very useful. Now I am sold, I know exactly what to get!. My local Discount Tires dealer do not offer Pirelli PZero All Season Plus non runflats so I have to think about a way to get them without being worried about the hazard warranty issue not being sold directly by a local dealer. If it's not, am not sure what my options would be when times comes that I need a replacement tire (wait 1 week for a new tire?). Also, with those being NRF, I was hopping to get a RF option as we travel a lot.

If you needed RF tires, what would be your next option after those for a RF spec?

By the way, I had Pirelli PZero All Season Plus non runflats on my former W222 3-4 years ago; they did well but I never had to replace them so I didn't know how they compare to other tires. I remember the car was smooth and super quite but I had no baseline to compare with, that was the only tire I tested on that car.
I wouldn't buy ANY RF. Even with a RF when traveling you can drive 50 miles and you will need a new tire, if you have sidewall damage you will be stranded anyways. So the flat that a RF would let you stay mobile is also one that the fix a flat kit and compressor would also cure just as well. No need for RFs. Niether of my cars have them, neither have spares either. I just don't see the value in RFs.

I have used the road hazard warranty with TireRack, I had a tire within a day, they ship really quickly...its really not an issue. I buy all my tires from TireRack. Bear in mind most tire shops will need a day to get you one of these tires as a replacement anyways.

In 25 years of driving I have only one time had a flat tire that was not immediately repairable by a roadside stop, and that was over 20 years ago. In fact, the last one I had AAA patched it and put it back on at the side of the road and never even put the spare on.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wouldn't buy ANY RF. Even with a RF when traveling you can drive 50 miles and you will need a new tire, if you have sidewall damage you will be stranded anyways. So the flat that a RF would let you stay mobile is also one that the fix a flat kit and compressor would also cure just as well. No need for RFs. Niether of my cars have them, neither have spares either. I just don't see the value in RFs.

I have used the road hazard warranty with TireRack, I had a tire within a day, they ship really quickly...its really not an issue. I buy all my tires from TireRack. Bear in mind most tire shops will need a day to get you one of these tires as a replacement anyways.

In 25 years of driving I have only one time had a flat tire that was not immediately repairable by a roadside stop, and that was over 20 years ago. In fact, the last one I had AAA patched it and put it back on at the side of the road and never even put the spare on.
What kind of "fix a flat kit" do you use or recommend? I have to admit and it's silly to say so but I never ever changes a spare not that am willing to give it a try in the future "I have minimal hands-on type of experience for heavy/medium tasks, my limit is changing air filters, and most of my experience is in software and tech. I can code any of my vehicles via a PC but can't fix mechanical stuff via a wrench. I do have the "fix a flat kit" from my BMW vehicle, and it comes with a compressor as well as a bottle that connects to the compressor and spray some liquid to cure inside the tire. If that really works, which I never tried in the past, maybe I can get NRF and have that piece of mind that if I get a flat tire at least I can drive to nearest tire shop..... thoughts?

Here is the BMW kit I have (it has a built in bottle with creamy fluid that can be triggered as needed to add liquid to the compressed air stream):
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...EaAnF-EALw_wcB

I have StateFarm road side assist. I did not know that roadside assist services can patch a tire. Do they have their own patching kit or should I keep one handy with me? Do all companies use the same roadside assist resource from a (pool of dispatchers)? I doubt they have their own employees/works/cars all around the country, but I have seen AAA labels on some vehicles.

Last edited by S_W222; 03-18-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Thats exactly the kit that my Chrysler has. This is the kit I bought for my S560:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/12v-tir...repair-system/

I would get one of those for the trunk and not worry about the runflats.

Yeah if they can plug a tire on the side of the road, they will. All those other services just call AAA. The last time I had a flat it was my 17 LS460L and I called Lexus roadside, they sent AAA.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats exactly the kit that my Chrysler has. This is the kit I bought for my S560:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/12v-tir...repair-system/

I would get one of those for the trunk and not worry about the runflats.

Yeah if they can plug a tire on the side of the road, they will. All those other services just call AAA. The last time I had a flat it was my 17 LS460L and I called Lexus roadside, they sent AAA.
The fact they would all call AAA is a good sign. State farm charges me exactly half what AAA wanted to charge me so I prefer to stay with StateFarm and pay their rate knowing that I still get indirect access to AAA fleet on the road in case of emergencies.

As for the flat tire kit, if u had tried that BMW kit for the Chrysler and it worked well for you I will just keep it in the S560 trunk in case I ever need it. Our BMW has RF and we barely take it on highways ever.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Yeah if you have that one, I would just keep that one. My guess is MB uses the same one.

Only reason to belong to AAA directly is I would imagine you get priority, and you get the discounts. 10% off any hotel, I pay for my AAA membership every year many times over
Old 03-18-2023, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah if you have that one, I would just keep that one. My guess is MB uses the same one.

Only reason to belong to AAA directly is I would imagine you get priority, and you get the discounts. 10% off any hotel, I pay for my AAA membership every year many times over
I would consider them again in the future, but right now the difference is not small (they are asking an additional $600 dollar on top of what I pay for State Farm now annually). Their home-insurance quote (which I need to move to them too) is also $1000 more per year, so that is a total $1,600 extra per year compared to StateFarm. This is the 2nd year that I tried them but the quote is much higher; sometimes I feel StateFarm did something wrong cause their quote is so much lower (I pay $90 a month for my BMW and $98 a month for my S560, full and premium coverages on both and 500 deductible).
Only reason I tried AAA is because I hate that StateFarm monitors my acceleration and drive style for discounts, I kinda wants to enjoy my car lol! Does AAA have the same drive safe and save typo of module or discount? With StateFarm the total discounts I get from that is about $550 per year.

Last edited by S_W222; 03-18-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Where are you paying that much for AAA? Its like $100 a year. Not AAA insurance...just the AAA motor club

Old 03-18-2023, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where are you paying that much for AAA? Its like $100 a year. Not AAA insurance...just the AAA motor club
I fully misunderstood. Thought this was part of the Auto Insurance. I will take a look. For 10% OFF hotels that might be worth it. Any other benefits that worth mentioning?

Last edited by S_W222; 03-18-2023 at 04:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin vs Continental, which one?