S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Ordering a new S class, few questions on confusing options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordering a new S class, few questions on confusing options

Hello all,
I checked out the new S and new 7 and I find the S class very comforting , much simpler and calmer to use and much nicer to look than new 7 and I think would be a great addition to my gle 43 amg coupe and 911 cab

I was amazed at the manufaktur signature deep white interior at the dealer in an s580, wow what an interior , it looked great but I think is expensive at 12K, I might get that or the macchiato beige/magma grey NAPPA leather with warmth and comfort package for the pillows and rear powered memory seats and heating elements , not the exclusive one as it makes the lower section beige which I don’t like

I am fine with the s500 power , it is the options that get bundled like 4 zone and 10 degree to s580 and rear seat pkg that cannot be ordered ala carte

I have a few questions from the 2023 order guider as the online build is confusing
my must have options are nappa leather in manufaktur white or macchiato beige & magma , warmth and comfort package , may be options are ; 64 color led, amg line , eabc, rear steer and high end audio

1) the 23 order guide says you can get the manufakur interior on s500 but it is not visible on the s500 online build but the manfaktur paints are visible in the build
2) I would like black wheels to go with graphite grey metallic exterior but looks like one has to get amg line , the online build is not showing visually the difference between luxury line and amg line . Does the amg line black out the chrome trim etc around the side windows?
3) I am debating whether to get the high end audio as I usually listen to podcasts and some music ( 80/20 ratio ), btw what is 4d audio ? Does the base of seat rumble ? Lol and can it be turned off if annoying ? And does the extra subwoofer cut into trunk space ?
4) I could not get to to checkout 4d audio or eabc to see how good the eABC is in bends to minimize body roll , any feedback on this ?
5) Also, to get EABC , one has to get 3d tech pack, hmmm , worth it ? As I could not check that out too
6) finally, only amg line I think gets you 4.5 rear steering , is that worth it ?
mbusa site is not that informative and it is a bummer that 23 s500 can be built online but no the s580 , any feedback would be appreciated

Thank you in advance

Last edited by smjc_99; 01-30-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 S63 Sedan
This might not be the answer you're looking for, but I suggest a visit to the dealer, especially if you have someone there you like. I have a friend at mine, and he let me sit at the desk and build one. WAAYYY different than what they show on their site. The salespeople at the dealer even admitted that the MB site isn't the best for building a car.

And for your reference, I was building a 2023 S580.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (01-31-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:51 PM

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
'23 S580 Manufaktur and '21 GLE 53 Coupe (Past MBZ: 2020 GT63, S65, S63, E55, CL65, S550, C32)
Originally Posted by smjc_99
Hello all,
I checked out the new S and new 7 and I find the S class very comforting , much simpler and calmer to use and much nicer to look than new 7 and I think would be a great addition to my gle 43 amg coupe and 911 cab

I was amazed at the manufaktur signature deep white interior at the dealer in an s580, wow what an interior , it looked great but I think is expensive at 12K, I might get that or the macchiato beige/magma grey NAPPA leather with warmth and comfort package for the pillows and rear powered memory seats and heating elements , not the exclusive one as it makes the lower section beige which I don’t like

I am fine with the s500 power , it is the options that get bundled like 4 zone and 10 degree to s580 and rear seat pkg that cannot be ordered ala carte

I have a few questions from the 2023 order guider as the online build is confusing
my must have options are nappa leather in manufaktur white or macchiato beige & magma , warmth and comfort package , may be options are ; 64 color led, amg line , eabc, rear steer and high end audio

1) the 23 order guide says you can get the manufakur interior on s500 but it is not visible on the s500 online build but the manfaktur paints are visible in the build
2) I would like black wheels to go with graphite grey metallic exterior but looks like one has to get amg line , the online build is not showing visually the difference between luxury line and amg line . Does the amg line black out the chrome trim etc around the side windows?
3) I am debating whether to get the high end audio as I usually listen to podcasts and some music ( 80/20 ratio ), btw what is 4d audio ? Does the base of seat rumble ? Lol and can it be turned off if annoying ? And does the extra subwoofer cut into trunk space ?
4) I could not get to to checkout 4d audio or eabc to see how good the eABC is in bends to minimize body roll , any feedback on this ?
5) Also, to get EABC , one has to get 3d tech pack, hmmm , worth it ? As I could not check that out too
6) finally, only amg line I think gets you 4.5 rear steering , is that worth it ?
mbusa site is not that informative and it is a bummer that 23 s500 can be built online but no the s580 , any feedback would be appreciated

Thank you in advance
Great minds think alike! My wife has a GLE53 Coupe and I have a 6 day old S580 in Graphite Grey (AMG, Manufaktur Deep White, E-ABC, 3D) I can't answer all of your questions but I will help as much as I can.

Don't bother with the MBUSA site. Go to the dealership and have them build one to see the options.

I suspect that they are not showing the Manufaktur interiors online because the most current build guide says there is a 8 month wait. For reference my car was supposed to be delivered in the last decade of August and I just got it last week.

