S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

I drove a new BMW I7 and…….

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2024 | 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by SW20S
Not sure where you are reading that, I post on BimmerPost in the G70 forums also:
Here you are selectively taking the only comment that hinted it worked, while all other evidences say that it didn't... hunting for the only user that said it worked isn't an approach I'd personally count on (though he still said. "reduced" but didn't claim it was fully fixed).

I copy pasted your sentence to see where it came from and I think I found the thread:
In the same thread, another one said "I had gaskets replaced and I didn't notice any difference in wind noise. I'm thinking its coming from somewhere else and they are working on an actual fix." .
One other user: "Took vehicle in, they drove and compared it with another i7 and said the wind noise was the same"
Another "First thing i noticed while driving my new 24 740 was the wind noise from driver side. So yes it is there"

There are more evidences that rather suggest this being a real issue. I had a 2022 X7 that I rejected on the day of delivery for this same issue. Dealer spent 4 weeks trying all different things to fix it, trying two difference SIBs, and nothing worked. This not new for BMW honestly and I have first hand experience with it with all my car and one car that I rejected. I doubt that the new 7-series would be any different. Just surprised that it has been years now and BMW can't get it right. The best car as far as wind noise insulation I have is the X5, but still less than ideal compared to W222 (not talking about cabin quietness, but wind noise).
Old 02-13-2024 | 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
AFAIK he's the only person who has reported back that the actual repair was done, previous people had dealers attempt other repairs but they weren't the full repair, the official SIB was released in December it looks like. I'm not saying there isn't an issue, I'm saying there is now a repair from BMW and the ones I drove didn't have any kind of unusual wind noise. They were in fact better insulated from wind noise than my W222.

I'm not "selectively" choosing anything, I don't have this car I have no horse in this race, just relaying my experience.
Old 02-13-2024 | 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
I hope it was truly fixed. I like the i7 as a car, at least cabin wise.

One of the posts I copied above are from Jan and at least one or more of the other posts are also related to that SIB in particular.

All my BMWs have really good wind noise insulation in a normal day at 70-80 MPH. The issue is on a windy day, they fail miserably compared to my W222.

Last edited by S_W222; 02-13-2024 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2024 | 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
A high profile vehicle like an SUV will always have more wind noise on a windy day than a sedan, the real test would be to compare an X7 to a GLS etc.
Old 02-13-2024 | 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
A high profile vehicle like an SUV will always have more wind noise on a windy day than a sedan, the real test would be to compare an X7 to a GLS etc.
GLS is better despite the limited time I spent with a GLS on highways, but generally speaking all BMWs have this issue including my 5-series. Owners of the current G11/G12 also complained a lot about wind noise.to the fact that nobody cares about it anymore (it's just too common that most people including myself would accept it as is). My next large-luxury sedan might be the BMW B7 or M760 G11 one day if I gave up on the W223 once I see the facelift. Am afraid the G11 would feel too old by then though. Most owners recommended the M760 as the engine is more reliable, but the B7 is more appealing to me. The new i7 is good, and even if the exterior goes on me, the range doesn't work at all for my trips. The G70 V8 doesn't make sense as then I'll hate the look, with no benefits at all on the drivetrain side. The next 2-4 years might be the most boring years I've had in the last 10 years : )
Old 02-16-2024 | 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by crabman
I went in for my second 2500 dollar windshield yesterday and decided to walk down to the BMW dealer while I waited. It's a small dealership, maybe 70-80 cars on the lot; I'd say more than a third of those were EVs. The salesman came up saying good discounts were to be had on EVs on the lot; he went on to say this was becasue BMW wanted the dealership to discount them to get more people interested in the new tech. I'm figuring it's more likely they aren't moving very well, and they floored too many, but I'm a bit of a cynic about such things. In any event, all the 7s were EV, all had the black interior, all but one was black with a white car rounding out the exterior options. All but one was fairly loaded. I didn't go for a test drive; no chance I would buy one. I find the quality a bit of a push compared to the S class. Things feel more solid but don't look as nice. The infotainment can be laggy in some areas which is a pet peeve of mine.

I don't see myself in one; I still detest the front styling and I'm ambivalent about the interior. I didn't feel any itches to pull the trigger unlike the M8 Gran Coupe which it turns out is ridiculously fast and really pegged my hootometer.
The M8 ticked my boxes on the interior, exterior, performance and quality side. They are solid cars, fun to drive and haven't been hit with the ugly stick
I also feel that the iDrive 8+ system is a user interface mess compared to the older iDrive 7 in the M8. Apple CarPlay is also a mess. We are having an iX right now and that wireless CarPlay randomly disconnects, disappears and reappears all while the music continues playing...

