S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Digital Light RetroFit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
I'm curious to see if my car comes with enabled matrix lighting. Seems possible, dealer knows nothing.*shrugs shoulder*
Old 09-14-2022, 06:18 AM

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Tariq
very interesting, Are the rims 21? I think there are two type of hardware for 10 degree and 4.5 which the last made for 21 rims only.

how this can be activated , also any idea to activate the Energizing Comfort profile,?
Hardware is the same for both 4.5 and 10 degrees. Only a software activation is required to upgrade from 4.5 to10.

Here in China, MB is charging customers a subscription for unlocking the extra 6.5 degrees. The customer pays MB about 800 dollars a year, and MB will activate the upgrade for you, over the air, through Mercedes Me.

4.5 degree is compatible with all wheel sizes. 10 degree limits your rim options to 20 inch or below.

I swapped out my 21s for 19s, after blowing two tires on a single pothole last week

Regarding Energizing comfort - I'm sure the software part can be easily added, once forum member BenzNinja gets his hand on a certificate. Although if your car did not come with some of the required hardware, then you will probably miss out on some aspects of this function. E.g. without massage seats and the fragrance distributor, you may only get the visual and sound effect of energizing comfort, without the 'tangible' stimulants.

Last edited by rw594; 09-14-2022 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:41 PM

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Man I'd love to fit the fragrance distributor LOL. I know it sounds dumb but I loved it in my 7 series. That and the kick trunk thingy were the only 2 options missing on a 157k car so I considering myself lucky.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S580, CLS550, Range Rover Sport
Originally Posted by DoctorDash
Man I'd love to fit the fragrance distributor LOL. I know it sounds dumb but I loved it in my 7 series. That and the kick trunk thingy were the only 2 options missing on a 157k car so I considering myself lucky.
That's exactly what I got my refunds for. $350 - Air Balance, $100 - 871 Hands Free Access. Also thought I'm lucky to have missing only these two small features.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:52 PM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
997.2TTS
any US owners hear of any news/updates on when our models will receive either OTA or at-dealership updates for the ILS+ headlights?
Old 01-19-2023, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tonupbklyn
any US owners hear of any news/updates on when our models will receive either OTA or at-dealership updates for the ILS+ headlights?
I woudnt hold m breathe for any retrotfit. Possibly new users get this but usually they dont OTA the older models. This is why were all waiting for the ninja
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 05:58 PM

997.2TTS
Originally Posted by DoctorDash
I woudnt hold m breathe for any retrotfit. Possibly new users get this but usually they dont OTA the older models. This is why were all waiting for the ninja
I'm still betting on MB providing it as a subscription model, just like they're doing for all the other bells & whistles .

plus, at this rate ninja is going to take just as long!
Old 01-19-2023, 11:22 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
I suspect the necessary coding is too intensive for OTA and perhaps has to be done at a dealership.
And, MB dealerships do not really benefit much financially from this conversion. MBUSA is unlikely to pay the dealers a portion of the subscription money. So, there is really no incentive for a dealer to get excited for this conversion.
DoctorDash (01-22-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Although under NDA they have an agreement on payment for dealer activated subscriptions in the US. Hard to say what that looks like but remember that subscriptions are a long game and often what amounts to printing money since no actual service is provided, the headlights, RWS, are good examples.

Fear not, everyone is getting theirs, it's unfortunate that we have to bend over for our portion but that's grist for a different thread.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:43 AM

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 s 500 swb
Originally Posted by bishop64
I suspect the necessary coding is too intensive for OTA and perhaps has to be done at a dealership.
And, MB dealerships do not really benefit much financially from this conversion. MBUSA is unlikely to pay the dealers a portion of the subscription money. So, there is really no incentive for a dealer to get excited for this conversion.
unless i am wrong to get the digital lights would require more than coding changes. The light assembly is totally different with cars with the digital lighting system
Old 01-20-2023, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
No, you're right, different hardware with different capabilities. I think the confusion comes in when people from an unenlightened ( get it, unenlightened, bwa ha ha) country like the US step into the fray when coding comes up because their vanilla lights are heavily neutered. I'm one of those. Sorry if I've upped the confusion ante.
martinlarose (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:48 PM

