S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

STATES LOOKING AT MILEAGE TAX OVER GAS TAX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 08:01 PM

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
But they pay sales taxes, state income taxes, property taxes, gasoline taxes, ... they pay for the tariffs imposed, ...
Plus most of the lower 50% are making less then $50k {median income is right at $50K}

No; what we should be doing is providing the kinds of educations that make them worth more in the marketplace of jobs.
We need the average worker to have the capability set to earn $100K/yr in todays markets.
{Note: earn not be grifted}

Mitch, you seem like a reasonable fellow. I made less than 50,000.00 until I was 40. The next year was the first year I broke 6 figures. I paid over $30,000.00 in taxes that year. But all the way to 6 figures, I had some very good financial habits, with the foundation being, never spend more than you make. That concept was more elegantly stated as, “If your outgo, exceeds your income, your upkeep, will be your downfall.
I don’t oppose your education idea. But the type and level of education makes all the difference.
Just like our personal finances being in proper balance, Our local, state and federal finances need to be in order.

Question for all you Federalists:::
How many bill did the US Congress pass before they discovered how to add PORK to a spending bill ??
We don’t have a perfect system, but we do have the best ever invented.

Last edited by MB2timer; 06-03-2024 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Bold
Old 06-03-2024, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,645 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by MB2timer
We don’t have a perfect system, but we do have the best ever invented.
Except that all over this thread you have said our system is terrible where nobody is financially literate, 50% of the population are grifters and our Government is full of people who pass nothing but pork. Confusing
Old 06-03-2024, 08:07 PM

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by SW20S
Except that all over this thread you have said our system is terrible where nobody is financially literate, 50% of the population are grifters and our Government is full of people who pass nothing but pork. Confusing
Please don’t be histrionic. You might think I IMPLIED that our system is terrible, but I NEVER said that.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 334 Likes on 217 Posts
S600
Mitch, you seem like a reasonable fellow. I made less than 50,000.00 until I was 40.
I crossed $50K at 36-ish circa 1980. But to be fair, I started off at ~$30K in 1975. Which was enough living in rural Ohio.
I crossed $100K in 1984, 200K in 1990, and 300K in 2012. At one point in that run I owned 4.2M of stock options ...

The next year was the first year I broke 6 figures. I paid over $30,000.00 in taxes that year. But all the way to 6 figures, I had some very good financial habits, with the foundation being, never spend more than you make. That concept was more elegantly stated as, “If your outgo, exceeds your income, your upkeep, will be your downfall.
I don’t oppose your education idea.
I still live the lifestyle of a person/family making $120K while bringing a LOT more.

But the type and level of education makes all the difference.
I consider getting a college education targeting anything with salaries less than $100K as not being worth the money spent on the education.
English, History, Literature, ... If you are already wealthy and don't need income and one of these greatly interests you--then go ahead.
Otherwise prepare yourself for the kinds of jobs (or ownership) that will make you wealthy.

I, personally, am willing to foot the bills for the later and not for the former.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Please don’t be histrionic. You might think I IMPLIED that our system is terrible, but I NEVER said that.
Mmm hmm.

I crossed $50K at 36-ish circa 1980. But to be fair, I started off at ~$30K in 1975. Which was enough living in rural Ohio.
I crossed $100K in 1984, 200K in 1990, and 300K in 2012. At one point in that run I owned 4.2M of stock options ...
Also have to bear in mind that $100k in 1984 is a hell of a lot more than it is today. I say today $250k is the new “$100k”, that’s the level of income where in general you don’t think about money on a day to day basis. Used to be $100k was when you “made it” but that is far from the case today.

First year I made more than $100k I was 21 or 22 (that would be 2003 or so) I was making $300k by the time I was 30, $500k by the time I was 40. For me I worked hard and I am smart and the risks I have taken have paid off, but there is no way I would have been able to achieve what I achieved so young in my life if it hadn’t been for my background. I had all the tools at my disposal and every advantage, which is why I said not everybody has the background or the ability to achieve what I’ve achieved. Really important not to loose sight of that IMO.

I consider getting a college education targeting anything with salaries less than $100K as not being worth the money spent on the education.
English, History, Literature, ... If you are already wealthy and don't need income and one of these greatly interests you--then go ahead.
Otherwise prepare yourself for the kinds of jobs (or ownership) that will make you wealthy.

I, personally, am willing to foot the bills for the later and not for the former.
If it’s one positive thing that has come out of this it’s that people are looking at higher education with a more pragmatic eye than they did when I was a kid. For us going to college was automatic, my parents paid for me to go, I never used my education at all I was already an entrepreneur when I graduated. My wife on the other hand, we had to pay back the costs of her college education which were well over $100,000. She never used her degree either and works alongside me in one of our businesses. Psychology majors lol
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600
If it’s one positive thing that has come out of this it’s that people are looking at higher education with a more pragmatic eye than they did when I was a kid. For us going to college was automatic, my parents paid for me to go, I never used my education at all I was already an entrepreneur when I graduated.
When I was going to college, a semester hour at Texas A&M was $4.00, it is now $250+
Texas oil tax revenue paid for most of Texas colleges. Now, not so much; even though the oil being pumped is vastly more valuable.

My wife on the other hand, we had to pay back the costs of her college education which were well over $100,000. She never used her degree either and works alongside me in one of our businesses. Psychology majors lol
Does she use her degree on you ??
Old 06-04-2024, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
She does! Haha
Old 06-04-2024, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600
She does! Haha
You might want to reconsider her never "using" her degree !!
Old 06-04-2024, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600
If it’s one positive thing that has come out of this it’s that people are looking at higher education with a more pragmatic eye than they did when I was a kid. For us going to college was automatic, my parents paid for me to go, I never used my education at all I was already an entrepreneur when I graduated.
I was the opposite.
I had a birthday party when I was in 5th grade, and got a gift that allowed me to dabble in electronics.
So at age 11 I already KNEW what I was going to do as a career.
As a Jr in High School I made a sonar using a snowing disk and audio speaker/microphone
As a Sr in High School I made a calculator 3 years before the Bowmar Brain came out. This one won a state science fair.

So, when I got to college, I was there to extract everything I could from them in the field of electrical engineering.

Much of my early career was doing good work while waiting for the right set of circumstances to come along.
Then it did (1980) and the rest was more like a roller coaster (except it kept increasing in speed while going up) !!
Old 06-04-2024, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
You might want to reconsider her never "using" her degree !!
True!

I was the opposite.
I had a birthday party when I was in 5th grade, and got a gift that allowed me to dabble in electronics.
So at age 11 I already KNEW what I was going to do as a career.
As a Jr in High School I made a sonar using a snowing disk and audio speaker/microphone
As a Sr in High School I made a calculator 3 years before the Bowmar Brain came out. This one won a state science fair.

So, when I got to college, I was there to extract everything I could from them in the field of electrical engineering.

Much of my early career was doing good work while waiting for the right set of circumstances to come along.
Then it did (1980) and the rest was more like a roller coaster (except it kept increasing in speed while going up) !!
Thats great! Thats a situation where college is really worthwhile.