Sponsored by:

Question About the throttle response on the 2020 gt63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT63
Question Question About the throttle response on the 2020 gt63

Hello, I recently bought my first car, a used 2020 GT63. This is my first experience with a 'sport' or 'super' car. While driving today, I noticed a delay of about 1.5 seconds when I pressed the throttle in comfort or sport mode before the car started to accelerate. In Sport+ mode, it feels a bit better, but there's still a slight lag sometimes, almost like a quick hiccup. I'm not sure if this is normal for AMGs, perhaps just the turbo kicking in. Since this is my first experience with any AMG and I've never driven a brand new 2023-2024 GT63 to compare, I'm not sure if this is typical. I've only had the car for less than a month, Should I be concerned?
Old 03-06-2024, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,806 Likes on 2,545 Posts
2019 C63CS
I'm going to say not really typical from your description. For a turbocharged engine, the M177/178 are super responsive and are the closest you can get to the response of a naturally aspirated engine. This was a primary design goal by AMG. It's not your typical boosty engine where nothing happens at first and then the power surges once the turbos kick in. The response is very linear all the way from a stop. Yes, in Comfort the throttle is feathered a bit for comfortable driving and you can occasionally catch the engine in a lull if it's hanging out in 9th gear and you need it to move. This is why I drive 90% or more in manual mode, making sure I'm always in the right gear. My transmission also has adapted very well to my moderate driving style, and I do all my spirited driving in manual mode as not to confuse the adaptions between my moderate and spirited driving. This is with my 2019 C63S Coupe, but I've driven the GT63 and other models all the way up to the GT Black Series quite a bit and they are all equally responsive. I hate most turbocharged engines, because they all lag, but the M177/178 is one of my favorite engines. I wish it was a high revving engine like the naturally aspirated V8 with an 8500 rpm redline I had in my previous Audi RS5 and it doesn't quite have the same sharp throttle response, but it's very close and the pull this one has down low makes up for it.

Since you bought your car used, the transmission has adapted to the previous owner, who for all you know might have been driving like a grandma. Give it some beans and blow out the spider webs and see if it improves over time. You can also have the dealer reset the transmission adaptations, so you can start teaching it fresh.
The following users liked this post:
GT63 (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 02:23 PM

GT63
Question

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm going to say not really typical from your description. For a turbocharged engine, the M177/178 are super responsive and are the closest you can get to the response of a naturally aspirated engine. This was a primary design goal by AMG. It's not your typical boosty engine where nothing happens at first and then the power surges once the turbos kick in. The response is very linear all the way from a stop. Yes, in Comfort the throttle is feathered a bit for comfortable driving and you can occasionally catch the engine in a lull if it's hanging out in 9th gear and you need it to move. This is why I drive 90% or more in manual mode, making sure I'm always in the right gear. My transmission also has adapted very well to my moderate driving style, and I do all my spirited driving in manual mode as not to confuse the adaptions between my moderate and spirited driving. This is with my 2019 C63S Coupe, but I've driven the GT63 and other models all the way up to the GT Black Series quite a bit and they are all equally responsive. I hate most turbocharged engines, because they all lag, but the M177/178 is one of my favorite engines. I wish it was a high revving engine like the naturally aspirated V8 with an 8500 rpm redline I had in my previous Audi RS5 and it doesn't quite have the same sharp throttle response, but it's very close and the pull this one has down low makes up for it.

Since you bought your car used, the transmission has adapted to the previous owner, who for all you know might have been driving like a grandma. Give it some beans and blow out the spider webs and see if it improves over time. You can also have the dealer reset the transmission adaptations, so you can start teaching it fresh.
Thank you for your reply! I had no idea that's how the transmission works. Man, the technology in these cars is crazy nowadays. I'm not sure if I should be concerned because today, while driving in sport mode on my way home, I tried to beat a yellow light. I increased the throttle from 15% to 80%, and the RPMs went up for about 1.5 seconds, but the speed remained normal. Then suddenly, the car jumped and accelerated. Should I be worried about this?
Old 03-07-2024, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by GT63
Thank you for your reply! I had no idea that's how the transmission works. Man, the technology in these cars is crazy nowadays. I'm not sure if I should be concerned because today, while driving in sport mode on my way home, I tried to beat a yellow light. I increased the throttle from 15% to 80%, and the RPMs went up for about 1.5 seconds, but the speed remained normal. Then suddenly, the car jumped and accelerated. Should I be worried about this?
What gear was the transmission in when you approached the light and how many gears did it have to downshift first before it took off? Generally, this is not unexpected with an automatic transmission. Even in Sport, if you are just plodding along it'll be in a high gear and then if you suddenly step on the throttle it first has to downshift a few gears. Although, the 9-speed MCT drops gears very fast in my experience, so 1.5 seconds seems a bit long, but there's definitely a moment during which nothing will happen as it first has to yank in a lower gear before it can take off. This transmission has a clutch between the engine and transmission instead of a typical torque converter, so it declutches and drops down some gears and then reengages the clutch in a situation like this. What kinds of cars have you driven before?

