S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S65 or S63??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
S65 or S63??

Hey guys/gals,

I got to test drive a 2008 S63 and was quite impressed with the performance and handling. I was turned off by the rather cheap interior, with lots of fake leather everywhere. I could order a designo S63, but by the time you load it out you are not too far from the S65 price range. Having not driven an S65, I would assume the 2 cars handle about the same? I noiticed the S65 gets slightly better gas mileage than the S63?? Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by TestnDoc
Hey guys/gals,

I got to test drive a 2008 S63 and was quite impressed with the performance and handling. I was turned off by the rather cheap interior, with lots of fake leather everywhere. I could order a designo S63, but by the time you load it out you are not too far from the S65 price range. Having not driven an S65, I would assume the 2 cars handle about the same? I noiticed the S65 gets slightly better gas mileage than the S63?? Thanks
S63 handles a little better as less weight over the front axle than the V12. Performance of the 65 in a different league. The S weighs two tonnes so torque is key and 465lbs, while plenty in isolation, has nothing on 737lbs. Modding potential is of course better with the TT engine too.

MPG is a moot point.

What is the "Porsche Turbo GT" in your sig? I'm confused as to what that may be, as surely it's not a modified Carrera GT?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

ya hi, i purchases a 2008 s63 black/black. I am getting rid of my amg stock rims and putting my own custom brabus monoblock S rims. It's silver polished with my own custom black machine trim. I also changed my rear lights into a smoked color.It is nice, i have not tested an s65 but the s63 is a great car. So far, no problems. If you are not intrested in S-class, try cl63. Also check out the S600 V12!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
S63 handles a little better as less weight over the front axle than the V12. Performance of the 65 in a different league. The S weighs two tonnes so torque is key and 465lbs, while plenty in isolation, has nothing on 737lbs. Modding potential is of course better with the TT engine too.

MPG is a moot point.

What is the "Porsche Turbo GT" in your sig? I'm confused as to what that may be, as surely it's not a modified Carrera GT?
GTsilver is the type/shade of silver I have. Thanks for the info, not sure if I need an S65, but who does.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
You might want to consider the S600 as well. I would definitely get it over the S63.

It's got the same hp but with gobs of torque, 612lb feet! If you chip it (costs around 2-3k) you get 120hp more.

Another thing you'll like is that it has the same quality leather as the S65.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by TestnDoc
I noiticed the S65 gets slightly better gas mileage than the S63??
I don't understand that either (11/17 vs. 13/20). I'm halfway into a 3,000 mile roadtrip through California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. I've been getting between 17 and 18 MPG and much of the driving has been very spirited, shall we say. I've never seen less than 13 since I've had the car. Have any S63 owners? I guess it's possible those numbers are real, although I've always assumed something was in error. It could be because of the forced induction vs. normal aspiration. After all, the S65 has a smaller displacement than the S63, although at full boost it's effectively about 11 liters. Under low load with no boost it's quite possible the 65 engine uses less fuel that the 63.

I will say a roadtrip in this car is a blast.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 PM

s65AMG, sl500
Transmission the S65 has the "old" 5 speeder, the S63 the new 7 speed. I have to say now I have lived with the 7 speeder for a while , the 5 speeder is smoother overall and works better overall. The only areas the 7 speeder is superior is manual changes (nice for track or very winding roads but of limted use day to day)and flat out of the mark it changes a little quicker. The 7 speeder is pretty good but can get caught out a midrange speeds, hesitating to select the right gear and then giving rougher changes at mid range throttle openings, this just didn't happen with the 5 speeder in the s55 or S65.
The S63 engine whilst it is nice and quiet when just day to day driving, it does make a better noise when extended and is sportier in character, makes me grin more. One good thing about the transmission is it does use the cars lesser powerband more effectively. It is a very fast car and the power is quite usable with a limited risk of you killing yourself

S65 has mega power from almost any revs, it just surges like a very powerful powerboat, sounds a little like one at tickover too, but does not make such a good noise as the V8 when pushed, still nice though. The engine is just turbine smooth with huge amounts of constant power. Traction is more of a problem, often under 100mph if the conditions are a little less than ideal you'll find that it is actually eaiser to go faster in a an S63 or even if its very wet an S500, its just hard to balance the power against traction and intervention of the traction control (even ace racing drivers have comented on this in the magazines).The S65 is a faster car but is also a little trickier as you can lose traction that bit easier , just a little bit easier to kill yourself if your being imprudent or inattentive with the power .
Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Murtaza
You might want to consider the S600 as well. I would definitely get it over the S63.

