S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Need some input S55 or E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Arrow Need some input S55 or E55

Hello everyone.
I am sure I can do my research on the two but...nothing will replace experience. Therefore, I am cutting my time and asking for help from you members. I will say that I am almost out of my league with these cars. But, either way...I have never been one to want to downgrade. I currently have an 02 M5. I love the car but...I am getting tired of city driving with that thing. So, here I am looking for either an 03 S55 or E55. I have to keep it in the price range of 30k or lower.

So, what would be the pros and cons of either vehicle? I am drawn more to the S55 but know nothing about either model. Any input will be taken into consideration.

Oh and on another note...where can I find what kind of options the S55 had available. I would like to know what to shop around for. I didn't do that with my M5. I assumed it would be fully loaded but was missing a lot of features that I could have had if I knew what to look for. I've noticed that options don't really increase the value too much on used vehicles so I would rather look for one fully loaded.

Thank you so much for any information you might be able to provide me with.
---joe
Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS430
For the best in space and comfort, nothing beats the S. For a bit more nimbleness and quickness the E55 is the choice. Check out cars.com and go to research, choose the right year and go to available options and you'll see all the options available for whichever car you choose. A few top options for daily driving is distronic (radar guided cruise control) which was a $4,000 option, parktronic, drive dynamic seats (seats delfate and inflate to hold you when you corner).

You are looking at 2 wolves in sheeps clothing for cars. For the budget you stated you most likely should go for the E as it competed with the M5. The S55 will be in higher mileage most likely and you won't be able to get an extended warranty on it. Actually with a 30k or lower budget, it would be hard to get find both cars under 50,000 miles unless it already is coming with a transferable extended warranty. One thing you definitely want is an extended warranty with these cars as the ABC (Active Body Control) can go bad and be an expensive fix. It's always great to have peace of mind. Both cars IMHO are two of the best daily drivers ever but yet are incredible powerful at the same time. The best of both worlds. BTW, I saved you the time to go to cars.com, here's the breakdown:

S55 AMG Options:

Option Groups

designo Espresso Edition
  • Includes natural elm wood trim on overhead assist handles.
  • Charcoal Interior
  • Includes exclusive interior treatment with charcoal nappa leather on dash, doors, console and rear shelf and nappa leather head restraints, center armrests and door inserts. Alcantara covering pillars, sun visors and ceiling.
  • Charcoal Velour Floor Mats w/Leather Border
  • Natural Elm Wood/Charcoal Nappa Leather Shift Knob
  • Alpaca Gray Alcantara Roof Liner
  • Natural Elm Wood Trim

designo Graphite Edition
  • Includes brown poplar wood trim on overhead assist handles.
  • Charcoal Interior
  • Includes exclusive interior treatment with charcoal nappa leather on dash, doors, console and rear shelf and nappa leather head restraints, center armrests and door inserts. Alcantara covering pillars, sun visors and ceiling.
  • Charcoal Velour Floor Mats w/Leather Border
  • Brown Poplar Wood/Charcoal Leather Shift Knob
  • Alpaca Gray Alcantara Roof Liner
  • Brown Poplar Wood Trim
Seating

Four Place Seating Package
  • Includes 4 dynamic multicontour power seats, each with 2-position memory.
Audio
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
  • Includes 14-month subscription.
  • VPC installed.
Other Options

Rear Active Ventilated Seats
  • Heated Rear Seats

Heated Rear Seats

Gas Guzzler Tax
  • Required on vehicles where fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels.

Personalization Program Paint & Trim

4-Zone Climate Control
  • Includes all features of a dual-zone system plus an additional rear-cabin control panel.

Distronic

Hands-Free Communication System w/Voice Control
  • Includes voice control system for operation of commonly used telephone and audio system features. Compatible portable phones sold separately.

Keyless Go
  • Includes vehicle entry and starting system.

Parktronic
  • Parking assistance system uses sound waves to help detect nearby obstacles at parking speeds, alerting the driver to their proximity and direction via audio-visual indicators on dash and rear-cabin ceiling.

