S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

New Here...A few Q's about the 63

Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 M5, 07 S550
New Here...A few Q's about the 63

Hello All,
My name is Evan and I am new to the site. I came up across this site after searching for some S63 info on the web. I am ready to take the plunge and order a new S63. I do know a little about the car since I already own an
S550 AMG but Im sure I still have alot to learn. I will be going to my dealer next week to place an order for the S63. On my S550, I managed to talk my dealer into giving me 4000 off sticker. Can I expect the same for the S63? I have been reading that the early S63's are missing features and therefore MBUSA is offering a discount of some sorts...does anyone have any info on this?

What is everyones take on obs black vs flat black. My last 2 mercedes have been obsidian and I dont really know why I ordered obsidian. I guess it was always my take that metallic paints are stronger and it is easier to have scratches buffed out.

Look forward to learning a bunch from the AMG gurus
Old 05-28-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Don't count on any discounts - this is a limited production vehicle. In terms of the early releases - I would presume they're all gone. In terms of color - personal preference - take a look at both on the S body and decide.

Once you take the plunge - welcome to the club - you'll see it's a totally different vehicle than you're used to. BTW - Once you get it you won't want to be in the M5 much.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Welcome to the Forum

I dont have any info about any discount offered but my suggestion is ask around esp. since you are in So. Cali. There are a lot of dealers that will be happy to have you as a customer.

As for the color, my personal choice would be obsidian black.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Need to eval your relationship w/your MB dealer/salesguy if you're a frequent buyer....changes dynamic of priority on hot, new cars at MSRP; trade-in value given; discts on cars when they are later in their product cycle; and priority given at service dept for appts/more expcd techs/loaner cars...

Would suspect S63 will be avail at $2-3K disct to repeat custs in CA within next 4-6 mos....on a fast-depreciating, discretionary $150K car, not sure $2-3K means much....

To be most efficient in CA, esp when considering sales tx calcs, cost of capital and lease-gap insurance coverage, prob makes most sense to $0 down lease an S63 via MBCredit....

Rap on obsidian blk is that it looks like a dirty, brownish blk in sunlight; is a less easy color for resale value, esp if trading in car within 6-12 mos (most buyers are more comfortable w/flat black or silver, rather than these funky metallics that can look different in certain lights....such as the alleged titanium on the CL that looks purplish )

After many blk/blk MBs, have moved to silver/blk, simply b/c blk (even w/MB's nanotech clearcoat) often shows microswirls (even w/high-end pro hand car washes)...but to each his own....

On the missing early options, would say they are a non-event....have an early CL63 w/o these features and don't miss them; MB was honorable to provide a small disct (Ferrari and Porsche also muck up early cars re: options/features and don't offer such compensation)....but have a second CL63 being built this week that supposedly has all these latest/greatest features, like real-time traffic, etc...

Echo others' comments.....doubt one would ever use an M5 once one becomes accustomed to the useable tq, smooth/fast shifting, powerful brakes, comfort features, advanced safety engineering/innovations and adult-sized fuel tank of the S63.....
Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 AM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
I would go with Flint Grey. It looks awesome on my 07' S65. But then again I would never drive a black painted anything. They only look good in the showroom. Too much maintance to keep them looking nice.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Banned

06 M5, 07 S550
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Im glad I found a place that I can come and play while im supposed to be doing work . As far as discounting, I will try but it is def not something that will make me postpone my order. Last week my dealer priced out a 0 down lease and it was 2800 plus taxes, 10k a yr, 36 months. I have never leased a car in my life bc it just never made financial sense to me. If i lease this car I would pay somewhere close to 110,000 to drive this car for 3 years. If i pay 150,000 in cash and sell this car in 3 years I am certain I can get more than 40,000 for it.

I think I am going to try flat black on black with the P3 package. I was debating on distronic plus but I think its something I would be too scared to use. I just cant trust a computer that much as I would hate to rear end someone.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:38 AM

I too am very excitedly waiting for my 63 to arrive. I have to say, though, that if lives up to the M5 it will be a great drive. I had an '06 M5 and it blew away my friends S55, no questions asked. S had more torque but felt like you were steering a very large car, whereas the M5 was nimble and light, and very quick once going if a little less so off the line. Mine unfortunately had mysterious software bugs that could never be fixed, and so i returned it and am waiting for my S63
Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 AM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by turtle10250
I too am very excitedly waiting for my 63 to arrive. I have to say, though, that if lives up to the M5 it will be a great drive. I had an '06 M5 and it blew away my friends S55, no questions asked. S had more torque but felt like you were steering a very large car, whereas the M5 was nimble and light, and very quick once going if a little less so off the line. Mine unfortunately had mysterious software bugs that could never be fixed, and so i returned it and am waiting for my S63
hey turtle, as much as i love my new baby i must say she is a boat/tank. If you are expecting her to handle like the M5 you have a surprise coming. i had a 2002 (old body style) 540 w the M sport package and I must say that was the best handling sedan I have ever driven. i took a very sharp right turn from the outside lane going around 50-60mph yesterday and she almost didnt make it, needless to say I learned my lesson. she is a monster tho and I love her to death. she's just lovely on the switchbacks in the hills tho. I feel like my X5 handles just about as well as the new S63.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noxxin
hey turtle, as much as i love my new baby i must say she is a boat/tank. If you are expecting her to handle like the M5 you have a surprise coming. i had a 2002 (old body style) 540 w the M sport package and I must say that was the best handling sedan I have ever driven. i took a very sharp right turn from the outside lane going around 50-60mph yesterday and she almost didnt make it, needless to say I learned my lesson. she is a monster tho and I love her to death. she's just lovely on the switchbacks in the hills tho. I feel like my X5 handles just about as well as the new S63.
ouch...that's not good!
i'm not much of a bmw fan...
owned a m3 for a year and sold it after cussing about the hash ride after each drive.
test drove the x5 once and the handling is not that great.

i liked the handling of my S55.
I would think the S63 would either be at par if not better.
anybody have any insights?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by KBG Developing
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Im glad I found a place that I can come and play while im supposed to be doing work . As far as discounting, I will try but it is def not something that will make me postpone my order. Last week my dealer priced out a 0 down lease and it was 2800 plus taxes, 10k a yr, 36 months. I have never leased a car in my life bc it just never made financial sense to me. If i lease this car I would pay somewhere close to 110,000 to drive this car for 3 years. If i pay 150,000 in cash and sell this car in 3 years I am certain I can get more than 40,000 for it.

I think I am going to try flat black on black with the P3 package. I was debating on distronic plus but I think its something I would be too scared to use. I just cant trust a computer that much as I would hate to rear end someone.
Welcome !

If you are in a position to drive your car for business, and utilize a tax deduction, then you may want to reconsider leasing. The few thousand you may or may not get as purchase price discount will pale in comparison to the $$$ savings of a business lease.

Distronic Plus, particularly when compared to the initial Distronic is amazing. I'm not yet totally comfortable either with turning that level of control over to the car's computer system, but for those of us that spin our heads around as we drive, Distronic Plus is an incredible safety feature. I like it much more than I had anticipated I would.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Scammer at work, KBG Developing:
PT Barnum was right