S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2008 S63 advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 S63 advice

I am looking to purchase a certified 2008 S63 with 32K miles. Anything in particular I should look out for? Although it is a certified car, I want to make sure that I cover all my bases. It comes with 1 yr certification and I can get the car for 47K. I can add 2 more years for the certification for an additional 4K or so. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
W221 s65 , w220 s55
Def get the extra 2 years .
Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 AM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Originally Posted by rockykhan
Def get the extra 2 years .
I have the same car and got it at 50k miles. I bought the extended warranty for $5650 or so for 5 extra years or 100K miles (or 120k, can't remember).

In any case, it cost $8k in repairs the first month (first 2 weeks). DEFINITELY GET THAT WARRANTY!!!

I paid $47500 for mine. LOVE THIS CAR but it's a total freakin' boat compared to my 2001 740i Sport.

Tough to park in the city but I don't care. I adore the way it looks.

Congrats! Pics??????????????
Old 03-12-2014, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by stever500
I have the same car and got it at 50k miles. I bought the extended warranty for $5650 or so for 5 extra years or 100K miles (or 120k, can't remember).

In any case, it cost $8k in repairs the first month (first 2 weeks). DEFINITELY GET THAT WARRANTY!!!

I paid $47500 for mine. LOVE THIS CAR but it's a total freakin' boat compared to my 2001 740i Sport.

Tough to park in the city but I don't care. I adore the way it looks.

Congrats! Pics??????????????
Car sold... Been sitting on the lot for 58 days. I come in at 5PM on a Sunday, make an appointment to get car the next day, and some dude comes in 30 min later that evening and buys it.... Not meant to be I guess. The search continues. Now I think I should get an 09 instead.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:30 AM

Also considering a 2012 A8. can be had for roughly the same money as an 09 S63. Different animal, less poser but feels decent and pretty agile. Interior is way better in terms of tech.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S55 2002 Brabus E430
Originally Posted by orys
Also considering a 2012 A8. can be had for roughly the same money as an 09 S63. Different animal, less poser but feels decent and pretty agile. Interior is way better in terms of tech.

Coming from someone that services Euro's--- Get the MB! The fit and finish and longevity thereof in the Mercedes is FAR superior than it is on the VAG cars (Audi/VW). Do research on major engine problems and expenses etc. on an AMG engine vs. Audi engine which by the way puts all their timing gear on the rear part of the engine so if needs any work (timing chain guides, rails etc.) the engine will need to be removed! We have seen a LOT of AMG cars over the years and sadly a lot of the cars have traded hands many times and been neglected in regards to maintenance etc. But the engines just don't fail! I believe that hands down Mercedes Benz in particular the AMG engines are the best made! Hope this helps you. If you get an extra/aftermarket warranty make sure that it covers seals and gaskets and rubber suspension components and electronics. If not...don't bother with it if it's a "running gear" coverage.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by SLE Derek
Coming from someone that services Euro's--- Get the MB! The fit and finish and longevity thereof in the Mercedes is FAR superior than it is on the VAG cars (Audi/VW). Do research on major engine problems and expenses etc. on an AMG engine vs. Audi engine which by the way puts all their timing gear on the rear part of the engine so if needs any work (timing chain guides, rails etc.) the engine will need to be removed! We have seen a LOT of AMG cars over the years and sadly a lot of the cars have traded hands many times and been neglected in regards to maintenance etc. But the engines just don't fail! I believe that hands down Mercedes Benz in particular the AMG engines are the best made! Hope this helps you. If you get an extra/aftermarket warranty make sure that it covers seals and gaskets and rubber suspension components and electronics. If not...don't bother with it if it's a "running gear" coverage.
Hey thanks so much for your advice! In your opinion, if an S63 is sold as certified by an MB dealer, does that mean all maintenance has been done and that the car doesn't need anything? I am looking at a certified 09 S63 with 34K miles. Anything to look out for? Should I have an independant mechanic look at it? This particular car has been modified a bit, all chrome has been blacked out and it runs on 21' brabus monoblock rims with spacers....
Old 03-13-2014, 01:11 PM

Hey thanks so much for your advice! In your opinion, if an S63 is sold as certified by an MB dealer, does that mean all maintenance has been done and that the car doesn't need anything? I am looking at a certified 09 S63 with 34K miles. Anything to look out for? Should I have an independant mechanic look at it? This particular car has been modified a bit, all chrome has been blacked out and it runs on 21' brabus monoblock rims with spacers....

