S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

You can no longer code W223. From now.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2023 | 07:01 PM
TSA

S580 MAYBACH Z223
You can no longer code W223. From now.

Yeah you heard it right. No longer coding for w223.

If you ask how or why?

let me answer those questions very quick.

now the coders in CHINA used to rent a certain engineers account in order to code w223 - z223 - w206 and more vehicles with CONTINENTAL substructure

now the guy which gets them to use his - her account is now kicked out of the MB.

So the Chinese would no longer get to code the new vehicles with an engineers account + VPN.

this is a big thing because , the Chinese used the engineers account to code the new features , retrofitted parts and extra.

It’s end of an era.

why you need an engineers account to code an w223?

- you need ZENZEFI certificate first

- second you would need an account with certain user role to make differences to the vehicle like put in 3d cluster and code it.

- third is because when you do something that your car is not meant to be doing that the RAMSES module with communicate with the Mercedes servers and get your changes reverted back to normal.

if you have more questions feel free to ask.
Old 09-15-2023 | 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Would like to know who is the Chinese vendor anyway. I don't recall we ever had a Chinese vendor here or at least a referral to code W223.

Anyway, long story short, no, people can still code W223 apparently. I think there are 2-3 resources published on this forum for MBUX to do W223 coding all of which are still in business, and non of them to my knowledge is from China anyway. I called my neighbor who I introduced to a W223 coder a couple months ago to do ILS to see if his coder is still alive, he didn't even need to check because interestingly enough he said that he just had additional stuff coded on his W223 last night for the side amber-to-white light (photo below). I also posted when I got my W222 coded for ILS.

Last edited by S_W222; 09-15-2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2023 | 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Where does this info come from?
The following users liked this post:
S_W222 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023 | 05:57 AM
TSA

S580 MAYBACH Z223
Originally Posted by ygmn
Where does this info come from?
It got leaked. Most of the people still doesn’t know.
Old 09-16-2023 | 06:00 AM
TSA

S580 MAYBACH Z223
Originally Posted by S_W222
Would like to know who is the Chinese vendor anyway. I don't recall we ever had a Chinese vendor here or at least a referral to code W223.

Anyway, long story short, no, people can still code W223 apparently. I think there are 2-3 resources published on this forum for MBUX to do W223 coding all of which are still in business, and non of them to my knowledge is from China anyway. I called my neighbor who I introduced to a W223 coder a couple months ago to do ILS to see if his coder is still alive, he didn't even need to check because interestingly enough he said that he just had additional stuff coded on his W223 last night for the side amber-to-white light (photo below). I also posted when I got my W222 coded for ILS.
coding 222 is pretty basic. Not complicated as the new vehicles.

China is the number one and also Singapore.

Don’t get your W223 coded unless you want to void your warranty.

the technician can check the logs and mark your car as red .
Old 09-16-2023 | 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
This isn't true about the ol red mark in the US. Federal law does not allow a car warranty to be fully voided unless certain criteria are met; ODO tampering, salvage, modifications so great as to change the intended purpose, a couple others but none will apply here. Even if you modify engine controls you would only be facing a possible drivetrain warranty loss, the rest of the car would remain under warranty. None of that is for our benefit, billions of dollars were on the line for all the fine vendors we buy goodies from and the MM act was created with "industry input."

I pursued an action against Chrysler to the bitter end on a truck I was using to haul a bass boat; so I've followed this process to its end. That is not forum talk, that's real world, went to a courtroom, what actually happens.
S_W222 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023 | 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by crabman
This isn't true about the ol red mark in the US. Federal law does not allow a car warranty to be fully voided unless certain criteria are met; ODO tampering, salvage, modifications so great as to change the intended purpose, a couple others but none will apply here. Even if you modify engine controls you would only be facing a possible drivetrain warranty loss, the rest of the car would remain under warranty. None of that is for our benefit, billions of dollars were on the line for all the fine vendors we buy goodies from and the MM act was created with "industry input."

I pursued an action against Chrysler to the bitter end on a truck I was using to haul a bass boat; so I've followed this process to its end. That is not forum talk, that's real world, went to a courtroom, what actually happens.
I 100% agree with you too. That OP statement was not true, at least not in the US. I already spoke with my BMW dealer a year ago when I did coding on my X7, and they have no say whatsoever nor the interest to disappoint their clients that way for that reason (plus they would lose a legal battle if they ever do anyway, in the US). The service advisor himself does code his car!. I had similar conversation with my Mbenz advisor a few months ago, he had no idea what am talking about nor that he knows what coding is, lol!. There is a difference between "tuning" your engine and then coming for a blown engine warranty claim, vs changing your lights side color or coding intelligent lighting, etc. If anyone would think that coding is not allowed, then not a single coder on the planet is allowed to code W221 or W222, or any Mbenz either. Yet, we have not seen one single incident on earth wherein one person got issues with his warranty even for W223. We can all assume that W223 keeps records but that's your right anyway to access your car via any machine anytime anywhere, there may be tracking of access records but so what? I bet several folks did coding and already went to service, we haven't heard any issues from anyone. I feel this thread may have something behind it, and my personal opinion includes misinformation, yet with no convincing evidence or reference as to any claim. Not sure what the objective is.

