My S580 STRANDED ME!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by crabman
Have they made Mercedes more accessible, or have they made a car with a Mercedes badge more accessible?

I'm going to be straight up here. I like this car, saying otherwise would be a lie. This is the part where everything after the but is what matters.... BUT... The only reason that I don't like some other car better is because no one is making it. If Porsche made an actual luxury car, no sport, pure luxury, I'm absolutely convinced it would be better in almost every way. We'd have better climate control, better wipers, better headlights, better shifting transmissions, a massive reduction in squeaks, suspension that didn't BANG over anything bigger than a modest bump, and on and on and on. Hell, even the kick to open the trunk works every single time on a Panamera. Every. Single. Time. Everything works. Every. Single. Time.

You don't have to go to a hypothetical though; right now a Toyota I rented recently shifted better than my S Class. Just like almost every car I rent. I adjusted the climate once in it and it didn't need to be touched again. Typical anymore but not in an S Class, you have to fool with it every drive. It's an example and I could go on in the same vein for quite a while but I don't want to bore.

A different hypothetical. If the new 7 didn't look like used toilet paper, I'd be over there.

Bottom line: Is it really a Mercedes experience that has been opened up to more people? Maybe. But only if the Mercedes experience is about being functionally outclassed in many respects by cars a fraction of its cost.

One of my Indies said that Porsche was the only car that hadn't cheapened their build quality. What do you think a Porsche version of the S Class would cost?

Last edited by MBNUT1; 07-15-2023 at 11:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
Bubba1 (07-16-2023), crabman (07-15-2023), Streamliner (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,101 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Have they made Mercedes more accessible, or have they made a car with a Mercedes badge more accessible?

I'm going to be straight up here. I like this car, saying otherwise would be a lie. This is the part where everything after the but is what matters.... BUT... The only reason that I don't like some other car better is because no one is making it. If Porsche made an actual luxury car, no sport, pure luxury, I'm absolutely convinced it would be better in almost every way. We'd have better climate control, better wipers, better headlights, better shifting transmissions, a massive reduction in squeaks, suspension that didn't BANG over anything bigger than a modest bump, and on and on and on. Hell, even the kick to open the trunk works every single time on a Panamera. Every. Single. Time. Everything works. Every. Single. Time.

You don't have to go to a hypothetical though; right now a Toyota I rented recently shifted better than my S Class. Just like almost every car I rent. I adjusted the climate once in it and it didn't need to be touched again. Typical anymore but not in an S Class, you have to fool with it every drive. It's an example and I could go on in the same vein for quite a while but I don't want to bore.

A different hypothetical. If the new 7 didn't look like used toilet paper, I'd be over there.

Bottom line: Is it really a Mercedes experience that has been opened up to more people? Maybe. But only if the Mercedes experience is about being functionally outclassed in many respects by cars a fraction of its cost.
You hit all the nails squarely on the head!

Thats what is just SO frustrating! How long has the world been using automatic transmissions? This is not rocket science, this is Auto Making 101: The transmissions should work perfectly ALL the time, period! Virtually every passenger vehicle produced today has a flawlessly operating automatic transmission—with the exception being many of those made by MB. And, it’s “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” as we are not supposed to notice! It’s a Mercedes-Benz, so it MUST be working correctly, right?

I have no source to back this up, it is just my opinion, but I believe a huge part of this is MB dealing with CAFE standards in the USA and the truly insane “green” requirements in Europe. Just so they can continue to offer the hugely profitable & gas guzzling AMG & Maybach vehicles, they need to microsqueeze every molecule of fuel mileage out of every other vehicle they produce, to the point of making their transmissions operate on a knife edge of reliability. The next time some clown goes roaring past you in his AMG GTR, remember that his fun in disturbing the peace is why your transmission doesn’t know which gear to choose.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
One of my Indies said that Porsche was the only car that hadn't cheapened their build quality. What do you think a Porsche version of the S Class would cost?
Substantially more, I'd expect 150 to 250 depending on options. They would of course offer a 'base' variant for 100 and a little change but it would be shocking in it's lack of features.

A few years in they'd have a special edition costing another 100 or so that you can't get because they're all sold to better customers. Lol
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 S500
Lexus made some poor decisions that essentially killed the LS. They stopped making V8s and they abandoned the core theme of what the LS was all about with the weird, edgy design, that i can only imagine was done to target “younger” buyers. If they would have just went back to the pure roots of what the original LS was all about, instead of trying to chase some imaginary younger buyer (which isn’t the audience of this car to begin with), they would be in a decent position right now with their flagship imo.