The following users liked this post:
Drone_S213 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I also feel that the iDrive 8+ system is a user interface mess compared to the older iDrive 7 in the M8. Apple CarPlay is also a mess. We are having an iX right now and that wireless CarPlay randomly disconnects, disappears and reappears all while the music continues playing...
Yes, all BMWs including ID8 Apple Carplay disconnects as you pass a very specification locations with signal interference. You'd notice that almost always happens same locations most of the time, and for those living in big cities and it can happen quite a lot. This is still an on-going issue until now with ID8 and ID8.5. My wife's X5 is having this issue and we've had the same exact problem in her previous X5. I gave up years ago on fixing it, BMW claims it's an iPhone issue that needs to be fixed so that it's compatible with BMW wireless tech (stupid I know). Looks like it doesn't happen that often or even at all with Android.

I agree that the ID7 is way better than ID8. ID8.5 is a slight improvement though as far as the UI (your iX should be compatible with it it, I believe, for MY24). ID8 to ID8.5 can be done via a OTA for cars with the newer hardware (April 2023 SOP and after for most trims), but NOT all ID8 vehicles can upgrade from ID8 to ID8.5 especially those built before 4/2023.
Old 02-16-2024 | 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
.......... Apple CarPlay is also a mess. We are having an iX right now and that wireless CarPlay randomly disconnects, disappears and reappears all while the music continues playing...
Sounds similar to how it worked in my S580.
Old 02-16-2024 | 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I'm Android Auto if anything, so the iPhone integration isn't a concern for me.

The M8 gave me something to think about. There is some serious fun factor there, but it's sprung tightly, and you notice the jiggle. The seating position is not as low as a Panamera which is helpful for an old man, but obviously lower than this one. Didn't even think to check the tunes; it had the B&W which I have read is not too bad. Overall, I've been itching to get back into something that actually feels like driving a car; love the lux factor here but I think they went too far with the isolation. I suppose I should have said went too far for my taste...

Old 02-16-2024 | 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The M8 ticked my boxes on the interior, exterior, performance and quality side. They are solid cars, fun to drive and haven't been hit with the ugly stick
this is a rare interior… I mean wow. Never even realized it existed but I’ve never shopped for an M8.

Last edited by S_W222; 02-17-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2024 | 10:44 PM

Had nothing but trouble with Apple Carplay in 6 cars, from 4 different brands and 3 iPhones. Aesthetically it looks weird in the dash and reliance on it feels like a cop-out. I'm 37 and not a luddite at all.
I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I like to hop in and drive, not troubleshoot devices. Thinking back, the most reliable was a rented Kia Niro EV that worked without issue for a week.

Still digging the looks of the i7s that I see on the street. Maybe we'll snag one for 75% off after a few years, or most likely the next gen.

It is interesting that BMW is using gas platforms for the current i4/5/7 after creating the revolutionary i3 10 years ago. Granted, many ground-up EV platforms are far from perfect so maybe it has proven to be more beneficial. BMW seems to be the best with NVH among all the EVs.
Old 02-16-2024 | 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I really don't have the problem with android. In fact I had to use root to remove android auto because it was too good at hooking up to the car every single time I got in, and it's not the first time I've had that problem with a car. In this car if you have the heads-up it's a stellar navigating experience even if the routing isn't the best, and otherwise it all works pretty well. For me Android auto is my go to when the stock infotainment isn't working as well, but MBUX does quite a decent job. Not sure what I'm going to do if I move over to BMV, I'll give the infotainment a fair shake and make up my mind after.
Old 02-17-2024 | 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The M8 gave me something to think about. There is some serious fun factor there, but it's sprung tightly, and you notice the jiggle ....... but I think they went too far with the isolation. ...
How cramp and right is the Grand Coupe? Is it better than the Couple, or is it just tight all together (height and dashboard) distance wise? Also what did u mean by "went too far with the isolation"? I always liked the M8 but never liked the dashboard as it looked cheap with most trims. The Ivory and Tartifo interior as in Wolfman's photo helps to make the dashboard look much much nicer though. The reason I've never considered them is that until last year they were way over-priced. Now u can easily find a fully loaded one based on my search for low 70s high 60s for those in the 30-45K miles range and 2020-2021 model year.
Old 02-17-2024 | 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I think they made this car a little too numb; you expect isolation in a luxury vehicle, but they are past that. Steering goes beyond ease and feel is nonexistent; there is no reason for that. The car responds poorly to throttle inputs and while smooth is good, something should happen when you push the loud pedal, even in comfort.