Last edited by S_W222; 09-16-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2023 | 12:18 PM

W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
This is happening in the USA on individual state levels as well...

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...mplemente.html

Even phones are getting into the action recently...

https://www.androidauthority.com/cal...r-act-3364340/

S_W222 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023 | 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Where people run into trouble is when they forget the law they knew in kindergarten; possession is 9/10s. We are not in possession of our warranties, nor is the dealership, the manufacturer who ultimately holds your warranty in its possession and gives it over to you on a limited case by case basis.

If you have a major failure or a failure of any tagged part, the dealer cannot order parts or get paid for labor on a repair without a manufacturer rep coming in and authorizing it. That rep does not sell cars, he's there to guard the gates. Say you lose a cylinder and your car is tuned; they will check your software. If you've turned on your matrix lighting, you're going to be ok, increased boost, you've got problems.

To go back to possession; you've got to remember where this may leave you. When that rep says no, the answer is no. Jumping up and down while shouting about how you know the law won't change the fact that you are not in possession of your warranty. If it's an expensive repair, few will be good enough customers to get a dealer to foot the bill. It's out of pocket or staying broke until the end of what may be a long process. The process itself varies by state and all that would be far beyond what I learned in my encounter.

Conceptually, everyone should understand the idea that they are not in control of their warranty. The dealer does not possess your warranty and is a warranty station authorized to act independently in a limited capacity for the manufacturers behalf. The manufacturer is in possession of your warranty for any practical purpose and they can say no. When they do it doesn't make them right, but if you want a different answer you've got a bit of work in front of you.

You should probably also know that while the MM act does provide for the ability to ask for costs you may not get them, you can ask, they're not guaranteed.

This post has gone long enough but common sense needs to be applied. No one is going to check if you disabled start/stop when a power mirror dies. Blow that crappy transmission and you bet they're going to check. If you've added power, could get ugly. Enabled a geo-fenced feature like the lights, you shouldn't have a problem. Like anything else, eyes open, be aware of consequences.
Old 09-16-2023 | 01:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by TSA

If you ask how or why?

now the coders in CHINA used to rent a certain engineers account in order to code w223 - z223 - w206 and more vehicles with CONTINENTAL substructure

now the guy which gets them to use his - her account is now kicked out of the MB.

So the Chinese would no longer get to code the new vehicles with an engineers account + VPN.

this is a big thing because , the Chinese used the engineers account to code the new features , retrofitted parts and extra.

It’s end of an era.

- second you would need an account with certain user role to make differences to the vehicle like put in 3d cluster and code it.

- third is because when you do something that your car is not meant to be doing that the RAMSES module with communicate with the Mercedes servers and get your changes reverted back to normal.

Hmmm, I wonder how MB finally found out and closed this backdoor.
Old 09-16-2023 | 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where people run into trouble is when they forget the law they knew in kindergarten; possession is 9/10s. We are not in possession of our warranties, nor is the dealership, the manufacturer who ultimately holds your warranty in its possession and gives it over to you on a limited case by case basis.

If you have a major failure or a failure of any tagged part, the dealer cannot order parts or get paid for labor on a repair without a manufacturer rep coming in and authorizing it. That rep does not sell cars, he's there to guard the gates. Say you lose a cylinder and your car is tuned; they will check your software. If you've turned on your matrix lighting, you're going to be ok, increased boost, you've got problems.

To go back to possession; you've got to remember where this may leave you. When that rep says no, the answer is no. Jumping up and down while shouting about how you know the law won't change the fact that you are not in possession of your warranty. If it's an expensive repair, few will be good enough customers to get a dealer to foot the bill. It's out of pocket or staying broke until the end of what may be a long process. The process itself varies by state and all that would be far beyond what I learned in my encounter.

Conceptually, everyone should understand the idea that they are not in control of their warranty. The dealer does not possess your warranty and is a warranty station authorized to act independently in a limited capacity for the manufacturers behalf. The manufacturer is in possession of your warranty for any practical purpose and they can say no. When they do it doesn't make them right, but if you want a different answer you've got a bit of work in front of you.

You should probably also know that while the MM act does provide for the ability to ask for costs you may not get them, you can ask, they're not guaranteed.

