S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Ordered a new car today…………

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 03:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’ve thought about it, but I just cannot imagine the Macan EV being all that comfortable. That said, I will try to test drive one.

Today, I give back my EQS450 4-Matic SUV and pick up my S560. I’m still impressed with the SUV. It comes SO close and could easily be SO much better. Why they didn’t offer customers the REALLY great options like Exclusive Nappa, 4D High End audio and—dare I say—a fabulous suspension option like MBC, who knows? I guess that as far as EV’s have come in just the last two or three years, they really are still in their “childhood,” if not in their infancy. I can’t help but believe we are in for amazingly incredible automotive innovations in the very near future—and they will be ELECTRIFYING!
Hmmm, do they offer it in the EQS 580 (SUV)?
Old 04-23-2024, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,586 Likes on 2,050 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, do they offer it in the EQS 580 (SUV)?
No and as I understand it, no even in the Maybach EQS SUV.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Well, on February 24th, I started this thread and today, April 23rd, I actually placed the order. Filled out the credit app, gave them a deposit and now, as my old friend LovinMercedes once said: "THE WAIT BEGINS!" Thanks to everyone here who helped me finally make this decision with your very helpful comments and suggestions.

I went for the BMW I7 xDrive60. "Luxury" look. Space Silver with Black, Full Marino Leather, Autobahn Pkg., Diamond audio and virtually every option except the theater screen and all the rear seat options. And, if you have to ask, 19" wheels.

I'd like to give a shout to member CSLA for turning me onto a couple of local dealer sales people who really quoted some decent numbers. I might have been able to do a bit better, but the place I went with is reasonably convenient and they were very upfront to deal with. As a side note, I tried to order this car from the dealer that is within walking distance of my office and they REFUSED to order the car, even before we talked numbers. The GM told me, face to face, that my build was "UGLY," and that if I did not take it, they would "NEVER" be able to sell it. In all my years buying new cars, this is an all time first. Oh well, I'm at a point where I really like the looks of this car!

The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
aypues (04-23-2024), Ormond2004 (04-24-2024), QuadBenz (04-24-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Well, on February 24th, I started this thread and today, April 23rd, I actually placed the order. Filled out the credit app, gave them a deposit and now, as my old friend LovinMercedes once said: "THE WAIT BEGINS!" Thanks to everyone here who helped me finally make this decision with your very helpful comments and suggestions.

I went for the BMW I7 xDrive60. "Luxury" look. Space Silver with Black, Full Marino Leather, Autobahn Pkg., Diamond audio and virtually every option except the theater screen and all the rear seat options. And, if you have to ask, 19" wheels.
Congrats! When do they anticipate you will take delivery? Have they given you any info about the Level 2 charger install? They should provide the charger and install it in your garage at their expense.

The GM told me, face to face, that my build was "UGLY," and that if I did not take it, they would "NEVER" be able to sell it. In all my years buying new cars, this is an all time first. Oh well, I'm at a point where I really like the looks of this car!
What a jackass. Seriously, having been in sales for my whole adult life I cannot imagine ever saying anything like that to a customer. Wow.

Looks great! Thats not Space Silver though, that is Oxide Grey.

THIS is Space Silver:

I like both colors.

I am also very close to placing an order. Going back and forth between something very similar to your build, or M Sport in Carbon Black. The M Sport has really grown on me:

The only thing holding me back is that I still really love my S560...but if I'm going to get something new this is the time to do it...

Last edited by SW20S; 04-23-2024 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:57 PM

Received 158 Likes on 126 Posts
AMG
"The GM told me, face to face, that my build was "UGLY," and that if I did not take it, they would "NEVER" be able to sell it. In all my years buying new cars, this is an all time first. Oh well, I'm at a point where I really like the looks of this car!"
I know at least one guy whose wife had refused to keep it in their garage as it was the first time she's seen it. So I guess he knows stories....
Old 04-23-2024, 09:12 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
'15 E350, '20 S560
Like the TV pitch says: “It’s your money, spend it the way you want to.”
Old 04-23-2024, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry Hanna
Like the TV pitch says: “It’s your money, spend it the way you want to.”
Did you ever get a W222 with MBC? Just curious.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 606 Likes on 400 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460

I'd like to give a shout to member CSLA for turning me onto a couple of local dealer sales people who really quoted some decent numbers. I might have been able to do a bit better, but the place I went with is reasonably convenient and they were very upfront to deal with. As a side note, I tried to order this car from the dealer that is within walking distance of my office and they REFUSED to order the car, even before we talked numbers. The GM told me, face to face, that my build was "UGLY," and that if I did not take it, they would "NEVER" be able to sell it. In all my years buying new cars, this is an all time first. Oh well, I'm at a point where I really like the looks of this car!
Congrats @Streamliner . Wow.. what happened to the interior, screens and vents that you felt were a deal breaker? Just kidding... Honestly that's exactly the only way I'd consider the i7.... The xDrive60 with all options, except that I'd probably get some rear seat goodies and certainly M-Sport exterior not Luxury. I assume you also ordered the Autobahn package? Please tell us you didn't forget about that : )