Rear Side-Window Roller Blinds

Last edited by E55AMGFan; 07-27-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM

LS430
Sorry for posting twice but I exceeded the 50,000 character limit when I tried getting in the E55 options. Here it is:

E-Class E55 AMG 4dr Sedan Base

Option Groups

Lighting Package
  • Heated Headlamp Washers
  • Bi-Xenon Headlamps w/Active Curve Illumination
  • Low and high beam.
Audio

Factory Installed CD Changer

Hands-Free Communication System
  • Compatible portable phones sold separately.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio
  • Includes 14-month subscription.
  • VPC installed.
Other Options

Active Ventilated Front Seats
  • Includes heating feature.

Drive Dynamic Front Seats w/Multicontour Seatbacks

Gas Guzzler Tax
  • Required on vehicles where fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels.

Distronic
  • An intelligent cruise control system that maintains a constant cruising distance from the vehicle directly ahead.

DVD COMAND Navigation
  • Includes GPS Satellite navigation with map database for the contiguous U.S., Hawaii and Canada on a single DVD.

Electronic Trunk Closer

Hands-Free Communication System w/Voice Control
  • Compatible portable phones sold separately.

Keyless Go

Panorama Sunroof
  • Includes full tinted glass roof from windshield to rear window, power tilt/sliding panel with 1-touch express-open and dual power sunshades.

Parktronic
  • Audio-visual parking assistance system.

Power Rear Window Sunshade
  • Includes 1-touch express-up/down.

Rear Side-Window Roller Blinds

Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
The E would be my pick, more agile and carries same amount of people. If you don't mind me asking what year and price for the E?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Thank you E55AMGFan. I appreciate the feedback. So, what you listed are all the options available in those trims? So, I would assume that if it is not listed it is included as a standard option. Example: E55 has an electronic trunk closer as an option...S55 does not. So, does it not have electronic trunk closer or is it standard on all S55 models.
Sorry if these questions seem a little clueless. I just do not want to 'assume' when I shop around for what I want.

V12: Not looking to "race". Had enough of that with my younger years. I know myself though...I will not be happy getting rid of my M5 for something 'equivalent' or less. I have to have something better if I choose to get rid of it.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 PM

LS430
Yes according to cars.com those were the options available for 2005 Model S55 and E55.

The Bi-Xenon headlights is standard on the S since it's an S class. I still think the trunk closer is an option.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 AM

Pinto
Personal experience Driving with both cars..

I would go with S55..

No other choice...

Yes..auto trunk is standard on s55 amg..
Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
the S has a much more refined ride and is much more comfortable

the S is harder to park because it's much larger, but it's that size that enhances the ride and comfort

both are ridiculously fun to drive due to the immense power available

neither one will win any awards for handling

if you want comfort and class, go with the S
Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 PM

2007 GL450 2003 S55
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408

I would go with S55..

No other choice...

My 2003 S55 does not have the self-closing trunk.

Last edited by qcar; 07-30-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by qcar
My 2003 S55 does not have the self-closing trunk.
my 2004 S55 has the power trunk, and I am damn-near addicted. pitiful...
Old 08-02-2009, 05:46 PM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
my 2004 S55 has the power trunk, and I am damn-near addicted. pitiful...
LMAO. It's options like these we can do without. However, once you have it and use it, you wouldn't ever go without it.

Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408

I would go with S55..

No other choice...

Maybe I can hit San Jo and test drive yours. HEHE.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
S55 or E55

First, I am biased as I drive an 04 S55. I went out to get an E55 and ended up with the S. I drove both. First, if you are used to BMWs you may or may not realize that while it is assumed that a 3 = C class, 5 = E class, 740 = S class that ain't quite correct. I find the BMWs run a bit smaller across the line. A 5 series is really in between a C and E in size so you may be very happy with an E class room wise.

The E is the sportier of the two without a doubt. But I found it neither fish nor foul. What I mean is it will NOT handle like a BMW and while brutely fast just doesn't have the same chassis sophistication (sorry Mercedes fans but if you've driven an M3 then you know I am right). At the same time the E55 is not a luxury car in terms of noise vibration and harshness. You know you are in muscle car every minute.

The S on the other hand seems to me to be the perfect compromise. Remember that neither will give you the BMWs handling. What most people fail to realize are:

The S55 larger engine bay means from the factory a 493 hp versu 469 hp rating, bigger exhaust and better heat rejection.

