S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S500 V8 Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S500
S500 V8 Turbo ?

Hello there,
I'm looking to purchase an S500 V8 with the M113 for many reasons: I love the look of the car and good interior for the age, cheap, can be daily driven, very reliable, comfortable, good audio system for the age, so yeah, its a very versatile car...and of course for the V8!
My project would be to turbo it, yeah I know this question comes often and people gets bashed when the idea comes out, the engine is reliable and can take boost, I'm not sure about the gearbox, but its the same gearbox that has been used in SLR and some others torquey MB cars from what I could see, so pretty sure the gearbox is solid, in any case it would break, I would switch it to a GS6-53DZ which I already have as spare.
But I just have one important question, is there any space to mount a front turbo (don't like the rear mount idea too much) in the W220 engine bay ? The hood looks big, but I know these V8's can be big, and haven't had the chance to check it by myself in real person.
Thanks !

Last edited by Xanathos; 01-31-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts
222 S-65
Where's the face palm smiley?

A 'fun project' is one that gets finished.

OK so you like the 220 chassis.

Want a bent eight car that rips, came with real brakes from the factory and has a transmission that holds up?

I gently suggest that you look to the S-55 that came from the factory with a supercharged 5.5 liter bent eight, has a nice interior et al that Mercedes did the development work on. Turn it up when you feel the need.

Last edited by JohnLane; 02-01-2019 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 04:22 PM

W220 S500
Originally Posted by JohnLane
Where's the face palm smiley?

A 'fun project' is one that gets finished.

OK so you like the 220 chassis.

Want a bent eight car that rips, came with real brakes from the factory and has a transmission that holds up?

I gently you look to the S-55 that came from the factory with a supercharged 5.5 liter bent eight, has a nice interior et al that Mercedes did the development work on. Turn it up when you feel the need.
A project is something you have to make plans and think for before eventually throwing yourself in.
And there is no fun of getting an all ready car, for the budget of an S55, I'd rather spend the money for the turbo project.
Besides, I wouldn't be happy with the power output from factory with the S55.
Thanks for the tips though.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
Originally Posted by Xanathos
A project is something you have to make plans and think for before eventually throwing yourself in.
And there is no fun of getting an all ready car, for the budget of an S55, I'd rather spend the money for the turbo project.
Besides, I wouldn't be happy with the power output from factory with the S55.
Thanks for the tips though.
Do the math for what it will take to build one right, allow ten cents an hour for your time and trouble....

You are many thousands of dollars ahead starting with an S-55. Want it to go faster? Others have already done it.... Which means you get to benefit from all the junk they blew up developing something that works. S-55 can be made to go real good. Not enough for you? Find an S-65 and make it a monster. In either case you have a real starting point. Be sure to figure more brakes into the equation as a car that MB limited to 130 for good reason will need more when it can quickly get to 170.... Oh the S-55 and S-65 came with more brakes. Hmmmmm....

Many of us started projects with stars in our eyes that for all the reasons that life throws at us end as a parts car + pile of expensive parts and hundreds of hours screwing around with it tossed aside when she got pregnant.... The house needs a roof.... Someone gets sick.... Priorities change.

Your project... Your choices. The sooner you are thrashing on it on the road the more fun it will be.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:59 PM

W220 S500

Do the math for what it will take to build one right, allow ten cents an hour for your time and trouble....

You are many thousands of dollars ahead starting with an S-55. Want it to go faster? Others have already done it.... Which means you get to benefit from all the junk they blew up developing something that works. S-55 can be made to go real good. Not enough for you? Find an S-65 and make it a monster. In either case you have a real starting point. Be sure to figure more brakes into the equation as a car that MB limited to 130 for good reason will need more when it can quickly get to 170.... Oh the S-55 and S-65 came with more brakes. Hmmmmm....

Many of us started projects with stars in our eyes that for all the reasons that life throws at us end as a parts car + pile of expensive parts and hundreds of hours screwing around with it tossed aside when she got pregnant.... The house needs a roof.... Someone gets sick.... Priorities change.