This post has gone long enough but common sense needs to be applied. No one is going to check if you disabled start/stop when a power mirror dies. Blow that crappy transmission and you bet they're going to check. If you've added power, could get ugly. Enabled a geo-fenced feature like the lights, you shouldn't have a problem. Like anything else, eyes open, be aware of consequences.
Exactly that. The main takeaway for me, has always been, that the dealer has just as much interest as all of us in keeping our warranties and not causing any problems. Valid warranty, means the dealer also gets paid by the manufacturer without the need to to negotiate with (potentially) a broken client who might end up taking his car to an indy shop to save cost. More warranties, means more "guaranteed' repair work for the dealership. The dealership would get the same negative consequences if your car ever gets out of warranty, because he is no longer guaranteed to be the one to service your car and get paid by the manufacturer for it. Just keep that in mind. This is one particular reason why in most cases, when they can, the dealership will do their best to keep you happy and have a claim accepted on your behalf. The dealer is not the one who pays for your warranty... they get paid paid because you have it, hence they have no interest whatsoever to make your life miserable (or as claimed above, search for historical access).. Agreed with the fact that nobody is going check if you disabled start/stop when a power mirror dies or go for a casual warranty repair, exactly for the same previous reason. However, again, tuning your engine for added HP, and then stopping at the dealer for a blown engine, well of course that is a different story warranty wise, even though I've seen some BMWs with tuned engines getting warranty engine done after removing the tune, though I would not do it. I have always coded or hired someone to code all my cars... btu would never go all the way up to engine tuning unless my car is out of warranty. Coding? all day long, 14 yeas doing that with ZERO issues, including instances of discussing features I encoded with the service advisor sometimes.

Last edited by S_W222; 09-16-2023 at 01:43 PM.
crabman (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023 | 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
This is probably a subject for a different thread as far as warranty goes. I only interjected because the OP stated warranties could be voided for coding making it fair game; that's an unqualified statement that is usually going to be factually incorrect. I would have done the same if he had said you can just say "MM act" and they'll agree they were wrong and pay for everything because they have no choice now that you uttered the words. Different side of the coin but also way off base.
S_W222 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023 | 09:17 PM

Exactly that. The main takeaway for me, has always been, that the dealer has just as much interest as all of us in keeping our warranties and not causing any problems. Valid warranty, means the dealer also gets paid by the manufacturer without the need to to negotiate with (potentially) a broken client who might end up taking his car to an indy shop to save cost. More warranties, means more "guaranteed' repair work for the dealership. The dealership would get the same negative consequences if your car ever gets out of warranty, because he is no longer guaranteed to be the one to service your car and get paid by the manufacturer for it. Just keep that in mind. This is one particular reason why in most cases, when they can, the dealership will do their best to keep you happy and have a claim accepted on your behalf. The dealer is not the one who pays for your warranty... they get paid paid because you have it, hence they have no interest whatsoever to make your life miserable (or as claimed above, search for historical access).. Agreed with the fact that nobody is going check if you disabled start/stop when a power mirror dies or go for a casual warranty repair, exactly for the same previous reason. However, again, tuning your engine for added HP, and then stopping at the dealer for a blown engine, well of course that is a different story warranty wise, even though I've seen some BMWs with tuned engines getting warranty engine done after removing the tune, though I would not do it. I have always coded or hired someone to code all my cars... btu would never go all the way up to engine tuning unless my car is out of warranty. Coding? all day long, 14 yeas doing that with ZERO issues, including instances of discussing features I encoded with the service advisor sometimes.
Same here. I've had warranty and service work done since coding ILS+ on my w223 and no issues whatsoever. Frankly I don't think the service guys have ANY CLUE about anything. 99% of the time for the last 20 years I've been teaching them about their vehicles
S_W222 (09-17-2023)
Old 09-16-2023 | 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Yeah, I'm not aware of a single case of someone missing warranty coverage after coding basic features. Not just in the RL, I've never read a credible report on the forums.

Last edited by crabman; 09-16-2023 at 10:15 PM.
S_W222 (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023 | 04:18 AM
TSA

S580 MAYBACH Z223
I 100% agree with you too. That OP statement was not true, at least not in the US. I already spoke with my BMW dealer a year ago when I did coding on my X7, and they have no say whatsoever nor the interest to disappoint their clients that way for that reason (plus they would lose a legal battle if they ever do anyway, in the US). The service advisor himself does code his car!. I had similar conversation with my Mbenz advisor a few months ago, he had no idea what am talking about nor that he knows what coding is, lol!. There is a difference between "tuning" your engine and then coming for a blown engine warranty claim, vs changing your lights side color or coding intelligent lighting, etc. If anyone would think that coding is not allowed, then not a single coder on the planet is allowed to code W221 or W222, or any Mbenz either. Yet, we have not seen one single incident on earth wherein one person got issues with his warranty even for W223. We can all assume that W223 keeps records but that's your right anyway to access your car via any machine anytime anywhere, there may be tracking of access records but so what? I bet several folks did coding and already went to service, we haven't heard any issues from anyone. I feel this thread may have something behind it, and my personal opinion includes misinformation, yet with no convincing evidence or reference as to any claim. Not sure what the objective is.
BMW don’t give attention to those stuff like coding , ext.

but for Mercedes it’s much more different.

