S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

MBUSA 'Buyback program'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBUSA 'Buyback program'

While hunting for an '05 and later S 55 AMG, I have been told that MBUSA has a buyback program for cars that fail during warranty..suspension issues, electrical issues, never ending 'check engine light'. The story is that MBUSA buys back the car, fixes it and then gives the customer a good deal on a new car (I'm assuming the car that failed has been purchased new by the current driver) and then sells the car at auction, disclosing that it was a warrranty/lemon law buyback, often at a lower than usual price.

The presumption is that the car is no longer a lemon and a really good deal can be had. Is this a sales fairy tale or for real?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
this is true and can be found, the only downside is the 'stigma' associated with it being a buyback.

its obviously been fixed but the title states it is a buy back so the value will always be affected but thats why you get it for so cheap to begin with anyways.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Fairy tale....

For obvious reasons, no mfr buys back any car unless it's an unmitigated disaster and cust/dealer have enough juice to force issue....

Would rather $0-down lease new S550 than any used car.....would want full protection of lemon laws, factory warranty, dealer relationship, lease-gap insurance, etc....and the aesthetics (and safety) of a pristine, new car.....than any used car, even an '08 barely driven (never in rain of course) by a collector/executive/grandma, w/no known accidents/paint work, etc.....
Old 10-31-2007, 10:45 PM

No longer car shopping...
Originally Posted by Thunderbone
While hunting for an '05 and later S 55 AMG, I have been told that MBUSA has a buyback program for cars that fail during warranty..suspension issues, electrical issues, never ending 'check engine light'. The story is that MBUSA buys back the car, fixes it and then gives the customer a good deal on a new car (I'm assuming the car that failed has been purchased new by the current driver) and then sells the car at auction, disclosing that it was a warrranty/lemon law buyback, often at a lower than usual price.

The presumption is that the car is no longer a lemon and a really good deal can be had. Is this a sales fairy tale or for real?
It's funny but the ones you hear telling you that it's "just like a new car" are the ONE'S SELLING IT! While it is true that 'some' buybacks are minor, the reality is that MB would NOT have bought it back if they had been able to have fixed it in the first place. Buy back vehicles are ALWAYS buy back vehicles. You can get regular warranty service performed but that is because MB MUST service EVERY new car for that period. Buy backs often cannot get any extended warranties. Buy backs are "almost" like salvage or wrecked cars in that their value will ALWAYS be diminished. You may well be able to find one a bit cheaper than a standard used car but in many cases (un-educated) people are paying near private party used prices for these things and then only later when they try to trade them in they discover that the dealers aren't willing to give ANYTHING on them. Some won't even accept them in trade.... Just something to think about.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
My 2004 E500 was a buy back. I purchased it knowing full well that it was a buy back and I got quite a discount on it. At the time, "normal" pre-owned E500's that were similarly equipped were selling for roughly 44-47K, depending on miles. I purchased mine for 37K and have been happy with the car. It was purchased back for "transmission concerns". Now, the 2004 W211's were infamous, as all of the cars with 7G tranny's, for having poor shift quality. The previous owner was unable to get their dealer to fix the car to their satisfaction and MB purchased the vehicle back from them. I purchased it and had my dealer upgrade the ECU and TCU as well as replace a flange. There was a DTB published after MB purchased the car back. After this was done, the transmission has been perfect. Well, as perfect as the 7G can be anyway.

My point is, don't listen to people that say all buy backs are junk. I'm sure some are, but my case is proof that there are deals to be had on these cars as well.

Will my resale value be hurt? Sure, but I'm starting out 7-10K ahead anyway.

My .02
Old 10-31-2007, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
There's a reason they're called "lemons".
Remember: While some people may have good luck with these cars, if something sounds too good to be true.....................................
Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
My 2004 E500 was a buy back. I purchased it knowing full well that it was a buy back and I got quite a discount on it. At the time, "normal" pre-owned E500's that were similarly equipped were selling for roughly 44-47K, depending on miles. I purchased mine for 37K and have been happy with the car. It was purchased back for "transmission concerns". Now, the 2004 W211's were infamous, as all of the cars with 7G tranny's, for having poor shift quality. The previous owner was unable to get their dealer to fix the car to their satisfaction and MB purchased the vehicle back from them. I purchased it and had my dealer upgrade the ECU and TCU as well as replace a flange. There was a DTB published after MB purchased the car back. After this was done, the transmission has been perfect. Well, as perfect as the 7G can be anyway.

