S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Is too much commonality ruining the S Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,119 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
You know, I don’t think there would be as much griping about how similar the models look, IF the W223 had been a home run. If virtually everything in the 223 was designed to near perfection, rigorously tested & refined and then it all worked as it was intended, most of us wouldn’t give a hoot that it looked like something cheaper. We would all be happy as can be, cruising down the boulevard of life, without a care in the world—about our cars. Unfortunately, for many, it was not to be.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
carlosinseattle (07-31-2024), NbyNW (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:00 AM

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 S580
Before my S580, I had a 2018 E63s. It was an amazing car, and the power and performance were unbelievable. To be honest, I miss my E63, but now in my early 60s, it was time to stop living as though I was in my 40s. So when I traded, I stepped up to my first S Class. My 580 has had its share of problems, but they've all been fixed. My new car drives better than any car I've owned: it just does. The ride comfort is amazing, and the engine, while detuned, is the same as I had in my E63 (Twin turbo V8).

I took my S in for its B Service a few months back and got a new E Class as a loaner. The car was obviously smaller than an S, but so many things about the car were just not S Class - class. The sound system for one was no where near as good as the 3D system in the 580. I had the high end system in E63, and while the sub in the trunk was amazing for low end bass, the 3D system in my 580 is almost as good. Almost. But the ride quality is the S shines over the E. When I picked up my S after service, I realized just how much I missed it.

I like my S580. Now that the issues have been fixed, I like my new car - a lot. I wash my own car. When i'm finished washing it, I often sit back and admire just how good looking the car is. And thankfully, at least in Atlanta, you don't see four of them at every stoplight, like you do some cars (Teslas for example).

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Mem30306; 07-31-2024 at 08:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mem30306:
Baltistyle (07-31-2024), Munich77 (07-31-2024), NbyNW (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,808 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by Mem30306
I took my S in for its B Service a few months back and got a new E Class as a loaner. The car was obviously smaller than an S, but so many things about the car were just not S Class - class. The sound system for one was no where near as good as the 3D system in the 580. I had the high end system in E63, and while the sub in the trunk was amazing for low end bass, the 3D system in my 580 is almost as good. Almost. But the ride quality is the S shines over the E. When I picked up my S after service, I realized just how much I missed it.
The difference is really huge, its almost like the S Class was designed by another higher level brand entirely. Even a really loaded GLS just doesn't feel like an S Class. Thats why I don't at all understand that people can say they feel like they are sitting in a C Class in the S Class...my question for them is have you sat in a C Class?
The following 4 users liked this post by SW20S:
Baltistyle (07-31-2024), JB-HTX (08-01-2024), Mem30306 (07-31-2024), Munich77 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:30 AM

Received 375 Likes on 260 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by Dima
Sorry to break a bad news, but we're moving to the 'equality of outcome' . Read the speeches of certain candidates for office.
Ill have assume you’re talking about German and euro candidates that are responsible for the regulatory changes killing the historical car industry, or are you talking about the candidates from decades ago that voted on cafe standards that have come into effect recently? The current candidates have zero to do with globalization of car features in place today. I don’t see Nader on the Ballot in the US this time either

If the government is made of “we the people”, our neighbors, and “people just like us”, we are actually the ones driving the change through our choices. Does the choice to water down Amg or an s class come from my state representative or the shareholder and corporate choices due to shareholder demands for profit.

While these cars have always been small medium and large, they didn’t really share platforms or tech features in the same time and space. Features bled down over many years from an sclass to a cclass. Today we have most of these features available in all sizes, especially when considering different brands. Ultimately without differentiation, Mercedes will continue this downward slope.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Features don't define the differences between the cars. If all you care about are fetaures, then you shouldn't waste the money on the S Class. If you care about comfort, ride quality, isolation, refinement, performance then nobody would confuse any other Mercedes model for the S Class if they have driven an S Class.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
JB-HTX (08-01-2024), Mem30306 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:54 AM

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Baltistyle
Ill have assume you’re talking about German and euro candidates that are responsible for the regulatory changes killing the historical car industry, or are you talking about the candidates from decades ago that voted on cafe standards that have come into effect recently? The current candidates have zero to do with globalization of car features in place today. I don’t see Nader on the Ballot in the US this time either

If the government is made of “we the people”, our neighbors, and “people just like us”, we are actually the ones driving the change through our choices. Does the choice to water down Amg or an s class come from my state representative or the shareholder and corporate choices due to shareholder demands for profit.

