Not disappointed with the S580, with Mercedes Benz USA and with my dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 03:57 PM

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts
S580 4matic 2023
Not disappointed with the S580, with Mercedes Benz USA and with my dealership

Hello everyone.

After a few months of back and forth between the service departments - complaining about serious ride quality issues - My MB dealership and I finally worked a deal on a brand new S580 - and it does not disappoint.

Last edited by zukiper; 04-03-2023 at 11:39 PM. Reason: The dealership resolved the situation amicably - and the new S580 DOES NOT DISSAPPOINT - So the title needs to reflect that ;)
Old 01-28-2023, 04:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,931 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by zukiper
Hello everyone.

Recently purchased a CPO S580 2022 with less than 1500 Miles, that drives awful. While driving on "not 100% perfect smooth roads" your body sways left to right to left to right....like the left and right suspension actuators are out of sync.
In my previous 2019 S222, the airmatic ensured the cabin occupants a very smooth ride. Was like driving on a cloud.
When complained to the dealership, their initial response to me on the phone was "Car drives as designed - there are no issues"
After I persisted that there is an issue - Suddenly they found out that the airmatic AND rear axle steering required software updates. Which they did.
They said that after the software updates the car drives like an S-Class should drive.

IT DID NOT. It drove exactly the same as before.

Then I took it to a closer branch of the same dealership. A different service center.
​​​​​​When complained to this location of the dealership, their initial response to me on the phone was same "Car drives as designed - there are no issues" or "just drive in S+ mode only"
After I persisted very vocally that there is an issue - Suddenly....behold... they found out that the airmatic system has multiple electrical fault codes, as they also had to replace the entire Airmatic Control Unit.
They said that after fixing the valves and airmatic unit - NOW the car drives like an S-Class should drive.

Sadly IT DID NOT. The same body sway exists. It drove a little smoother, as they also reduced my tires PSI from 42 to 30

Third time vehicle went in for service, they agreed to make sure the loaner will be an S580, so I can compare the ride with exactly same type of vehicle on all my regular roads and routes.
The moment I drove their S580 loaner off the dealership lot, I felt the Night and Day difference between the vehicles. The loaner S580 drove like my older W222, no body roll or sway in side the cabin was felt.
It drove like you were riding on a cloud.

The final outcome is that the "numbers" on the computer show that my S580 is normal, so they exhausted all their repair ideas, and the fact that their loaner DID DRIVE 10 times better - is of no interest to anyone.
Which I cannot understand?? Why then offer your client to test drive their S580 loaner, in my main area of driving, allowing me to compare the 2 cars - IF THEY TOTALLY IGNORE the findings.

MBUSA - also do not care. They said it is Not their issue - they said to speak with dealership. (which

Dealership also don't care - since the computer says the car is per specifications. They do not care about the actual symptoms as described by the owner/driver - only care about Fault codes.

Does anyone with an S580, feel they have excessive body roll / sway inside the cabin while driving?? Do let me know !
When driving - do you feel your body rocking from left to right??.

Let me know how many of you have a "superb" & "cloud like" ride quality on your new W223 and how many of you are feeling this annoying body sway inside the cabin while driving.
Sorry to hear about the experience and hope a solution is found. This is typical MB - junk customer care and junk products.

30psi tire pressure, that’s a hilarious failed attempt by the manufacturer’s stooge agent to cover up a product defect.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:20 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Hello everyone.

Recently purchased a CPO S580 2022 with less than 1500 Miles, that drives awful. While driving on "not 100% perfect smooth roads" your body sways left to right to left to right....like the left and right suspension actuators are out of sync.
In my previous 2019 S222, the airmatic ensured the cabin occupants a very smooth ride. Was like driving on a cloud.
When complained to the dealership, their initial response to me on the phone was "Car drives as designed - there are no issues"
After I persisted that there is an issue - Suddenly they found out that the airmatic AND rear axle steering required software updates. Which they did.
They said that after the software updates the car drives like an S-Class should drive.

Then I took it to a closer branch of the same dealership. A different service center.
​​​​​​When complained to this location of the dealership, their initial response to me on the phone was same "Car drives as designed - there are no issues" or "just drive in S+ mode only"
After I persisted very vocally that there is an issue - Suddenly....behold... they found out that the airmatic system has multiple electrical fault codes, as they also had to replace the entire Airmatic Control Unit.
They said that after fixing the valves and airmatic unit - NOW the car drives like an S-Class should drive.

