S63 AMG, S63 AMG 4Matic, S65 AMG (W222, V222) 2014 -2021

Turbo Lag 2017 S63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 S63 AMG
Turbo Lag 2017 S63 AMG

I have a 2017 S63 with 80,400 miles on the OD. It’s a beast with every option except rear tables, refrigerator & the option for heated and cooled cupholders in the rear. Fantastic vehicle and easily the best car I have ever owned (though it doesn't have the nice leather smell you will find in a Bentley). On the highway I have experienced no issues whatsoever. However, in city driving, after the car warms up, the car almost completely loses power when taking off from a stopped position such as at a stop sign or stop light, enough to be dangerous with someone behind you on your tail, or when merging or changing lanes. Sometimes it loses almost all power takes off then is immediately followed by another power loss before it finally decides what it wants to do.

It seems to be limited to comfort mode and there are no saved trouble codes. The spark plugs have been changed and the transmission service was performed 20,000 miles ago. Has anyone else experienced this issue with their S63? I have been driving it around in the Sport mode for the last 4 days to see if I can duplicate the symptoms and so far there are no issues. It's scheduled to go to the Dealership in another 2 weeks for the 80,000 mile service. Could it possibly be a transmission or software issue?
Old 02-17-2023, 08:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,520 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
It may be worth resetting the TCU (google tcu reset Mercedes), then drive somewhat aggressively to re learn comfort mode adaptations

- how long have you owned the car?
- sport mode or s+ is totally fine?
- what are the rpm's doing during power drop?
- when it's cold - no power drop?
- is the trans slipping during shifts?
- what device are you using to pull codes? Icarsoft? Xentry? Obd dongle? Depending on device there may be codes you're not seeing

- they could look for software updates but I would figure there are none left for trans after 6 years and 80k miles
- hard to believe it's a trans issues if s and s+ are perfect

- mct may need readaptation (wet clutch)

post this in w212amg forum to get more traction
and use this sticky for future help
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-w212-amg.html

Last edited by PeterUbers; 02-17-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:20 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2016 Mercedes S63 4matic sedan
Try driving around town to get the vehicle to act up, however set up your screen so you can see what gear it is in, or you can use the heads-up display. When it happens, does the number (another words the gear the car is in) disappear when it happens? Then it comes back and drives fine. I hope you understand what I am trying to relay. That could be useful information for the dealer. Pretty much every time I take my car in for service, I ask them to check for any updates. I like having everything current.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:44 AM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Comfort starts in second gear and sport starts in first.
Big difference in day to day.
Vince
Old 02-22-2023, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 604 Likes on 438 Posts
222 S-65
OP look Peter up... www.benzninja.com as he can help with software that will have the car start in sport mode every time... no more having to remember to press that button every time you start the car. While he is at it have him jailbreak ILS. You will love intelligent lighting. The speed limiter can go away... many other fun options via software. Also useful for diagnosis.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:38 PM

2017 S63 AMG
I've owned the car for about 6 months now and it had 72,000 miles on it when I bought it and now shows 85,000 miles. I reset the TCU about 4 days ago using the push button directions. It's the cheapest and quickest fix, if it works, so I figured I'd try it, though I thought the vehicle was constantly adapting and learning my driving habits which it should have learned by now, I would think. I've been driving it in the Comfort mode since then to see if it duplicates the issue and so far it hasn't though I haven't driven it much in town since then, but hope to do so this weekend. I noticed that the power dropped down from 2000 RPM's to almost 0 RPM's during the lag. It doesn't feel like the transmission is slipping during the shifts though I currently have soft winter tires on the vehicle and from time to time from take off it does feel as if the tires are "spinning" for lack of a better word.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:40 PM

2017 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
It may be worth resetting the TCU (google tcu reset Mercedes), then drive somewhat aggressively to re learn comfort mode adaptations

- how long have you owned the car?
- sport mode or s+ is totally fine?
- what are the rpm's doing during power drop?
- when it's cold - no power drop?
- is the trans slipping during shifts?
- what device are you using to pull codes? Icarsoft? Xentry? Obd dongle? Depending on device there may be codes you're not seeing

- they could look for software updates but I would figure there are none left for trans after 6 years and 80k miles
- hard to believe it's a trans issues if s and s+ are perfect

- mct may need readaptation (wet clutch)

post this in w212amg forum to get more traction
and use this sticky for future help
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-w212-amg.html

I've owned the car for about 6 months now and it had 72,000 miles on it when I bought it and now shows 85,000 miles. I reset the TCU about 4 days ago using the push button directions. It's the cheapest and quickest fix, if it works, so I figured I'd try it, though I thought the vehicle was constantly adapting and learning my driving habits which it should have learned by now, I would think. I've been driving it in the Comfort mode since then to see if it duplicates the issue and so far it hasn't though I haven't driven it much in town since then, but hope to do so this weekend. I noticed that the power dropped down from 2000 RPM's to almost 0 RPM's during the lag. It doesn't feel like the transmission is slipping during the shifts though I currently have soft winter tires on the vehicle and from time to time from take off it does feel as if the tires are "spinning" for lack of a better word.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:56 PM