While these cars have always been small medium and large, they didn’t really share platforms or tech features in the same time and space. Features bled down over many years from an sclass to a cclass. Today we have most of these features available in all sizes, especially when considering different brands. Ultimately without differentiation, Mercedes will continue this downward slope.
You asked for it:
We have always fought for equality. But now we are also talking much more rightly about equity, understanding that we must be clear-eyed about the fact that, yes, we want everyone to get an equal amount — that sounds right — but not everyone starts out from the same place. Some people start out on first base. Some people start out on third base. And if the goal is truly about equality, it has to be about a goal of saying everybody should end up in the same place. And since we didn’t start in the same place, some folks might need more equitable distribution.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:02 AM

You asked for it:
We have always fought for equality. But now we are also talking much more rightly about equity, understanding that we must be clear-eyed about the fact that, yes, we want everyone to get an equal amount — that sounds right — but not everyone starts out from the same place. Some people start out on first base. Some people start out on third base. And if the goal is truly about equality, it has to be about a goal of saying everybody should end up in the same place. And since we didn’t start in the same place, some folks might need more equitable distribution.
no I did not ask for it nor do I care about economic equality as it is a farce and is not in line with nature or evolution… I answered a question about platform commonality and explained that the laws regulating our choices today were not legislated today.

As someone that started with that zero other than being a child with initiative, and still HAVE TO work hard every day to earn every dollar, I would aspire to achieve an sclass that differentiates itself from the competition and not have it be for the commoner that is looking for someone else to help them achieve it. “Class” is part of the Mercedes tiered naming moniker, and a reality of societies and that people are not equal and can not afford the same things.

Old 07-31-2024, 10:15 AM

AMG
no I did not ask for it nor do I care about economic equality as it is a farce and is not in line with nature or evolution… I answered a question about platform commonality and explained that the laws regulating our choices today were not legislated today.

As someone that started with that zero other than being a child with initiative, and still HAVE TO work hard every day to earn every dollar, I would aspire to achieve an sclass that differentiates itself from the competition and not have it be for the commoner that is looking for someone else to help them achieve it. “Class” is part of the Mercedes tiered naming moniker, and a reality of societies and that people are not equal and can not afford the same things.
True that. But guys you're getting a bit too elitist. It's an S class. Every hotel I stay in has a fleet of them. So does our firm. It's not like Crab's Rolls.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by SW20S
Features don't define the differences between the cars. If all you care about are fetaures, then you shouldn't waste the money on the S Class. If you care about comfort, ride quality, isolation, refinement, performance then nobody would confuse any other Mercedes model for the S Class if they have driven an S Class.
I agree with you. My old sclass is extremely luxurious and comfortable vs either of the e classes I’ve had. The materials qualities were outstanding. However, those items you list above. are also now achieved in other classes or brands now albeit perhaps not to the same quality tier. If someone drives a c and hates it and looks at a car that looks nearly the same they may dismiss that bigger and better car without ever driving it. Previously that comfort and refinement was the “option” you were paying for, imho.

and yes, I understand many C class shoppers are not S class shoppers, but on the other hand, many successful people that own cheap Toyotas are more than able to buy an S class in cash. They may need that visual peacock or better differentiated tech to pull them to a brand.

