S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Potential S55AMG with 50K Miles Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB S55 AMG
Potential S55AMG with 50K Miles Purchase

Guys,
Newbie here. I am just about to finalize a deal on a 2005 S55AMG with 45k miles on the clock. Seller is asking $32K for it.

Car is in excellent condition and the owner (original) has provided me with every single maintenance service record. Pretty detailed history actually, but I didnt really find anything extreme/ critical that made me nervous.

Anyway, I have a coupe of questions before I pull the plug on this one.

1) How do you feel about the $31k price. Is it pretty steep?
2) After reviewing the service history records, I was a little 'depressed' to see no documentation on ABC system at all. I mean, I know the dreaded ABC system is designed to fail and I was hoping to see atleast some work done on it. At 45k miles, do you think the system is safe as it is? At what mileage is it subject to fail anyway?
3) What are the other IMPORTANT items prone to the S55 functionality that you would suggest I check/verify?

I am pretty handy with garage mechanic tools and I have a general knowledge on how to go about fixing cars. However, I am planning on taking the car to the 'stealership' for a PPI but I believe it would defeat the purpose and it might be a total waste of time and/or money if the price is off and if I don't personally conduct a preliminary test on obvious and common issues associated with this car.

Before I take it in to the 'stealer' and I would really like to know what to look for to determine whether it is ideal to pursue it or not.

Any input (positive/ negative) will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 PM

MB S55 AMG
BUMP....

551 views but no input?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 GLK350 & S63, 2020 C63 & G63 and 2021 GLC63
I like my dealer - Fletcher Jones and is not a stealer. If you are buying a S55, the expenses will be higher than another MB car - as and when it needs to go in. Unless you find extended warranty for this car, I wouldn't recommend buying it.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
W221 s65 , w220 s55
U defffff need extended warranty ... I have had my s55 for 4 years n I just re upped my warranty just to let u know in the last 4 years warranty paid out $18000 including car rental ... Other than that try to get it under 30k or get a good warranty involved in the deal ... I have fidelity platinum just so u know .
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
$32K sounds like a lot to me. I bought my 2006 with 81K miles for 24.5K and it was a one owner with meticulous records. 45K miles is pretty low too though, so it would depend on what records and how the ABC suspension was serviced.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM

Check this thread for general W220 information: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tart-here.html

IMO, a warranty of some kind is a must unless you're independently wealthy. Contact Bruce Mendel ("Becks Imports") here for a quote.

Sent you a pm.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM

2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
In my opinion the $31K is too high...I did 6 months of shopping first but bought my 2005 18 months ago with 52K miles for $25.5K...it was (is) in Perfect condition and is also a designo model....I would say $27-28K should be the going price for your car....only S65 should be over $30K.
My brother in law bought a 2004 model last year with 62K miles and paid $27K.
Of course some markets cause higher prices...Dallas and Atlanta offer southern climates and the lowest prices in my opinion....mine came from Atlanta.
Plan on $1500 for new tires and any additional costs for fluid flushes... DIY will still be $500+ to do the ABC and tranny.
I do not have any type of warranty, but have worked on my MB cars for 20 years.
I plan on keeping my S55 for the next 20 years.
Mike
Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Ford Fusion
Originally Posted by PKAMG
Guys,
Newbie here. I am just about to finalize a deal on a 2005 S55AMG with 45k miles on the clock. Seller is asking $32K for it.

Car is in excellent condition and the owner (original) has provided me with every single maintenance service record. Pretty detailed history actually, but I didnt really find anything extreme/ critical that made me nervous.

Anyway, I have a coupe of questions before I pull the plug on this one.

1) How do you feel about the $31k price. Is it pretty steep?
2) After reviewing the service history records, I was a little 'depressed' to see no documentation on ABC system at all. I mean, I know the dreaded ABC system is designed to fail and I was hoping to see atleast some work done on it. At 45k miles, do you think the system is safe as it is? At what mileage is it subject to fail anyway?
3) What are the other IMPORTANT items prone to the S55 functionality that you would suggest I check/verify?

I am pretty handy with garage mechanic tools and I have a general knowledge on how to go about fixing cars. However, I am planning on taking the car to the 'stealership' for a PPI but I believe it would defeat the purpose and it might be a total waste of time and/or money if the price is off and if I don't personally conduct a preliminary test on obvious and common issues associated with this car.

Before I take it in to the 'stealer' and I would really like to know what to look for to determine whether it is ideal to pursue it or not.

Any input (positive/ negative) will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Another option for an extended warranty is Mercury Insurance Group. You can quote your vehicle at www.extended-vehicle-warranty.com and download the sample contract to review coverage details. Or feel free to shoot me an email and I can help you out. Good luck!
Michelle
michelle@auto-pom.com
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55K AMG
The service interval that MB recommends on the ABC is what I feel contributes to the pump failure. If you end up purchasing this vehicle, I would recommend that you change the ABC fluid, filters and rodeo (not just the filters and rodeo as Mb recommends). I also just did my supercharger oil as I cannot believe that there is anything as lifetime oil. I do not have a warranty, and am not sorry that I didn't originally purchase one, but be prepared, there is nothing cheap on an S class, especially an AMG S class.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM

2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Originally Posted by boost420
The service interval that MB recommends on the ABC is what I feel contributes to the pump failure. If you end up purchasing this vehicle, I would recommend that you change the ABC fluid, filters and rodeo (not just the filters and rodeo as Mb recommends). I also just did my supercharger oil as I cannot believe that there is anything as lifetime oil. I do not have a warranty, and am not sorry that I didn't originally purchase one, but be prepared, there is nothing cheap on an S class, especially an AMG S class.
I agree totally with Boost420...and I can relate with the experiences that I have had with other top of the line Mercedes from the past...the 300SEL 6.3 models had air suspension in 1968, it was state if the art then, and was and is still a real pain in the *** expensive to maintain, the W100 600 Limousines in the early 1960's had Air suspension and hydraulic windows and doors...all part of driving the best cars in the world..if you cant afford drive a new one (like me for instance, have never had a new Mercedes) you get the used ones and keep fixing things as needed...it still is much much better than driving a lesser car.
My two cents.
Mike
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by jwalther
Check this thread for general W220 information: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tart-here.html

IMO, a warranty of some kind is a must unless you're independently wealthy. Contact Bruce Mendel ("Becks Imports") here for a quote.

Sent you a pm.
Originally Posted by mrbenzes
In my opinion the $31K is too high...I did 6 months of shopping first but bought my 2005 18 months ago with 52K miles for $25.5K...it was (is) in Perfect condition and is also a designo model....I would say $27-28K should be the going price for your car....only S65 should be over $30K.
My brother in law bought a 2004 model last year with 62K miles and paid $27K.
Of course some markets cause higher prices...Dallas and Atlanta offer southern climates and the lowest prices in my opinion....mine came from Atlanta.
Plan on $1500 for new tires and any additional costs for fluid flushes... DIY will still be $500+ to do the ABC and tranny.
I do not have any type of warranty, but have worked on my MB cars for 20 years.
I plan on keeping my S55 for the next 20 years.
Mike

I agree with both of these guys..... Bruce IS the one to contact for warranty. Many of us have used him.

And the price seems a bit higher than it should be. I got my perfect condition S600 V12TT, one owner with 31k miles for $28k. Original MSRP was $126,600.
So that tells me your seller is high........be patient. The right car and deal will come along. Patience will allow you to buy the right car without the pressure of
rushing into a less than perfect situation.

-Chris

Last edited by Vabene7; 07-16-2012 at 05:57 PM.