The Yukon Denali Ultimate is something that I like. I know it’s an entirely different class, but they’re surprisingly comfortable cruisers, that are a relative bargain compared to the S class.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
Quietride (07-16-2023), Streamliner (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(

Mercedes abandoned their standards years ago when they decided they want to be everything to everyone. Visions of MB product in every driveway caused dilution. It's no longer a Mercedes experience per se, but as you stated access to the badge. Cashing in on heritage. Mercedes is going after a newer generation of consumers that have no clue as to what proper luxury or quality even means or ever was.

As for Porsche, they still seem to be able to produce a high quality product with little if any flaws. Fewer product lines and not trying to be everything. Just keep refining what they do well and what got them where they are. Simple philosophy.
The following 3 users liked this post by places:
crabman (07-17-2023), MBNUT1 (07-16-2023), Streamliner (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 10:24 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Too many
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Lexus made some poor decisions that essentially killed the LS. They stopped making V8s and they abandoned the core theme of what the LS was all about with the weird, edgy design, that i can only imagine was done to target “younger” buyers. If they would have just went back to the pure roots of what the original LS was all about, instead of trying to chase some imaginary younger buyer (which isn’t the audience of this car to begin with), they would be in a decent position right now with their flagship imo.

The Yukon Denali Ultimate is something that I like. I know it’s an entirely different class, but they’re surprisingly comfortable cruisers, that are a relative bargain compared to the S class.
Funnily enough the 2018 LS was a 9/10 for Car & Driver. For most of us I'm sure it was more like a 4/10.

Reviewers do a great job of pushing car companies in stupid directions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quietride:
aypues (07-16-2023), Frenetic (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 06:31 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by Quietride
Funnily enough the 2018 LS was a 9/10 for Car & Driver. For most of us I'm sure it was more like a 4/10.

Most auto journalists prefer driver focused vehicles. Which is why I think it scored so highly. I enjoyed mine.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,617 Likes on 2,225 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Source for this statement?
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8747548
Old 07-18-2023, 07:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
The way I look at it, MB has royally screwed me now, TWICE! If they want me to give them another shot this time around, I want some guaranteed, sufficiently BIG incentive money, before I even attempt to work with a dealer. And, honestly, even as I write this, I don’t know what model I might go with. The idiotic door handles alone are enough to turn me off of every model that has them. The way the transmission in my S580 is behaving these days is really horrible to me. Do I chance getting another crummy one they won’t fix? I think I need to leave MB for a bit. That said, money talks, B.S. walks, so let’s see if they come up with anything acceptable.
I wonder if third times a charm applies... maybe.... perhaps....
Old 07-18-2023, 07:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SW20S
To be fair, I think they've stood behind their product for you pretty well, bought them both back etc. If you're not happy with the car though I wouldn't get another one and hope it would be different.
I guess also to be fair they are required to do so, by law, if they don't do it voluntarily, OP can hire a attorney to handle it and OP will most likely win so MB not only have to buyback the car at the end of the day, they will also have to pay for the lawyer fees, etc. (Although it is probably pocket change to MB... I guess).
Old 07-18-2023, 07:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yes and no. They COULD have fixed the transmission in my 2020, but they elected not to. That decision on their part, ended up costing me a lot of money and put me into a car I hate. If they had properly fixed my 2020, I'd be driving it today and probably would not have parted with it for many years.
Forgot to ask, how many dealerships did you go to to try to get it fixed?
Old 07-18-2023, 08:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by S_W222
Yes that was my thread when I had my previous pre-facelift W222 (S550). My vehicle was out of warranty by the way at that time, but it was still under the mandatory 3-months dealer pre-owned warranty

That's right too. It took a few weeks to a couple of months for me to navigate through all of this, I got MBUSA involved as I was not happy about the situation. They AKNOWLEGED that they as accorporate (and the german engineers) know about the issue but the solution will have to go through re-certification and EPA sort of regulatory type of process. German transmission design engineers where blaming software engineers, and the opposite was true. It was a mess. Being an out of warranty vehicle, The shop technician did a manual forced adaptation and adjustment of the shift points so that the 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd shifts are smooth again. Not sure if it has changed the vehicle emissions numbers, but all I cared about is to fix that nasty downshifting (as well as upshifting)

