S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

2021 S-Class turning diameter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 09:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 S-550
2021 S-Class turning diameter

The 2021 Long Wheel Base S-class for sale in the USA has an obese turning diameter of 42 feet. The previous version was a little over 40 ft. Even 40 ft can be too much if the car is used as a daily beater. So now we have an option called rear-wheel or rear-axle steering, either 4.5 or 10 degrees. Thing is that the "Luxury" version does not offer the RWS option at all, one must get the AMG version to get the 4.5 degree option and the "Executive" version to get the 10 degree option. In understand that in Canada and the rest of the world the RWS options are available for all S-Class models. Why should anyone have to buy the Exec version with all the back seat luxury just to get the 10 degree RWS option to make the car easier to live with? Does MBUSA think that those who buy the "Luxury" version don't need a car that is maneuverable and easy to live with? Has MBUSA lost it completely, or just refining their arrogance?
Old 08-26-2021, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
I'm very sympathetic to your frustration. It looks to me that the purpose of U.S. market MB's in general and the S class in particular is to be a company "cash cow". A historical example of this would be the very stark differences in equipment and price for U.S. market 190Es when compared to their European counterparts. The European 190Es were very much econoboxes with some not even having a passenger side rear view mirror and had roll up windows, no A/C and with most being 5 speed and not automatics while the U.S. market 190Es.not only had both rear view mirrors but electric windows, A/C, electric sunroofs, etc and sold for a considerably higher price than their European counterparts.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:34 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
190Efan is correct, the US is indeed seen as a cash cow by MB. The US market for MB is mature, there is not a lot of growth potential like there is in China. With little attention, the US market will provide a nice cash flow year after year. Load the cars with options, raise the prices and the loyal US customers will line up cash in hand. Delay the introduction of the S Class month after month with no explanation, no one will walk away. MB launched the 2021 S Class last January in China and kept the cars flowing into the country. MB has just touched the surface on all the opportunity China presents…a huge growing market, cheap labor for factories and plenty of rare earth minerals for the batteries of the future. That is where MB’s attention lies. The US market for MB is like a cow, feed it a little hay and sit back while is provides an abundance of milk.
The following users liked this post:
Jmcintire217 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
The "luxury" version is a nicer way of saying "base model" hence the lack of rear steering.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by 190Efan
I'm very sympathetic to your frustration. It looks to me that the purpose of U.S. market MB's in general and the S class in particular is to be a company "cash cow". A historical example of this would be the very stark differences in equipment and price for U.S. market 190Es when compared to their European counterparts. The European 190Es were very much econoboxes with some not even having a passenger side rear view mirror and had roll up windows, no A/C and with most being 5 speed and not automatics while the U.S. market 190Es.not only had both rear view mirrors but electric windows, A/C, electric sunroofs, etc and sold for a considerably higher price than their European counterparts.
I don't get this cash cow view. US cars have always been better optioned but seems options are given for free. If you compare prices between US cars and similarly equipped European cars, the US price seems a lot lower.

My understanding is that competition is much harder in the US and Daimler needs to sell at lower profit as do other brands (compared to Europe). The market share in the US is also a significant benchmark for the company share price etc. I'm not saying this is right or wrong and definitely US customers deserve proper service (I feel we European customers would deserve better service than we do at the moment).
Old 08-27-2021, 03:06 PM

2015 S-550
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I don't get this cash cow view. US cars have always been better optioned but seems options are given for free. If you compare prices between US cars and similarly equipped European cars, the US price seems a lot lower.