I had not seen graphite grey in person until my car showed up. I love it. I did not order the night package as I wanted the chrome around the windows, running board and front. The car came with the silver wheels. I had dumb luck when I picked up my car and some else had a special order and wanted my wheels. We did a swap.

E-ABC: I have it and besides making speed bumps disappear I am not sure what it is doing for me. Some have said it made the ride more rough. I'm coming from a GT63 so I'm not the best person to ask. It feels amazing to me. It's $6500 and not sure it's worth it.

I mostly listen to podcasts, YouTube documentaries and webinars (yeah I'm a party on wheels). I have been very happy with the just the 3D system with music so far.

4.5 steering-I would not want to have this boat of a car without it. I drove an executive line for 3 weeks with the 10 and it was amazing.

Yes, those are bespoke pillows I had made for my back seat. My wife and teenagers have been making fun of me since I got them. I'm a grown man and if I want pillows handmade for my car...I'm going to get them.

Feel free to message me if I can be of any help. (Or if you want to make fun of my pillows)

declo2000 (02-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 12:06 AM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
‘22 S500
Jsolo….If it’s “bespoke,” I’m usually in! I love the pillows. Your car looks great!
Old 01-31-2023, 12:14 AM

'23 S580 Manufaktur and '21 GLE 53 Coupe (Past MBZ: 2020 GT63, S65, S63, E55, CL65, S550, C32)
Originally Posted by Peter
Jsolo….If it’s “bespoke,” I’m usually in! I love the pillows. Your car looks great!
I am amongst my people!
Old 01-31-2023, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts
23 S580 Executive
You've been able to do that since last June when I ordered mine. The 23s were in production in August and the model year will be fully half over by the time they get their configurator up to date if it becomes functional as I write this post.

That's some real fail.

As to the OP I'd get out there and sample some of the different options. There is no real difference between 22 and 23 other than the Manufaktor colors inside and out so any car on the lot so work. A few things to pay attention to...

Try and find a car with the exclusive leather if you have not seen it. It very much ups the ante as it's everywhere you look and brings the extended trim with it. You don't wonder where the 3k went. Not saying you should order it but you should know what you're getting with and without.

AMG line is a fairly popular choice; you shouldn't have trouble finding one to have a look at to compare styling.

If you do go AMG please read about the 21" wheels and carnage before checking that box. Multiple threads will come up in a search.

The other options are more of a crapshoot. Some here will tell you they like them, others will tell you not to waste your money. That's on all of them. You will not see a consensus. You should be able to find the 3D tech on the lots, 4D is more iffy, E-ABC more iffy yet. You're best outcome is to find it and choose after having fiddled with the options in question if possible.

My take on 3D is that the HUD is excellent, I would buy it for that. The 3D has a cool factor and I use it but I wouldn't consider it a real value add. As I said, you should be able to find one and make up your mind after seeing it in action.

The 4D is fantastic. Stellar. That said, it's stupidly expensive. It's a good choice for those who are into it and have the ching; they won't be disappointed. If it's not your bag you may want to skip it. The stock stereo is good, as good as I've seen for a default stereo. You'll want to listen to it before dismissing it.

Rear wheel steering is a huge benefit in the lots but it means AMG or Executive and the latter means going to the 580. I drive in the city; it's almost unbelievable how much easier it makes it to horse this car into tight spots: It's not a small car. The flip side of this is that if I were in a rural area I wouldn't miss it.
declo2000 (02-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 01:02 AM

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
MY 18 S450V RWD Diamond White
Car is gorgeous & pillows look great. Nice package.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:01 AM

Thx for the replies ,
1) I am getting to get my car look like below which is my preference , in graphite grey with black wheels , so looks like I have to get amg line with 21 inch black wheels and night pkg to get the trim blackened , is that accurate ? And I guess the ride with 21 is harsh ?
2) I would have gone for the exclusive nappa with macchiato beige and magma but for some reason Mercedes’ makes the lower area beige when going to exclusive which is a bummer , so might consider just the nappa with macchiato or jump to manufaktur crystal white or the carmine red exclusive nappa
3) I probably will stick with standard 3d audio and just get the warmth and comfort pkg, flowing lines trim, amg line& night pkg and 4.5 rear wheel as options

Side view

Last edited by smjc_99; 01-31-2023 at 08:21 AM.
declo2000 (02-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 09:12 AM

2016 S63 Sedan
Silver is also nice. This is what I will be ordering with a black headliner and full, black nappa steering wheel.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
In that case you'll be wanting to read this...

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-pirellis.html

But that's not all...

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...es-wheels.html

Only 500 miles, ouch...

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...lown-tire.html

If course both the wheels and tires are often on backorder...

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ld-you-do.html

A few of these people sold their car after their 21"wheel experience. I can recall when some of them said they would be careful and it would be fine. One said only inattentive drivers have this problem. Most spent their days driving like they had a trunk full of nitroglycerin, because that's so much fun.