It's got the same hp but with gobs of torque, 612lb feet! If you chip it (costs around 2-3k) you get 120hp more.

Another thing you'll like is that it has the same quality leather as the S65.
I thought about the S600, but I like the AMG body a little more. How is the handling in the S600? I had read somewhere that it was a little "loose", but I guess a suspension mod could fix that??
Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Would get 65....see if you can get factory to build it w/all-leather, sport AMG steering wheel w/paddleshifters (as they do for EU), not the codgerly wood steering wheel...

AMG reduced 65 MSRP some $2-3K for '08 vs '07...dealers are discounting....and MB is offering decent 2yr lease terms on 65...

S63 interior leather is an abomination for a $150K zoomy limo....

S63 Designo unfortunately typically offers a few garish color/trim choices that only a "ladies who lunch"-type could enjoy....as well as the post-menopausal wood steering wheel....at least the Designos are internally consistent....

600 has better tq than 63 and excellent leather finishes....but 600 brakes, steering, susp calibr and wood steering wheel aren't really compatible w/its tq....though 600 is one of world's best overall cars, just don't feel very secure at high speed in 600, even on straight-line fwys, esp for those accustomed to AMG chassis engineering.....and the bodykit of 600 is perfect for the >70yo buyer who views 63/65-look as too boy-racerish.....also, the brake calipers of 600 are optically embarrassing (esp if one opts for more revealing AMG-style wheels)....
Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by Mmmm
Transmission the S65 has the "old" 5 speeder, the S63 the new 7 speed. I have to say now I have lived with the 7 speeder for a while , the 5 speeder is smoother overall and works better overall. The only areas the 7 speeder is superior is manual changes (nice for track or very winding roads but of limted use day to day)and flat out of the mark it changes a little quicker. The 7 speeder is pretty good but can get caught out a midrange speeds, hesitating to select the right gear and then giving rougher changes at mid range throttle openings, this just didn't happen with the 5 speeder in the s55 or S65.
The S63 engine whilst it is nice and quiet when just day to day driving, it does make a better noise when extended and is sportier in character, makes me grin more. One good thing about the transmission is it does use the cars lesser powerband more effectively. It is a very fast car and the power is quite usable with a limited risk of you killing yourself

S65 has mega power from almost any revs, it just surges like a very powerful powerboat, sounds a little like one at tickover too, but does not make such a good noise as the V8 when pushed, still nice though. The engine is just turbine smooth with huge amounts of constant power. Traction is more of a problem, often under 100mph if the conditions are a little less than ideal you'll find that it is actually eaiser to go faster in a an S63 or even if its very wet an S500, its just hard to balance the power against traction and intervention of the traction control (even ace racing drivers have comented on this in the magazines).The S65 is a faster car but is also a little trickier as you can lose traction that bit easier , just a little bit easier to kill yourself if your being imprudent or inattentive with the power .

Well said....

Dynamically, considering both straight-line and twisties, if one lives in Germany, w/derestricted AB and smooth pavement, S63 would offer dramatically weak hp/tq vs the obviously superior 65, esp seen in 100MPH-150MPH+ bursts.....(can even sense 63's relative tq weaknesses on a few very fast CA fwys)...

In ex-Germany, suspect 63 is the better overall car dynamically....250lb lighter nose, NA throttle response, much better traction vs bumpy/wet pavement, more engaging exhaust note.....(currently have CL63; will get CL65 next mth to find out if my speculation is true for latest-tech AMG CL chassis platform)

Suspect much of the seamlessness of 65 tranny is simple fact that it doesn't have to work as hard as 63 to respond in delivering hp/tq......many are similarly ambivalent about overly loud exhausts, which sound like a car that's "trying too hard" to generate motion....