Generally speaking a CPO car is an excellent choice to buy. The stipulations for them to be able to sell the car as CPO are high. I would definitely recommend an Independent shop inspects the car. The wrapping on the chrome shouldn't effect anything and same goes for the wheels as long as there are no vibrations etc when driving/braking. I would make sure that the shop that does the inspection runs a quick test on all the systems to see if there are faults anywhere (either current or stored). Most likely with a CPO car you wont find anything but it's always good to check.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Generally speaking a CPO car is an excellent choice to buy. The stipulations for them to be able to sell the car as CPO are high. I would definitely recommend an Independent shop inspects the car. The wrapping on the chrome shouldn't effect anything and same goes for the wheels as long as there are no vibrations etc when driving/braking. I would make sure that the shop that does the inspection runs a quick test on all the systems to see if there are faults anywhere (either current or stored). Most likely with a CPO car you wont find anything but it's always good to check.
Good to know. They won't let me take the car out so I guess I would need to bring the mechanic in to see the car. Not sure if to purchase the additional 2 years certification from MB. It is approximately 5K and I might be better off with an aftermarket warranty?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Good to know. They won't let me take the car out so I guess I would need to bring the mechanic in to see the car. Not sure if to purchase the additional 2 years certification from MB. It is approximately 5K and I might be better off with an aftermarket warranty?
Wow..that's not a good sign. Are they nervous something might be found?? Ask them if they will deliver and pick up to the indy then. Sorry but that's a huge red flag to me. Generally speaking the CPO is better than any aftermarket company and here's why. If you go into a MB dealer with an issue it's fixed (as long as it's covered) with no questions or out of pocket money from you (or very minimal). With an aftermarket warranty they will only pay national list on parts and sometimes they will want to supply parts (meaning...USED parts) if it's an expensive part. So, with an aftermarket warranty it's very common where you'll have to pay the difference in parts and labor covered plus deductible. Those costs can add up especially when in comparison with CPO warranty. Dealer bills MB USA for all the parts installed and all the labor (no used parts will be used!). Now, used parts aren't all that bad in some cases (we all have our precious AMG cars and God forbid we put a USED part in it LOL ) but it's really far and few between when you want to get used parts.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Wow..that's not a good sign. Are they nervous something might be found?? Ask them if they will deliver and pick up to the indy then. Sorry but that's a huge red flag to me. Generally speaking the CPO is better than any aftermarket company and here's why. If you go into a MB dealer with an issue it's fixed (as long as it's covered) with no questions or out of pocket money from you (or very minimal). With an aftermarket warranty they will only pay national list on parts and sometimes they will want to supply parts (meaning...USED parts) if it's an expensive part. So, with an aftermarket warranty it's very common where you'll have to pay the difference in parts and labor covered plus deductible. Those costs can add up especially when in comparison with CPO warranty. Dealer bills MB USA for all the parts installed and all the labor (no used parts will be used!). Now, used parts aren't all that bad in some cases (we all have our precious AMG cars and God forbid we put a USED part in it LOL ) but it's really far and few between when you want to get used parts.
Good point. If I brought a mechanic to see the car will he be able to assess the car properly without much equipment? Honestly, this whole S63 idea is starting to loose its luster... so many risks involved not to mention the horrible MPG
Old 03-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Good point. If I brought a mechanic to see the car will he be able to assess the car properly without much equipment? Honestly, this whole S63 idea is starting to loose its luster... so many risks involved not to mention the horrible MPG
I understand that. AMG and fuel mileage shouldn't be used in the same sentence :P
Old 03-14-2014, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
If the dealer does not know you, I can understand the reluctance to let the car go.
Ask the dealer to give you the history print out on the car from the VIN number.
If it is a CPO, then not much to worry about. Do get an extended and do your homework by comparing what the dealer offers and what other companies give you.
The S8 is under rated (if it has the V8 TT) and I would venture to say it is faster that the S63. Interior is superior and with a warranty, you'll be fine. That would be my pick.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65

If you're concerned about the MPG, then this is NOT the car for you....lol
Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by emericr
If the dealer does not know you, I can understand the reluctance to let the car go.
Ask the dealer to give you the history print out on the car from the VIN number.
If it is a CPO, then not much to worry about. Do get an extended and do your homework by comparing what the dealer offers and what other companies give you.
The S8 is under rated (if it has the V8 TT) and I would venture to say it is faster that the S63. Interior is superior and with a warranty, you'll be fine. That would be my pick.
The S8 is 100k used. I was looking at a 2012 A8 for roughly the same price as a 2009 s63. however, someone here commented that the A8 shelf life is shorter and the engine is a pain to work on. I would say the even though it's only 375hp, it's an impressive car.