S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Late farewell + Back to Mbenz family with a new ride!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2024, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 740 Likes on 478 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Late farewell + Back to Mbenz family with a new ride!

I knew it wasn't going to take me too long to officially re-join the Mbenz family (exactly 13 months since I sold my W222). I sold it to a fellow forum member here (couple of photos below for those who remember it). It was the time to pass it on and enjoy EV sedans at that time. I never posted a farewell. so here is one - though am glad to be officially back).

Earlier this year, we renewed our X5 and X7 to the new LCIs, but unfortunately, the X7 spent 90% of its time in service due to ongoing issues with the 48V system and random errors. Only drove it for a few days. They couldn’t resolve the problems ever. BMW treated us fairly as long-time loyal client, and finally bought it back just couple days ago. We now need a 3-row SUV to replace the X7, and with the W222 as our last benz already sold, I thought it's a perfect situation to bring at least one Benz back to our garage. We took a 4.5-hour drive to finalize buyback papers, and also to check out other possible options at the same BMW dealer mid of this week. None of their cars worked for us, but the X7 is gone. I made plans to cross-shop every Mercedes and BMW dealer over there and on the way back (300 miles away from home). Finally settled on a Benz after 3 hours of negotiations and 2 more to finalize the paperwork that we drove home last night. I ended up with a GLS, and will share more about it in the X167 forum (later this week)... Very excited for it, a car I always wanted to at least try, bought some accessories online already this morning, and already scheduled time with EleBest to code ILS and couple other stuff for me tonight.

That said, I truly appreciate everyone here in all the S-Class sub-forums, and I’ll definitely continue to be active here—I’m sure I’ll be hopping back into an S-Class in the future, one day. I'd do that now if they electrify it : ) ....

Leaving you with 2 photos for each of my former W222 and our new GLS.
My former W222:

Our new GLS:

Last edited by S_W222; 08-24-2024 at 05:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by S_W222:
carlosinseattle (08-24-2024), EleBest (08-25-2024), Streamliner (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 02:37 PM

Received 160 Likes on 94 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
welcome Back, you are officially obligated to the W222 and X167 forums...

Nice GLS ....

Question, how would you compare the equipment and options in your GLS versus the bimmer, and also the ride quality differences.
Old 08-24-2024, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by kafklatsch
welcome Back, you are officially obligated to the W222 and X167 forums...

Nice GLS ....

Question, how would you compare the equipment and options in your GLS versus the bimmer, and also the ride quality differences.
  • Software (X7): The X7 has a much better infotainment system, there isn't even a chance for the GLS or even MBUX in general in this area compared to ID 8.5.
  • Dashboard (GLS): I really appreciated the physical buttons in the GLS.. They're much easier to operate, especially when driving on the highway. The metallic-like finish on these buttons adds a premium feel, and the steering wheel controls are well designed and intuitive.
  • Packaging and interior (GLS): The 3rd row fits adults, like big adults. I am 6'-1" and I fit 100% comfortably in the 3rd row with 2 USB-C and air vents dedicated to each seat. The 2nd row are has more leg room in the GLS
  • Driving dynamics (X7): The inline 6-cylinder engine is VERY similar in both, absolutely smooth and shifts well too. However, the V8 in the BMW X7 is much more fun to drive than the V8 in the GLS, and for sure the shifting is better.
  • Comfort and suspension: If we are talking about the upgraded suspension (Dynamic handing package "DHP" and rear wheel steering in X7, versus E-ABC in the GLS, the BMW system is much better than GLS. I had DHP and all options in the X7, so I didn't want to invest in a system that is inferior (E-ABC) if am going to pay for it, so I just saved myself the hassle and decided to go with the airmatic ride on the Mbenz. I'd have felt a bit disappointed if I pay for E-ABC when it doesn't work as advertised. I never bought it or considered it any of my Mbenz cars ever, but I had DHP in the majority of my BMWs purchases historically.
  • Drive assist: BMW is always the winner here, but the lane keep assist in the GLS does fine. I felt it was better than what I had in the W222, but still not as refined as newer BMWs. I certainly will miss the hands-free highway drive assist that we had in the X7.
  • Family hauler (GLS): This car is the only non-US made SUV that can be used “as” a van but still a sporty SUV. The X7 always felt smaller, and if parents are visiting, I was never able to fit adults in the 3rd row. The GLS feels like an SUV that can do it all and I can rely on it.
My preference if it was my daily, would have been another X7 M60i, but as I said several times before, I like to experience new cars and try different things and sometimes I have no issue with pursing an option that may "seem" as a down-grade when it's not for me. I traded a W222 for a Tesla Model S, and I love it more and if time goes back would do it again and again. I switched here from the X7 M60i to a GLS with the inline 6-cylinder, and for our use case it's a better car for how we use it. We loved our GL that we had several years ago, and I always liked the packaging and size of the GLS so I went for it this time. I don't see the GLS and X7 as SUVs that you can easily compare. The GLS is more of an executive SUV can also serve as a luxury van with off-roading capabilities, while the X7 is a sporty SUV that's spacious just enough and still family-friendly. We can still enjoy the BMW M60i/V8 and it's packaging in our current X5 M60i, so it's like we are going to miss the brand/BMW. On the highway, the GLS drives with more confidence, sitting higher and large cabin. However, the X7 surely feels more nimble in town. I like the GLS with AMG package more than I like the X7 M-Sport (I am not a fan of the new BMW front end design for all their newer cars). Those who buy BMWs now are buying it for it's performance and reliability (including me); but I hate the exterior look.