2017 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP look Peter up... www.benzninja.com as he can help with software that will have the car start in sport mode every time... no more having to remember to press that button every time you start the car. While he is at it have him jailbreak ILS. You will love intelligent lighting. The speed limiter can go away... many other fun options via software. Also useful for diagnosis.
I looked up Benzninja and it looks intriguing. I don't really need to tune the vehicle anymore than it already is but there does seem to be some functions that I would be interested in such as expanding the number of colors with the ambient lighting from to 64 and changing the fuel remaining from a percentage to gallons. Minor changes. Possibly allow the DVD while in motion. I will have to look into it a little more to see if those minor changes are worth the expense. The Benzninja website doesn't go into too much detail on anything, I've noticed.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
Originally Posted by Nate Payne
I looked up Benzninja and it looks intriguing. I don't really need to tune the vehicle anymore than it already is but there does seem to be some functions that I would be interested in such as expanding the number of colors with the ambient lighting from to 64 and changing the fuel remaining from a percentage to gallons. Minor changes. Possibly allow the DVD while in motion. I will have to look into it a little more to see if those minor changes are worth the expense. The Benzninja website doesn't go into too much detail on anything, I've noticed.
Peter will describe in detail on the telephone. He has a list of changes available. You want ILS. My car got fuel level in gallons, sign recognition, ILS, additional modes for cooling seats, hot climate for A/C, last mode remembered for restart (no more select S to get rid of start-stop) sport + for the transmission (changed how the trans behaves in S too. Nice improvement. Good stuff. Get the equipment and a membership. Worth it.
The following users liked this post:
compaddict (02-26-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:59 PM

2017 S63 AMG
Dropped the vehicle off at the dealership this morning. Just got word that they figured it out and my worse fears have been confirmed...it's the transmission. They found metal shavings in the pan. The quote is $19,249.95 for a new transmission. Ouch. I probably should have kept the Cadillac 2019 CT6 Platinum I traded in for this, lol.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 570 Likes on 390 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I would reach out to a few transmission shops locally and see if they can help with either a rebuild or installation of a used unit. You can find a used example on Ebay for 3-4K with fairly low mileage. Your best bet is to get what you have rebuild as that would be the long term solution. A new one from the dealer though is a complete waste of money.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:38 PM

2017 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by superpop
I would reach out to a few transmission shops locally and see if they can help with either a rebuild or installation of a used unit. You can find a used example on Ebay for 3-4K with fairly low mileage. Your best bet is to get what you have rebuild as that would be the long term solution. A new one from the dealer though is a complete waste of money.
The car is currently at the Stealership waiting for my after market Warranty adjuster to show up and confirm the diagnosis. Then the fun and games and negotiating begins. They may try to steer me towards a rebuild. I'm not picky I'll take whatever will cost me the least amount out of my pocket. In the mean time I'm driving a 2023 S500 loaner vehicle with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,520 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Nate Payne
Dropped the vehicle off at the dealership this morning. Just got word that they figured it out and my worse fears have been confirmed...it's the transmission. They found metal shavings in the pan. The quote is $19,249.95 for a new transmission. Ouch. I probably should have kept the Cadillac 2019 CT6 Platinum I traded in for this, lol.
yikes; I'm sorry man
Old 03-01-2023, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
OP... It’s good to have the extended warranty. Bet the dealership can find a few things that are needed for the same deductible. Ask.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:12 PM

2017 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP... It’s good to have the extended warranty. Bet the dealership can find a few things that are needed for the same deductible. Ask.
If it was a Mercedes aftermarket Warranty I would 100% agree with you about the Dealership finding extras to add on. My warranty is a Platinum Warranty through Magellan and was bought through my Credit Union. The Warranty company specifically states that they don't pay for failures due to pre-conditions, leak repairs or damage caused by leaks or "recommendations" from the dealership, which means it's got to be broken before they will even consider thinking about paying for the repair. My Radiator cooler was leaking so bad a month and a half ago that the steam from the coolant is peeling the clear coat from my passenger side headlights. I paid $1600 for replacement of the cooler because the Warranty company doesn't cover leaks. I paid $5,700 for a 4 year, 48 month warranty (only reason I bit the bullet and bought the car) and hope they can at least pay for this transmission, otherwise they are no better than Car Shield.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:29 PM

2017 S63 AMG
I finally picked up my car on March 24th, exactly 26 days after I dropped it off at the Stealership. It took one week for the warranty company to send someone out to confirm the diagnosis. The Warranty company then negotiated with the Stealership and haggled the original $19,249.95 price for a new transmission down to $14,500 for a remanufactured transmission. The aftermarket Warranty company paid $11,500 and I'm on the hook for $3,000.I paid $5,478 for the Platinum warranty 7 months ago so I guess it's paid for itself. I thought about cancelling the warranty because a couple of issues popped up before this one that they wouldn't cover, now I'm glad I didn't. This is my first experience with an aftermarket warranty so I was fearful of having something similar to a CarShield experience, but thankfully I didn't.

The car ran extremely rough (like a tank) when I first drove it but after adding 20 oz of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner to a fresh full tank of gas and putting 300 highway miles on it since then, it's riding much better now. hopefully nothing else will go wrong any time soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Now if I could just find a way to prevent the ridiculous amount of coolant smelling steam from coming from the right front bumper side of the car when I go through an automatic carwash I will be even happier.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
OP here’s hoping there is not another coolant leak.
Glad the transmission is solved.
An extended warranty that doesn’t cover leaks. That is a first for me. Considering a lot of what ends up getting repaired IS leak related this gives them a huge out.