I’m not an American so I really don’t know how the thing goes in America. But that’s a thing that Mercedes does. It’s already in action in Europe.

for America , it’s like apple. Software locked hardware a like.
Old 09-17-2023 | 04:20 AM
TSA

S580 MAYBACH Z223
Originally Posted by DoctorDash
Same here. I've had warranty and service work done since coding ILS+ on my w223 and no issues whatsoever. Frankly I don't think the service guys have ANY CLUE about anything. 99% of the time for the last 20 years I've been teaching them about their vehicles
thats sketchy.
Old 09-17-2023 | 09:20 AM

E63amg
Delete this thread.
completely false and OP sounds full of BS.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nbxjskamg:
QuadBenz (09-17-2023), S_W222 (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023 | 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nbxjskamg
Delete this thread.
completely false and OP sounds full of BS.
I have the same opinion though I always respect all opinions; however, this thread appears to be a BS and I suspect there is more behind it. In my view, it's disturbing and if anything shares a lot of misinformation.
QuadBenz (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023 | 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Never know, maybe something has come up and we're all going to be surprised. I'm doubtful but always open to new information. The warranty denial thing is another story; there is a lot of false information on the forums about it such as he posted here and debunking it is worthwhile.

I'm strongly against burning books no matter what I think of them.
Old 09-17-2023 | 01:03 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by TSA

If you ask how or why?

It’s end of an era.

This is totally accurate and true and those asian licences are banned one by one, yes
I have been telling everyone long time ago about the dangers getting your W223 coded with non US licences, the traces it leaves and problems you will get.
It is totally irresponsible to do this
There is nothing to discuss. It's a fact
The prices of a US licences are to high right now, and security not met.

period

Last edited by BenzNinja; 09-26-2023 at 04:06 AM.
TSA (09-21-2023)
Old 09-18-2023 | 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Never know, maybe something has come up and we're all going to be surprised. I'm doubtful but always open to new information. The warranty denial thing is another story; there is a lot of false information on the forums about it such as he posted here and debunking it is worthwhile.

I'm strongly against burning books no matter what I think of them.
For reference, most of our members are in the US and enjoy strong consumer protections and car warranties unavailable elsewhere. Lemon laws are unheard of in many countries and even class actions suits result in pennies on the Dollar vs the US. Just check on victims of the VW Dieselgate in Germany and their compensation vs the US.

Until today, Mercedes new car warranty in Germany is a measly 2 years albeit with unlimited mileage.
Point is that other countries in the rest of the world can have more restrictive warranty and service coverages, especially if cars cross borders permanently or even temporarily.
crabman (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023 | 01:28 PM

997.2TTS
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
This is totally accurate and true and those asian licences are banned one by one, yes
I have been telling everyone long time ago about the dangers getting your W223 coded with non US licences, the traces it leaves and problems you will get.
It is totally irresponsible to do this
There is nothing to discuss. It's a fact
The prices of a US licences are to high right now, and security not met.

period
@BenzNinja so r u able to do it?? or same applies to u too? i'm still looking for ILS+ on my US model.
Old 09-18-2023 | 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Originally Posted by Wolfman
For reference, most of our members are in the US and enjoy strong consumer protections and car warranties unavailable elsewhere. Lemon laws are unheard of in many countries and even class actions suits result in pennies on the Dollar vs the US. Just check on victims of the VW Dieselgate in Germany and their compensation vs the US.

Until today, Mercedes new car warranty in Germany is a measly 2 years albeit with unlimited mileage.
Point is that other countries in the rest of the world can have more restrictive warranty and service coverages, especially if cars cross borders permanently or even temporarily.
My first words on the subject: "This isn't true about the ol red mark in the US..."
Old 09-18-2023 | 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
My first words on the subject: "This isn't true about the ol red mark in the US..."
I know; just used your post to reply to as there are several warranty comments and few think outside the US
Definitely have seen threads where repairs were denied in the UK, etc. that would be complete no-brainers in the US (aka absolutely covered) and I can easily see random warranty denials even in EMEA countries. The burden is often on the customer, even without mods of any kind.

Come to think of it I even remember an BMW M5 engine repair issue that was denied because the owner didn't do the initial 1200 mile or so oil change due to COVID and had it done at a later date at 2200 miles. Engine was shot in less than 6000 miles. I think it got sorted eventually but involved a lot of effort.

Last edited by Wolfman; 09-18-2023 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2023 | 05:02 PM

2006 E500
Originally Posted by TSA
No longer coding .
what is coding?
an entire thread not seeing anywhere describing what this even means.
help

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: You can no longer code W223. From now.