Your project... Your choices. The sooner you are thrashing on it on the road the more fun it will be.
The V12 is heavy, and I hate understeer. V8 offers an acceptable compromise.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
The V12 is heavy, and I hate understeer. V8 offers an acceptable compromise.
Hmmmmm..... I've got a $20.00 bill that I'll lay on the table in a bet saying you've yet to drive an S-65 in a fashion that will test the limits of adhesion.
Have you abused an S-55 for it's handling?

I drive my S-65 daily and can assure you that of it's list of issues; Understeer is not among them. My nits to pick with it being lack of brakes and not coming with a limited slip from the factory. Yes; first world problems. That and I'd love for it to be at least 1500lbs less portly. Alas... She's a powerful fattie that is shockingly entertaining when being a savage.

Best wishes with your project.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:41 PM

W220 S500

Hmmmmm..... I've got a $20.00 bill that I'll lay on the table in a bet saying you've yet to drive an S-65 in a fashion that will test the limits of adhesion.
Have you abused an S-55 for it's handling?

I drive my S-65 daily and can assure you that of it's list of issues; Understeer is not among them. My nits to pick with it being lack of brakes and not coming with a limited slip from the factory. Yes; first world problems. That and I'd love for it to be at least 1500lbs less portly. Alas... She's a powerful fattie that is shockingly entertaining when being a savage.

Best wishes with your project.
No you're right, never tried it.
What are the cons of it from your point of view?
I'm not closed to new ideas I like to hear about people thoughts specially people who have experience with their own cars.
Handling is an important criteria for me, as I have many windy roads here and love them (although I have my Mazda RX-7 for that) and it's not really the point of a daily but still want a decent chassis.
Also how would you compare the fuel economy VS the V8, shouldn't have a big difference since displacement is close, right?
Old 02-01-2019, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 208 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
The cons are you’ll never be able to do a S500 turbo project as well as MB AMG did the supercharged S55. Full stop. You’re wasting your time and mental energy. Go drive a supercharged 55 with a blown M113 at 4300lbs that feels jumpier than a Prius but also turns and stops better than a S500 ever will, and if you’re still thinking about your project after that, you can have John’s $20.

Also, the S600 is a turbo charged W220, although nowhere near as reliable as the S55, due to the coil packs and ignition modules it likes to eat for breakfast.

maw

P.S. When I was younger and new to the game, I thought about buying an E36M Cabrio, or a E320 Cabrio, both with a turbo “project” in mind to get to a 4-seater Cabrio with real power, sort of like the E36 AMG Cabrio that never came to the USA. Then I came to my senses... “what the **** am I doing?!?! That’s a science project, and a stupid one at that.” So I bought an E46M Cabrio that came stock over 330hp, with BMW Motorsport R&D and warranty to boot. MUCH better decision.

Last edited by maw1124; 02-05-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
OP for real handling toss the RX-7 and reach for an M3 or M5 to be going much faster when leaving the road! E-55 is hilarious as well. I'm too big to comfortably fit in any C-Class and thus have never thrashed one.

As for S-55 VS S-65... Maw notes above that the bent-12 cars have had issues with coil packs and ignition modules. Both issues have work arounds that are not the end of the world. When that stuff fails... Fix it right and issue is gone for a long time. My car is a 221 chassis car which has many improvements over how it went with the 220 cars. ABC is not being an issue in it for example.... Though I shudder at having now said as much. Gasp!
S-55's bent eight will have you replacing individual coils as they fail one at a time. Less to spend on them but eight coils. Happens. I ended up replacing all eight coils in my E-55 after dealing with four of them failing within a year. The bent eight seems easier to find oil leaks and keep from leaking oil... Though the six liter bent-12 in my car is utterly dry since replacing it after it spit a main bearing shell into the chains which made the original (leaking oil) engine to be an expensive boat anchor. The main bearing doing that is said to be a rarity so I'm the lucky one! Engine was a treat to do and far from free. Radiator cracked where they always do a month or so later.

