Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2024 | 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Haven't driven one...
Old 10-16-2024 | 06:11 PM

W210 E55, BMW Individual 7
Originally Posted by Streamliner
WOW! Just tried it and it’s great. Thanks!
It’s the best! It’ll spoil you and make driving an ICE car feel “out of control” with the constant transitions from accelerator to brake.

on another note, I just picked up the i7 from service in order to get an inoperative rear tablet replace and the steering rack recall completed.

I couldn’t wait to get out of the i5 service loaner as fast as possible. Feels like at least 3 rungs separate the two cars with cheap plasticky interior materials and a choppy ride quality. An E feels much closer to an S Class compared to i5 vs i7.

Old 10-16-2024 | 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by S_W222
Almost** EVERY owner of an ICE car said the opposite, until the "owned' an EV long enough, then they realize how inferior ICE cars are.... I'd never ever consider an ICE car again for my daily, maybe a PHEV, but ICE drivetrains feel so boring and inferior to me now.

Balance is still needed though for most families, so in some cases some families may still need to stick with ICE for now especially if they have 1 car, but if I have 2+ cars, my daily must be an EV. I'd also take the EV on any highway trip as long as the range works, even if it's an "inferior" product luxury-wise like Tesla/Lucid/Rivian compared to another ICE Mbenz/BMW in my garage. You got the luxury option right there - if range was better, I'd get the i7 tomorrow instead of my Tesla but 400 miles epa is my absolute minimum before it becomes useless for any of our regular state-to-state road trips. Interior packaging and space is also superior in any EV. My Tesla Model S can hold more items and cargo than our X5 believe it or not, but surely not more than a GLS/X7. The ride is much more fun, and the full hands-free self-driving which is finally true self-driving now is becoming a priority for me over anything else.

Am VERY interested to hear your thoughts about the highway hands-free self-driving in your BMW. I loved it in our former X7 and have it on the X5 - not as good as Tesla in terms of making decisions, changing lanes and taking exists, and surely doesn't work on city roads like Tesla does, but works 100% of the times for straight highways.
I feel like I can weigh in here having just disposed of a 2022 Model S and Model X and currently owning an i7, EQS580, and EQE AMG.

The Tesla system was great until their latest law suit, which pushed constant monitoring. At that point it became unusable to me as the vehicle would punish you if you so much as went to scroll through your playlist on the central display. Once disengaged it requires a vehicle on off reset to engage which would become annoying on long drives.

BMW faces much of the same issues, looking at the iDrive display or responding to a quick text to bumper to bumper traffic quickly results in a driver distracted text and noise as well as a request to immediately grip the wheel.

The only system that’s truly usable in being a driver aid without being annoying is the Distronic Plus in the Benz's. Our EQS580 SUV has the hyper screen, which includes a driver eye camera allowing more hands free time than the normal display equipped EQE AMG. I also enjoy the capacity to intervene and provide input in the Mercedes, which would immediately disable the Tesla system and traffic jam assistant in the bmw.

The sad part is the Mercedes is poorest performing of the bunch in terms of lane keeping but the most usable because it actual decreases work load.

You can see the BMW system attached which has a cool overlay on the augmented reality in the instrument cluster.

Old 10-16-2024 | 06:28 PM

Regarding the ride quality of my I7, compared to my previous S Class sedans, I offer the following:

First of all, my I7 xDrive60, with 19” wheels, AWD, 4-wheel steering and the Autobahn Pkg., drives & rides completely different than any S Class I have ever driven. It drives like a BMW. I like it, but I much preferred the ride quality & handling of any of my three W222’s with 18” wheels & Magic Body Control. MBC had the ability to make speed bumps and other road imperfections all but completely disappear. The BMW doesn’t do that at all. MBC was not flawless and did not work like that each & every time, but it worked most of the time and it was very comfortable and very impressive.

My I7 stays virtually flat when going through curves—which is great—but the MBC cars—with the “Curve” setting engaged—leaned into the curves like a motorcycle, which I felt was more comfortable and more impressive.

I much prefer my I7 to the ride quality of my most recent, AirMatic equipped 2020 S560 or the AirMatic equipped W223’s I’ve driven. To say that the I7 drives & rides night & day better than my 2022 S580 with 19” wheels, 4-wheel steering & EABC is an understatement.

Since MB has dropped MBC, I feel that this I7 is as close as I can come in a new car to my W222’s that had it, without moving up to a new Rolls-Royce—which isn’t going to happen.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the 7-Series 19” wheels in the flesh. They look SO much better than on the online configurator. The same goes for the Mirror Oak High Gloss Trim. Much nicer in real life.