Not really. at least based on what I have seen in my previous W222 (S550), if what streamliner has been experiencing is the same, it is truly not just a normal downshift. I am serious when I say that from time to time, I thought I got rear-ended!. I swear that at least once a week, an event would occur once that the downshift is so bad that I would immediately stop and reakout looking at the rear mirror trying to find if someone rear-ended me. It is really that bad. Beside that happening once a week, the downshift is still rough, not sure I would call it fine, but for my wife it was probably just fine... But as someone who knows cars, I know that this is NOT how and S-class in particular should shift. And that rought down-shift that may suddenly happen when cruising around in parking lots and slowing down (aka: 3rd to 2nd gear) was really bad.

My current S560 shifts buttery smooth; but am shocked Mbenz has not fixed the shifting issues until this day as streamliner is not the only who reporting shifting problems. Mbenz engines are known to be the worst anyway.
Wait so am I understanding this right, German/Europe/Asian market W222s won't have to go through EPA and therefore won't have harsh downshifts?
Old 07-18-2023, 08:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Well, is it time for me to again say how I think MB is trying to do way too many things at the same time? Even though some models have been dropped, many more have been added and I can’t imagine how the dealers can handle the volume of servicing. I believe many—if not most— of the MB dealer service departments are the same size today as they were ten or even fifteen years ago, when there were far fewer models. So, they are constantly under the gun to get cars in and out, with almost no time left for in-depth diagnosis of serious problems, let alone difficult, time consuming repairs.

At the factory level, I believe many of the “old guard” employees who guided MB and built a company obsessed with quality, have retired. The younger generation has fully bought into the idea that vehicles should last for maybe five years and then be recycled, like washing machines. They are trying to be everything to everyone and in the process, are turning off many of their long time, very loyal customers, like ME! My feeling is that MB built the last vehicles that were of interest to me, prior to the 2021 model year.

Of course, as always, this is all my opinion and I certainly understand that others will disagree.
I could see that here as well, to put in to perspective my local dealership is booked 2.5 months apart, I seen worse is 3.5 months apart but it is currently hovering at 2.5-3 months apart.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Well they have audi... well not at the same level, then there is Bentley but that is a different pricing bracket. I get it then, Porsche is a Porsche.

Although a hit or miss with the trunk kick on MBs, I found their sensors work better if I do a reverse kick.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

You hit all the nails squarely on the head!

Thats what is just SO frustrating! How long has the world been using automatic transmissions? This is not rocket science, this is Auto Making 101: The transmissions should work perfectly ALL the time, period! Virtually every passenger vehicle produced today has a flawlessly operating automatic transmission—with the exception being many of those made by MB. And, it’s “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” as we are not supposed to notice! It’s a Mercedes-Benz, so it MUST be working correctly, right?

I have no source to back this up, it is just my opinion, but I believe a huge part of this is MB dealing with CAFE standards in the USA and the truly insane “green” requirements in Europe. Just so they can continue to offer the hugely profitable & gas guzzling AMG & Maybach vehicles, they need to microsqueeze every molecule of fuel mileage out of every other vehicle they produce, to the point of making their transmissions operate on a knife edge of reliability. The next time some clown goes roaring past you in his AMG GTR, remember that his fun in disturbing the peace is why your transmission doesn’t know which gear to choose.
If only they split those (AMG and Maybach) up with Mercedes-Benz passenger cars, like how they split Daimler Truck with Mercedes-Benz Passenger cars.

That does make me curious if it is the USA regs causing shifting issues, I am wondering if other markets' S-Classes are shifting smoothly?
Streamliner (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 08:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by places
Mercedes abandoned their standards years ago when they decided they want to be everything to everyone. Visions of MB product in every driveway caused dilution. It's no longer a Mercedes experience per se, but as you stated access to the badge. Cashing in on heritage. Mercedes is going after a newer generation of consumers that have no clue as to what proper luxury or quality even means or ever was.