Sadly IT DID NOT. The same body sway exists. It drove a little smoother, as they also reduced my tires PSI from 42 to 30

Third time vehicle went in for service, they agreed to make sure the loaner will be an S580, so I can compare the ride with exactly same type of vehicle on all my regular roads and routes.
The moment I drove their S580 loaner off the dealership lot, I felt the Night and Day difference between the vehicles. The loaner S580 drove like my older W222, no body roll or sway in side the cabin was felt.

The final outcome is that the "numbers" on the computer show that my S580 is normal, so they exhausted all their repair ideas, and the fact that their loaner DID DRIVE 10 times better - is of no interest to anyone.
Which I cannot understand?? Why then offer your client to test drive their S580 loaner, in my main area of driving, allowing me to compare the 2 cars - IF THEY TOTALLY IGNORE the findings.

MBUSA - also do not care. They said it is Not their issue - they said to speak with dealership. (which

Dealership also don't care - since the computer says the car is per specifications. They do not care about the actual symptoms as described by the owner/driver - only care about Fault codes.

Does anyone with an S580, feel they have excessive body roll / sway inside the cabin while driving?? Do let me know !

Let me know how many of you have a "superb" & "cloud like" ride quality on your new W223 and how many of you are feeling this annoying body sway inside the cabin while driving.
So, after all the software updates and hardware checks, does your car now still exhibit excessive body roll?
In addition to relying on the car's fault codes (objective aspect), the dealership's technician must also give the car some test drives to feel the actual road feel (subjective aspect).
If they have not done a test drive (hard to imagine this omission), maybe you can take their technician a test drive and see what they have to say then?

Also, did you test drive the car before buying? I wonder, this behaviour must be so obvious that it cannot be missed on the first drive.

Maybe you can keep the loaner until the issue is fixed?
Old 01-28-2023, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
The fundamental issue is that dealerships are at the mercy of the manufacturers. They have to show that something is clearly wrong, best with failure codes, in order for the manufacturer to let them replace parts and approve the warranty case. I've had several discussions with my SA about things like this. Trust me, they are at times as frustrated as customers are. For example I think my battery in my C63 has an issue, because my trickle charger the last two times indicated a faulty battery, but I just had it in for service and it past the battery test that dealerships are forced to do before MB agrees to a new battery. It still holds a charge and hasn't really caused any issues, but I still think the battery is not 100%. I also had a suspension issue. I was getting a high pitch noise at slow parking lot speeds coming from the rear of the car. I've showed them a recording and others have had the same issue. A member here actually tracked it down on their car to the damper module making the noise. It took me three visits and talking to the service manager to escalate the issue to AMG until they finally found that both my rear dampers made the noise and replaced them. Now it's all good.

A subjective feel of the car having excessive roll is gonna be hard to get a warranty case approved if there are no longer any fault codes. Especially, since the S Class is fundamentally floaty, aloof and soft. I had an S500 loaner while my C63 was in for service and an S Class drives like the boat it fundamentally is. Hard to tell from your description whether there's an actual problem. I mean in Comfort mode this thing floats, dives under braking and rolls around, because the suspension is so soft and the car is heavy. Can't have body control and at the same time be soft like that. Do you have the standard AIRMATIC or the optional E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL suspension? I had to drive the standard AIRMATIC in S+, because otherwise I was about to get sea sick. The E-ABC suspension uses actuators for better body control while still allowing for a soft suspension and reads the road ahead, so it's a rather complicated suspension and who knows if there are software bugs, which the dealership can't do anything about.

Not sure why the S580 loaner drove differently, but AIRMATIC vs E-ABC could be one reason. Did you check how the loaner was optioned compared to yours?

Last edited by superswiss; 01-28-2023 at 08:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
Baloo588 (01-28-2023), crconsulting (01-29-2023), DoctorDash (02-19-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 08:15 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Also what's important is what rim size was on your s580 and the loaner plus which tire brand? My s580 rides smooth as it should be without any wallowing on the original 21s and Michelin 4S, replacement 20s and Michelin pilot all season n spec and 19 inch winters with Michelin xice 35 psi. Plus I have all my wheels and tires road force balance below 10 lbs of road force for glass smooth ride at all speeds. Otherwise excessive road force causes tire hop at speed and vibration.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:17 PM

Hello everyone.