These are situations where I take over and downshift myself first. You can double click the downshift paddle to quickly drop two gears for example and then get on the throttle and take off. Downshifting two gears is usually enough to take off quickly with all the torque this engine has. To me this comes naturally, because I've driven manual transmissions for over 20 years. I only use the automatic mode if I'm just casually driving along. More as a convivence for moderate driving. Even though my transmission proactively downshifts the moment I slow down, if I just stomp on the throttle then pretty much any automatic transmission is caught off guard. This is the kickdown feature of automatic transmissions. As soon as you suddenly demand power out of the blue you force it to first drop several gears, otherwise you'd just be lugging the engine.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-07-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:44 PM

GT63
Question

What gear was the transmission in when you approached the light and how many gears did it have to downshift first before it took off? Generally, this is not unexpected with an automatic transmission. Even in Sport, if you are just plodding along it'll be in a high gear and then if you suddenly step on the throttle it first has to downshift a few gears. Although, the 9-speed MCT drops gears very fast in my experience, so 1.5 seconds seems a bit long, but there's definitely a moment during which nothing will happen as it first has to yank in a lower gear before it can take off. This transmission has a clutch between the engine and transmission instead of a typical torque converter, so it declutches and drops down some gears and then reengages the clutch in a situation like this. What kinds of cars have you driven before?

These are situations where I take over and downshift myself first. You can double click the downshift paddle to quickly drop two gears for example and then get on the throttle and take off. Downshifting two gears is usually enough to take off quickly with all the torque this engine has. To me this comes naturally, because I've driven manual transmissions for over 20 years. I only use the automatic mode if I'm just casually driving along. More as a convivence for moderate driving. Even though my transmission proactively downshifts the moment I slow down, if I just stomp on the throttle then pretty much any automatic transmission is caught off guard. This is the kickdown feature of automatic transmissions. As soon as you suddenly demand power out of the blue you force it to first drop several gears, otherwise you'd just be lugging the engine.
Oh okay, thanks for replying. Tomorrow morning, I'm gonna go test it out and see. I definitely think you're onto something. I was cruising at 23-25 mph since I'm in New York City, where the speed limit is 25 mph. I might've been in 4th gear since I was in automatic and then I just floored it out of nowhere to beat the yellow. I previously drove a 2009 VW Jetta, which was my first car, and decided to treat myself to a 2020 GT63. It had 28,851 miles when I purchased it with 1 owner. I have no experience with manual transmission cars, let alone paddle shifters, so everything is really new to me, especially dealing with the RPMs and shifting. When I was test driving the car, in the back of my mind, I knew I've never operated any machinery like this before, so if there was a problem during the test drive I really couldn't tell. I can't help but worry that the first owner of this car passed down their problems to me. So now whenever I come across something I'm not sure about, I wonder if it's just because it's a sport/super car or if there's an actual problem. It's worth noting that when I drove my Jetta, I never really sped because it only had around 150 horsepower. It got the job done from point A to point B!
Old 03-08-2024, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Oh okay, thanks for replying. Tomorrow morning, I'm gonna go test it out and see. I definitely think you're onto something. I was cruising at 23-25 mph since I'm in New York City, where the speed limit is 25 mph. I might've been in 4th gear since I was in automatic and then I just floored it out of nowhere to beat the yellow. I previously drove a 2009 VW Jetta, which was my first car, and decided to treat myself to a 2020 GT63. It had 28,851 miles when I purchased it with 1 owner. I have no experience with manual transmission cars, let alone paddle shifters, so everything is really new to me, especially dealing with the RPMs and shifting. When I was test driving the car, in the back of my mind, I knew I've never operated any machinery like this before, so if there was a problem during the test drive I really couldn't tell. I can't help but worry that the first owner of this car passed down their problems to me. So now whenever I come across something I'm not sure about, I wonder if it's just because it's a sport/super car or if there's an actual problem. It's worth noting that when I drove my Jetta, I never really sped because it only had around 150 horsepower. It got the job done from point A to point B!
Congrats on the car. Yeah, that's quite a step from a Jetta. You are in a different world now. Sounds like you and the car have some acquainting to do and you have to learn how to drive this beast. You may wanna sign up for some of the AMG Experiences to fully experience these cars. Unfortunately, they've cut down the locations quite a bit. They used to do this on various tracks across the country, but now it's only here in California.