The S55 comes with a two part heat exchanger from the factory, no loss of SC boost due to excessive IAT, even after most mods. With an E this becomes an issue almost immediatley after any mod, even a simple pulley / ECU tune.

The S is very quiet and comfortable when in the tame mode but can still burn it up when youfeel like it! Just select the sport tranny and shock settings and smash the gas!

Most overlooked is the weight difference. It ISN'T what you think, just over 200 lbs difference. That's your friend as a passenger! He gets out and you weigh the same as the two passenger E55! You are giving up a lot with an E without much in the way of performance gains.

Also I disagree on price differences expressed above. I found that E55 and S55s tend to be almost exactly the same price used for same year same milage cars.

I'd look for an 04, 03 was the first year for both SC cars and I always stay away from any first year models. I don;t know the specifics but I think Mercedes ided and fixed some things between 03 and 04.

I wouldn;t be scared of higher milage IF you have service records. Like a Porsche, maintenance is everything on these cars. Get therecords or walk away. BTW, a good delear will pull the history on any car up by VIN and if you ask nicely print it out for you. That way you will know everyhting that the car has ever had done to it by any MB delaer.

You do need to make a major decision either way , warranty or naked? If you go without a warranty you can see some hefty repair bills. I just paid almost $2700 for a new ABC pump (common S failure at about 65k miles). However, so far that's been it and I am two years in and would have had to pay about $4300 for a 3 yr 36k mile aftermarket warranty. It's a gamble you have to decide to take or not. BTW, every study I've ever read shows what you would expect, the warranty comapanies make a lot of money meaning most poeple do not have repairs equal to or greater than their warranty cost. That said, these were 95 to 125k cars new and one major repair can run thousands.

Good hunting!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:37 PM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Thanks Zachmac

I think I am going to continue looking for an S55. Sounds like the E55 is what I am trying to get away from.
Slim slim pickings though for the S55. I've google a lot to try to find one. The best place I have really found is auto trader and fleabay. But, I despise the idea of finding one on ebay. This isnt a car part. Its a freakin car. I guess I will sell something else to make up for the price difference of an 03 to an 04.

Can anyone confirm that the 03 is slightly more problematic or slightly more unreliable than the 04 on up?

Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
S55 for sale

Actually the S55 list for sale lower down in this section with 61k miles sounds pretty nice. It certainly has most all the bells and whistles as far as options. Yes it is a 2003 but by the tine you hit 60k miles most all the bugs have been sorted out.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 218 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
I have to agree generally with the responses here. I must admit my bias, as I'm driving an '06 S55. For me, after driving both, I realized I'm not a kid anymore, am not looking for a Boy Racer mobile, and am not throwing fine luxury cars through the slalom anymore. The S has all the power I'd ever want (and I can upgrade the pulleys if I want more), with a sophisticated grace that's unmatched. She's like a wind god on ice, she's so smooth. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
W221 s65 , w220 s55
i bought my 04 s55 3 weeks ago....test drove an e55 as well.....result for me.....s55 hands down..
Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 AM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Yeah, I think I saw that S55. Honestly, that is about the perfect car I am looking for with the exception the miles are slightly a little more than what I am looking for. However, I believe he said he does not believe it is equipped with smog equipment which would be required for here in Cali.

What to do what to do. Hmmm...
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g9s8r, I don't know what area of the country you are in. I know NorthCoast Auto sales in Cleveland has an '03 S55 with about 41k on it for under $25k. I'm not sure what the carfax looks like. They also have it listed on eBay, so you can see it (search "03 S55 Black). I bought the Allroad there. They're pros, but of course used cars is always a "caveat emptor" situation, so you still have to be diligent. They'll deliver it, pick you up from the Cleveland airport, etc.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 PM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Originally Posted by maw1124
g9s8r, I don't know what area of the country you are in. I know NorthCoast Auto sales in Cleveland has an '03 S55 with about 41k on it for under $25k. I'm not sure what the carfax looks like. They also have it listed on eBay, so you can see it (search "03 S55 Black). I bought the Allroad there. They're pros, but of course used cars is always a "caveat emptor" situation, so you still have to be diligent. They'll deliver it, pick you up from the Cleveland airport, etc.

