S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Wireless charging gets phone and pad very hot after 20 minutes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 06:26 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Wireless charging gets phone and pad very hot after 20 minutes

This can’t be good that the phone gets so hot with wireless charging. Am I the last to know? Someone said USB charging is pretty slow also? That sucks.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:09 AM

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2016 S550
I just use a fast charging USB cigarette lighter socket that charges pretty fast. Just like normal fast charging at home, it does get the phone pretty warm, as expected. If you have the phone mounted near an AC vent then point the air to the phone and heat issue is gone.

Wireless charging gets the phone hot, on all fast wireless charges I’ve tried too. Just the nature of it I guess.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:00 AM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
I just use a fast charging USB cigarette lighter socket that charges pretty fast. Just like normal fast charging at home, it does get the phone pretty warm, as expected. If you have the phone mounted near an AC vent then point the air to the phone and heat issue is gone.

Wireless charging gets the phone hot, on all fast wireless charges I’ve tried too. Just the nature of it I guess.
I suppose there is no way to tell the system to charge slowly. I didn’t even see a lot of wireless charging but the battery did not go down in that 20 minutes while listening to music.

Any idea how to find info on charging by USB versus the wireless pad in the W222? I have an Anker wireless 313 charger a few years old. Slow and the phone doesn’t get hot.
Old 06-29-2024, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 621 Likes on 468 Posts
W212 FL
On my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (sorry that's a mouthful to write but that's the model name for it ) ,you can turn on the fast charging if you like .So, it means it would charge the phone slowly if you like but I prefer fast charging always .I will not put any ice cream on the phone so it may be the get hot that's not a problem to me . USB is better way to charge the phone faster .
Back to wireless charging ,some cars also come with the cooling but I don't remember those sorry
Old 06-29-2024, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 226 Posts
S600
Did you consider that using radio waves to move power across "air" wastes a lot of energy.
Where to you think this wasted radio energy goes ??
Old 06-29-2024, 04:22 PM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Did you consider that using radio waves to move power across "air" wastes a lot of energy.
Where to you think this wasted radio energy goes ??
You don’t need to explain science to me. At least not like that. Are you saying the W222 is a fast charger and my current Anker 313 Qi charger is not, which is why the phone on the MB charging pad heats up?
Old 06-29-2024, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,883 Likes on 2,598 Posts
2019 C63CS
The in-car wireless charging pad is quite slow. It's only a 5W or less charger. Wireless fast charging is 7W, which is the standard, but the newest iPhone's can charge faster using a proprietary protocol and a compatible charging pad. There have been reported issues with the wireless charging pad Mercedes uses. There is a firmware update to resolve some of the issues. It's not just Mercedes. BMW recently had an issue where their wireless charging pad bricked the iPhone 15, so it could be worse.

Wireless charging in any car from brands such as VW, Audi, BMW and Mercedes has been largely crap for me. Especially if the phone is doing something at the same time like streaming music or running CarPlay, it gets very hot to the point where overheating is not unusual and then things start crashing as the hardware protects itself. Connecting it to USB and using wired CarPlay generally resolves the issue and you can also keep it out in the open for better ventilation instead of tucked away in a storage bin where the heat can't go anywhere. The arm rest storage compartment is air conditioned FWIW, so keeping it there while plugged in should avoid any kind of overheating.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:42 PM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by superswiss
The in-car wireless charging pad is quite slow. It's only a 5W or less charger. Wireless fast charging is 7W, which is the standard, but the newest iPhone's can charge faster using a proprietary protocol and a compatible charging pad. There have been reported issues with the wireless charging pad Mercedes uses. There is a firmware update to resolve some of the issues. It's not just Mercedes. BMW recently had an issue where their wireless charging pad bricked the iPhone 15, so it could be worse.

Wireless charging in any car from brands such as VW, Audi, BMW and Mercedes has been largely crap for me. Especially if the phone is doing something at the same time like streaming music or running CarPlay, it gets very hot to the point where overheating is not unusual and then things start crashing as the hardware protects itself. Connecting it to USB and using wired CarPlay generally resolves the issue and you can also keep it out in the open for better ventilation instead of tucked away in a storage bin where the heat can't go anywhere. The arm rest storage compartment is air conditioned FWIW, so keeping it there while plugged in should avoid any kind of overheating.
Ok so just stop using wireless charging and it will stop overheating?
Old 06-29-2024, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by zitsky
Kind off. I opted for the wireless charging pad in my car, just in case, but I rarely actually need to charge my phone while in the car. It gets charged when I use wireless CarPlay, but otherwise I don't really hook it up to charge. My battery generally lasts all day. Wireless charging is fundamentally problematic in a car. If the phone and the charging coil are not perfectly aligned, there are losses that cause the device to heat up. In a car that moves around, the phone inevitably moves and generally isn't in a perfect spot for charging. You don't have that issue at home where you can place the phone properly and it stays there unless there's an earthquake . In a car, it bounces around and what not. Less so in your S Class, but with the firm suspension in my AMG and my general propensity for spirited cornering, things moved around. MagSafe wireless chargers are basically the solution for this. The charger and phone are always perfectly aligned.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-29-2024 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 503 Posts
MB
Yes pretty much sums it up, and avoid using wireless carplay or Android Auto. Wireless chargers in all the cars at the moment are crap and can't even compete with the cheapest wireless charger you could buy on Amazon.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:01 PM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by wildta
Yes pretty much sums it up, and avoid using wireless carplay or Android Auto. Wireless chargers in all the cars at the moment are crap and can't even compete with the cheapest wireless charger you could buy on Amazon.
Wireless CarPlay in the 2024 BMW 530i works pretty well. Wireless charging we have not tried more than 15 minutes.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Wireless CarPlay in the 2024 BMW 530i works pretty well. Wireless charging we have not tried more than 15 minutes.
BMW has arguably the most stable CarPlay integration I've experienced so far. It's been solid in BMW rental I had last year for a long weekend. Wireless charging was ok for short distances, but for longer distances I had to plug it in as well. Same issue. The phone just gets hot.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 226 Posts
S600
You don’t need to explain science to me. At least not like that.
The problem is that creating radio energy requires excess power.
Back when I did HAM radio, we were lucky to get 50% of input power out of the box and lucky to get 37% of the energy out of the antenna.
But here you have radio generator, and 2 antennae and some loss in rectifying radio back into DC.
So you have the power of sending the charge and the power of pushing the charge into the battery which also gets hot in the process.

Whereas a 6-foot long 24 gauge copper wire can deliver 98%+ efficiency at the power rates cell phones charge.

Are you saying the W222 is a fast charger and my current Anker 313 Qi charger is not, which is why the phone on the MB charging pad heats up?
It is the process itself that is inefficient--not whether the MB version is more or less efficient that others.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
The problem is that creating radio energy requires excess power.
Back when I did HAM radio, we were lucky to get 50% of input power out of the box and lucky to get 37% of the energy out of the antenna.
But here you have radio generator, and 2 antennae and some loss in rectifying radio back into DC.
So you have the power of sending the charge and the power of pushing the charge into the battery which also gets hot in the process.

Whereas a 6-foot long 24 gauge copper wire can deliver 98%+ efficiency at the power rates cell phones charge.

It is the process itself that is inefficient--not whether the MB version is more or less efficient that others.
It's not as bad as you make it out to be. Inductive chargers typically have an efficiency rate of 70-80%. Wired charging is 90-95%. This is not ham radio as the energy transfer happens over an extremely short distance. So not hugely less efficient, but as said, alignment plays a big roll with inductive charging.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-29-2024 at 05:55 PM.