I am actually so shocked by the comfort of my old s55 that I’ve considered selling my 13 63 wagon and my s55 (cars owned) to get into a newer sclass. I just love my wagon so much and it’s so rare that I can’t make a choice. The 55 only has 62k so I’ll hopefully drive it for a long time and be financially responsible…put the money into a fourth toy, lol
Old 07-31-2024, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
True that. But guys you're getting a bit too elitist. It's an S class. Every hotel I stay in has a fleet of them. So does our firm. It's not like Crab's Rolls.
You're totally right about this, its not a Rolls Royce. Hence the concept that S Class owners should have their own dealers or we can't drive a GLA for a day as a loaner etc is just absurd.

I agree with you. My old sclass is extremely luxurious and comfortable vs either of the e classes I’ve had. The materials qualities were outstanding. However, those items you list above. are also now achieved in other classes or brands now albeit perhaps not to the same quality tier. If someone drives a c and hates it and looks at a car that looks nearly the same they may dismiss that bigger and better car without ever driving it. Previously that comfort and refinement was the “option” you were paying for, imho.
You can't buy anything that drives like an S Class in a lower tier.

but on the other hand, many successful people that own cheap Toyotas are more than able to buy an S class in cash. They may need that visual peacock or better differentiated tech to pull them to a brand.
They just aren't car people, which is fine. Nothing about a car is going to make them spend $140,000 for one.
The following users liked this post:
JB-HTX (08-01-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 01:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
S 63
Originally Posted by Streamliner
You know, I don’t think there would be as much griping about how similar the models look, IF the W223 had been a home run
i would argue that the W223 is in someways set to repeat the stories of both the W140 and W220. The W220 parallels are somewhat noticeable in the form of the clean-sheet redesign and some of the dissatisfaction that came from the products positioned at the tail end of an era which became increasingly stingy near the end (the 1990s McKinsey and Kinsey era, which was brought on by the sales disappointment of the W140 and fresh competition from the 7er and LS). However, I’m not sure it’s entirely fair that some are saying “I knew Mercedes-Benz was done when they partially spun off Daimler Truck!,” since the effects of Daimler AG becoming Mercedes-Benz group are still not yet realized in the product lineup due to lead times. Basically every recent Mercedes-Benz product (up to the CLE really) comes from the very end of the Zietsche Daimler AG era, and I also don’t think it’s fair the blame the DaimlerChrysler merger for the issues of cars like the W220 or W203, which were largely frozen or about to enter production when the merger happened. If anything, the fresh capital allowed Mercedes to increase quality and reliability, with the first car DaimlerChrysler really can take credit (or blame) for, the W211.

With how the W223 facelift is turning out, I am getting flashbacks to the W140 era, which saw the S-Klasse delayed from the fall of 1989 to the spring of 1991, at which point it had gone massively over budget. Like the W220, it was also a clean-sheet redesign (the first for the S-Klasse, since the W126 had used the W116 architecture), but failed for the exact opposite reason of the W220: it was not up with the time, was very brutally fashioned (Sacco’s hands were partially tied by the engineering team, and the failure would lead to his influence waning), and was priced much higher to “exceed” the 7er and LS. Which is not what the market was looking for at all in the early to mid 1990s. Perhaps most crucially, it was missing the quintessential S-Klasse elegance, at least in terms of styling and visuals, and was a bit of a shock to people accustomed to the W116/W126, who may have preferred the much more attractively styled 7er or LS cars. In short, the W140 failed because it was driven almost exclusively by engineers who could not read the market.

The W220, the “Smaller and Friendlier” S-Klasse (called by some as the best 7er Mercedes-Benz ever produced) failed because it was far too driven by trying appease the market with a 2000s car built with 1990s tech. In retrospect, I can definitely see why the W220 was more appealing upon arrival, but unfortunately lost its luster due to the McKinsey and Kinsey Bean-Counting inertia.

