S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

More of a beta tester than an S580 owner.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 11:31 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 S580 Exec., 2017 E43 P3
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Unreal! How will they ever put that thing back together without introducing rattles and squeaks, what was the reason why they have to replace the motor mounts and transmission mounts already/this soon/early. Car is still essentially new?
I'll tell you what...when these photos were taken, it was very shocking at how modular everything was. The engine, transmission, front subframe, etc. came out as a single unit and had very few connections to the car. It looked like with 8-10 beers and a great set of Snap-On tools, one could disconnect the driveline, brakes, suspension, and a few electrical connections and the whole thing was ready to come out. This gave me a bit of hope that it could/will go back into the chassis cleanly. I did request that any potential extra parts be supplied to me in a ziplock bag at the end, however. :-)

Last edited by ArcticSilver; 07-25-2024 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typos
The following 3 users liked this post by ArcticSilver:
Fried Chicken (Today), MBNUT1 (07-25-2024), NbyNW (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,603 Likes on 2,213 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
I'll tell you what...when these photos were taken, it was very shocking at how modular everything was. The engine, transmission, front subframe, etc. came out as a single unit and had very few connections to the car. It looked like with 8-10 beers and a great set of Snap-On tools, one could disconnect the driveline, brakes, suspension, and a few electrical connections and the whole thing was ready to come out. This gave me a bit of hope that it could/will go back into the chassis cleanly. I did request that any potential extra parts be supplied to me in a ziplock bag at the end, however. :-)
Oof, do you mind posting the work order for us to see with personal information redacted of course : )

Good sense of humour, truly sorry you have to go through all of this, can't believe you can still be remain so calm, I would had lost my cool way a while ago.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 07-25-2024 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2024, 12:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

On this service visit they found the motor mounts to be leaking as a result of my report that the car had a bad vibration which was noticeable mostly at idle. Previously the car had been in for the same multiple times. One previous visit the transmission mounts were replaced when the vibration was only felt when the car was in reverse. This repair helped for a while. Other visits I got the "cannot duplicate" response upon picking the car up.
Yikes, those mounts are clearly defective from factory.
Old 07-25-2024, 01:12 PM

Oof, do you mind posting the work order for us to see with personal information redacted of course : )

Good sense of humour, truly sorry you have to go through all of this, can't believe you can still be remain so calm, I would had lost my cool way a while ago.
Sure, I'll share once I have it at the end of this service visit. Getting upset would be easy but doesn't help anything. Just have to push forward and handle the challenge. 💪🏻

The following 3 users liked this post by ArcticSilver:
MBNUT1 (07-25-2024), NbyNW (07-25-2024), RJC (07-26-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 03:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Sure, I'll share once I have it at the end of this service visit. Getting upset would be easy but doesn't help anything. Just have to push forward and handle the challenge. 💪🏻
Just hope things work out in your favour OP.
The following users liked this post:
ArcticSilver (07-25-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,758 Likes on 1,764 Posts
2024 S580
Seriously, hats off to you for keeping a good perspective!
Old 07-26-2024, 07:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
Persistence pays...keep up the good fight and hope it all works out!
Streamliner (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 07:43 AM

Received 241 Likes on 150 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Thank you. I'm in Las Vegas, NV. The law says that the claim must be made within the first 18 months from delivery. I'm outside of that window.
Your lawyer probably already knows the details, but I think there is a separate federal law that may have different parameters thus giving you a case.
Streamliner (07-27-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 09:44 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
I'm at several multiples of the 30-day mark.
Have you officially initiated the LL process?
Streamliner (07-28-2024)
Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM

Update:

I got the car back. The dealer managed to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, and for now, the car is running well.

While the car was in for service (31 days this time), I started the buy-back request process, which MBUSA has denied, stating that their review indicates my vehicle doesn’t qualify for a buy-back or relief under Nevada law statutes. They did, however, offer a "goodwill gesture" of two months of car payments.

I responded that while I’m not outright rejecting their offer, I don’t feel it adequately addresses the larger issues I’ve experienced with this car, especially considering my history with the brand, having purchased more than a dozen vehicles over the past 30 years. I received another call from MBUSA a week later in which they repeated their stance: no buy-back, but they stand by the two-month payment offer.

I’ve handed the situation over to my attorney and am waiting for his take on the matter. What strikes me as interesting is that the two-month payment offer was made immediately, without any meaningful discussion with me to learn about the car’s issues, my history with the brand, or hearing me out as a consumer. Despite my detailed appeal, MBUSA dismissed it and stuck to their original offer. They said that my dissatisfaction with the car and their decision "have been noted." Lovely.