As for Porsche, they still seem to be able to produce a high quality product with little if any flaws. Fewer product lines and not trying to be everything. Just keep refining what they do well and what got them where they are. Simple philosophy.
Speaking of heritage, people probably think that oh they invented the car they must be the best, right... they must have the most experience in developing automobiles to perfection right... or should they choose nothing..
Old 07-18-2023, 08:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

It also depends on who offers the most for the journalists/reviewers... ie. press trips, how many stars for the hotel? how were the meals?... you get the idea, it is hard to write an unbiased review when manufacturers go above and beyond to make sure the reviewer/journalist enjoy the experience... of the press trip not the car... you would had thought that instead they spent that time and money on R&D and all that effort in the product (and improvements) itself, it would be better?

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 07-18-2023 at 08:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
aypues (07-19-2023), Quietride (07-18-2023), Streamliner (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I guess also to be fair they are required to do so, by law, if they don't do it voluntarily, OP can hire a attorney to handle it and OP will most likely win so MB not only have to buyback the car at the end of the day, they will also have to pay for the lawyer fees, etc. (Although it is probably pocket change to MB... I guess).
a lot of carmakers REALLY fight this though
Quietride (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SW20S
a lot of carmakers REALLY fight this though
They could try it.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Forgot to ask, how many dealerships did you go to to try to get it fixed?
Only Fletcher Jones. I have found their service department to be second to none in my area. Mind you, I have never actually gotten a vehicle from them, but when other dealer service departments began letting me down, I tried them and have been thoroughly impressed, at least so far.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wonder if third times a charm applies... maybe.... perhaps....
IF they come across with some really great incentives, I may go for a new S500, GLE or GLS, or possibly a CPO S560, IF I can find one to my liking, which is just about impossible. I’m going to press the issue, as soon as Sedgwick gets back to me with their offer.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Too many
It also depends on who offers the most for the journalists/reviewers... ie. press trips, how many stars for the hotel? how were the meals?... you get the idea, it is hard to write an unbiased review when manufacturers go above and beyond to make sure the reviewer/journalist enjoy the experience... of the press trip not the car... you would had thought that instead they spent that time and money on R&D and all that effort in the product (and improvements) itself, it would be better?
Agreed. The journalists are 100% reliant on the car companies for income.

"Automakers spent more than $15 billion on advertising in 2018, according to Ad Age, and these nine award givers get cuts of that big pie: Automobile, Car and Driver, Edmunds, Green Car Journal, J.D. Power, KBB, MotorTrend, Popular Mechanics, and U.S. News & World Report all carry advertising from automakers."

https://www.checkbook.org/national/a...-Interest-7318

And we're supposed to trust these people despite the glaring conflict of interest? It's just insane.

MBNUT1 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is a very interesting article. Not being a really technical guy—but a reasonably practical & common sense type—I’ve always had similar thoughts on the whole EV thing. I’m all for “saving the planet,” but I believe the politics of it have caused a knee jerk reaction to the problems and we are now starting to experience some of the consequences.

In L.A.—a city where I was born & raised, where I built my business, that I will rarely venture into anymore because of the lawlessness—they have this “road diet” program, where they have taken some busy, major thoroughfares and devoted one lane to busses only and another for bicycles only, turning the one remaining lane into a virtual “no man’s land” for other vehicles. Businesses on those streets have been decimated, all in the name of what some feel is just SO environmentally responsible.

I think I’m staying with an ICE vehicle for now, maybe a hybrid. The whole environmental movement is just moving too quickly and too haphazardly for me right now. I believe there are potentially massive, unintended consequences with all of these batteries being manufactured.

hyperion667 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed. The journalists are 100% reliant on the car companies for income.

"Automakers spent more than $15 billion on advertising in 2018, according to Ad Age, and these nine award givers get cuts of that big pie: Automobile, Car and Driver, Edmunds, Green Car Journal, J.D. Power, KBB, MotorTrend, Popular Mechanics, and U.S. News & World Report all carry advertising from automakers."

https://www.checkbook.org/national/a...-Interest-7318

And we're supposed to trust these people despite the glaring conflict of interest? It's just insane.
Yep! I’m truly amazed when I read ANY negative comments on any brand vehicle. I was absolutely amazed when Motor Trend raked the Genesis GV80 over the coals for having a horrible ride quality. Then, Car & Driver says the GV80 is the THE best midsize, luxury SUV. Go figure.

P.S. By the way, look where the 2024 GLE ranks:

Last edited by Streamliner; 07-18-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Quietride (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 02:24 PM

Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts
S580
Have you looked at the Lexus LX 600? https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/lx-600...sumer-reviews/

Drone_S213 (07-18-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My S580 STRANDED ME!