I say say this with a straight face.... If fuel economy is a consideration in your choice of S-65 vs S-55.... Go shopping for a veg-o-matic four cylinder putt-putt. There is sooooo much more to life then good fuel economy! I have when being a savage managed 5.5mpg over a 120 mile trip in my car. Yes, a fuel stop during that trip. Money well spent! It manages 18-22 on the freeway if cruise can get set at 90 and left lane trolls are at a minimum. My E-55 managed 22-24 on longer trips. The 211 E-500 managed 26 on the road for a 208 mile round trip daily commute. Keep in mind that my driving is never with an eye on hypermiling my MPG's. I enjoy all the sensations that go along with letting the horses run and do so daily.
If your going to buy a 220 Chassis car get the last year of the series. Buy the best loved car you can find. If you can swing it... Be sure that you can as they all need the repairs and maintenance that goes along with a car that cost six figures when new and is not a Toyota... Get a 221 car.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^ all great advice OP. I'm a little guy, so W221 was and is too big for me. Don't like wrestling big girls around, beds or roads. But I think you have your answer if you want a turbo W220. Good luck.

maw
Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 AM

W220 S500
Today, I came across with a very clean CL55 AMG with 50k on the clock for 5K, I think thats a bargain for that price.
I might buy it, change supercharger pulley, tune ECU, change exhaust, to get 600hp, and call it a day.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Today, I came across with a very clean CL55 AMG with 50k on the clock for 5K, I think thats a bargain for that price.
I might buy it, change supercharger pulley, tune ECU, change exhaust, to get 600hp, and call it a day.
Year?

maw
Old 02-03-2019, 08:55 AM

W220 S500
Originally Posted by maw1124

Year?

maw
Just checked the car, it's a 2000, so no supercharger
Old 02-03-2019, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Also, the S600 is a turbo charged V8 W220, although nowhere near as reliable as the S55, due to the coil packs and ignition modules it likes to eat for breakfast.
maw
I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from, but the coils and ignition modules do not constantly fail on the V12TT. If you know of examples of new coil setups continuing to fail, please share. I think there were problems with people trying to do the coil repair kits. Also, it was a problem for a while prior to MB upgrading the coils. I've had my car nearly 10 years only replacing the older part# stock coils once, shortly after an ECU tune. That was 8-9 years ago. There are 8 extra plugs that add to extra cost, but overall, not a reliability issue.

I suggest the OP patiently tries to drive all models to determine desired power delivery and what car feels the best. Everyone is different.

I also agree there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, considering the power available in both AMG models and the potential of a tuned 600. These are much more reliable options to consider for a daily driver than a 1 off turbo build.

None of the S class cars will be a car to throw around. The long wheel base gives you a great ride. The ABC suspension allows a heavy car to feel nimble as a cruiser. Don't think a maintenance free coil over conversion will keep you planted at high speeds. I think this becomes a big step backwards.

Good luck moving toward.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I call coils and modules a reliability issue. If you want to call it a maintenance issue, I guess that’s ok. It’s your experience.

I’ve known maybe a dozen 65 owners over 10 years, all of which have had coil pack issues. That’s 100%, literally. Figure 3 or 4 have had multiple episodes. About 1/2 of them have also had transmission issues (rebuilds, conductor plates). And I’ll assume for this purpose that ABC issues are the same in 65 v 55 cars, although since the 65s are heavier, that’s probably not true. Finally, some of these were SL and CL cars, not all SClass. Your experience vs mine confirms this — you’ve done coil packs, I have never had to think about mine, in roughly the same period of ownership.

So maybe it’s debatable whether it’s a reliability or maintenance issue, or how bad it is “overall” in whatever context you want to debate about, but the fact is it’s an issue on 65s but not 55s.

maw
Old 02-04-2019, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
I call coils and modules a reliability issue. If you want to call it a maintenance issue, I guess that’s ok. It’s your experience.

I’ve known maybe a dozen 65 owners over 10 years, all of which have had coil pack issues. That’s 100%, literally. Figure 3 or 4 have had multiple episodes. About 1/2 of them have also had transmission issues (rebuilds, conductor plates). And I’ll assume for this purpose that ABC issues are the same in 65 v 55 cars, although since the 65s are heavier, that’s probably not true. Finally, some of these were SL and CL cars, not all SClass. Your experience vs mine confirms this — you’ve done coil packs, I have never had to think about mine, in roughly the same period of ownership.