To me, their quick response and gesture might suggest they sense some liability and are trying to resolve the issue cheaply. If they truly believed they had no risk, would they have made that offer right away?
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

Received 170 Likes on 141 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Unreal! How will they ever put that thing back together without introducing rattles and squeaks, what was the reason why they have to replace the motor mounts and transmission mounts already/this soon/early. Car is still essentially new?
Mercedes cars come apart and go back together better than any other vehicle I've worked on. It's like nobody was ever even in there.
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM

2005 S500 Designo
Update:

I got the car back. The dealer managed to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, and for now, the car is running well.

While the car was in for service (31 days this time)
[snip]
They did, however, offer a "goodwill gesture" of two months of car payments.

[snip] [snip]

To me, their quick response and gesture might suggest they sense some liability and are trying to resolve the issue cheaply. If they truly believed they had no risk, would they have made that offer right away?
I mean, you didn't have the car for a month so they offer 1 month of car payments, and for all your trouble, another month of car payments... I assume you had a loaner?
Seems.... reasonable?

Of course in attorney-land logic and common sense are replaced by outrage on the off chance it works
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Fried Chicken
Mercedes cars come apart and go back together better than any other vehicle I've worked on. It's like nobody was ever even in there.
Mechanically, it might be fine. However I specifically mentioned the rattles, for what it is worth I have friends with issues that had to have the whole dash taken out but then rattles started appearing and they never were able to figure out which piece was causing the noise.

That said, I am not sure what MB you had been working on (I am all for hearing success stories of DIYing), the W223 is the most technologically advanced version of their car so the complexity and the chances of something going wrong is high when they do major surgeries like these. It also depends on who was doing the work. In the past, technicians are passionate about cars and take pride of their work, now they are here for the pay cheque. Not saying everyone is like that though.

​​​​​For what it is worth, the highly trained technicians from personal experience and my friend's experience are not what they seem but again this depends on the dealership. I had many encounters of repairs not done right and/or messing up something else in the process.
ArcticSilver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I mean, you didn't have the car for a month so they offer 1 month of car payments, and for all your trouble, another month of car payments... I assume you had a loaner?
Seems.... reasonable?

Of course in attorney-land logic and common sense are replaced by outrage on the off chance it works
I agree, I don’t think this is an unreasonable offer, and I would imagine the quick offer is because he is such a longtime customer. I wouldn’t automatically assume it’s nefarious intent on their part.

Accepting the offer doesn’t preclude him from demanding a buyback if he has further issues.
ArcticSilver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

2005 S500 Designo
Mechanically, it might be fine. However I specifically mentioned the rattles, for what it is worth I have friends with issues that had to have the whole dash taken out but then rattles started appearing and they never were able to figure out which piece was causing the noise.

That said, I am not sure what MB you had been working on (I am all for hearing success stories of DIYing), the W223 is the most technologically advanced version of their car so the complexity and the chances of something going wrong is high when they do major surgeries like these. It also depends on who was doing the work. In the past, technicians are passionate about cars and take pride of their work, now they are here for the pay cheque. Not saying everyone is like that though.

​​​​​For what it is worth, the highly trained technicians from personal experience and my friend's experience are not what they seem but again this depends on the dealership. I had many encounters of repairs not done right and/or messing up something else in the process.
That's what I mean though... when I work on the mercedes, when I take something apart and put it back together, it's like new again. No evidence someone was in there in the form of broken clips, inexplicable rattles, squeaks, gaps, etc. The cars are tangibly designed to be worked on.

The complexity you're describing is mostly software/electrical. The whole point of asinine touchscreens and displays is the reduction of physical complexity...

Of course that doesn't translate to the engines, where the european carmakers have gone off the rails in terms of complexity.
carlosinseattle (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

That's what I mean though... when I work on the mercedes, when I take something apart and put it back together, it's like new again. No evidence someone was in there in the form of broken clips, inexplicable rattles, squeaks, gaps, etc. The cars are tangibly designed to be worked on.

The complexity you're describing is mostly software/electrical. The whole point of asinine touchscreens and displays is the reduction of physical complexity...

Of course that doesn't translate to the engines, where the european carmakers have gone off the rails in terms of complexity.
Well, I understand the European overengineered part engine wise what I meant in terms of more complexity was for example was for the additional complexity from the 48V mild hybrid system. The ISG and stuff.

As for the putting things back together I was just stating my experience and my friend's experience. Dealerships (well not all of course, luck of the draw I guess but so far 3 here in Canada) can't put a dashboard back on properly, this that OP went through was basically that but on steroids.