997.2TTS
Originally Posted by martinlarose
unless i am wrong to get the digital lights would require more than coding changes. The light assembly is totally different with cars with the digital lighting system
Originally Posted by crabman
No, you're right, different hardware with different capabilities. I think the confusion comes in when people from an unenlightened ( get it, unenlightened, bwa ha ha) country like the US step into the fray when coding comes up because their vanilla lights are heavily neutered. I'm one of those. Sorry if I've upped the confusion ante.
correct! however...all i'm looking for are ILS+ features that are strictly about the the smart high beams (ie, blocking out oncoming traffic or front traffic, and brightening road signs). the other stuff like on-road symbols (eg, hazard, stop signs, etc.) i don't care about.
for those former functions i've mentioned, i believe US headlight hardware is capable of executing those functions via software upgrade. afterall, isn't this what we're waiting for from ninja??
Old 01-20-2023, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Yep, I'm in the same boat. There are several further functions beyond the matrix lighting we're missing. The US owner's manual lists all the functions available with the lighting; there are a half dozen anyway but most of them are Canadian only. Those are what's on the table for us in the US .
Old 01-22-2023, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by tonupbklyn
correct! however...all i'm looking for are ILS+ features that are strictly about the the smart high beams (ie, blocking out oncoming traffic or front traffic, and brightening road signs). the other stuff like on-road symbols (eg, hazard, stop signs, etc.) i don't care about.
for those former functions i've mentioned, i believe US headlight hardware is capable of executing those functions via software upgrade. afterall, isn't this what we're waiting for from ninja??
Thats correct. For all of us the ILS+ which everyone raves about on the 222 more then likely they could offer as a simple subscription and activate. The ones this topic was started about was the actual Digital Lights, like in EU or in the US Maybach which has all the same functionality + projections, etc. Frankly I would spend the money on the DL lamps if I knew we could activate all the features on the, I'm guessing that would be next to impossible as even the Maybach's that have them appear to do nothing more then our current non DL lamps perform. Guess its just a waiting game at this point but we'll see. My new 2023 Model S Plaid supposedly has some Matrix LED lamps that projects Tesla onto a wall and I think does some nonsense, but who knows. There ten times worse with MB with things at release but usually at some point send down a OTA and enable things you never bought the car with
Old 01-30-2023, 01:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C200d W206
Funny thing - I'm in the EU (Denmark), just bought a C220d from may 2021, and I have Digital Lights (code 318) and I have the support for "Projection function via headlamp - animations" (code 43U) - but I am limited to Spotlight, and I don't have the "Supporting Projections" menu option.

I am in the process of finding out how to get the rest activated from an official MB dealer in Denmark, but I am not getting my hopes up!

The codes missing are 30U and 42U (they are a part of the PAX option) - the hardware (318) is installed, and the Animation function (43U) is already coded, these are also a part of the PAX option. I have no idea how you end up missing U30 and U42, as these are available if you order a new C220d today, with all projection active and working... maybe laws have changed in Denmark since 2021

Old 01-30-2023, 06:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 817 Likes on 633 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by LarsB
I am in the process of finding out how to get the rest activated from an official MB dealer in Denmark, but I am not getting my hopes up!
yes you are dreaming

only coders can
Old 01-30-2023, 11:11 PM

C200d W206
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
yes you are dreaming

only coders can
Can, or will?

I guess that an authorized MB dealership could add the two missing codes, if they wanted to?

Right now, no "coders" are able to code for the C220d W206 (other than in China apparently) so if no official dealer wants to help me, I will have to wait till someone gets hold of the correct certificates...
Old 01-31-2023, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Funny thing - I'm in the EU (Denmark), just bought a C220d from may 2021, and I have Digital Lights (code 318) and I have the support for "Projection function via headlamp - animations" (code 43U) - but I am limited to Spotlight, and I don't have the "Supporting Projections" menu option.

The codes missing are 30U and 42U (they are a part of the PAX option) - the hardware (318) is installed, and the Animation function (43U) is already coded, these are also a part of the PAX option. I have no idea how you end up missing U30 and U42, as these are available if you order a new C220d today, with all projection active and working... maybe laws have changed in Denmark since 2021
Could you clarify if you had a spelling error with the codes above, you talk about 30U and 42U first and later U30 and U42!

