S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Likes, dislikes & hopes on W223........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2020 | 01:52 PM

S400
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Not really. One can get better deals in Germany on these cars, especially as a business customer (no VAT). Interest is near zero and one can get great discounts on any brand. Leasing the S-Class will be cheaper in Germany...
Good to know, thanks.
Old 09-18-2020 | 07:12 PM

a
Originally Posted by aypues
I'm so happy they got rid of that analogue clock in the 222.
Now lets get rid of those seat buttons.
Old 09-20-2020 | 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
One of the things that really turned me on about the new W223, was the video showing what appears to be a rich, “saddle” tan interior color. However, MB is not showing such a color available, at least not yet. The color they are showing is “Sienna Brown & Black,” which was available on the SL models over the past few years, but which is a completely different color from that shown in the W223 “Reveal” video. Here are some photos. The first two I grabbed from the video, the second two from the MB Germany “Build” site and the last is an SL from the MBUSA site. MB has made ZERO mention of the color in the video, they just teased us with it. As for the Sienna Brown & Black, I didn’t like it in the SL and I don’t like it as shown in the W223. WHERE is the “Saddle” tan they teased in the video? Personally, I don’t think it will be available anytime soon. If it were, they would have shown it in the DOG and noted it as not yet available. I should note that our friend Wolfman pointed this out a week or two ago and that I am merely expanding and giving my thoughts on his info.

Old 09-20-2020 | 02:14 PM

2018 S560 4Matic Anth Blue
Well, those are 3 different colors and given MB's past terrible color representations, I wouldn't make a purchase decision on just that. Recall their photos often look nothing like the real thing, e.g. Mahogany.
Old 09-20-2020 | 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I think it may just be the configurator's lighting is a bit more saturated or something. The press photos look much lighter with a brown/cognac tone while the configurator gives it a more red-ish tone.
Old 09-20-2020 | 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
A loot at Black Metallic over Macchiato Beige
Old 09-20-2020 | 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by flint350
Well, those are 3 different colors and given MB's past terrible color representations, I wouldn't make a purchase decision on just that. Recall their photos often look nothing like the real thing, e.g. Mahogany.
I agree, but if they are coming out with a completely new interior color, like the saddle tan on the video, don’t we think they would name it something different that a color they are already using? I believe that the Sienna Brown in the W223 is the same as used in the SL and NOT the color shown in the video.
Old 09-20-2020 | 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by js_cls
A loot at Black Metallic over Macchiato Beige
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMyal6bCko
4:35 "The W222 looks like an ill fitting suit compared to the W223 which looks like a Tom Ford suit"

I don't know about the metaphor but I have to agree that the W223 is more streamlined looking and as predicted the W222 ends up looking dated in comparison.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 09-20-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2020 | 09:21 AM

E350 W211
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
4:35 "The W222 looks like an ill fitting suit compared to the W223 which looks like a Tom Ford suit"

I don't know about the metaphor but I have to agree that the W223 is more streamlined looking and as predicted the W222 ends up looking dated in comparison.
That guy has zero taste in car design, and besides, doesn't know much about cars(W223 borrows design elements from existing, lower models like A/CLA, CLS and E-facelift - thus it's no longer the inspiration for other, cheaper models, as it happened in the past). The "new" S looks like an ordinary, anonymous(possibly asian) car. The W222 was an elegant, somptuos vehicle.
Old 09-22-2020 | 09:30 AM

E350 W211
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, it is not plastic, but piano black finished wood, in a high gloss. We have it in our 2019 wagon. It’s not my favorite, but it does not make me think “plastic” when looking at it.
Check the red arrow:

Isn't that black plastic?

I'm pretty sure the person you replied to referred to that kind of stuff, which is present in large amounts in the new S, even on door handles..

Old 09-22-2020 | 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by ccdan
That guy has zero taste in car design, and besides, doesn't know much about cars(W223 borrows design elements from existing, lower models like A/CLA, CLS and E-facelift - thus it's no longer the inspiration for other, cheaper models, as it happened in the past). The "new" S looks like an ordinary, anonymous(possibly asian) car. The W222 was an elegant, somptuos vehicle.
Actually, your comment isn't historically accurate. The W201 was essentially a miniaturized version of the W126. Both sold well in their day and both are now considered MB icons. Keeping a family resemblance between it's various car lines is a long established MB practice and it looks like that continues with the W223 and it's siblings.
Old 09-22-2020 | 12:41 PM

E350 W211
Originally Posted by 190Efan
Actually, your comment isn't historically accurate. The W201 was essentially a miniaturized version of the W126. Both sold well in their day and both are now considered MB icons. Keeping a family resemblance between it's various car lines is a long established MB practice and it looks like that continues with the W223 and it's siblings.
I wasn't talking about "family resemblance" but rather about which model sets the the trend: it was the S-Class(W126) that served as inspiration for the smaller model W201, not the other way around! It wasn't the W126 that copied the W201, as it happens right know with the W223: its design is based on existing, "lesser" models CLA/CLS/E Facelift(the front was likely designed at the same time as E W213 facelift, but that one was presented first)
Old 09-22-2020 | 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Check the red arrow:

Isn't that black plastic?

