Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

HELP NEEDED! PENDING BALANCE SHAFT RECALL FOR 2005-2007 M272 & M273 ENGINES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 ML350 4Matic, 2019 E350, 2002 C240
Arrow HELP NEEDED! PENDING BALANCE SHAFT RECALL FOR 2005-2007 M272 & M273 ENGINES

Hello everyone, I hope all of you are staying healthy.

I’d like to call all owners of 2005- 2007 M272 V6 and M273 V8’s to help make matters right following a

the notorious balance shaft and sprocket defect. If you are not familiar with such issue, please scroll down for questions and more information. Please share this page with anyone you know that may have had these associated issues.

Certain Mercedes-Benz models have faced or are facing issues regarding the balance sprocket in which drives the camshaft and crankshaft of the vehicle. Mercedes-Benz had made a decision to make certain engine components out of soft metals, when such metals are not adequate in handling the stress of the engine. In particular, in many cases, the balance sprocket was made with inadequate materials and gradually deteriorated to the point in which it could not engage the timing chain and cause camshaft-crankshaft misalignment.

If you have a 2005-2007 Mercedes Benz with an M272 or M273 (see the list of associated vehicles below), know someone with this vehicle, or are a mechanic who knows the horrid details of this defect, please help us get Mercedes-Benz to ratify their mistake and let the many loyal Mercedes-Benz customers get awarded or compensated for the expensive repairs they need. We have started a claim for a safety recall with the NHTSA.gov and we need additional participants to help make the case become formally investigated. It will only take a few minutes and you'd be helping out your fellow BenzWorld community members who have also been pained with this defect and its expensive repairs.

Visit the following link to submit a safety concern and help the recall effort:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

(The complaint requires a specific event where you had a concern of a lack of safety as a result of the defect. This could be an event where the car stalled, locked steering, would not start on the roadway or in a dangerous place, left you stranded, faced dangerous temperatures, lost control, lost power steering, caught fire, or lead to an accident. It does not necessarily have to cause damage.)

If you cannot recall a dangerous event that occurred because of this defect, but still want to help and potentially be rewarded for repairs, fill out this form and we'll look into starting a class action suit on Mercedes-Benz's negligence in providing safety, failure to recall, and likely knowing that they are responsible for the defect.

https://forms.gle/tGrnFzY8ygjCX9XG8

What’s to gain? Is it worth my time? A class action lawsuit was filed against Mercedes in 2015 on the matter of defective balance shafts and sprockets, and reached a settlement where Mercedes-Benz agreed to only cover a portion of repairs in most cases, deny responsibility, and only give affected customers a few months to submit their claim before it closed. In addition, pretty much only the people who researched or happened to come across the lawsuit found out about the settlement. Many were disappointed after hearing that there was a settlement that they missed out on, and were left with a bill excess of $4,000 for an issue that they were not responsible for. By helping our efforts in filing for a mandatory recall, we are making Mercedes Benz own up to their mistakes that they covered up and potentially making them offer free repairs or compensation for balance shaft repairs.

How do I know if I have or had this issue? If you have the model year 2005-2007 with the M272 or M273 engines (if you don't know which vehicles have this engine, scroll down for a complete list) there is a high possibility that you have been affected by the balance shaft defect or will be affected by it in the near future. The signs of such issue are highlighted by a check engine light, persisting P0016 and/or P0017 codes, loss of acceleration/torque, rough transmission gear shifts, strange or different noises from the engine at higher speed/gear ranges, a misaligned camshaft and crankshaft, transmission in limp mode, metal in the oil pan, and/or of course a deteriorated or worn balance sprocket (see pictures). You can verify that you have this issue by following the simple procedure highlighted in
. Use a 27mm socket and attach it to the drive pulley, and remove the single screw attached to both sensors. Rotate the drive socket to 305 degrees clockwise. Never turn the pulley the other way. Look into the holes for the camshaft sensors and see if the circular emblem is dead in the center of both. If not, your camshaft is misaligned, your engine is deteriorating, and the defective balance shaft is the likely culprit. Please do this procedure at your own risk.

Here are the potentially affected vehicle list:Thank you for supporting your Mercedes-Benz community. Although we bear the occasional frustration with Mercedes-Benz, we still very much appreciate their vehicles and we're team AMG all the way.

God bless you and America, and please stay safe.

The following 2 users liked this post by mperez:
Audi Junkie (06-23-2024), MLMC (02-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2020, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor
My balance shaft went on my 2006 c280 (M272 engine) and I ended up pulling the engine and putting a lower mileage one I got off of ebay in it. That was back in 2016 and the car, I am happy to say is still running well.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:32 PM

2006 C350
Any updates on this?
Old 02-24-2021, 03:09 PM

ML350 2015 and 2006
Please advise if there have been responses and/or comments to this thread. Just purchased a 2006 ML350 in January 2021 with only 67k miles. Checked Carfax (perfect) and MB recalls and nothing referenced a balance shaft issue. Less that 3 weeks after purchase the check engine light came on with codes 0016 and 0017. Sensors were replaced but check engine light came back on almost immediately.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:30 PM

C280
Is there any update on Mercedes fixing this issue? I have a current estimate in Ohio of $7000
Old 07-05-2021, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by susan@5palmers.
Is there any update on Mercedes fixing this issue? I have a current estimate in Ohio of $7000
MB issued an extended warranty on the repair, however it was pro-rated depending on the age and mileage of the car, it may be long over by now, but you can search for the document online.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:31 PM

C280
Angry how long can I drive the 2006 C280 with the cam shaft issue?

OK, MB USA will not help at all. I did do your NHTS report. Right now our 2006 C280 is worth less than the repair costs. (7700) The engine light has been on for the last hundred miles and has been diagnosed with the cam shaft warnings 1200 and 1208. How long will we be able to drive it before it becomes inoperable? Right now we don't notice anything at all.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
How many miles are on it? Who diagnosed the failure? Did they physically check the camshaft positions through the sensor holes?
Old 07-09-2021, 09:52 PM

C280
2006 C280 mileage is 73,100
Mercedes Benz North Olmsted OH diagnosed the codes
The diagnosis says, "Balance shaft is worn causing timing faults connected SDS, Ran Quick test, found faults 1200 and 1208 relating to timing on right bank of engine. Checked engine number and verified it is with
in the parameters on bulletin LI03.30-P-050027. Quoted replacement of Balance shaft $7400.22 plus tax
Sean Cinalli
Old 07-10-2021, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Unfortunately those are the correct codes indicating an idler gear failure. As you're already aware, the car is not worth fixing. Even swapping in a good used engine is not worth it. As long as it's running good, just keep driving it. I haven't seen any catastrophic engine failure from this issue. The cam timing will be slightly off spec. and I believe you can drive it for many more miles this way. However I would just use the car around town and not go on any long road trips.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 07-10-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:17 AM

C280
Thanks, the high school kids drive it back and forth to school and work. No more than 30 miles a week. We will keep it that way
Old 07-10-2021, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by susan@5palmers.
Thanks, the high school kids drive it back and forth to school and work. No more than 30 miles a week. We will keep it that way
This is a perfect car for that situation, good luck!
Old 02-18-2022, 03:50 PM

C280
I have a follow up question. Ohio requires echeck for emissions every two years. My engine light is on from the balance shaft fault 1200 and 1208. Will it pass an emission check?