My point is, don't listen to people that say all buy backs are junk. I'm sure some are, but my case is proof that there are deals to be had on these cars as well.

Will my resale value be hurt? Sure, but I'm starting out 7-10K ahead anyway.

My .02
Agree, there is an exception to every rule. Your's fits and you appear to have also purchased it "right". I may have been too harsh in my prior post as I was seeing FAR too many "innocents" getting the shaft from these "dealer buyback" eBay sellers who were getting near full retail (i.e. SL500 buybacks going for within $500 of a non-buyback car with same options and miles). As long as you KNOW you are getting a buyback and as long as you have gotten the discount UP FRONT, there won't be the same confussion on the back end. However, one thing doesn't change. Benz dealers will NOT accept them in trade for another Benz...
Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 c230
im recently looking for a c32 and i came upon this dealer selling an 03 c32 which is a lemon or a manufacturer buyback. so the guy wants 10g's for the 2003 c32 which is fully loaded with navi, xenons and also has c55 wheels. the car only has 40k miles. seems too good to be true? im planning on calling the guy tomorrow and check if i can get an extended warranty and vin number
Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by asdfijl
im recently looking for a c32 and i came upon this dealer selling an 03 c32 which is a lemon or a manufacturer buyback. so the guy wants 10g's for the 2003 c32 which is fully loaded with navi, xenons and also has c55 wheels. the car only has 40k miles. seems too good to be true? im planning on calling the guy tomorrow and check if i can get an extended warranty and vin number
$10,000 for a 2003 C32? Even as a salvage that would be a good deal but remember what they say.. "If it's too good to be true, it's probably not". Stop back in here tomorrow to let us know if the guy "Is out of the country but has it at a dock and they can release it if you wire him the $10K via Western Union or if it is some other version of that same scam...

It it's ANYTHING above $10K, it's not worth it as the wholesale on a 2003 C32 is around $18K right now. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-04-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with ndabunka on this one. Make sure it's not a Katrina flood car, there's are lots and lots of those out there right now. I would never buy a flood car at any price.

By the way, if there's anyone looking for a buy back, check this guy out.

http://www.garnettmotorcars.com

Ryan is the owner and he's the gentleman that I purchased my car from. He's completely up front and pleasure to do business with. I bought my car sight unseen and he even took it to the local MB dealer near him and had them do a pre-sale inspection for me. I spoke with the tech directly and he assured me that the car was tip top, which it was.

I have no affiliation with him or his company, btw.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 c230
hey guys, im planning on calling the guy tomorrow. unfortunately, the guy is on the east coast and im located in southern california. so i most likely wont be able to see it in person or take it out for a drive. any suggestions? what should i do to feel confident about buying the car without a test drive or in-person inspection?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM

SL55, Cayenne S, Tundra, 360 spider
You know what I hate about the buy back,,,that they put BUY BACK in huge letters on all 4 sides of the car. it really sucks that everyone knows you are driving a buy back.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NOTA4RE
You know what I hate about the buy back,,,that they put BUY BACK in huge letters on all 4 sides of the car. it really sucks that everyone knows you are driving a buy back.
Depends on the state. My car has no identifying marks or stickers what so ever. The only way you would know is if through Carfax.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 PM

SL55, Cayenne S, Tundra, 360 spider
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Depends on the state. My car has no identifying marks or stickers what so ever. The only way you would know is if through Carfax.

yeah I know I was just being an ***. really if you didn't tell anyone it was a buy back no one would know you didn't pay full price for the car.

Although I do think some states put a little dot of paint on branded cars.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NOTA4RE
yeah I know I was just being an ***. really if you didn't tell anyone it was a buy back no one would know you didn't pay full price for the car.

Although I do think some states put a little dot of paint on branded cars.
Yeah, I think some states put stickers inside the door jambs. That's what I thought you meant. Could you imagine driving around with "BUY BACK" painted all over the car.

OOOH! Maybe I'll use that for my vanity license plate.