I'm pretty sure the person you replied to referred to that kind of stuff, which is present in large amounts in the new S, even on door handles..

I think you are making too many assumptions on the S-Class. We'll know more when actual reviews are available or customer deliveries begin in December (non-US).

Last edited by Wolfman; 09-22-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2020 | 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I wasn't talking about "family resemblance" but rather about which model sets the the trend: it was the S-Class(W126) that served as inspiration for the smaller model W201, not the other way around! It wasn't the W126 that copied the W201, as it happens right know with the W223: its design is based on existing, "lesser" models CLA/CLS/E Facelift(the front was likely designed at the same time as E W213 facelift, but that one was presented first)
So many things have changed since then when they literally had 4 car lines at the time: 190, 300, S-Class and SL. There is no way the S-Class can no lead like that now. The lineup is much larger now. Even the tech rules have changes. The best infotainment is in the A/B/CLA/GLA/GLB/GLE/GLS all before the S-Class. Things change. There is reason why the E-Class was just updated to match the look of the new S and upcoming C-Class. Look at the SL, how ancient it looks now with it's previous generation design inside and out next to the entire lineup starting with the lowly A220 Sedan which is far more modern.

M
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (09-22-2020)
Old 09-23-2020 | 04:31 AM

E350 W211
Originally Posted by Germancar1
So many things have changed since then when they literally had 4 car lines at the time: 190, 300, S-Class and SL. There is no way the S-Class can no lead like that now. The lineup is much larger now. Even the tech rules have changes. The best infotainment is in the A/B/CLA/GLA/GLB/GLE/GLS all before the S-Class.
M
W220, W221, W222 were well ahead of the rest of the mercedes "pack" at the time of their launch. Things got crazy a few years after W222 was launched. It looks like mercedes got incompetent decision makers/managers and designers. They screwed up some of the existing models, bringing boring or annoying design - like floating screens that almost nobody likes or boring/anonymous exteriors.

There is reason why the E-Class was just updated to match the look of the new S and upcoming C-Class.
M
It doesn't look like the E was upgraded to look like the new S.
It looks like the new S was made to look like the EXISTING E facelift! (E facelift was presented BEFORE the new S) Not to speak of the CLA/CLS elements, which were pretty "old" already.

Look at the SL, how ancient it looks now with it's previous generation design inside and out next to the entire lineup starting with the lowly A220 Sedan which is far more modern.
M
The SL was largely abandoned, the last gen is a downgraded version made from the merc trash bin, mostly E/ML parts for the interior(a product of laziness), probably S Cabriolet played a role in this
Old 09-23-2020 | 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The SL was largely abandoned, the last gen is a downgraded version made from the merc trash bin, mostly E/ML parts for the interior(a product of laziness), probably S Cabriolet played a role in this
I agree that the last generation SL—the R231 that ran from 2013 to 2020–was not given the attention it deserved throughout its model run, but would argue that it was and still is an exceptionally fine car, that filled a niche unserved by any other brand. The only “downgrade” from the previous R230 SL’s was that ABC was made optional, rather than standard. Those of us who own these cars have really only one gripe and that is the poor audio systems, which can be upgraded. Other than that, when properly optioned, the R231 SL’s, with their wonderful, retractable hardtops, offer truly amazing comfort, performance and luxury, not seen much of anywhere else in the automotive world, especially at their price point. I believe that the Command System/Infotainment Screen was similar to that of the E & ML, but that’s where the comparison ends and when optioned with one of the Exclusive Nappa Interiors, like mine, we are talking near Bentley opulence, for a fraction of the price. There are still some new 2020’s out there, so anyone looking for a great top down experience, now’s the time! No more retractable hardtop when the new SL bows next year. Here are a few snaps of my 2019:

The

Last edited by Streamliner; 09-23-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2020 | 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220, W221, W222 were well ahead of the rest of the mercedes "pack" at the time of their launch. Things got crazy a few years after W222 was launched. It looks like mercedes got incompetent decision makers/managers and designers. They screwed up some of the existing models, bringing boring or annoying design - like floating screens that almost nobody likes or boring/anonymous exteriors.