I also suggest you have them get the factory rep to drop in to dealer and have that person drive the S580. They will know exactly what is the issue and give the next best step to the dealer.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:13 AM

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
'23 S580 Manufaktur and '21 GLE 53 Coupe (Past MBZ: 2020 GT63, S65, S63, E55, CL65, S550, C32)
Originally Posted by Baloo588
I also suggest you have them get the factory rep to drop in to dealer and have that person drive the S580. They will know exactly what is the issue and give the next best step to the dealer.
100% I would ask for the same thing. I had an issue with my S65 years ago when the state changed the gas additives. The dealership finally got the factory rep involved after they did all they could. The rep worked directly with the factory who sent software updates specifically for this issue.

My sample size of time behind the wheel with my 23 580 is only a few days (21" wheels and E-ABC). I did drive 6 hours in it today mostly on the freeway. Prior to this I had a 580 loner for 3 weeks on 20's last year. I have only driven a Mercedes as daily for 19 years (multiple S classes S63, S65, CL65, etc.) I'm saying that just for reference if that helps. I have never experienced the rocking/swaying you are describing.) I don't want to jinx myself by car drives like a dream. The E-ABC eats up speed bumps like Pac-Man and overall experience is smooth and comfortable. I may be a bit biased because I'm coming from a GT63 which is a different animal.

I sincerely hope you get to the answer of this. It is a frustrating feeling to spend this much on something that you likely spend a decent amount of time in, not to be happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsoloddss65:
crabman (01-29-2023), Spicy (02-01-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
There have been several with different but similar complaints at this point; I think maybe @Streamliner has been the most vocal. The car isn't driving as expected for an S-Class; this is the issue. For some it's too stiff, some say it's wallowing, this one sways to the left and right. Starting to feel like there's something there to me, I hope they get something figured out for you folks!

I can at least confirm that my car doesn't wallow, sway, etc. It's quite composed and doesn't have as much body roll as I'd expect, given the soft ride. There should be a win for you if it gets sorted out.
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
Diesel Benz (01-29-2023), Streamliner (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 07:59 AM
SPONSOR

Received 817 Likes on 633 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
sell it for a 2019
The following 3 users liked this post by BenzNinja:
drose224 (02-20-2023), MBS63AMG (04-01-2023), Streamliner (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I would demand a factory rep.

I have someone who works for me that has a 911 and she has had a hellish time getting a misaligned window replaced. Finally after 5 attempts to fix it a factory rep is coming into town Feb 2nd to look at it.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
The OP mentioned AirMatic, so I believe his car is equipped with it. With the option cost of $6,500.00, EABC cars are relatively rare in comparison.

My history: I’ve bought or leased 60, brand new cars, of which the majority were higher end luxury cars. I’ve had 17 new MB’s and my last 8 new cars have been MB. My 4, previous daily drivers have been 2013 S550 w/ABC, 2015 S550 w/MBC, 2018 S560 wMBC, 2020 S560 w/MBC, all with 18” wheels and non-run flat tires.

My 2022 S580 is an Executive Line, with 10 degree, Rear Axle Steering, 19” wheels and EABC. I leased it new from a dealer that was about a two hour drive from my home, so I never drove it before it was delivered to me on a flatbed. “THE” biggest mistake of my automotive buying/leasing history and I’ll never do that again.

My car in “Comfort” or “Curve” mode, at speeds under 60mph, picks up most EVERY road imperfection and transmits it to the cabin. Took it to my local dealer, Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach—largest in the USA—and the shop foreman drove with me and he exclaimed how bad the ride was. They kept the car for ten days, returning it to me, saying there were “no codes,” they reduced the tire pressure from the recommended 42# to 35# and pronounced it “fixed.” It still rode horribly, in my opinion.

I replaced the original Hankook run flats with Continental non-RFT. Big improvement, but still NOT NEARLY the ride of my previous four, new S Class sedans. Took it back to Fletcher Jones and THEY reduced the tire pressure to 24# cold, said “No Codes,” and said the car is “functioning as designed.” The car now may have rode a bit better over road imperfections, but the feeling when cornering was mushy, so I inflated to 33# cold.