Last edited by S_W222; 08-24-2024 at 05:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robb92914 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 05:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,685 Likes on 2,282 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by S_W222
I knew it wasn't going to take me too long to officially re-join the Mbenz family (exactly 13 months since I sold my W222). I sold it to a fellow forum member here (couple of photos below for those who remember it). It was the time to pass it on and enjoy EV sedans at that time. I never posted a farewell. so here is one - though am glad to be officially back).

Earlier this year, we renewed our X5 and X7 to the new LCIs, but unfortunately, the X7 spent 90% of its time in service due to ongoing issues with the 48V system and random errors. Only drove it for a few days. They couldn’t resolve the problems ever. BMW treated us fairly as long loyal client, and finally bought it back just a couple of days ago. We now need a 3-row SUV to replace the X7, and with the W222 as our last benz already sold, I thought it's a perfect situation to bring at least one Benz back to our garage. We took a 4.5-hour drive to finalize buyback papers, and also to check out other possible options at the same BMW dealer mid of this week. None of their cars worked for us, but the X7 is gone. I made plans to cross-shop every Mercedes and BMW dealer over there and on the way back (300 miles away from home). Finally settled on a Benz after 3 hours of negotiations and 2 more to finalize the paperwork that we drove home last night. I ended up with a GLS, and will share more about it in the X167 forum (later this week)... Very excited for it, a car I always wanted to at least try, bought some accessories online already this morning, and already scheduled time with EleBest to code ILS and couple other stuff for me tonight.

That said, I truly appreciate everyone here in the all the S-Class sub-forums, and I’ll definitely continue to be active here—I’m sure I’ll be hopping back into an S-Class in the future, one day. I'd do that now if they electrify it : ) ....

Leaving you with 2 photos for each of my former W222 and our new GLS.
My former W222:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...bbfc76957a.jpg

