S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Oh happy day! ABC failure. . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh happy day! ABC failure. . .

Got the ABC failure warning today. The display tells me to "drive carefully" and take the car to the dealer. I assume I'm ok running a few errands around town today?

Actually, I'm pretty excited that it happened now. My CPO runs in September, so the repair will be on MB's dime!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Oh boy! I'm looking forward to reading what the dealer had to replace. My S55 is 'warranty challenged', so my diagnosis and repair - when that dreadful day arrives - will be painful. I feel like I've won the lottery every time I pull into the garage without an ABC error. LOL! Please, let us know what they find.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Uh oh, I hate to hear this from my evil twin car...I have the designo Mocha S55 in Nashvillle. Mine is a year older than yours....how many miles on yours?
Mike
Old 03-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
MB is so cheap typically they will not replace expensive parts until they go into total fail. They will try to "refilter" the ABC fluid sometimes unless the issue is very obvious.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the car back Friday. Pump, fluid and filter replaced to the tune of $2800. CPO paid for everything but the filter .
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
I replace the main ABC filter every 2 years whether it needs it or not. OP have documented how to do it. Run it for awhile and then check the level. Less is more, don't overfill.

When pressed the German instructor said 47000 kilometers filter change but this is a whisper recommendation based on his experience not the official interval.
FYI
Factory Techs recommends NOT doing a flush unless there is a pump, etc. Problem.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
Since my post I have an ABC issue on the passenger rear. After the car sits overnight, it is sagging over the tire which usually means the valve block assembly is at fault or the strut itself. I suppose I will take it to the stealer and get ready for big bill.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Stephen04E55
Since my post I have an ABC issue on the passenger rear. After the car sits overnight, it is sagging over the tire which usually means the valve block assembly is at fault or the strut itself. I suppose I will take it to the stealer and get ready for big bill.
You're probably right but have you checked the fluid level? What color is the ABC fluid? Has the car undergone big changes in your garage temperature as winter changes to spring? Are your tire pressures high? Have you tried running in Comfort mode rather than ABC Sport mode during cold weather? Try putting a clear heavy plastic sheet under the rear wheel area and check for leaks. As you know the Proper color of Petrosin fluid looks like extra virgin oil oil after it has been in the system for awhile. Do you cycle the level of the system occasionally?

( I had the same rear drop problem. I had the car in one of those tin storage garages for the winter while our garage was being finished that i sure went to or below freezing. My previous garage never went below 50f or above 60f. I drove the car in all C modes when i took it out of tin hut when the roads were clear. Just as the weather moderated, the right rear dropped. The storage facility required a plastic sheet under the cat, no leaks. I cycled the car when I got it back. The ABC fluid was 0.4 litre low. The problem went away. Cautious, As below, I had the ABC trained tech change the filter and do a full visual inspection. No problem. I think temps can have a big issue as well as extreme setting of tires and hitting potholes. I guess that ABC Comfort mode lowers the pressure during colder months so the line and systems' components are less taxed since I guess their materials are less elastic during cold weather. Good luck!)

Next step. If you're due for an a or b service make sure they have an ABC trained, most aren't no matter what they say, tech examine all the hoses, struts, levels, filters etc. For leaks cleanliness etc. "as preventative Maintenance" listed in the MB Service Procedure Sheet that I posted elsewhere, maybe the 215 sub forum. If they want to charge you extra for the inspection the ABC system is hydraulic and not excluded; it says all systems.

Finally there are WIS diagnostics that will identify the problem if there is one as OP have posted. I would ask to see them before opening your wallet.

If you search there is a post on WIS codes to du