And you... Where will you be left on the side of the road? Will it be raining? Dark? Will you have your family with you? Note the lack of the word "if" in those questions...? I'm not trying to be a Richard here; just trying to get you to think about it a little. People have had poor luck with that combo.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 481 Likes on 357 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by smjc_99
Thx for the replies ,
1) I am getting to get my car look like below which is my preference , in graphite grey with black wheels , so looks like I have to get amg line with 21 inch black wheels and night pkg to get the trim blackened , is that accurate ? And I guess the ride with 21 is harsh ?
2) I would have gone for the exclusive nappa with macchiato beige and magma but for some reason Mercedes’ makes the lower area beige when going to exclusive which is a bummer , so might consider just the nappa with macchiato or jump to manufaktur crystal white or the carmine red exclusive nappa
3) I probably will stick with standard 3d audio and just get the warmth and comfort pkg, flowing lines trim, amg line& night pkg and 4.5 rear wheel as options

Side view
The black wheels are 20 inch wheels which don't have the complaints, 21s are an upgrade on AMG night cars and are the wheels in jsoloddss65's post. He has the chrome window surrounds as he does not have a night package car but those are the night package 21 inch wheels.

I don't believe there is a color difference in the lower area between the beige nappa and exclusive nappa, though I could be wrong. But I believe they look exactly the same. So if you're not okay with the light lower area, I'd go carmine or deep white or even silver/gray, and if you don't mind that I'd recommend exclusive over standard nappa, as it makes the headliner suede, the lower and upper door trim and dashboard nappa instead of MB-Tex grained faux leather, and adds wood and ambient lighting to the back of the front seats.

64 color ambient lighting is standard, the "active" version adds a few additional strips of lighting and the "active" responses like temp control, blind spot, acceleration/deceleration, etc. Gimmicky for some people, necessary for others. Very common option except when it wasn't available due to chortages. I'd recommend it personally.

You can't get the 4 zone climate on an AMG line but note that would significantly eat into center console space so at least there's a plus side.

I've heard amazing things about rear wheel steering but note some people have said it makes the normal steering feel worse

As for 3D tech which is required to get e-abc, if you like a head up display, the AR HUD is the best in the business, but if you don't, and you're not getting the e-abc, don't bother.
crabman (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 09:49 AM

I looked again at the configuratior , the black wheels I think are 20 inch but configurator says 21 inch , lol- confused . I am sure the exclusive macchiato makes the lower area beige so my exclusive choices will be carmine or manufaktur white to get the headliner in black suede which I love along with the extra leather and wood

Silver interior in black exterior looks great in this video but in person I thought the interior was not as impressive as in this video , might have to go back and look t it again

oh wow , thanks for posting the 21 inch tire issues , crazy - one of the reasons my friend never got a panamera was because it does not come with a donut tire and also no have a run flat option , now MB is in the same boat - my 911 has 20 inch wheels and tires and so far no issues with blowouts but newer 911s have 21 rears ,who knows how they are dealing with blowouts

honestly it is a piece of mind that my gle 43 that I have , has a spare in the trunk and it did come in handy once in the last 4 years without getting stranded or towing to dealer;

Last edited by smjc_99; 01-31-2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:25 AM

2016 S63 Sedan
The black wheels are 20". I took a picture of the build page on the computer screen when I was allowed to sit at the desk and build mine. The option costs $1,150.

20" AMG Multispoke Wheels painted with High-Gloss Black - This is exactly how it's worded on the dealer's build page.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
It's just the 21s people have had (a lot of) problems with, poor tire, too aggressive on the aspect ratio, soft wheel, heavy car. Not a recipe for trouble free motoring.

On the carpeting you can buy something like the Lloyds which look nicer than stock mats and cover more area, not an answer but it would help if you decide to go that way. Same if you run weathertech or similar mats.

The ambient adds a lot of color. Not trying to be Captain Obvious but it's more additive than I expected and others have reported the same thing. Not sure where you go with that but it's just something to keep in mind when you're picking the interior color: You get a lot out of the ambient. As far as the ambient lights themselves they've drawn some derogatory commentary from a few posters but I think they look great and it's nice to be able to change up the interior look with them. I'm with Mr Kohl on liking the active ambient; in my case I like the lane change and car coming when you open the door warnings.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:02 PM

@smjc_99 To drive home what @crabman was saying about the issue with the 21's...my salesperson included a full-size spare/cover with my car as they have had many come back blown. It is the one option I wish I did not select. My 2c is the black 20's look phenomenal in that photo. Now I have wheel envy...thanks a lot.....
Old 01-31-2023, 11:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2022 S580 Executive trim
I have a 2022 Executive line which got delivered exactly 8 months after ordering. (Thank God I got it the same year.)
Absolutely love the EABC with the 19 inch wheels. Makes you feel like cornering on rails without sacrificing acceptable for an S class ride quality.
If you are a music aficionado, 4 D is a different dimension. If you're not, you won't miss it.
I came from a 2020 BMW 750 i x drive, and except for the noticeable lower torque, this car with 19 inch wheels is much better at at ride quality and handling than the 750i with the factory 19 inch wheels on the 750i, which I upgraded to 21 inch to get better handling. Nevermind the 4 blown 21 inch tires I had to replace over !8,000 miles in 3 years.
Best of luck with your configuration.