My car (V223, also within EU) is from 2022 and it has all of these codes. I then looked at an earlier (local) price list from 7/2021 and this price list did not have 30U and 42U. Now it could be an update of the price list contents as for the 223, there is no separate option to choose U30 and/or U42, those come if you select 318 digital lights. It could also be as you say that the EU legislation did not allow some of these new features during 2021. If this was the case, I would assume the dealer would be allowed to add these codes to VeDoc (paid or free) for your car and activate via simple on-line coding update (possibly along with control unit SW updates).

The current 206 price list (local) how ever does not list 42U, only 30U. Is this different for Denmark (I could have checked myself)?
Old 02-01-2023, 12:38 AM

C200d W206
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Could you clarify if you had a spelling error with the codes above, you talk about 30U and 42U first and later U30 and U42!
It's 30U and 42U - sorry for that!

My car (V223, also within EU) is from 2022 and it has all of these codes. I then looked at an earlier (local) price list from 7/2021 and this price list did not have 30U and 42U. Now it could be an update of the price list contents as for the 223, there is no separate option to choose U30 and/or U42, those come if you select 318 digital lights. It could also be as you say that the EU legislation did not allow some of these new features during 2021. If this was the case, I would assume the dealer would be allowed to add these codes to VeDoc (paid or free) for your car and activate via simple on-line coding update (possibly along with control unit SW updates).

The current 206 price list (local) how ever does not list 42U, only 30U. Is this different for Denmark (I could have checked myself)?
They are not separate in the price list, they are a part of PAX (that should be on your price list). PAX includes 318 (the headlamp), 30U and 42U (warning and alarms) and 43U (Projection function via headlamps - animation)

And the dealer just got back to me - they are willing to retrofit/upgrade me to the full PAX, including the warnings and alert.

There are two catches though:

1. They will not guarantee that the warnings and alarms will work in Denmark (even though I have heard from C300 owners with PAX that it does)
2. They are almost quoting me for a full PAX - that is the full price for the Digital Light package, even though I already have the 318 headlamps and the 43U animation option. The full Digital Light package in Denmark is 1300 Euro, and they are quoting me 1080 Euro for an upgrade. That is insane to me.

I'm not sure what I will do. I guess reach out to more dealerships to get other quotes, now that I know that an official upgrade IS possible.
Diesel Benz (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:28 AM

C200d W206
yes you are dreaming

only coders can
Well, you were wrong - my official dealer have offered to upgrade me / code the missing options. At a cost that is
Old 02-01-2023, 05:21 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Well, you were wrong - my official dealer have offered to upgrade me / code the missing options. At a cost that is
maybe in your country
but not in the USA
DoctorDash (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
maybe in your country
but not in the USA
Maybe not in the USA but LarsB clearly stated that he comes from Denmark and expects answers covering his issue. Mistakes happen, I'm good at that but I acknowledge not reading carefully or simply having been wrong when that has been the case.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:21 AM

C200d W206
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Maybe not in the USA but LarsB clearly stated that he comes from Denmark and expects answers covering his issue. Mistakes happen, I'm good at that but I acknowledge not reading carefully or simply having been wrong when that has been the case.
Thanks Diesel - yeah, I guess being a bit contextual when you answer someone, would go a long way - as you say, I'm from Denmark so telling me "No", when it's "No, not in the US" is kinda' a "Muh point" as Joey from Friends said
Old 02-02-2023, 03:43 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Thanks Diesel - yeah, I guess being a bit contextual when you answer someone, would go a long way - as you say, I'm from Denmark so telling me "No", when it's "No, not in the US" is kinda' a "Muh point" as Joey from Friends said
didn't see you where from Denmark as you did not show your location
as this board is kind of USA ..; my mistake
Old 02-03-2023, 12:48 AM

C200d W206
didn't see you where from Denmark as you did not show your location
as this board is kind of USA ..; my mistake
Really? - You even quoted on my post where I wrote that I'm in Denmark

Well, let by gones be by gones

As far as I can see, people are from Spain, China and everywhere else on this forum

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Digital Light RetroFit