S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

A-pillar gauge mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55 AMG
A-pillar gauge mounts

Wondering if anyone knows if this has been done. I am looking at fabricating my own, but want to get some ideas. I've seen the one on the SL55 photoshoot. But I think I want to keep the look of factory material along the A-pillar. Thanks all.

Last edited by Triman2008; 01-22-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-22-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
o.k. in a camaro...but an S class with a pillar mount gauge cluster?? Hide them down low.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 PM

S55 AMG
Where down low.....I really don't know of good place to put them.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
holyjeezus

Fast 'n Furious, white courtesy phone please

Rock 'em in your Civic / Evo / Ram... big skip in the MB
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 AM

S55 AMG
So you are telling me, with performance upgrades, you would not want to manage fuel pressure, boost, or IAT, or even meth injection rates.....just because it's a "fast and furious" thing???? For me it's about monitoring, and keeping everything within limits, operating at safe levels, and making sure I don't melt the #8 cylinder. I have never thought gauges were "gay" or "ricer" looking. Sure, it can be done in a distasteful way, but done correctly, I believe it would be okay.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
the correct way to do this would be to swap out the command with a carputer or ipad or whatever the kids are using these days and have a "gauges" setting.

A pillar gauges are just all wrong for this kinda car.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM

opposite-lock...
Originally Posted by Triman2008
So you are telling me, with performance upgrades, you would not want to manage fuel pressure, boost, or IAT, or even meth injection rates.....just because it's a "fast and furious" thing???? For me it's about monitoring, and keeping everything within limits, operating at safe levels, and making sure I don't melt the #8 cylinder. I have never thought gauges were "gay" or "ricer" looking. Sure, it can be done in a distasteful way, but done correctly, I believe it would be okay.
_Negative_ ghostrider... what I wrote was not telling you that at all - your last 2 sentences are what I'm telling you. Not on the pillar.

The pillar is F&F, 10000% fersure.. especially stacked. One single SMALL gauge, tucked down as low to the dash and tastefuly grafted... go for it.

But... you prob need others, so I'd finagle a way to graft something into the ashtray / console storage bin. Not ideal line of sight, but also not sickingly distasteful 8-).

There's lots of options out there - get creative. Integrate stuff into the mirror or something, there's someone on here from Japan who did that but w/ like Nav or rear camera or something... but there is a way.

In my former 930 and //S6 lives, I integrated a few quite tastefully, and some of the guys got REALLY ingenuitive / McGuyveresque (integrated into cluster, etc)... put yer thinking cap on and look outside of the box.

Just tryin to help ya from lookin like a tool and desecrating a fine steed, is all 8-)...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 AM

S55 AMG
Understood, but like you said......not ideal for line of sight. I'm not saying I have to have them in a HUD, so I can see them 24/7......but to be able to take a glance without having to take my eyes off the road for an extended period would be nice. I agree that one small gauge tucked down in the a-pillar is good, but I need 3 gauges that I consider to be just as important - IAT's, boost, fuel pressure. I guess it's time to get that "thinking cap" out.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:14 AM

opposite-lock...
boost is the only one I've found to be more mandatory for LOS

IAT / EGT / FP can be 2ndary LOS

I tucked a pillar boost pod down low/tight on my //S6 and it looked pretty OK (note the intentional wording heh heh)

some guys even graft them into the vent... pretty trick... if you don't mind losing a vent 8-)

there are def creative solutions out there

good luck! Def share you results...