Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550

Brake Pad Review: Racing Brake makes me happy

Brake Rotor Review: Racing Brake Rotors after 113,556miles

This is how RB two piece rotors look like after 113,556 miles. Jon replaced only the rotor rings (retain the use of hats), costing only fraction of the rotor assembly and good for another 110,000 miles.

RB two piece rotor kits are bundled with XT910 brake pad compound for the optimal result.
Ultra long term testimonial with real life experience.
RacingBrake is your most trusted source for brake replacement & upgrade with long proven result.

For earlier models (07-13) with rear drum emergency brake,
Rotors: https://racingbrake.com/mb-irk-10
Pads: https://racingbrake.com/pd-mb-01

For late models 2014-2020 w/rear e-PB (electronic parking brake)
Rotors: https://racingbrake.com/mb-irk-12
Pads: https://racingbrake.com/pd-mb-02
Old 02-08-2021, 01:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 s63 AMG.

After researching rotors and wanting to keep S63 OEM I was able to buy from dealer two rear rotors and pads and sensor for 2500 and doing them myself so not too bad. I notice the rotors are made in Italy and pads German. In case you see others out there.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:38 PM

2014 s63 AMG.
in case you do your own , Electronic hand brake has to be disengaged before you start, car has to be level. Glad I saw this before I started . LOL
Old 12-29-2021, 09:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
s63
Originally Posted by Flowmacks
I have a ‘15 with 21K miles on the odo. I brought it in for rear pads, and just got a text from the SA telling me the rear brakes will be $3300+ tax and the fronts are $3,200+ tax. WTF?

anyone been down this road? Advice needed....
absolutely crazy I refuse to pay that
Old 12-29-2021, 09:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
s63
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Not really, most people with these cars accept the level of maintenance and cost associated with them. Yes there are people who complain, and often they get free rotors or whatever the first time, but it's part of the cost to play the game in this segment, big powerful cars with big aggressive brakes, they don't last as long as we would like and they aren't cheap.
says who. That’s a foolish thought. And that’s not ok for the type of money these cars cost.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W222 S63 AMG
I recently got all four corners done with pads-only at 70k miles for less than $1k installed. No issues with existing rotors and car stops as well as ever, no vibration. I expect to have to do rotors next time around however but I’ll probably just trade it in then.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,590 Likes on 2,053 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I posted in this thread YEARS ago. Since then, I bit the bullet and had the AMG factory CCB installed on my 2019 SL450. They cost me approximately $16K through a top notch Indy shop here in Orange County, CA where I live. I got them for three reasons: ZERO brake dust, unrivaled stopping power and I think they look sensational. The fact that they will probably last as long as the car is also a huge plus. No squeaks, no grabbing, just smooth, linear, comfortable braking. IMO, the CCB option should be offered on EVERY MB vehicle, AMG or not. You cannot believe how clean my white SL stays, with no brake dust fouling the wheels and body panels. Went for a set of AMG forged wheels as well. I’d like to thank COOPERDB for his encouragement and advice as I was making my decision to make the move.

The following users liked this post:
Hedges (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 02:29 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes Benz AMG GLC 63s
Nope…!

Go online to eBay motors and you can buy the original disc set FAR FAR far cheaper than that along with the original spec pads if you want - I’d recommend changing to a pad that produces less dust; with the obligatory sensors for less than half that.

Originally Posted by Flowmacks
I have a ‘15 with 21K miles on the odo. I brought it in for rear pads, and just got a text from the SA telling me the rear brakes will be $3300+ tax and the fronts are $3,200+ tax. WTF?

anyone been down this road? Advice needed....
Old 12-30-2021, 05:23 AM

2014 s63 AMG.
I just put on TOP EURO rotors on front costs 500 dollars a rotor with Mercedes pads, far cheaper than OEM , they are near identical except the inner cast isn't polished, they work perfectly and seem not to wear at all after a few thousand miles unlike the OEM( just put on rear OEM rotors on back that not long ago), So save yourself a few thousand dollars with peace of mind that its not OEM, you'll never know the difference, I got my rotors from BENTLEY auto parts in NY.

Last edited by FASTTRIP; 12-30-2021 at 05:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FASTTRIP:
Bloom_Phaze (12-31-2021), Kevo79 (06-17-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 SL63 AMG
To the OP, I feel your pain, BUT...