W221 ended up being the “Goldilocks S-Klasse” with a very nice blend of increased quality, modern engineering, a design that was very appealing to people in the F-Segment and the right amount of the S-Klasse elegance. The W222 was helped by essentially just being a continuation of the W221, stylistically and architecturally. Whatever happens with the W223 facelift, I assure you it will be big news: Mercedes-Benz has put far too much time and money into it to for it to be anything other than a big success addressing all of its major issues or a failure that will kill the W223 within a couple of years (no in-between).
The following users liked this post:
JB-HTX (08-01-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 01:14 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
We are traveling a lot, US and so on....only 5 star hotels, could you please indicate what are the hotels with an S class fleet are you staying in, I'm really curious, excuse my ignorance !
Old 07-31-2024, 01:18 PM

S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
And maybe the name of your firm too !
We are both retired from one of the largest, well known, old corporations in US and they wouldn't have an "S class fleet " just my curiosity !
Old 07-31-2024, 01:50 PM

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by tx170754
We are traveling a lot, US and so on....only 5 star hotels, could you please indicate what are the hotels with an S class fleet are you staying in, I'm really curious, excuse my ignorance !
Here in Atlanta, I've seen the Ritz downtown, and the St. Regis and the Waldorf in Buckhead with hotel signage on new S Class cars. Not sure they have a fleet, but at least one for each hotel running around town.

Last edited by Mem30306; 07-31-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2024, 02:20 PM

AMG
Sure try any Mandarin Oriental and many Four Seasons at least in Europe. In some you need to stay in certain rooms though
Old 07-31-2024, 02:22 PM

AMG
And maybe the name of your firm too !
We are both retired from one of the largest, well known, old corporations in US and they wouldn't have an "S class fleet " just my curiosity !
Yeah ok.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:24 PM

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts
Mercedes S560
In that vein, Sandy Lane in Barbados, I believe has a couple of Bentleys for airport pickup and drop off.

It's been a long time since we have traveled to any "expensive" cities, other than visits to England and Scotland, where we always stayed in top-level hotels...I don't recall any of them having house vehicles of any ilk.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:59 PM

Received 282 Likes on 196 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
One of my clients has a couple S-class and some Escalades for his high profile clients. That doesn't decrease the car's cache' for me. One of my greatest pleasures when I owned my W220 S600 was when the valet would leave my car right in front of the restaurant or hotel - without me even asking. And when I walked out, they identified me and my car. I'd definitely tip them well, but it was almost expected that I'd walk out and my car would be right next to the door. I felt like a king!
Old 07-31-2024, 06:00 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Every hotel in London where the price per night is £400+ has an S Class or 7 Series. Within the affluent parts of London it's the most common car you'll see with the G63s and Range Rovers following behind it.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:16 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Every hotel in London where the price per night is £400+ has an S Class or 7 Series. Within the affluent parts of London it's the most common car you'll see with the G63s and Range Rovers following behind it.
that's right. In Munich few years back when I stayed in MO, they included the S class with the room, use it as you wish for as long as you're staying. The retired gentleman must be staying in Holiday Inn Express. (don't recall if they had this funny commercial in UK)
Old 07-31-2024, 10:39 PM

S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
that's right. In Munich few years back when I stayed in MO, they included the S class with the room, use it as you wish for as long as you're staying. The retired gentleman must be staying in Holiday Inn Express. (don't recall if they had this funny commercial in UK)
So, you did not answer to the "retired gentlemen" what is the company name with an S class fleet you're working for, so again, what is the name of it ?
If they have an S class fleet and they're paying for you to stay in MO, or Four Seasons you should not have a problem telling us the name of it adevarat Dima ?
Old 07-31-2024, 10:45 PM

S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
And BTW do you drive a Mercedes? I do not see this in your profile, just tell us if you do.
Old 07-31-2024, 11:35 PM

AMG
[QUOTE=tx170754;9010034]So, you did not answer to the "retired gentlemen" what is the company name with an S class fleet you're working for, so again, what is the name of it ?
If they have an S class fleet and they're paying for you to stay in MO, or Four Seasons you should not have a problem telling us the name of it adevarat Dima ?[/QUOTE
company of 'smartest men the the room'
Old 07-31-2024, 11:41 PM

AMG
And BTW do you drive a Mercedes? I do not see this in your profile, just tell us if you do.
yes, can you believe it? Been saving for the whole .....ah day.
Old 07-31-2024, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 743 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic