S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

MY2020 C217 order spec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
MY2020 C217 order spec

Going forward tomorrow with a 2020 assuming I can negotiate about 7% off, which I think is do-able (was offered 6.5% off a new order through an independent dealer a while back). This spec comes in just under $200,000 excluding delivery. I'm skipping the carbon fiber (seems out of place on a 2+ ton luxury cruiser, and isn't visible enough on a black car to justify the cost), the new-for-2020 Aerodynamics package (just a larger front splitter and thin rear deck lip in carbon fiber), and MagicSky (cool but kind of pointless with the shade).

I had disavowed black cars in the past, but modern ceramic coatings have changed everything. Upon delivery, I'll instruct the dealer to not touch the paint then have my detailer do any necessary factory paint correction, apply PPF to all impact areas, and then ceramic coat the hell out of the entire exterior.

Any comments/suggestions before I pull the trigger ? Pictures are from the MB German site, it is the 2020 model although they have yet to update the graphics to show the U88 steering wheel buttons.

MY20 S63C4 ($171,400)
040 Black (n/c)
568 designo Crystal Grey/Black Exclusive Nappa leather ($3,250)
H16 designo Black Piano Lacquer "Flowing Lines" wood ($1,300)
P34 designo Exclusive Upholstery Code (n/c)
61U Black DINAMICA Headliner (n/c)
RTR 20-inch AMG forged cross-spoke, silver ($1,700)
B07 AMG High-Performance Ceramic Composite Braking System ($8,950)
U88 AMG Drive Unit Steering Wheel Buttons ($400)
U24 AMG Exclusive Floor Mats (n/c)
DA2 Driver Assistance Package ($2,250)
811 Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound system ($6,400)
5U5 Headlamps with Swarovski crystal accents ($1,750)
610 Night View Assist PLUS ($2,260)
Destination/Delivery ($995)

The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I thought there was some reason you cant have sw headlites and night view togather.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:03 AM

2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Originally Posted by okbarnett
I thought there was some reason you cant have sw headlites and night view togather.
Just the opposite, Nightvision is a mandatory option with the Swarovski lamps.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:57 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe
Great set up! Have considered night package?
Old 09-07-2019, 06:57 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Great config, it looks almost like my MY19 S63 convertible spec

Good choice to go for Uni Black (040), my previous one was Obsedian Black (metallic) and next to each other, you see the uni 040 black is darker, deeper black! And NOT going for carbon or Nightpackage is extra bonus in looks imho (the more contrast the better imho).

Good combination with the silver (RTR) wheels, extra reason not to go for the Nightpackage for more contrast around the exterior.

Interior in Crystal Grey is also great, especially in combination with Piano Black panels. I would go for the ones WITHOUT flowing lines, however, it then resembles the exterior color and without lines it looks more balanced imho!

Finally I would go for the Silver Grey headlining instead of Black, because that makes the car feel lighter/larger from the inside and is good match with the Silver Grey leather.

Enjoy!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Love it!
811 is totally worth it.
I like the CF trim in my 2019 better than the piano lacquer in my 2017 because the piano scratches if you look at it. Why they still used piano on the horizontal surfaces of the CF trim, I’ll never understand.
And I love my porcelain headliner, but it gets dirty fast in the cab.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
How much will your detailer charge for all of that?
Old 09-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
SL550
Quite an interesting spec! Keep us updated!
Old 09-07-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jbattan
How much will your detailer charge for all of that?
Assuming it doesn't need much paint correction (MB paint tends to be fairly good and free of defects) about $2500 for bumpers, rocker panels, and hood. Whole car PPF would be about double the price, not worth it on a black car since rock chips and minor impact damage are rare outside of those areas and paint will be fairly easy to match. Whole car PPF would be about double the price, I did it in the McLaren which has a three-stage paint. Then another $1000 or so for ceramic coating and about $500 for tint. So detailer bill will be around $4000.

Agree the 811 is a must-have! When I was looking for pre-owned S63 Coupes back in 2016, I didn't consider any without it.

Piano black is definitely easy to scratch. I have the carbon fiber trim now but without any exterior carbon figured I'd pass on it and save some bucks. I like the look of the pinstripes too, adds some interest to the plain black.