I complained to MBUSA and “opened a case,” which they have now closed, saying that “the car is operating as designed.” Fletcher Jones has done everything, WITHOUT actually saying it, that they want me to GO AWAY. They no longer return my calls or emails. I tried to make an appointment with another local dealer, but they don’t seem to want my business either. I have this sick feeling that when they put the VIN into their system that lights flash saying something like “PAIN IN THE *** CUSTOMER, SHINE HIM ON!”

Bottom line: On non-AMG cars, all of the optional suspensions, such as ABC & MBC provided a much smoother, very comfortable ride. EABC, at least in my car, does not. Mind you, the handling is great, but the ride quality, is not in the same league as ABC or MBC equipped cars. If you don’t want body lean and handling is your big deal, get EABC. If supreme comfort & ride quality are really important to you, stay with the standard AirMatic. For me, I’m probably done with MB.

To be continued.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Another note: I had never bought a new car from a dealer not local to me. I’ve never experienced trying to get a dealer who did not sell you the car, to go beyond simply servicing it. Somehow, I thought MB would take care of me no matter what. WRONG! Non-selling dealers really don’t want to go the extra mile to help with an issue that doesn’t “throw a code.”
Mercedes-Benz: The Best or Nothing. Yeah, right.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
I don't own a W223, but the one I drove back to back with my W222 (both airmatic, my 222 on non run flat 19s and the 223 on run flat 20s) rode very similarly...seeing that the OP had a 580 loaner that he thought rode totally differently, something is going on with variations in the suspension here...
Old 01-29-2023, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Suspensions fall largely into two categories. Either they are soft and then the car rolls, pitches and squats, or they are firmer to provide body control and handling, but then you gonna feel the road. Can't really have it both ways, as Comfort and Handling are on complete opposite ends of the suspension spectrum. DYNAMIC SELECT allows you to pick the desired balance between the two, and the adaptive nature of the suspension can adapt to specific conditions to optimize the balance further, but that's about it. As I said, with the AIRMATIC in Comfort the S500 I had rolled, pitched and squatted. With it in S+ all that was reduced, but you felt the bumps in the road. Nothing surprising or unusual about that. That's how suspensions work. A possible malfunction of the suspension could be that it is stuck in one mode, or there was a coding issue at the factory and it's not adjusting correctly between C, S and S+.

One exception are suspensions with adaptive sway bars. They can almost decouple the sway bars in a straight line so the wheels can move completely independent over bumps for better comfort and then when cornering they tighten up to reduce roll etc. I don't believe the S Class has adaptive sway bars. It's something that has found its way primarily to SUVs.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-29-2023 at 12:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
chassis (01-29-2023), crconsulting (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by superswiss
Suspensions fall largely into two categories. Either they are soft and then the car rolls, pitches and squats, or they are firmer to provide body control and handling, but then you gonna feel the road. Can't really have it both ways. As I said, with the AIRMATIC in Comfort the S500 I had rolled, pitched and squatted. With it in S+ all that was reduced, but you felt the bumps in the road. One exception are suspensions with adaptive sway bars. They can almost decouple the sway bars in a straight line so the wheels can move completely independent over bumps for better comfort and then when cornering they tighten up to reduce roll etc. I don't believe the S Class has adaptive sway bars. It's something that has found its way primarily to SUVs.
Modern technology helps that. I find my S rides extremely well yet is surprisingly flat with handling, Sport mode firms that up even more without destroying the ride. Thats the beauty of adaptive dampers.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by SW20S
Modern technology helps that. I find my S rides extremely well yet is surprisingly flat with handling, Sport mode firms that up even more without destroying the ride. Thats the beauty of adaptive dampers.
Yes, as I said adaptive suspensions can balance the two aspects and they do it multiple times a second so the damping is much more optimal at all times, but fundamentally suspensions still operate the same. It all depends on your point of reference. I have to tell you the S Class handles pretty poorly. Admittedly it's a large, heavy car, so it's all relative, but good handling is something else.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Yes, as I said adaptive suspensions can balance the two aspects and they do it multiple times a second so the damping is much more optimal at all times, but fundamentally suspensions still operate the same. It all depends on your point of reference. I have to tell you the S Class handles pretty poorly. Admittedly it's a large, heavy car, so it's all relative, but good handling is something else.
The S Class handles poorly to you because you are accustomed to a C63S. I wouldn't drive a C63 if someone gave me one, it has no appeal to me at all, zero. The S Class handles very well for what it is, as someone who has driven this type of car for many years and driven all the competitors over and over again I can tell you with 100% certainty that is true, at least of my W222, I haven't had enough seat time in a 223 to say that but the ones I have driven lead me to believe that is also true.