As for the GM refusing to order one for you cause it looks ugly, no offense, but I think he did the right thing. Your build isn't that ugly, but somewhat ugly lol and I agree that it can be hard to sell because the car itself is hard to sell anyway. He might felt some hesitation on your end and didn't want your business, which is still a shame though. You canceled one order with this same dealer already once, so it's 1-1 between the two of you. You turned him down once, and he did it once. Whatever... Enjoy the next chapter for now.... Looking forward to your 6-months 5K miles review : )
The following 2 users liked this post by S_W222:
retiredandhappy (04-25-2024), Streamliner (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:16 PM

Received 350 Likes on 241 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by S_W222
Congrats @Streamliner . Wow.. what happened to the interior, screens and vents that you felt were a deal breaker? Just kidding... Honestly that's exactly the only way I'd consider the i7.... The xDrive60 with all options, except that I'd probably get some rear seat goodies and certainly M-Sport exterior not Luxury. I assume you also ordered the Autobahn package? Please tell us you didn't forget about that : )

As for the GM refusing to order one for you cause it looks ugly, no offense, but I think he did the right thing. Your build isn't that ugly, but somewhat ugly lol and I agree that it can be hard to sell because the car itself is hard to sell anyway. He might felt some hesitation on your end and didn't want your business, which is still a shame though. You canceled one order with this same dealer already once, so it's 1-1 between the two of you. You turned him down once, and he did it once. Whatever... Enjoy the next chapter for now.... Looking forward to your 6-months 5K miles review : )
Keeping theme with what I keep reading and asking in all the threads, please name the dealers, good or bad and save us all some time, money, and frustrations. These should not be secrets we only share by private message while watching tons of our forums friends get the shaft.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:46 PM

'15 E350, '20 S560
No, I found a W222 with absolutely everything including MBC and 2,400 miles. But it was a chain-smokers car and that just wasn’t ever going to work for me. It would have been perfect for you except for that fact and it was also black. I did find a car and Ironically it was from California, crazy to think my search would lead me to a car 2,000 miles away. Perhaps trying to draw me back to my home state. Reagan and I left at the same time and it hasn’t been the same since.

Also, the 2020 W222 as the last of the series has once again confirmed my comfort in the last of a series build. Good wishes with your BMW, I’ll never forget the day that my neighbor added a 3.0 CSI to his collection of a DeTomaso Pantera and a V12 Jaguar XKE. Tough guy to keep up with. That BMW California Special was epic, even in that company.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by S_W222

Is the I7 my dream car? No. That said, I believe it is the best I can do, within a reasonable budget, right now. I want to go electric and don’t care for the EQS models. The new Audi looks like it will be too swoopy. Porsches are probably too performance oriented. The new Genesis GV90 looks interesting, but it’s not here yet. Same for the Range Rover EV. My current S560 is a great car, but after having 5 S sedans that were loaded as I wanted them, my current car just isn’t cutting it for me. So, after eliminating other possible choices, I was left with my original one, the BMW. I’ll just learn to live with some of the things I don’t care for and hope all the positives way outweigh the negatives. Hoping to get it in about four months.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Ormond2004 (04-24-2024), QuadBenz (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
I think it's just possible you may find some love for the 7, not saying it's going to displace your brand, but if you're open to the experience you might find yourself liking it, if just a smidge. What's certain is, at the very least, many would love to have our troubles.

In other news I don't know if any of you have been tracking this one, but it's an interesting review in that his summation gives a kind of framework, maybe he right word is perspective, of the EV market right now.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Since you posted a video on this car, saw this one today so might as well share it:
crabman (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Interesting tidbits in this one that relates to many of the topics we've been covering. I remember when some people were swearing up and down that Mercedes would soon be converted over to EV and nothing would slow it down. Reality begs to differ...

https://www.thestreet.com/electric-v...-with-its-evs-
Old 04-25-2024, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 392 Likes on 268 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Reality is calling Mercedes executives and it says they're incompetent. EVs is where all the growth is. Just look at the numbers:

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...2023-ev-sales/

In 2023, the EV share of the total U.S. vehicle market was 7.6%, according to Kelley Blue Book estimates. That is up from 5.9% in 2022.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Sure it's where the growth is, but there was no alternative, was there? Dealers are loaded with EVs that can't sell anytime soon and the problem is escalating.

As to the lofty goals and legislation; they were never going to make their goals, it was a practical impossibility considering the infrastructure and materials shortfall. Of course you also have the money issue which needs to be solved before you actually build that infrastructure.

In any event those incompetent MB execs have plenty of company because essentially everyone who isn't 100% BEV is walking their talk back. They have no choice because those goals will not be met.

It's not that they didn't know this day was coming; they did. But you got a lot of the development covered by taxpayers and that's a win, right?