So maybe it’s debatable whether it’s a reliability or maintenance issue, or how bad it is “overall” in whatever context you want to debate about, but the fact is it’s an issue on 65s but not 55s.

maw
Over the last 10 years many of the V12TT cars have had faulty coils replaced we are both on the same page with that. Most of which were original coils that came new on the car. Having a coil pack failure on one cylinder still results in the need to replace the entire coil for that side or bank of the car. Sometimes in the process of failing a weak coil bank can result in burning up the iginition module. There is no real way to determine the fault when it only comes up as a misfire code. It seems when the ECUs are tuned it put alot more stress on the original type coils(older part number) and many failed. The old coils with a tune were not reliable. There were many threads on this in past.

However, moving forward my experience with my own car and what I have heard from others regarding repeat replacement differs from what you have heard. I don't remember hearing of any repeat failures after installing new coils and igintion modules. That would be the one time fix . If you know of 3-4 thanks for sharing, I'll keep that in mind. The problem I have is, besides yourself, many others just repeat that they constantly fail. To say they eat them for breakfast is not accurate. I have enjoyed my car at a bunch of different types of events. Several 0-60MPH under 3 seconds on the drag strip and a handful of top speeds over 185MPH. If anyone should be burning up coils it should be me.

In regards to the heavier engine of the 65 placing more stress on the ABC, again it sounds like guessing. By that same rational, it would be safe to say all S-class ABC cars must fail more than the CL-class and the SLs the least based on body weight alone. That is not the case. Alot of the ABC failure has to do with maintainence, and fluid flush along with several other factors.

I don't see the V12TTs transmission to be less reliable. Its basically the same 722.6 trans as the 55s. It can get beat up with more torque, if driven that way, but that does not make it unreliable.

Hopefully the OP can make a wise decision with the extra info. Driving all and being aware of all the possible costs is huge. These cars are not cheap daily drivers, but are very enjoyable to drive.
maw1124 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fair points. “Eat them for breakfast” is a bit hyperbolic. And of course ABC is probably all maintenance — as I said, I can’t believe the extra weight helps but I also can’t prove it hurts. I’m having a robust conversation about the transmissions elsewhere, because people think they handle 1000 lb ft of torque, when in reality they handle 1000Nm (738 lb ft), so the tunes push them over their limits. I think Kleeman pushes to 862 lb ft, and people wonder why their transmissions fail. This is why RENNtech recommends to beef up your transmission with your tune -- of course for a fee. This is also why the Black Series SL has more hp but not more tq.

I digress. OP has his answers.

maw

Last edited by maw1124; 02-05-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The updated coil packs seem to be reliable. Neither of them failed on the SL or CL V12 bi-turbo models I've owned.

Last edited by BlownV8; 02-05-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
I'm tickled that the previous owner 'got to' replace coil packs and module in my car... Perhaps that was the straw that broke the camel's back! Updated parts have had zero issues in the 25,000 miles I've enjoyed it.

Now to get to the bottom of why COMMAND shuts off over and over. Annoying!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlownV8
The updated coil packs seem to be reliable. Neither of them failed on the SL or CL V12 bi-turbo models I've owned.
This is all news to me. Good news, but news all the same. When were these updated coils made available, and has anyone run them over, say 5 years and 50k miles? I’m not looking to discredit them. To the contrary, I’ve considered the 65 cars for years. I knew they updated the ignition system for the W222 chassis, but hadn’t been aware of any reliable solution for previous chassis cars.

maw
Old 02-06-2019, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
222 cars got a coil for each cylinder. About time!

Now if only MB would give the bent-12 the cylinder head of the current inline six....

maw1124 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Thread waste of time, OP will not turbo an S500. no one has. for a reason
Old 02-06-2019, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350

This is all news to me. Good news, but news all the same. When were these updated coils made available, and has anyone run them over, say 5 years and 50k miles? I’m not looking to discredit them. To the contrary, I’ve considered the 65 cars for years. I knew they updated the ignition system for the W222 chassis, but hadn’t been aware of any reliable solution for previous chassis cars.

maw
Yes, my SL has over 100k miles and around half of that was on new coil packs.