My understanding is that competition is much harder in the US and Daimler needs to sell at lower profit as do other brands (compared to Europe). The market share in the US is also a significant benchmark for the company share price etc. I'm not saying this is right or wrong and definitely US customers deserve proper service (I feel we European customers would deserve better service than we do at the moment).
The European prices could include various taxes driving up the prices of all cars. Then we have the exchange rates that vary over time.....
Old 08-28-2021, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by elmalo
The European prices could include various taxes driving up the prices of all cars. Then we have the exchange rates that vary over time.....
True, but US cars are neither absolutely tax free. But we all know how to calculate the tax free price for comparison. Yes, exchange rates vary but cars have been sold long enough to allow sufficient filtering for that.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:16 AM

2015 S-550
True, but US cars are neither absolutely tax free. But we all know how to calculate the tax free price for comparison. Yes, exchange rates vary but cars have been sold long enough to allow sufficient filtering for that.
It takes quite a bit of work to figure out the various taxes and duties on cars sold in each European country. It is not straightforward at all and there is no way one can make big general statements.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:33 AM

2015 S-550
Originally Posted by TwinCam
190Efan is correct, the US is indeed seen as a cash cow by MB. The US market for MB is mature, there is not a lot of growth potential like there is in China. With little attention, the US market will provide a nice cash flow year after year. Load the cars with options, raise the prices and the loyal US customers will line up cash in hand. Delay the introduction of the S Class month after month with no explanation, no one will walk away. MB launched the 2021 S Class last January in China and kept the cars flowing into the country. MB has just touched the surface on all the opportunity China presents…a huge growing market, cheap labor for factories and plenty of rare earth minerals for the batteries of the future. That is where MB’s attention lies. The US market for MB is like a cow, feed it a little hay and sit back while is provides an abundance of milk.
The US market is less of a cash cow than it used to be before Lexus entered the picture. But MB/MBUSA still have not learned. The 2021 S-Class is only available with the 4MATIC system which adds weight, complexity, cost and increases fuel consumption. It is like we all lived on the South Pole or in Siberia, with endless winters. While rear wheel steering that would make life easier on a daily basis is an option. It should be the other way around. RWS basic and 4MATIC an option. After 9 MBs, incl four S-Class variants, I'm losing interest because MB has lost it.
MBZFAN55 (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3

All you need to do is look at the base price on a U.S. market car and note the equipment included in that base price and compare both to the base price and equipment included in the European market MBs. In the case of the W201, the base price of the U.S. market cars was much higher than their European counterparts and they had much more equipment included for the price. In contrast, the European market cars had a much lower base price and they had far less equipment included in the base price in order to keep the price down. Equipment that was standard of the U.S. market cars was optional on the European market cars.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:34 PM

2015 S-550
What is Europe? In Denmark you can pay anywhere from 105% to 150% of the value of the car in taxes. That amount is included in the price of the car. This makes buying a new car a very expensive decision. However, the taxes that you pay on electric and/or hybrid cars may be lower.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:34 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
The "luxury" version is a nicer way of saying "base model" hence the lack of rear steering.
lol, yes. Sounds a lot better than Base Model!
just like Certified Pre-Owned sounds better than Used. Lexus ES 350 sounds better than Toyota Camry. And on and on.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Part of the reason is it simplifies ordering and production. Mercedes knows that generally (but not always), certain customers go for bas cars and certain customers load up their cars. It’s not universal, but there aren’t that many people that area dament about certain features and a lack of others. So Mercedes decided that despite the fact that it would anger 2% of customers that wanted 10 degree RWS but no power rear seats or 4matic, it would make more sense to make a base model with not that much stuff, and make a fully loaded trim I’m, because it greatly simplifies production and stocking vehicles for dealership, and 95% of the people that want some nice features really want all of them.

PS I believe the lack of 4Matic may just be a temporary thing. I imagine RWD was supposed to be available from the ‘22 model year and was delayed because of COVID issues. In general, first years of Mercedes don’t have everything available. Often, AMGs aren’t available until the second year. Even with the W222 S Class, the ‘14 model year didn’t have the RWD S550 and there were a few tech and trim options that weren’t introduced until ‘15.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:01 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
I just don’t understand why the Rear Entertainment System is forced to be included in any car? This should always be an option. Nobody sits in my back seat. I drive my car. Why would a driving feature such as 10 degree rear axle steering be only available on the executive line, and also force me to buy screens for my back seats which look tacky and will gather dust? I would buy the executive line to get the 10 degree RAS if it didn't have the back seat monitors!
Jmcintire217 (08-29-2021)