S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Do we really need XENTRY / STAR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 04:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Do we really need XENTRY / STAR

Hello all,

in another thread of mine, I posted about a new Auxiliary battery installed in the hope of it clearing 3 warning messages that occurred at the same time (lane keeping assist, active brake assist and blind spit assist inoperative).

i decided to call a dealer to get this done properly (Melbourne Australia) - I was quoted $500 just for the diagnostic check and given the earliest workshop date of 1st week April.

i know a local garage that has a couple of workshop grade diagnostic tools - he fixes modern day Toyota, Kia and Hyundai - these also have LKA, Brake assist etc.

I am looking for a guru on this forum to help.
I am led to believe that for the replacement of a radar control module or sensor (apart from the entire bumper having to come off) the new module will need re-coding AND only a registered XENTRY or STAR system can do this. Apparently the system interface with Mercedes Germany to ensure the coding system is a properly registered one at a dealer. It also check the IP address etc.

is this true ?

noting - In Australia, even Mercedes Independent workshops have much trouble sourcing the proper XENTRY licenses and computer / software.

thanks …
Old 02-05-2024, 11:12 PM

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
I would just try disconnecting the negative battery cable from the main battery for 20-30 min. Reconnect, hopefully all of the modules reset themselves and your problems are resolved.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:35 PM

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
I would say you need xentry for these cars.
aliexpress is the best place to order a set up.
saves alot of time and money fixing these cars.
its mostly a computer with an engine.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:59 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vinflouen
I would say you need xentry for these cars.
aliexpress is the best place to order a set up.
saves alot of time and money fixing these cars.
its mostly a computer with an engine.
Hi Vincheung and Vinflouen,

Thanks for your responses.
I took my car to an independent European Cars Workshop.
They used an AUTEL diagnostic tablet. Ran diagnostics. A fault for the passenger side rear radar malfunction came up. It said something about an adaptation needed to be done. The technician pressed continue and literally 2 minutes later the message was adaptation complete. "drive the car for 20 kms for the radar / sensor to re-calibrate. All 3 warning messages disappeared.
The following users liked this post:
vincheung (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 714 Likes on 462 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by Joshua
Hi Vincheung and Vinflouen,

Thanks for your responses.
I took my car to an independent European Cars Workshop.
They used an AUTEL diagnostic tablet. Ran diagnostics. A fault for the passenger side rear radar malfunction came up. It said something about an adaptation needed to be done. The technician pressed continue and literally 2 minutes later the message was adaptation complete. "drive the car for 20 kms for the radar / sensor to re-calibrate. All 3 warning messages disappeared.
Sounds like you got the issue fixed, awesome.
AUTEL or Xentry, it doesn’t matter, just get what u need. They are all the same, AliExress or cloned chinese Xentry, that’s all what everyone uses including 3rd party vendors or shops. Mbenz does NOT sell licenses and hence everyone uses some form of a hacked license. If someone tells u otherwise to scare you, he is a liar liar liar lol. Your Mbenz dealer is the only legitimate shop, others are all just wanting your money doing business. Enjoy your car man, go anywhere it doesn’t matter and don’t listen to the noise, we all get our cars fixed at 3rd party shops, good one is all u need.

Last edited by S_W222; 02-06-2024 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:45 PM

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
Thats pretty much it.
Autel is good.
adaptation and drive for like 13 miles and if fhe error does not come back on your good.
glad you got it worked out.
there are scan tool models that work for MB, they are all really the same now, such as higher end autels, but xentry is the best because you can do a few things that autel or other scanners cant.
i also have an aliexpress one.
works great
S_W222 (02-06-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 04:49 PM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
With every passing year Xentry is getting to be less and less useful to the DIYer, especially if you have a newer model. It's now at the point that you need certificates installed in Xentry. Otherwise, modules in the vehicle won't respond to diagnostic requests. You can do the basic quick scan and see/clear faults, but nothing else. Those certificates are only provided to MB online subscribers. You must have an online MB account to do flashing and SCN coding. That's been true for quite some time.

Companies like Autel get around most of the limitations, but you have to buy their higher end tools to get those features. They run around $3K and up and also require annual subscriptions. The difference is that you can actually get a subscription from Autel if you choose to pay. MB won't give a subscription to just anyone. You have to qualify.

Right to repair hasn't made it into the auto industry as of yet and maybe never will.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:48 PM
SPONSOR

Received 842 Likes on 653 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by jmattioni
With every passing year Xentry is getting to be less and less useful to the DIYer, especially if you have a newer model. It's now at the point that you need certificates installed in Xentry. Otherwise, modules in the vehicle won't respond to diagnostic requests. You can do the basic quick scan and see/clear faults, but nothing else. Those certificates are only provided to MB online subscribers. You must have an online MB account to do flashing and SCN coding. That's been true for quite some time.

Companies like Autel get around most of the limitations, but you have to buy their higher end tools to get those features. They run around $3K and up and also require annual subscriptions. The difference is that you can actually get a subscription from Autel if you choose to pay. MB won't give a subscription to just anyone. You have to qualify.

Right to repair hasn't made it into the auto industry as of yet and maybe never will.

Just get BenzNinja and you will have all you mention not available in the first part of your post

Then about AUTEL online devices, they cost and don't work well as their data is messed up on Mercedes. two main examples are the 70% fail on headlights and transmission plates
This is why we have so many workshops signed up to BenzNinja Pro

vinflouen (04-04-2024)