s63 Turbo Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 03:06 PM
J.B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s63 w222
s63 Turbo Upgrades

Has anybody in here messed around with the car in regards to the turbos. I'm looking to do some turbo upgrades. Not sure whether it be turbo wheel upgrades or fully upgrading the whole units what my best options are. Car has downpipes airbox and ecu upgrade already but looking for more out of the car.

Last edited by J.B; 04-08-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Here's the thing, even 900+ HP the cars we've done with billet wheels and bigger GT28s don't really run much harder in terms of 1/4 mile- and that's true of all shops. That's why you see "Brand X 7" PKG" of ECU + downpipes + drop-is running 10.8 sec., and "Brand X 9" PKG" with turbos, built trans., intercooler, etc. running 10.7. The transmission controller won't let you get much more power down.

What kind of performance are you looking for? Are you looking for a mile car/dyno queen? If so, you can get there with turbos. If you want a car that is genuinely quicker in the real world, you need to spend big on a standalone engine/trans. controller, or else wait until the TCUs get sorted.

Last edited by Speedriven1; 04-08-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added HP numbers.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Here's the thing, even 900+ HP the cars we've done with billet wheels and bigger GT28s don't really run much harder in terms of 1/4 mile- and that's true of all shops. That's why you see "Brand X 7" PKG" of ECU + downpipes + drop-is running 10.8 sec., and "Brand X 9" PKG" with turbos, built trans., intercooler, etc. running 10.7. The transmission controller won't let you get much more power down.

What kind of performance are you looking for? Are you looking for a mile car/dyno queen? If so, you can get there with turbos. If you want a car that is genuinely quicker in the real world, you need to spend big on a standalone engine/trans. controller, or else wait until the TCUs get sorted.
Renntech offers a transmission upgrade, would that help to use all that power or is it only a durability improvement?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
I believe Renntech and all other transmission upgrades consist of extra clutch packs and maybe solenoids to withstand higher power and prevent slippage with higher torque load.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:29 PM
J.B

s63 w222

I use the car to fly around in and am occasionally dig racing the car. I have issues with spending the money for the turbo upgrades if I can't even stall the car up and build boost on the line. The car bogs when held on the stall and the car also already spins which cuts power and completely kills any chance at a good ET. id be happy with a 10.8
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by Heisenberg
I believe Renntech and all other transmission upgrades consist of extra clutch packs and maybe solenoids to withstand higher power and prevent slippage with higher torque load.

That's what I've seen, but being able to handle the power isn't the problem. Even with those mods the cars are still being limited by the transmission controller.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by J.B
I use the car to fly around in and am occasionally dig racing the car. I have issues with spending the money for the turbo upgrades if I can't even stall the car up and build boost on the line. The car bogs when held on the stall and the car also already spins which cuts power and completely kills any chance at a good ET. id be happy with a 10.8
We can get you to a 10.8, like I said. Maybe a 10.7 on the right tire with a holeshot. Much better than that? On a full weight car with a factory ECU/TCU, it's still some time off.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:34 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by absent
Renntech offers a transmission upgrade, would that help to use all that power or is it only a durability improvement?
It's similar to what we/AMS/others offer. It's honestly just doing work on the dyno, because on the street the TCU is setting the torque limit, so it's not even a durability improvement there. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on the stock ECU/TCU combination. Stick with ECU, exhaust, maybe some drop-ins and address the intercooler circuit. You should see some great real-world power there.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 HARLEY FLHTK, 2013 SL550, 2014 S63
Originally Posted by J.B
Has anybody in here messed around with the car in regards to the turbos. I'm looking to do some turbo upgrades. Not sure whether it be turbo wheel upgrades or fully upgrading the whole units what my best options are. Car has downpipes airbox and ecu upgrade already but looking for more out of the car.
Contact Renntech, they are very open working with customers to accommodate to their needs, they have done some crazy e63 builds, if they can't do it, I don't know who can....

Not to change the thread subject but may I ask what kind of setup you go with, downpipes, air box...etc.

Good luck...
Old 04-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Renntech, KMB, AMS, Speedriven ... all of us have built 950+ HP Biturbo 63s. My advice would be to call everyone, compare prices, see who you have the best relationship with, and go from there.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:25 PM
J.B

s63 w222
Renntech, KMB, AMS, Speedriven ... all of us have built 950+ HP Biturbo 63s. My advice would be to call everyone, compare prices, see who you have the best relationship with, and go from there.
Has anybody been able to get this to launch well? Can the tcs in this car be turned off or something? I'm all in for doing it but not if I can only stall it up for a half second before it bogs. It's not practical in real world scenarios
Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by J.B
Has anybody been able to get this to launch well? Can the tcs in this car be turned off or something? I'm all in for doing it but not if I can only stall it up for a half second before it bogs. It's not practical in real world scenarios
Not with the factory ECU, which is why we've spent the last year+ working on a standalone ECU that will allow full control.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:31 PM

13 ML63, 13 GTR, 16 Tesla X
Not with the factory ECU, which is why we've spent the last year+ working on a standalone ECU that will allow full control.
Any timeline on having a standalone released to bypass torque limiting of the TCU? Years ago, I had your TCU programming in my S600. I have a 13 ML63 with a Renntech tune currently which is limited even then by the TCU. I'm taking delivery of a Tesla Model X next month, so I'll be able to finally have the car "down" for a turbo upgrade, but as you basically said earlier, upgrading the turbos doesn't really make sense without a TCU fix.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy
Any timeline on having a standalone released to bypass torque limiting of the TCU? Years ago, I had your TCU programming in my S600. I have a 13 ML63 with a Renntech tune currently which is limited even then by the TCU. I'm taking delivery of a Tesla Model X next month, so I'll be able to finally have the car "down" for a turbo upgrade, but as you basically said earlier, upgrading the turbos doesn't really make sense without a TCU fix.
We are actively working on the standalone solutions for all the Benzes- currently the V12 cars are "ready to go", and we expect the M113 cars (E55, SL55, etc.) to be ready in a matter of weeks. The Biturbo cars could see a "Eureka!" moment any time, or it may be a few months still. I'd expect late summer/fall, at the earliest.