https://www.amgexperienceus.com/

Last edited by superswiss; 03-08-2024 at 12:07 AM.
GT63 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 12:27 AM

GT63
Question

Congrats on the car. Yeah, that's quite a step from a Jetta. You are in a different world now. Sounds like you and the car have some acquainting to do and you have to learn how to drive this beast. You may wanna sign up for some of the AMG Experiences to fully experience these cars. Unfortunately, they've cut down the locations quite a bit. They used to do this on various tracks across the country, but now it's only here in California.

https://www.amgexperienceus.com/
Thank you! It definitely feels like a whole new world compared to the Jetta. Learning the ropes with this car is quite the adventure. The AMG Experiences sound amazing, I'll have to look into them, even if it means making a trip to California. It would be incredible to fully experience what this car can do on a track. Have you had the chance to attend one of these events?
Old 03-08-2024, 12:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Try this ... then drive it like you stole it for 100 miles

Old 03-08-2024, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Have you had the chance to attend one of these events?
Yes, I've attended several. Here in the USA and in Europe. I traveled to Germany and Austria to attend events there. Here's me doing a lap around the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit in Germany in the GT Black Series. Manually shifting btw.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-08-2024 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:19 AM

GT63
Yes, I've attended several. Here in the USA and in Europe. I traveled to Germany and Austria to attend events there. Here's me doing a lap around the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit in Germany in the GT Black Series. Manually shifting btw.

https://youtu.be/foAC8nzQz08?si=cCCddA7_JnzyiLfJ
This video is amazing! I've watched it four times already. I've been a fan of sim racing for a couple of years, especially on the Nurburgring track, so seeing you drive it in real life with the AMG was incredible. It's motivated me to take my own car out on a track and push its limits. Since it's still winter, I'm looking forward to spring or summer when I can finally take it out and have some fun. Even though it's my daily driver, I've only put 160 miles on it so far. Do you have more track videos you'd be willing to share? I really enjoyed the last one!
Old 03-08-2024, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
This video is amazing! I've watched it four times already. I've been a fan of sim racing for a couple of years, especially on the Nurburgring track, so seeing you drive it in real life with the AMG was incredible. It's motivated me to take my own car out on a track and push its limits. Since it's still winter, I'm looking forward to spring or summer when I can finally take it out and have some fun. Even though it's my daily driver, I've only put 160 miles on it so far. Do you have more track videos you'd be willing to share? I really enjoyed the last one!
This is in the AMG GT R at Laguna Seca California.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:27 PM

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
c63s
Congrats on your car! Nice upgrade.
im looking at GT63s myself. Post some pics when you can.
GT63 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 06:44 PM

GT63
Question

Originally Posted by mbny1234
Congrats on your car! Nice upgrade.
im looking at GT63s myself. Post some pics when you can.
Thanks! I'm loving the new ride. The GT63s is a solid choice too, it's got some serious power. I'll definitely post some pics soon, still getting used to it! Have you test driven one yet?
Old 03-09-2024, 08:54 PM

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
c63s
Thanks! I'm loving the new ride. The GT63s is a solid choice too, it's got some serious power. I'll definitely post some pics soon, still getting used to it! Have you test driven one yet?
I haven’t test driven one as of yet but will, when I find one that I want. I’m assuming it’s not too different from my C63S but I am aware they are two different types of cars.
GT63 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 10:11 PM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2023 AMG GT 63 S, 2020 F8 Tributo
I have a 2023 63 S, after owning it for 10 months I’m ready to move on from it. I HATE the short shifting and I don’t want to drive around and shift with the paddles on a regular basis. It always seems to be in too high gear. Very frustrating as my previous car was a CLS AMG 63 S and the shift points in Sport + were spot on! There really is no excuse NOT to have more aggressive shift points in Sport + and especially Race mode. I also hate the lack of downshifts at times..it seems to just coast instead of timely downshifts. I ordered the car from new and if I could find a freaking 911 Turbo S allocation I’d dump it in NY second! Sorry, rant over.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Dicecal
I have a 2023 63 S, after owning it for 10 months I’m ready to move on from it. I HATE the short shifting and I don’t want to drive around and shift with the paddles on a regular basis. It always seems to be in too high gear. Very frustrating as my previous car was a CLS AMG 63 S and the shift points in Sport + were spot on! There really is no excuse NOT to have more aggressive shift points in Sport + and especially Race mode. I also hate the lack of downshifts at times..it seems to just coast instead of timely downshifts. I ordered the car from new and if I could find a freaking 911 Turbo S allocation I’d dump it in NY second! Sorry, rant over.
Did your CLS have the 7-speed or 9-speed? The 9-speed does short shift on lazy throttle input, but keep in mind it has much shorter gear ratios, so to be in the same ratio as the 7-speed, you'll be 1-2 gears higher and the 9-speed always starts in 1st, even in Comfort mode. So Comfort mode is actually usable. The 7-speed was kinda terrible in Comfort mode due to the 2nd gear start, so many folks drove it in Sport or Sport+. That's not necessary with the 9-speed. Sport+ shouldn't be used for slow driving actually, otherwise it adapts to your slow driving instead of spirited driving. While I said above that I drive 90% or more in manual mode, around town I'm in Comfort and Automatic and it shifts in sync with my driving. If I give it appropriate throttle it holds a lower gear and the moment I start slowing down it downshifts, so it pretty much is always in the right gear. When I attended the first AMG Driving Academy, the instructors specifically said not to use Sport+ around town. I occasionally put it in Sport around town if the speed limits are more around 45 mph. It does better that way, but for 25-35 mph roads, Comfort has adapted very well to my driving style and I drive pretty spirited, even around town. It's pretty much always in the right gear and quickly drops a couple of gears if I suddenly give it some beans.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-17-2024 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:45 PM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2023 AMG GT 63 S, 2020 F8 Tributo
Wink