It doesn't look like the E was upgraded to look like the new S.
It looks like the new S was made to look like the EXISTING E facelift! (E facelift was presented BEFORE the new S) Not to speak of the CLA/CLS elements, which were pretty "old" already.

Yeah I already explained why things changed. Tech and other advancements aren't going to wait 7 years anymore. Whatever the newest Benz is will get the tech or the design first from here on most likely. Doesn't matter what the W220 (which was a correction from the W140) and the W221 or W222 did. Times have changed.

To me it does. It has the same front end as the new S and it appears the new C will have the same front and rear ends also. The E FL and S were on the drawing board at the same time. The SL was just an old vehicle, a new one arrives next year. Clearly the engineering on the SL is not lazy, it's a brilliantly engineered car if stuck with last generation design. The R231 SL was completed and arrived years before the S Cabriolet.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 09-23-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Streamliner (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020 | 12:55 PM

2016 S63 4D, 2015 G63, 2017 Macan Turbo, 2001 M5
If i had a dollar for every time an owner of a previous generation didnt like the way the new one looked. The ones that like the w223 design will in 8 yrs say the same of the w224...
The following 2 users liked this post by skeelo:
Germancar1 (09-23-2020), MBNUT1 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-23-2020 | 02:19 PM

E350 W211
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I agree that the last generation SL—the R231 that ran from 2013 to 2020–was not given the attention it deserved throughout its model run, but would argue that it was and still is an exceptionally fine car, that filled a niche unserved by any other brand. The only “downgrade” from the previous R230 SL’s was that ABC was made optional, rather than standard. Those of us who own these cars have really only one gripe and that is the poor audio systems, which can be upgraded. Other than that, when properly optioned, the R231 SL’s, with their wonderful, retractable hardtops, offer truly amazing comfort, performance and luxury, not seen much of anywhere else in the automotive world, especially at their price point. I believe that the Command System/Infotainment Screen was similar to that of the E & ML, but that’s where the comparison ends and when optioned with one of the Exclusive Nappa Interiors, like mine, we are talking near Bentley opulence, for a fraction of the price. There are still some new 2020’s out there, so anyone looking for a great top down experience, now’s the time! No more retractable hardtop when the new SL bows next year. Here are a few snaps of my 2019:
Congrats! The interior is really nice!

Yeah, the ABC was made optional, but the standard suspension as far as I know is not airmatic as it is on the S/S Coupe, but rather ordinary spring suspension. Right? Then, at the interior, there's a bit more than the display borrowed from the ML/GLE: the instrument cluster, the steering wheel, the center console with all those buttons, including the climate controls. SL used to be a miniaturized S-Class with two seats.

You are right, the current model is likely to better than the next model which might be nothing more than a redesigned AMG GT(a different breed of car, sportier but less comfortable, less luxurious). It'd be a shame but not much of a surprise, Mercedes is on the wrong path lately.
Old 09-23-2020 | 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, the ABC was made optional, but the standard suspension as far as I know is not airmatic as it is on the S/S Coupe, but rather ordinary spring suspension. Right? Then, at the interior, there's a bit more than the display borrowed from the ML/GLE: the instrument cluster, the steering wheel, the center console with all those buttons, including the climate controls. SL used to be a miniaturized S-Class with two seats.

You are right, the current model is likely to better than the next model which might be nothing more than a redesigned AMG GT(a different breed of car, sportier but less comfortable, less luxurious). It'd be a shame but not much of a surprise, Mercedes is on the wrong path lately.
Yes, for those who highly value ride quality, having ABC in the SL makes all the difference in the world and IMO, should have remained standard equipment. I had a 2004 SL500 that I ordered new. I kept it for 12 years and sold it with something like 22,000 miles on the clock. Coming with ABC standard, it drove beautifully and the audio system was very nice as well. However, my current SL450 is better in every way, with the exception of the audio.

I am not thrilled with the idea of the next SL being based on the AMG GT, with a fabric top and two, useless rear seats, but will wait to see & drive the actual car before rendering judgement.

By the way, before ordering my latest SL, I drove the S560 Cabriolet and did not care for that car at all. It felt floaty, bulbous and was just not a good design, IMO. The SL was much less money and drives like a dream.

hyperion667 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020 | 03:55 PM

E350 W211
Originally Posted by skeelo
If i had a dollar for every time an owner of a previous generation didnt like the way the new one looked. The ones that like the w223 design will in 8 yrs say the same of the w224...
As far as I remember the W221 and the W222 were very well received.