How long have you had your Audi Allroad? I googled NCA and they don't have stellar reviews. I would be very hesitant doing business with them. What was your experience?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm a lawyer by trade, and they cut the mustard with me. I thought they were absolute pros. But I wasn't looking for them to do anything. Like, they weren't representing the car to me at all. It was a "what you see is what you get -- satisfy yourself" sort of thing. So I got my Audi dealer to give me a VMI on the car, and from that I could tell it was an Audi exec lease turn-in that had been pampered since original purchase. All NCA does is move volume, they're not selling you a car. If you're looking for service and reputation, yes you need to go elsewhere. But you have to hang a price tag on service and reputation to see what it's worth to you. I didn't need that from them. All I needed was to save money and I could take care of the car myself. I got the Allroad in early '07; no unexpected problems. I bought my S55 down the street from NCA, and the guys there had horror stories about them as well. Make no mistake, I've seen them list collision cars for sale. So you have to be able to protect yourself. If you can, you'll save a lot of money. If you cannot, you WILL get taken and have a bad experience. But that's the used car game generally. I approach it all like that. I hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm a lawyer by trade, and they cut the mustard with me. I thought they were absolute pros. But I wasn't looking for them to do anything. Like, they weren't representing the car to me at all. It was a "what you see is what you get -- satisfy yourself" sort of thing. So I got my Audi dealer to give me a VMI on the car, and from that I could tell it was an Audi exec lease turn-in that had been pampered since original purchase. All NCA does is move volume, they're not selling you a car. If you're looking for service and reputation, yes you need to go elsewhere. But you have to hang a price tag on service and reputation to see what it's worth to you. I didn't need that from them. All I needed was to save money and I could take care of the car myself. I got the Allroad in early '07; no unexpected problems. I bought my S55 down the street from NCA, and the guys there had horror stories about them as well. Make no mistake, I've seen them list collision cars for sale. So you have to be able to protect yourself. If you can, you'll save a lot of money. If you cannot, you WILL get taken and have a bad experience. But that's the used car game generally. I approach it all like that. I hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 PM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Yes, that does help. I guess I have a long way to go. I understand that I have to go into this with my own due diligence but...I still need to know what I am doing. I guess I have a lot of reading and research to do on the car!! Otherwise I might be getting into an expensive headache. . HEHE.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by g9s8r
Yes, that does help. I guess I have a long way to go. I understand that I have to go into this with my own due diligence but...I still need to know what I am doing. I guess I have a lot of reading and research to do on the car!! Otherwise I might be getting into an expensive headache. . HEHE.
part of that due diligence should be getting an independent mechanic (or maybe MB dealer?) to check the car thoroughly. Start looking for one near you.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Here! Here!!" to i am amused. An indy mechanic whom you trust is the sun of your universe in the used car game, in my opinion. Everything revolves around it. And also remember this -- my one piece of unsolicited advice: What you're buying is only partly a car. The other piece that you're buying is a maintenance and service history. Used Car Purchase = Auto + M/S History. People buy warranties to fill in the deficiency gaps on either side of the plus sign, what they don't know/trust about the car, and what they don't know/trust about the service history. But after you decide the car (E55 vs. S55 -- sounds like you're done with that part), you're really on the hunt for a service history that looks good for the price. And a good MB dealer who will run a VMI for you will help with this second piece. Happy Hunting!!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by maw1124
"Here! Here!!" to i am amused. An indy mechanic whom you trust is the sun of your universe in the used car game, in my opinion. Everything revolves around it. And also remember this -- my one piece of unsolicited advice: What you're buying is only partly a car. The other piece that you're buying is a maintenance and service history. Used Car Purchase = Auto + M/S History. People buy warranties to fill in the deficiency gaps on either side of the plus sign, what they don't know/trust about the car, and what they don't know/trust about the service history. But after you decide the car (E55 vs. S55 -- sounds like you're done with that part), you're really on the hunt for a service history that looks good for the price. And a good MB dealer who will run a VMI for you will help with this second piece. Happy Hunting!!
the indy that did my inspection called his guy at one of local MB dealers and had him pull the history. (it was pretty close to what carfax had, actually.) I seem to have found a good indy with good manufacturer/dealer contacts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some input S55 or E55