I'm surprised the crystal grey interior is not a more popular choice, being light it reflects heat (which is important here in AZ). Yet is dark enough so it doesn't require excessive care or maintenance like Porcelain. It can look grey or nearly white depending on the lighting. Plus the lower areas, carpet, and steering wheel - all areas that will get dirty and/or get heavy wear - are black unlike the Porcelain interiors. You can choose the crystal grey or black DINAMICA headliner with the Crystal Grey interior. I have the grey now but was leaning towards black next time around just to change it up.

As far as night package, I like the high contrast between the black paint and chrome-finished trim and tips. On the pre-facelift cars, the trim was brushed silver and looked fairly cheap to me, I had it wrapped in carbon fiber look vinyl. And strangely the night package does not black out the window trim... seems like an oversight by MB, although easy enough to do with vinyl or paint to get the murdered-out, full black car like in the pic below, which definitely looks sinister! Should I grow tired of the chrome everything can be blacked-out with gloss black vinyl for probably less than the night package costs, other than the wheels which would have to be powder-coated or swapped out.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 09-07-2019 at 09:56 PM.
jbattan (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:40 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Heisenberg
I'm surprised the crystal grey interior is not a more popular choice, being light it reflects heat (which is important here in AZ). Yet is dark enough so it doesn't require excessive care or maintenance like Porcelain. It can look grey or nearly white depending on the lighting. Plus the lower areas, carpet, and steering wheel - all areas that will get dirty and/or get heavy wear - are black unlike the Porcelain interiors. You can choose the crystal grey or black DINAMICA headliner with the Crystal Grey interior. I have the grey now but was leaning towards black next time around just to change it up.

As far as night package, I like the high contrast between the black paint and chrome-finished trim and tips. On the pre-facelift cars, the trim was brushed silver and looked fairly cheap to me, I had it wrapped in carbon fiber look vinyl. And strangely the night package does not black out the window trim... seems like an oversight by MB, although easy enough to do with vinyl or paint to get the murdered-out, full black car like in the pic below, which definitely looks sinister! Should I grow tired of the chrome everything can be blacked-out with gloss black vinyl for probably less than the night package costs, other than the wheels which would have to be powder-coated or swapped out.
Agree on the Silver Grey, is very rare,. but beautiful imho. In my pre-facelifted car, I had Brown, also very nice, but I wanted a change, and indeed I love the black steering wheel, carpet, etc more in black than in a lighter color, as in the Porcelain ones. My Brown one had Black DINAMIC headliner, so I made the change the other way around, to have something new

My pre-facelift car had the Nightpackage for the same reason: especially the silver parts of the rear bumper I did not like, but on the facelift car, this changed to a more balance/traight line.
Painting the silver parts in Uni Black when I regret this, will be not so expensive indeed.

Enjoy the wait and your new car!
Old 09-08-2019, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

The H16 shows fingerprints more than the carbon fiber -

H16 does look very elegant -

I would agree with HAWKiS63 regarding your choice of

61U for the headliner - makes it much darker inside and

the level of window tint will only make it darker -

Works if you are going to a funeral -

The RTR wheels you have checked would be my choice -

Excellent choice with the U88 and the 811 -

The 5U5 lights are the icing on the cake -

There was never a doubt that you would check the B07 CCB box -

The only thing that helps with the build time wait is Macallan 18 -

Thank-You
D.B.

Last edited by COOPERDB; 09-08-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
What’s your plan for the current 2015 S63?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by coolcamden
What’s your plan for the current 2015 S63?
Either PP sale or trade-in. I live in a tax offset state so probably trade-in, unless I find a PP buyer before the or decide to lease. In the past S63 Coupe leases have been horrible, so unless something has changed I"ll purchase.

Sounds like delivery will be around end of year.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:20 PM

@COOPERDB & @HAWKiS63 thank you for the advice - I highly respect your opinions!

I'm reconsidering the trim and may opt for the H16 carbon fiber. I have it in my 2015 and it is certainly very nice, and does not show fingerprints, scratches, dust etc. Although most of the complaints re: piano black seem to be from the E-Class, where it comprises the entire console area the gets a lot of contact; I don't really ever touch any of the trim in the S63. Dust is an issue though, and even microfiber cloths can cause microscratches on high gloss black surfaces. And I've read the black flowing lines trim looks cheap and plasticky - I have not seen it in person, just photos. The H16 will make the interior more sporty which is not a bad thing at all.