@Streamliner Have you considered replacing these questionable quality Yokohama’s with a set of Bridgestone Serenity tires? It may be the last bump needed in perfect ride quality.
Old 10-16-2024 | 08:49 PM

S 63
Would Streamliner be the type of person to go for the M760e xDrive if it was offered in the US?

I am still very much of the opinion that the i7 is inherently compromised, but I find the plug-in hybrid models very interesting.
Old 10-16-2024 | 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
Originally Posted by CSLA
It’s the best! It’ll spoil you and make driving an ICE car feel “out of control” with the constant transitions from accelerator to brake.

on another note, I just picked up the i7 from service in order to get an inoperative rear tablet replace and the steering rack recall completed.

I couldn’t wait to get out of the i5 service loaner as fast as possible. Feels like at least 3 rungs separate the two cars with cheap plasticky interior materials and a choppy ride quality. An E feels much closer to an S Class compared to i5 vs i7.

I didn’t know you had a Luxury model. Absolutely fabulous!
Old 10-16-2024 | 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Times Two
Would Streamliner be the type of person to go for the M760e xDrive if it was offered in the US?

I am still very much of the opinion that the i7 is inherently compromised, but I find the plug-in hybrid models very interesting.
If I get the opportunity some day, I’ll test drive one, but I am SO enamored with the full electric, it might not work for me.
Old 10-16-2024 | 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CSLA
@Streamliner Have you considered replacing these questionable quality Yokohama’s with a set of Bridgestone Serenity tires? It may be the last bump needed in perfect ride quality.
Yes, I was a bit taken aback seeing the Yokahamas. I hear so much about tires wearing out quickly on these very heavy cars, but I will probably just use them up and then change. I’m fine with them for now. I’m still in the honeymoon phase with this car.
Old 10-16-2024 | 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I am honestly curious how the ride is (obviously different price point) of a Maybach (V?)223, what kind of refinement MB made.
I would certainly hope that they gave some additional testing & refining time to the Maybachs. However, they still run on gas, which to me is absolutely unacceptable.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (10-17-2024)
Old 10-17-2024 | 03:35 AM

04 Lexus LS430
I would certainly hope that they gave some additional testing & refining time to the Maybachs. However, they still run on gas, which to me is absolutely unacceptable.
I remember seeing a Maybach mode for the air suspension in some review videos. I wonder how much of a difference it really makes over the standard models’ modes.
Old 10-17-2024 | 06:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by aypues
I remember seeing a Maybach mode for the air suspension in some review videos. I wonder how much of a difference it really makes over the standard models’ modes.
Yup that Maybach mode seem to make a difference, I saw several reviews from journalists on youtube claiming it does make a difference, the problem is, just like you asked, how much is the question. Maybach pure EV only comes in SUV form for now.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 10-17-2024 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (Yesterday)
Old 10-17-2024 | 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I wouldn't be taken aback by the Yokohamas, my S580 came on Hankooks lol. I'd take Yokohamas anyday.

I was very disappointed in the PHEV 7 and S Classes I drove, they just aren't as smooth and refined as the full V8 or the full EV models.
Old 10-17-2024 | 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I will say that I have had a very good driving experience with E-ABC in a W223 and would have wished for Streamliner to drive another one for comparison just in case his particular car had issues.
A comparison drive beats most diagnostics…
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
MBNUT1 (10-17-2024), Streamliner (10-17-2024)
Old 10-17-2024 | 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I will say that I have had a very good driving experience with E-ABC in a W223 and would have wished for Streamliner to drive another one for comparison just in case his particular car had issues.
A comparison drive beats most diagnostics…
I actually did drive two other S580’s with EABC. Unfortunately, both were equipped with 21” wheels and I was unable to make any definitive conclusions as to the ride quality compared to mine. In addition, I had my car into Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach no less than four times complaining about the EABC, only to be told that it was “operating as designed.”

If you may recall, I still had my 2020 S560 with MBC, 18” wheels & non-RFT when I got the S580. The ride quality between the two cars was staggering. The older car was “THE” best riding, best handling sedan I have ever driven. Honestly, it was like riding on a magic carpet. In hindsight, I never should have let them buy that car back. I should have found an independent shop that could modify the transmission shifting (doing so would have voided the factory warranty) and I’d probably still have that car today. Oh well.

Old 10-17-2024 | 01:34 PM

2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
@Streamliner Aside from E-ABC and MBC would you say your i7's suspension compares to ABC on your R231 SL as well as older R230 SL and W221 S?
Old 10-17-2024 | 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 5634MG
@Streamliner Aside from E-ABC and MBC would you say your i7's suspension compares to ABC on your R231 SL as well as older R230 SL and W221 S?
Hard to say. The SL being such a different type of car, but thinking about it, I would say that the I7 probably does ride more similar to my SL450 with ABC than like an MBC equipped W222.
Thanks for bringing up the SL. I'm a junkie with posting photos of it. If I just drove it more.