We'll eventually get there, not to worry, but the route doesn't go through fantasy land.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:41 AM

'15 E350, '20 S560
And one of the huge issues is the shortage of techs trained and capable of repairing these ever more complex vehicles. It always seemed to me that some techs had a “feel” for electrical systems and some did not, no matter how much we spent on training. Perhaps now, with the younger generation growing up with computers, we’ll stand a fighting chance.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
G63, S580
Nevertheless, so glad we can still drive and enjoy the ICE ones.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:05 AM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
W210 E55, BMW Individual 7

Congratulations Stream! Wow I knew Sterling BMW would be a piece of work to deal with but not letting you order a car?! I’d report that sort of communication to the BMW customer assistance hotline. It’ll get back to the area management team.

Did you add the 356 comfort laminated glass as well?

I agree with your comparison of the EQS suspension to i7. It has a perception of riding great, however it falls down when encountering deep sharp bumps at low speed. The i7 is magical in comparison.

I have the impractical grey/blue manufaktur interior you were speaking of and had to buy black all weather mats at delivery. Hopefully it holds up although the extended leather really transforms the EQS SUV interior.

Glad I could be of assistance! Switching to a BMW will be a great palate cleanser this round and will let you see each manufactures strengths. I’m really loving the car and it has the most comfortable seats I’ve ever been in.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:15 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
2014 S63 2010 ML350 Bluetec 2009 SL550
Yikes that 7's nose is ...hideous.

I loved my e38 and even now, the design still looks fresh. BMW lost their way in the Bangle era and never found their way back to taut driver-focused cars imho.

At least you cant see the nose from the driver's seat....

:-)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CSLA
Congratulations Stream! Wow I knew Sterling BMW would be a piece of work to deal with but not letting you order a car?! I’d report that sort of communication to the BMW customer assistance hotline. It’ll get back to the area management team.

Did you add the 356 comfort laminated glass as well?

I agree with your comparison of the EQS suspension to i7. It has a perception of riding great, however it falls down when encountering deep sharp bumps at low speed. The i7 is magical in comparison.

I have the impractical grey/blue manufaktur interior you were speaking of and had to buy black all weather mats at delivery. Hopefully it holds up although the extended leather really transforms the EQS SUV interior.

Glad I could be of assistance! Switching to a BMW will be a great palate cleanser this round and will let you see each manufactures strengths. I’m really loving the car and it has the most comfortable seats I’ve ever been in.
Yes, I got the Climate Comfort Glass, again thanks to you. I know it’s only April, but have you experienced any excessive heat coming through the glass roof, as some G70 owners have complained about? Why BMW doesn’t provide a heavier sunshade, as MB does, is beyond me. As for the dealer down the street, I don’t want to get on their bad side, as I may need their service department. Thanks again for your assistance in helping me navigate the unfamiliar BMW dealership game. It is much appreciated.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TripleDown
Yikes that 7's nose is ...hideous.

I loved my e38 and even now, the design still looks fresh. BMW lost their way in the Bangle era and never found their way back to taut driver-focused cars imho.

At least you cant see the nose from the driver's seat....

:-)
Exactly my INITIAL thoughts, but I have, very honestly, come to actually like the lines of the new 7, it just took some time. I’m even coming around to liking the M-Sport design, but I still prefer the Luxury styling I chose. All that said, with the I7, for me, it is ALL about how comfortable and quiet the ride is. It is absolutely intoxicating!

The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
crabman (04-26-2024), QuadBenz (04-26-2024), SW20S (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 01:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0beeb2d50f.jpg
Congrats! Glad to hear that you finally got a car that you spec how you liked it. Looking forward to the delivery and hearing your impressions, enjoy the car especially having to go through the ordeal at MB, enjoy in good health. Looks like you found light at the other side, the "dark side". Follow that light and enjoy the vehicle.
Streamliner (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 702 Likes on 440 Posts
2023 S500
Congrats on your new car. Please give us your thoughts after you had a chance to drive it.

Streamliner (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 606 Likes on 400 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Yes, I got the Climate Comfort Glass, again thanks to you. I know it’s only April, but have you experienced any excessive heat coming through the glass roof, as some G70 owners have complained about? Why BMW doesn’t provide a heavier sunshade, as MB does, is beyond me. As for the dealer down the street, I don’t want to get on their bad side, as I may need their service department. Thanks again for your assistance in helping me navigate the unfamiliar BMW dealership game. It is much appreciated.
I would not tint the sunroof, and that's why I did for both of my current BMWs. I am not quite sure about the new 7 specifically, but all other BMWs with the "Sky Lounge" (aka built-in LED in glass) sunroof had issues with tinting. For some reason tint seems to cause extra heat stress within the glass that would then crack. BMW are notorious for sunroof crack issues anyway, and you will find a good number of reports specifically on vehicle with the Sky Lounge package after a couple of years for each gen on forums (cracks on it's own, and mostly the tinted ones). So I'd think twice before adding ting to the sunroof. That is the same reason that both of my BMWs with the Sky Lounge are tinted everywhere except the sunroof (where I actually found myself need it the most). Luckily both have an automatic retractable liner, but I prefer to enjoy some lights if I can reflect the heat. If I order another BMW, I'd remove the Sky Lounge option only so I can tint the sunroof without cracking issues (but in most cases the Sky Lounge is bundles with other package).

Last edited by S_W222; 04-26-2024 at 10:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordered a new car today…………