Of course if I go with H16 then I'll be tempted to add the L6H steering wheel too. Mercedes charges $900 for it on the S63, but only $300 on the GT63S - seems to be the exact same wheel, other than the leather airbag cover exclusive to the S Class. The plastic airbag cover on the GT63S looks cheap and doesn't belong on a car of that price. If I get a steering wheel with DINAMICA grips I will need to diligently clean and brush it - it was neglected on my CLS63S and it looked like crap in short order.

Regarding the headliner, I could go either way but I find the black DINAMICA material more attractive than the crystal grey DINAMICA, which looks more like plain cloth than alcantara to me. Black also ties in better with the dash and conceals various crevices along the roof, for instance around the retractable shade.
Dan_B (09-21-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 PM

Tough decision... saw a S560 with "Flowing Lines" trim and it does work nicely with the dash design in the S-Coupe, more so than other models. And none of it is in locations where it is likely to get scratched. But the carbon fiber will be way better at hiding dust and also looks great with the crystal grey-black. Cost difference is about $2400. I have a few days to think about it.

Decided against the L6H steering wheel even if I go with the carbon fiber trim, hands get sweaty and grimy out here in Arizona summers so better off with the standard L6J Napa leather wheel. I have it now and like it well enough.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
Great looking build but have you tried to get anything custom out of them like Audi or BMW do with Exclusive or Individual? I remember a while back dealers just looked at me like I had ten heads. I ask because with a full custom order I would like something that is really my own and in my mind that is where MB drops the ball. They should let you pick more exclusive trim and color options especially on a $200k car. Look at say an 850 you can order in a just about any color you want and make it your own, not comparing cars just using an example.

Not bashing your thread and please don't take it that way. I see you asking and at that price point would love to see something exclusive. I am just curious if they are making the move to more exclusive custom orders?
Heisenberg (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

During my daily wandering around town I stopped in

yesterday at the local MB dealership to look for interiors

that match your build -

While I did not find your choice of crystal grey with the

black DINAMICA headliner I did find a car with the

crystal grey / crystal grey DINAMICA headliner -

Compared it to a car that had the black DINAMICA headliner -

After viewing the 2 options in person and downloading the

interior pictures you posted above and running them as a slide show

I would now go with the black DINAMICA headliner -

In person the crystal grey DINAMICA does look more like plain cloth

than the black DINAMICA -

And it would make the dash look like a small island of black surrounded

by a sea of crystal grey -

I would also pass on the L6H steering wheel -

S Class Coupe rarest options:
1. 5U5
2. B07
3. Carbon Fiber interior - It is the sport look for the #1 GT -

The carbon fiber interior also goes with the sound of the

Coupe's exhaust - both of which can have an effect on one's

"mental butt dyno sensation" which if one is honest is a

sensation that makes us feel good -

Thank-You
D.B.

Heisenberg (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by DABRONX
Great looking build but have you tried to get anything custom out of them like Audi or BMW do with Exclusive or Individual? I remember a while back dealers just looked at me like I had ten heads. I ask because with a full custom order I would like something that is really my own and in my mind that is where MB drops the ball. They should let you pick more exclusive trim and color options especially on a $200k car. Look at say an 850 you can order in a just about any color you want and make it your own, not comparing cars just using an example.

Not bashing your thread and please don't take it that way. I see you asking and at that price point would love to see something exclusive. I am just curious if they are making the move to more exclusive custom orders?
My experience is that car manufacturers will do pretty much anything you want, if you're willing to pay for it and wait. But, they charge excessively for things that don't neatly fit into their mass production model, and an already long delivery time can be prolonged indefinitely. So for a S Class I just don't think it is worth it. There are not many S63 Coupes slated for production in 2020, so it is likely the combination I order will be unique or at least one of a very few identical cars.