I have a 2013 SL63. I bought her with 40k on the odometer in 2020, trading my 2009 SL550. First thing I must say, and I’m sorry if it comes across as cold or rude...it isn’t intended-only straight-forward bluntness. First thing ANY buyer should check when considering buying a car is the cost to maintain that vehicle. You bought yourself an absolutely beautiful high-powered, MERCEDES ‘sports’ car; with most MB products your maintenance costs are far more than your usual domestic or ‘basic’ import (re: Passat, Camry, Altima, etc), let-alone one of the most expensive models they sell. Most of us, myself included, have bought a vehicle during our lives “expecting” maintenance costs AND routines/schedules to be similar to your previous vehicle...we tend to live by our experiences in life.

That being said, the way you drive your high powered beauty will also determine the longevity of wear-and-tear items, like brakes and tires. I drive quite spirited on an open road, like a turnpike; but when driving around town on start and stop roads, I drive conservatively...keeping a good bit of distance between my SL and the vehicle in front of me, downshifting more to slow down than using the brakes. This is for 2 reasons...saving on brake pads/rotors AND keeping back to avoid road cinders from being kicked into my front end from the vehicle in front of me. I have the front-end RockGuard-ed, but even so...the northeast has so much of those cinders from winter on the roads even the laminate doesn’t protect from everything.

Besides maintenance schedules and costs, there are other things like life expectancy to check into when considering buying a vehicle. Most dealers have told me the rotors on the AMG models are “one-use” rotors...much like my 2008 Touareg. By the time the pads need replacement, there isn’t enough rotor left to turn (if-needed) and still be thick enough to perform as they should, let alone pass state inspection.

I am reading this back to myself, knowing full well that it can be read like I’m saying you’re a bad car-buyer...I’m not. Like I said...I too made the mistake of buying without investigating first in the past. I’m simply trying to relay I do FEEL YOUR PAIN, from personal experience, with a little ‘tough-love’ learn from MY mistakes lesson. 😉 It is quite difficult, at times, to ease off the accelerator pedal on these machines; they practically suck your foot onto the pedal screaming “GO-GO-GO FASTER-FASTER-FASTER!” But...around town, it will make your wallet a little happier, and give your foot a much needed brAke 🤪

An expensive lesson, for sure...but one I hope will benefit you from making a similar decision (mistake) in the future. You can also check your area for “reputable” repair centers that aren’t a ‘dealership’ but specialize in German or even Mercedes Benz vehicles. I have a number of them here, north of Philly, to choose from. Hopefully, you will find at least one in your neck of the woods. But, please, research them prior to trusting your vehicle to just ‘any’ repair center that touts it works on or specializes in Mercedes or German imports.

Good luck, sorry for the tough love.
Chris
Old 08-01-2022, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 384 Posts
222 S-65
FWIW.... My 222 S-65 with carbon ceramic brakes just got it’s pads replaced (F&R) at 91,000 miles. ZERO measurable rotor wear. Brakes always quiet with zero noise.... zero dust.... zero drama.
I contrast this with almost every (two exceptions) car I have owned before this one.... All with Iron brakes.... brake rotors always warped within 5-10,000 miles.... I always broke the rotors and pads in right.... cooled them down before parking it if I’d been a savage.
The 222 S-550 warped rotors within 5000 miles of buying it (used car with new rotors and pads). I was never a savage driving this car.
For the 221 S-65; Even with the ‘Big brake package’ I installed that was oversized rotors on hats with Brembo six piston calipers to replace the awful heavy (junk) two piston sliding calipers AMG fitted that car with rotors were warped within 5000-10,000 miles. OEM brakes on my 221 S-65 lived an even shorter life with that awful moaning noise when braking from high speeds. Those who have been a savage with one of them knows what I’m referring to. Much savagery in this car.
The 211 E-55 never warped brakes. Even with all the savagery it suffered. MB gave that one enough it seems.
The 211 E500 also never warped brakes. I was not a savage in this car.
My 140-120 Warped brakes within 5000 miles and brakes were done by 80 mph when braking from high speeds....
The 124-036 was even worse. No big brake kits available back then.

Last edited by JohnLane; 08-01-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,590 Likes on 2,053 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by JohnLane
FWIW.... My 222 S-65 with carbon ceramic brakes just got it’s pads replaced (F&R) at 91,000 miles................
As S65's go, you are probably a good candidate for the "High Mileage" award from MB.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 384 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by Streamliner
As S65's go, you are probably a good candidate for the "High Mileage" award from MB.
S-65’s continue to be proof positive of there being more to life then good gas mileage.

Though paying four times what I did in 2020 for super unleaded is more then a little irritating.