The W221 received a few comments here and there about the wheel arches, but the overall design of the car was well liked by most people - the car looked sporty, modern and elegant at the same time. The interior was slightly criticized due to the weird design of the dashboard, but the interior quality - which was clearly a step ahead of both the former model and the competition, kinda made up for was "lost" by that design.

The W222 received almost no criticism - the interior was truly spectacular - a complete game changer, while the exterior had an imposing and elegant presence(the rear was especially liked, but the side and the front were ok as well). Besides, lots of nice high tech.

Now, when it comes to the W223, outside of these forums which seem to have lots of "devoted" Mercedes fans , the comments are overwhelmingly negative!

some common criticisms:

- the tail light design is nearly universally criticized(looks like a japanese/korean car)
- the front is also often criticized because it looks like a model that was launched before the w223, because that "nose"(the grille) looks bad and because the overall look is very underwhelming
- the interior is mainly criticized for those "floating" displays: the one behind the steering wheel looks like a large phone that was slapped there, the larger one looks like an ipad - overall those displays make the interior feel unfinished(looks like an amateurish improvisation)
- the removal of many buttons is another issue at the interior (it's much easier to press physical buttons than to navigate through various menus)
- there are some other potential issues(we're not sure yet, but things don't look good): the large black areas may make the car look cheap if they're made of plastic; the interior door handles have a design which might cause rubbing of fingers against the leathery door panel, leading to signs of wear, the air vents seem to have limited movement
- tech: no big improvements, just more toys... on the other hand, tech like night vision is missing
Old 09-23-2020 | 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

As far as I remember the W221 and the W222 were very well received.

The W221 received a few comments here and there about the wheel arches, but the overall design of the car was well liked by most people - the car looked sporty, modern and elegant at the same time. The interior was slightly criticized due to the weird design of the dashboard, but the interior quality - which was clearly a step ahead of both the former model and the competition, kinda made up for was "lost" by that design.

The W222 received almost no criticism - the interior was truly spectacular - a complete game changer, while the exterior had an imposing and elegant presence(the rear was especially liked, but the side and the front were ok as well). Besides, lots of nice high tech.

Now, when it comes to the W223, outside of these forums which seem to have lots of "devoted" Mercedes fans , the comments are overwhelmingly negative!

some common criticisms:

- the tail light design is nearly universally criticized(looks like a japanese/korean car)
- the front is also often criticized because it looks like a model that was launched before the w223, because that "nose"(the grille) looks bad and because the overall look is very underwhelming
- the interior is mainly criticized for those "floating" displays: the one behind the steering wheel looks like a large phone that was slapped there, the larger one looks like an ipad - overall those displays make the interior feel unfinished(looks like an amateurish improvisation)
- the removal of many buttons is another issue at the interior (it's much easier to press physical buttons than to navigate through various menus)
- there are some other potential issues(we're not sure yet, but things don't look good): the large black areas may make the car look cheap if they're made of plastic; the interior door handles have a design which might cause rubbing of fingers against the leathery door panel, leading to signs of wear, the air vents seem to have limited movement
- tech: no big improvements, just more toys... on the other hand, tech like night vision is missing
I assume you are stating these criticisms to justify your opinion being mainstream

First off, the W222 was well received in the US and worldwide except many forum members here who felt the car was too Asian looking, not muscular enough (aka no wheel arches), that it looks just too generic. Later on it was added that one can’t tell the C class apart from the E class or S class. Clown face steering wheel reminisced to a late 60’s Lincoln, etc. Oh, they also complained about the tail lights...
The W223 is very well received by the Germans. We’ll see what others in the US will think but my assumption is that the center screen will be the only point of contention.

I loved our W222 S550 and considered it the best looking S-Class of all times. Now the W223 looks very similar, but more modern and uptodate (to me). Definitely a much prettier silhouette and roof line. I also like the refreshed interior better apart from the center console/trim and color options, all of which will be sorted out.

Last edited by Wolfman; 09-23-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2020 | 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

FYI, the SL never looked like a S-Class with 2 seats. The current/outgoing model is also coincidently the most luxurious SL to date even with its outdated bits...
Old 09-23-2020 | 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And Night Vision is no longer needed with the better lighting and HUD that highlights things in the road.

M
Old 09-23-2020 | 09:54 PM

2015 S-550, 2017 Jaguar XE 35t R-Sport, 2007 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 2013 S550 (traded)
And Night Vision is no longer needed with the better lighting and HUD that highlights things in the road.

M
This may be true, but I do feel as if Mercedes cut some things for cost. What happened to the Magic Sky Control? They've also reduced the rear seat configurations by half compared to the w222. Yes, they may have altered the packaging to reflect what is popular, but the S-Class should have more configurability than what they have limited it to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Likes, dislikes & hopes on W223........