The Gran Coupe is much bigger in the rear making the seats actual seats instead of a place to set grocery bags. My usual methodolgy when checking rear seat comfort is to adjust the front seat exactly as I want it and then get in back. While nothing like the S class it's good enough that I could ride back there for some time without discomfort. Wouldn't want to go long distance but it would be fine for kids and the occasional adults going across town. In the coupe my head touches the roof and a have to splay my legs apart with the calves just barely fitting into the space behind the front seat. The GC is the clear winner for those that need a back seat.

To me the space in front felt the same between the two, but I didn't have much time and there may be a difference an owner of one or the other would notice. Both feel cockpit like compared to the S Class.

Like many cars/brands (I'm looking particularly at you Porsche) the interior really benefits when you get the full leather. Without it, I got the feeling of a finishing that's below the price point; that goes away with the full leather.

If there's a performance difference, I couldn't feel it in car. One thing that is felt is both are a little nervous going down the road but the GC feels slightly less so; could be that extra wheelbase or tuning with that.

Tidbits... you've got the coupe doors on the one which means your left elbow has a place to rest, but you know how those are in tight parking spots for ingress/egress. On the other, your elbow has to be offset forward a little or hang in space. It's a thing taller people notice. To my eye both are fetching but the coupe is the more handsome car.

I'd go Gran Coupe without a second thought for the added utility and because I thought it felt slightly more composed going down the road, but otherwise had the same hooligan factor. They are stiffly suspended and to give that scale the Panamera is stiffer in it's most comfortable setting than the S580 is in sport plus and the M8 is significantly stiffer than the Panamera. It's a very different car from what we're driving here.
S_W222 (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024 | 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

I think they made this car a little too numb; you expect isolation in a luxury vehicle, but they are past that. Steering goes beyond ease and feel is nonexistent; there is no reason for that. The car responds poorly to throttle inputs and while smooth is good, something should happen when you push the loud pedal, even in comfort.

The Gran Coupe is much bigger in the rear making the seats actual seats instead of a place to set grocery bags. My usual methodolgy when checking rear seat comfort is to adjust the front seat exactly as I want it and then get in back. While nothing like the S class it's good enough that I could ride back there for some time without discomfort. Wouldn't want to go long distance but it would be fine for kids and the occasional adults going across town. In the coupe my head touches the roof and a have to splay my legs apart with the calves just barely fitting into the space behind the front seat. The GC is the clear winner for those that need a back seat.

To me the space in front felt the same between the two, but I didn't have much time and there may be a difference an owner of one or the other would notice. Both feel cockpit like compared to the S Class.

Like many cars/brands (I'm looking particularly at you Porsche) the interior really benefits when you get the full leather. Without it, I got the feeling of a finishing that's below the price point; that goes away with the full leather.

If there's a performance difference, I couldn't feel it in car. One thing that is felt is both are a little nervous going down the road but the GC feels slightly less so; could be that extra wheelbase or tuning with that.

Tidbits... you've got the coupe doors on the one which means your left elbow has a place to rest, but you know how those are in tight parking spots for ingress/egress. On the other, your elbow has to be offset forward a little or hang in space. It's a thing taller people notice. To my eye both are fetching but the coupe is the more handsome car.

I'd go Gran Coupe without a second thought for the added utility and because I thought it felt slightly more composed going down the road, but otherwise had the same hooligan factor. They are stiffly suspended and to give that scale the Panamera is stiffer in it's most comfortable setting than the S580 is in sport plus and the M8 is significantly stiffer than the Panamera. It's a very different car from what we're driving here.
The Gran Coup to me is the lesser car. Doesn't look as good, a bit heavier but more or less the same car. Opposite to you, I feel the coupe drives a bit better. We had the M8 Comp Gran Coupe in Germany so we had the chance to push it a bit.
I wish there would be more sound in the cabin as well and later model years have neutered the exhaust, which makes it worst. That's the same on AMG's as well though. OPF and noise pollution regulations
As for most M-Cars unless everything is set to it's sporty settings besides the suspension (S3, Sports Plus Engine, Sport Steering, Comfort Suspension, DSC OFF 4WD) you don't get enough out of it., We lowered ours with adjustable springs.