I agree MBs are not that hard to work with in general, my indie prefers working on MB than BMW.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; Yesterday at 11:12 AM.
ArcticSilver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Received 241 Likes on 150 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Update:

I started the buy-back request process, which MBUSA has denied, stating that their review indicates my vehicle doesn’t qualify for a buy-back or relief under Nevada law statutes.
As someone who has gone through the lemon law process, my lawyer told me that the manufacturer is not in the business of buying back cars. You will have to fight them tooth and nail, and the process will take a long time. They will delay and stonewall in every way imaginable.
ArcticSilver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 442 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Update:

While the car was in for service (31 days this time), I started the buy-back request process, which MBUSA has denied, stating that their review indicates my vehicle doesn’t qualify for a buy-back or relief under Nevada law statutes. They did, however, offer a "goodwill gesture" of two months of car payments.

I responded that while I’m not outright rejecting their offer, I don’t feel it adequately addresses the larger issues I’ve experienced with this car, especially considering my history with the brand, having purchased more than a dozen vehicles over the past 30 years. I received another call from MBUSA a week later in which they repeated their stance: no buy-back, but they stand by the two-month payment offer.

I’ve handed the situation over to my attorney and am waiting for his take on the matter. What strikes me as interesting is that the two-month payment offer was made immediately, without any meaningful discussion with me to learn about the car’s issues, my history with the brand, or hearing me out as a consumer. Despite my detailed appeal, MBUSA dismissed it and stuck to their original offer. They said that my dissatisfaction with the car and their decision "have been noted." Lovely.

Honestly it sounds like a reasonable offer for now. Despite what has been said above, I'd still check with your attorney to make sure that accepting that offer doesn't prevent you from still pursuing a buyback down the road (or immediately right now). If the issue hasn't met the Nevada buy-back law, I'd just accept the offer and see if the car is now fixed. Wish you best of luck with all of this; Thanks for sharing your story here am sure it will help others learn how to navigate issues like these down the road. Am so grateful I never had to go through issues like these, but reading stories like these helps a lot educationally.
The following 4 users liked this post by S_W222:
ArcticSilver (Yesterday), carlosinseattle (Yesterday), crabman (Yesterday), SW20S (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,117 Likes on 705 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Don't forget to vote with your wallet.
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
ArcticSilver (Yesterday), Streamliner (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 748 Likes on 468 Posts
2023 S500
Update:

Notice any changes or imperfections?
ArcticSilver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone. If this last 30-day episode was the only occurrence, I'd be inclined to agree that the 2-month offer is over and above. The car has been in the shop for recurring issues much longer than that. Well more than 90 days since delivery. I'm not trying to be a grinder and certainly not trying to win the trailer park lottery here.

Since getting it back, I am again getting numerous sensor failure messages (lane change assist, active brake assist, etc etc) indicating all sorts of impending disasters (kidding), and now the rear interior lights don't work again. It's been there 2x for that previously.

In the end though....I want this to end. I'm certain that they'll ask for language that limits my further options and remedies. I sure would if I was them. I'll use the 2-months of cash toward an extended warranty and they can just enjoy the steady stream of warranty claims this car will give them. We shall see.

Thank you.

Last edited by ArcticSilver; Yesterday at 01:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thank you for the replies everyone. If this last 30-day episode was the only occurrence, I'd be inclined to agree that the 2-month offer is over and above. The car has been in the shop for recurring issues much longer than that. Well more than 90 days since delivery. I'm not trying to be a grinder and certainly not trying to win the trailer park lottery here.

Since getting it back, I am again getting numerous sensor failure messages (lane change assist, active brake assist, etc etc) indicating all sorts of impending disasters (kidding), and now the rear interior lights don't work again. It's been there 2x for that previously.

In the end though....I want this to end. I'm certain that they'll ask for language that limits my further options and remedies. I sure would if I was them. I'll use the 2-months of cash toward an extended warranty and they can just enjoy the steady stream of warranty claims this car will give them. We shall see.

Thank you.
Sorry to hear that, after the assembly did they run through the modules to check for the latest updates? As other forum members mentioned, this vehicle has a lot of updates that will improve the experience.
ArcticSilver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,117 Likes on 705 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Make sure you check your tire pressures; if they get low it gives you all manner of error messages.
ArcticSilver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Received 150 Likes on 84 Posts
Various

Thank you.
Definitely sorry to hear. It just wears on you the constant need for repairs. Any thoughts on getting out of it? On to greener pastures? Put the two months payments toward something else they have?
ArcticSilver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
So frustrating. I feel for you...
ArcticSilver (Today)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More of a beta tester than an S580 owner.