I went through this when ordering my McLaren, can post MSO price sheets for those who are curious... thousands of dollars for different stitching, tens of thousands for custom paint or tinted carbon fiber, etc.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by COOPERDB
`

During my daily wandering around town I stopped in

yesterday at the local MB dealership to look for interiors

that match your build -

While I did not find your choice of crystal grey with the

black DINAMICA headliner I did find a car with the

crystal grey / crystal grey DINAMICA headliner -

Compared it to a car that had the black DINAMICA headliner -

After viewing the 2 options in person and downloading the

interior pictures you posted above and running them as a slide show

I would now go with the black DINAMICA headliner -

In person the crystal grey DINAMICA does look more like plain cloth

than the black DINAMICA -

And it would make the dash look like a small island of black surrounded

by a sea of crystal grey -

I would also pass on the L6H steering wheel -

S Class Coupe rarest options:
1. 5U5
2. B07
3. Carbon Fiber interior - It is the sport look for the #1 GT -

The carbon fiber interior also goes with the sound of the

Coupe's exhaust - both of which can have an effect on one's

"mental butt dyno sensation" which if one is honest is a

sensation that makes us feel good -

Thank-You
D.B.

Thank you - I'm going with the CF interior, black DINAMICA, and standard Napa steering wheel.

Second guessing myself a little on the 040 black knowing how difficult it will be to maintain. Going to consider changing to Obsidian Black or Magnetite Black My 2015 is Magnetite Black, definitely not 'black' but very dark grey with lots of metallic, and it does hide dust and dirt quite well from what I remember... I had it wrapped shortly I got it in satin pearl white, wrap is coming off next month.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

As for the 040 black I would not worry too much

about maintaining it what with today's hi-tech

paint coatings / protection (Expel) -

In his build thread Dan outlines the process

that Joey at Eastside Auto Salon (EAS) in Bellevue

did on his paint - and if I remember Dan has 040 -

The look is incredible - much better in person

than looking at pictures -

This process works on any of the blacks for

a very liquid look -

Thank-You
D.B.

Dan_B (09-21-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:17 PM

Well, order is officially in... build in early November, hoping for delivery in December followed by full spa treatment (paint correction, full car PPF, ceramic coat, tint).

I decided to change the color from 040 Black to 183 Magnetite Black for a few reasons:
  • It will better hide dust which starts accumulating here immediately after a wash
  • It will soften the excessive contrast between the paint and all the chrome trim
  • It will be more interesting in bright sunlight which is just about every day here
Exterior will look exactly like this, except for the Swarovski headlamps and cross-spoke forged wheels:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2020S63.KOV.SPEC.pdf (32.4 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Heisenberg; 09-20-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:23 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by Heisenberg
Second guessing myself a little on the 040 black knowing how difficult it will be to maintain. Going to consider changing to Obsidian Black or Magnetite Black My 2015 is Magnetite Black, definitely not 'black' but very dark grey with lots of metallic, and it does hide dust and dirt quite well from what I remember... I had it wrapped shortly I got it in satin pearl white, wrap is coming off next month.
Thought also about the different kind of Blacks, and ordered my previous one in Obsidian, but the new one I have now is in 040 Black, and wow..............what a difference! Much more presence, espcially with the alu wheels and the Crystal leather! Had my old and new car next to each other, and from now on, I would also go for plain 040 Black!

With a transparant protective glass coating (around Euro 1K) it is very good to maintain as new. Have it now for few months, and no probs at all.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
S63 AMG
Rather than Ceramic coating, think about wrapping. I just wrapped my entire car except for Roof. The new materials are self healing and the extra "clear" makes the car look freshly waxed after washing. Low maintenance and no worries about dings or chips because the material is self healing..More money, but well worth it if you're buying the car v leasing. I did the same to my BMW and have never regretted spending he extra money.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:41 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts
2013 S550 SOLD / 2016 S63 SOLD / 2017 GLS450 / 2017 G550 4x4 / 2019 G63 E1 SOLD / 2019 S63 COUPE
Originally Posted by SpiderAce
Rather than Ceramic coating, think about wrapping. I just wrapped my entire car except for Roof. The new materials are self healing and the extra "clear" makes the car look freshly waxed after washing. Low maintenance and no worries about dings or chips because the material is self healing..More money, but well worth it if you're buying the car v leasing. I did the same to my BMW and have never regretted spending he extra money.

The best protection ever!! got it done on 3 cars so far!!
Old 10-14-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Originally Posted by SpiderAce
Heisenberg has wrapped his current car last couple years. In fact I think he is taking the wrap off this weekend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MY2020 C217 order spec