Old 10-17-2024 | 04:31 PM

S 63
Originally Posted by SW20S
I was very disappointed in the PHEV 7 and S Classes I drove, they just aren't as smooth and refined as the full V8 or the full EV models.
Interesting, I understand the W222 G11 left lots to be desired in terms of implementation, but I have seen lots of praise for the current plug-in hybrid powertrains in the M760e xDrive, S 580e, and S 63e Performance (I felt it was worth mentioning even if I know you have no interest in the AMG lineup).
Old 10-17-2024 | 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
They were great in EV mode but once in ICE mode not as great.
Old Yesterday | 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One of the very impressive features of my I7, is the optional Automatic Doors, a feature that should have been standard equipment on the W223 from day one, but to this day is only available on the rear doors of the Maybach sedan, as far as I know. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

To enter the car, stand a bit to the rear of the door and simply press a button in the area of the door handle. The door pops open, then opens wide, if there are no obstructions in its path. If there is an obstruction, such as another vehicle or garage wall, the door will open to no more than approximately 6” from the obstruction. You can then manually pull the door open wider if you desire and it HOLDS there, which is a wonderful touch—thinking of how my legs would get clobbered every now & then by the “Gorilla Door” of my S580. Was that our friend Mr. Crabman who coined the “Gorilla Door” term?

After entering the car, simply depress the brake pedal and the door closes. I will say that the door closes with a bit of a slam, which I find just a bit less than luxurious, but the feature is so helpful that it’s no big deal.

To open the door from the inside, push the button on the door or one to the far left of the steering column at the end of the faceted light bar. You can also open & close all four doors at once, although I don’t see myself ever using that feature. I also believe you can open & close the doors using the key fob or your phone, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Even though I always carry a key fob with me, the car automatically locks & unlocks with the close proximity of my iPhone.

So far, other than my windshield issue—for which the car goes to the dealer on Monday—no complaints and I’m loving the no shifting, electric drive experience!

Old Yesterday | 10:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

One of the very impressive features of my I7, is the optional Automatic Doors, a feature that should have been standard equipment on the W223 from day one, but to this day is only available on the rear doors of the Maybach sedan, as far as I know. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

To enter the car, stand a bit to the rear of the door and simply press a button in the area of the door handle. The door pops open, then opens wide, if there are no obstructions in its path. If there is an obstruction, such as another vehicle or garage wall, the door will open to no more than approximately 6” from the obstruction. You can then manually pull the door open wider if you desire and it HOLDS there, which is a wonderful touch—thinking of how my legs would get clobbered every now & then by the “Gorilla Door” of my S580. Was that our friend Mr. Crabman who coined the “Gorilla Door” term?

After entering the car, simply depress the brake pedal and the door closes. I will say that the door closes with a bit of a slam, which I find just a bit less than luxurious, but the feature is so helpful that it’s no big deal.

To open the door from the inside, push the button on the door or one to the far left of the steering column at the end of the faceted light bar. You can also open & close all four doors at once, although I don’t see myself ever using that feature. I also believe you can open & close the doors using the key fob or your phone, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Even though I always carry a key fob with me, the car automatically locks & unlocks with the close proximity of my iPhone.

So far, other than my windshield issue—for which the car goes to the dealer on Monday—no complaints and I’m loving the no shifting, electric drive experience!
Hmmm, are there soft close doors on this one?
Old Yesterday | 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I actually find the power doors annoying, personally...
Old Yesterday | 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, are there soft close doors on this one?
Yes, but they appear to be overridden when the automatic close is used.
Old Yesterday | 12:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SW20S
I actually find the power doors annoying, personally...
Guess you can turn them off, good to have options I guess.
Old Yesterday | 12:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Yes, but they appear to be overridden when the automatic close is used.
Hmmm, I wonder if there is a reason behind that decision and/or a software update can change that behaviour.
Old Yesterday | 12:34 PM

2022 S580
One of the most frustrating things about my 2022 S580 is the doors. They are indeed Gorilla doors and have been programmed to injure us owners and our passengers. I can't count the number of times my door has hit me or I can't reach it to close it after Im seated in the car. It doesn't stay in place and has a sadistic mind of its own. This is a serious fundamental flaw and shows a thorough lack of attention to detail by MB.

The optional Automatic Doors on your I7 sound like a dream! I would pay big bucks for that option!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I drove a new BMW I7 and…….