You saying the S Class handles poorly is like me saying the C63S rides poorly. It does, to me but that's not what the car is about or for.
carmarster (02-20-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
PDCC helps for sure, a wonderful technology. It doesn't just change the rate to improve the ride in a straight line while keeping the car flat in corners though; it also gives the engineers a chance to adjust the cars balance on the fly. Increase the rate on the rear relative to the front and you get reduced understeer, reduce it and you push toward understeer. They use this at Porsche to improve safety in emergency maneuvers, keep the car neutral when you're having a little fun, and let you go into oversteer when it detects you're wanting to have a lot of fun.

It would be easy to get that wrong but they handle it masterfully and it's all completely seamless. I still think if Porsche decided to make an actual luxury sedan; that car would kick sand in this car's face and walk away with the girl. Kinda makes me wonder what sort of ride the Bentley has in the Flying Spur?
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
chassis (01-29-2023), superswiss (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
The Flying spur doesn't ride as softly as the S Class, its a sportier ride
crabman (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by crabman
……………It would be easy to get that wrong but they handle it masterfully and it's all completely seamless. I still think if Porsche decided to make an actual luxury sedan; that car would kick sand in this car's face and walk away with the girl. Kinda makes me wonder what sort of ride the Bentley has in the Flying Spur?

I drove a New Flying Spur when they first came out. Compared to the 2020 S560 I was driving at the time, the Bentley seemed ponderous, bloated and not nearly as buttoned down as my MBC equipped MB. I have not driven a Bentley with their Bentley Dynamic Ride optional suspension, but I’d like to try it.
crabman (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Huh. I don't see Bentley types flogging their cars but as I think about a Bentley type in my mind is the guy asking for Grey Poupon... Might not be an accurate picture of those owners.*facepalm*
Old 01-29-2023, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Bentleys have always been more driver focused, you're thinking of a Rolls Royce owner.
Baloo588 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SW20S
Bentleys have always been more driver focused, you're thinking of a Rolls Royce owner.
As an owner of a 2022 RS7 tuned with unitronic stage 1plus to 760hp and 22 inch rims which is a hoot to drive and throw around, the S class is designed to be comfortable, serene yet composed. That being said I'm still impressed with the S580 ride and handling. Can't try to satisfy everyone unfortunately.
SW20S (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 02:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,931 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Suspensions fall largely into two categories. Either they are soft and then the car rolls, pitches and squats, or they are firmer to provide body control and handling, but then you gonna feel the road. Can't really have it both ways, as Comfort and Handling are on complete opposite ends of the suspension spectrum. DYNAMIC SELECT allows you to pick the desired balance between the two, and the adaptive nature of the suspension can adapt to specific conditions to optimize the balance further, but that's about it. As I said, with the AIRMATIC in Comfort the S500 I had rolled, pitched and squatted. With it in S+ all that was reduced, but you felt the bumps in the road. Nothing surprising or unusual about that. That's how suspensions work. A possible malfunction of the suspension could be that it is stuck in one mode, or there was a coding issue at the factory and it's not adjusting correctly between C, S and S+.

One exception are suspensions with adaptive sway bars. They can almost decouple the sway bars in a straight line so the wheels can move completely independent over bumps for better comfort and then when cornering they tighten up to reduce roll etc. I don't believe the S Class has adaptive sway bars. It's something that has found its way primarily to SUVs.
SUVs, and sportscars and sedans. 911 PDCC uses hydraulic drop links. Panamera uses a 48V electric torsional actuator, same as Cayenne, Audi, BMW and MB AMG Active Ride Control.

Audi has the best tech videos:https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...ort-suspension

Last edited by chassis; 01-29-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Baloo588 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Don't get me wrong; if I was looking to have fun I'd be in a different car. I bought this one to sample the full meal luxury deal. I kinda like it, there's a sense of being pampered. Can't describe it exactly but it turns out I enjoy it. Of course my suspension is working right; I feel sorry for the guys that have issues because the cush factor is what this car does well.
The following 3 users liked this post by crabman:
Baloo588 (01-29-2023), carmarster (02-20-2023), superswiss (01-29-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not disappointed with the S580, with Mercedes Benz USA and with my dealership