Our new GLS:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...62bd8293db.jpg
  • Software (X7): The X7 has a much better infotainment system, there isn't even a chance for the GLS or even MBUX in general in this area compared to ID 8.5.
  • Dashboard (GLS): I really appreciated the physical buttons in the GLS.. They're much easier to operate, especially when driving on the highway. The metallic-like finish on these buttons adds a premium feel, and the steering wheel controls are well designed and intuitive.
  • Packaging and interior (GLS): The 3rd row fits adults, like big adults. I am 6'-1" and I fit 100% comfortably in the 3rd row with 2 USB-C and air vents dedicated to each seat. The 2nd row are has more leg room in the GLS
  • Driving dynamics (X7): The inline 6-cylinder engine is VERY similar in both, absolutely smooth and shifts well too. However, the V8 in the BMW X7 is much more fun to drive than the V8 in the GLS, and for sure the shifting is better.
  • Comfort and suspension: If we are talking about the upgraded suspension (Dynamic handing package "DHP" and rear wheel steering in X7, versus E-ABC in the GLS, the BMW system is much better than GLS. I had DHP and all options in the X7, so I didn't want to invest in a system that is inferior (E-ABC) if am going to pay for it, so I just saved myself the hassle and decided to go with the airmatic ride on the Mbenz. I'd have felt a bit disappointed if I pay for E-ABC when it doesn't work as advertised. I never bought it or considered it any of my Mbenz cars ever, but I had DHP in the majority of my BMWs purchases historically.
  • Drive assist: BMW is always the winner here, but the lane keep assist in the GLS does fine. I felt it was better than what I had in the W222, but still not as refined as newer BMWs. I certainly will miss the hands-free highway drive assist that we had in the X7.
  • Family hauler (GSL): This car is the only non-US made SUV that can be used as Van but still a sporty SUV. The X7 always felt smaller, and if parents are visiting, I was never able to fit adults in the 3rd row. The GLS feels like an SUV that can do it all and I can rely on it.
My preference if it was my daily, would have been another X7 M60i, but as I said several times before, I like to experience new cars and try different things and sometimes I have no issue with pursing an option that may "seem" as a down-grade when it's not for me. I traded a W222 for a Tesla Model S, and I love it more and if time goes back would do it again and again. I switched here from the X7 M60i to a GLS with the inline 6-cylinder, and for our use case it's a better car for how we use it. We loved our GL that we had several years ago, and I always liked the packaging and size of the GLS so I went for it this time. I don't see the GLS and X7 as SUVs that you can easily compare. The GLS is more of an executive SUV can also serve as a luxury van with off-roading capabilities, while the X7 is a sporty SUV that's spacious just enough and still family-friendly. We can still enjoy the BMW M60i/V8 and it's packaging in our current X5 M60i, so it's like we are going to miss the brand/BMW. On the highway, the GLS drives with more confidence, sitting higher and large cabin. However, the X7 surely feels more nimble in town. I like the GLS with AMG package more than I like the X7 M-Sport (I am not a fan of the new BMW front end design for all their newer cars). Those who buy BMWs now are buying it for it's performance and reliability (including me); but I hate the exterior look.
Phenomenal colour, glad to hear you are back, car looks good!
carlosinseattle (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Phenomenal colour, glad to hear you are back, car looks good!
Thanks. I didn't make my search limited to this color to be honest as it becomes hard to find options, but am glad I landed with this color. But, If I could choose a color, it would have been this same exact color with the same night-package blacked out elements.
Old 08-24-2024, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,822 Likes on 1,809 Posts
2024 S580
Congratulations!!! I came very close to getting one of these to replace our Pacifica, and then again to replace the S560. I think these are great vehicles.

Love the color too, thats the color I really wanted for the S580 but this one was the right car optionwise.

Enjoy it!
Old 08-24-2024, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
Congratulations!!! I came very close to getting one of these to replace our Pacifica, and then again to replace the S560. I think these are great vehicles.

Love the color too, thats the color I really wanted for the S580 but this one was the right car optionwise.

Enjoy it!
Thanks. If I were you, I would still buy a lux sedan like the S580 if it was replacing the sedan/W222 (just like you did), but definitely would do the GLS for replacing any van or SUV. I just hope the 48V system will treat me well now......
Robb92914 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,822 Likes on 1,809 Posts
2024 S580
Thanks. If I were you, I would still buy a lux sedan like the S580 if it was replacing the sedan/W222 (just like you did), but definitely would do the GLS for replacing any van or SUV. I just hope the 48V system will treat me well now......
Yeah I agree. I had that GLS for a week and for a daily a sedan is still better. But it would be great to have as a family/trip vehicle.

I think it will, most of the 48v system issues seem to be worked through. What my service guy told me was when there is some sort of error it makes the system VERY mad...happened to me when the battery was discharged during tinting and PPF, but 15 minutes of clearing the system and re-initializing it and all was well.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
Robb92914 (08-24-2024), S_W222 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 06:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,685 Likes on 2,282 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Thanks. I didn't make my search limited to this color to be honest as it becomes hard to find options, but am glad I landed with this color. But, If I could choose a color, it would have been this same exact color with the same night-package blacked out elements.
I see, enjoy in good health : )
Old 08-24-2024, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 642 Likes on 481 Posts
W212 FL
Welcome back ,
I'm a sedan guy but if I had to buy an SUV and money is not an object I would pick the GLS as well
Happy Driving
S_W222 (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzV12
Welcome back ,
I'm a sedan guy but if I had to buy an SUV and money is not an object I would pick the GLS as well
Happy Driving
Thank you; and I agree - sedan is the best for daily driving and that's still what I do.
BenzV12 (08-25-2024)