Did your CLS have the 7-speed or 9-speed? The 9-speed does short shift on lazy throttle input, but keep in mind it has much shorter gear ratios, so to be in the same ratio as the 7-speed, you'll be 1-2 gears higher and the 9-speed always starts in 1st, even in Comfort mode. So Comfort mode is actually usable. The 7-speed was kinda terrible in Comfort mode due to the 2nd gear start, so many folks drove it in Sport or Sport+. That's not necessary with the 9-speed. Sport+ shouldn't be used for slow driving actually, otherwise it adapts to your slow driving instead of spirited driving. While I said above that I drive 90% or more in manual mode, around town I'm in Comfort and Automatic and it shifts in sync with my driving. If I give it appropriate throttle it holds a lower gear and the moment I start slowing down it downshifts, so it pretty much is always in the right gear. When I attended the first AMG Driving Academy, the instructors specifically said not to use Sport+ around town. I occasionally put it in Sport around town if the speed limits are more around 45 mph. It does better that way, but for 25-35 mph roads, Comfort has adapted very well to my driving style and I drive pretty spirited, even around town. It's pretty much always in the right gear and quickly drops a couple of gears if I suddenly give some beans.
I almost always drive the car in my individual mode, which is practically a clone of the Race mode. I’ll try around town driving in comfort and see what I think and leave the push of a button for more performance. My old CLS AMG 63 S had the 7 speed, and was very consistent and engaging in Sport + mode. I drove 2020 AMG GT 63 S before I decided to order this car, and it seemed more aggressive as well.

Since I still can’t find a 911 Turbo S allocation, I’ll keep driving it and experimenting. But the car has been disappointing to me, and if that continues it will be replaced with something else. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-17-2024, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Dicecal
I almost always drive the car in my individual mode, which is practically a clone of the Race mode. I’ll try around town driving in comfort and see what I think and leave the push of a button for more performance. My old CLS AMG 63 S had the 7 speed, and was very consistent and engaging in Sport + mode. I drove 2020 AMG GT 63 S before I decided to order this car, and it seemed more aggressive as well.

Since I still can’t find a 911 Turbo S allocation, I’ll keep driving it and experimenting. But the car has been disappointing to me, and if that continues it will be replaced with something else. Thanks for the reply!
I would not use Race if I were you. Race is less aggressive than S+. It features a linear throttle map for precise control of the engine power for track driving for example. I only use Race in the canyons, on the track and for drifting. S and S+ feature aggressive throttle maps and even the shifting is more violent in S+ than in Race in case of my '19 C63S. Powershifts in S+ literally kick me in the back, whereas in Race they are quick and smooth as to not upset the chassis. S+ and Race have very different purposes. My Individual mode is largely a clone of S+, except for the suspension in Sport and the transmission in M. As said, I do all my aggressive driving in M. Can't imagine not to be in control of the gear shifts when I'm on it. The transmission can't read my mind.

FWIW, the emissions regulations have changed quite a bit since 2020, so wouldn't be surprised if the 2023 has a more toned down response. AMG did have quality issues with the M17x engines and completely stopped all sales for 2022 to sort it out. They never disclosed what the issue was, but I've always suspected it was due to changes they had to make to meet stricter regulations and it backfired.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-17-2024 at 09:18 PM.
Dicecal (03-17-2024)