You are correct on the Porsche interiors. I was hoping the updated Taycans would get any interior changes but they look pedestrian inside at any price.
Old 02-17-2024 | 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is very useful. I would if you have any experience that you could share about the Alpina B8. Sorry for hijacking the thread though.
Old 02-17-2024 | 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
The Gran Coup to me is the lesser car. Doesn't look as good, a bit heavier but more or less the same car. Opposite to you, I feel the coupe drives a bit better. We had the M8 Comp Gran Coupe in Germany so we had the chance to push it a bit.
I wish there would be more sound in the cabin as well and later model years have neutered the exhaust, which makes it worst. That's the same on AMG's as well though. OPF and noise pollution regulations
As for most M-Cars unless everything is set to it's sporty settings besides the suspension (S3, Sports Plus Engine, Sport Steering, Comfort Suspension, DSC OFF 4WD) you don't get enough out of it., We lowered ours with adjustable springs.

You are correct on the Porsche interiors. I was hoping the updated Taycans would get any interior changes but they look pedestrian inside at any price.
Fair enough; this would also be a good time to say I didn't drive either hard but I could easily believe the coupe is better when pushed, I've no way to know.

The weight does nothing to sway me, the GC slots between the coupe and the vert and they all go north of 2 tons and feel heavy although I say this having never drove the vert; with it being the heaviest of the bunch I'm assuming with it.

I forgot about the exhaust, it's but the most stirring I've heard; I could see myself making a change there.

I've not driven the Alpina.
S_W222 (02-17-2024)
Old 02-18-2024 | 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(

I think the GC is in no mans land, looks good for the first few days but thats all. I think I'd get tired of it fast. Feels like a heavy box too.

We picked up a M8 convertible and absolutely love it. Build quality is stellar and it has the looks.
Old 02-18-2024 | 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
You're aware the vert is heavier than the GC, right?
Old 02-18-2024 | 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Wolfman I’ll hijack this thread one last time, am curious about your thoughts of the M8 vs the B8?
Old 02-18-2024 | 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
You're aware the vert is heavier than the GC, right?
Didn’t say it wasn’t heavier just that to me the GC feels like a heavy box.
Old 02-18-2024 | 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Huh, don't know what to make of that but, fair enough. I didn't get that impression between the coupe and GC, I thought the GC was a little less fidgety but slight differences like leave me wondering if the reviews I had perused/watched saying so led me to it or it's a real thing. In any event I felt they were very close sitting in the seat and driving down the road. As I said I haven't taken the vert out but my expectation is that it would be more similar that not; usually with a vert the most noticeable difference is cowl shake and that sort of thing.
places (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024 | 12:29 PM
Veteran: Air Force

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Time is running out

Originally Posted by places
I think the GC is in no mans land, looks good for the first few days but thats all. I think I'd get tired of it fast. Feels like a heavy box too.

We picked up a M8 convertible and absolutely love it. Build quality is stellar and it has the looks.
Cruised Reston Town Center two months ago with the Top Down with old roommate in his $128K Spec 2023 M850i. Got the thumbs up from all the Delivery Drivers and RTC Security Teams. The Pedestrians ducked and covered when they heard the exuberant pops and bangs from the Dravit Grey "Tiger" droptop with the 50th Anniversary Roundel.

If something happened to my two V8s in my Garage tonight would use the Insurance money and pickup an 8-series and Porsche Cayenne S Coupe with V8s SOFORT!

Can't just rely on one V8 in the stable like the $200K Cayenne Coupe Turbo GT...need backups before the end of times.
Old 02-18-2024 | 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Originally Posted by places
Didn’t say it wasn’t heavier just that to me the GC feels like a heavy box.
Of course the 8's are porkers but the drive dynamics hide it quite well. This car is quite fast on the track. The faster you go, the better it gets. But physics can't be completely overcome by electronics. That said, it's a complete lightweight vs many MB's or AMG's these days.
They are also quick. Still beats any AMG AFAIK. While BMW can easily be faulted for having similar interior layouts, they are very well build cars.
Old 02-18-2024 | 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Quietride
Had nothing but trouble with Apple Carplay in 6 cars, from 4 different brands and 3 iPhones. Aesthetically it looks weird in the dash and reliance on it feels like a cop-out. I'm 37 and not a luddite at all.
I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I like to hop in and drive, not troubleshoot devices. Thinking back, the most reliable was a rented Kia Niro EV that worked without issue for a week.

Still digging the looks of the i7s that I see on the street. Maybe we'll snag one for 75% off after a few years, or most likely the next gen.

It is interesting that BMW is using gas platforms for the current i4/5/7 after creating the revolutionary i3 10 years ago. Granted, many ground-up EV platforms are far from perfect so maybe it has proven to be more beneficial. BMW seems to be the best with NVH among all the EVs.
Ive never had any issues with CarPlay in any of the cars I have had it in, even the aftermarket system I had in my LS460L had some quirks but they weren’t a big deal. It’s 100% just hop in and drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I drove a new BMW I7 and…….