E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Problem with transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e class
Problem with transmission

When I try to put the gear to D, it will automatically jump to neutral. If I continue to flick the gear lever several times, the car will start in D3, and the gear will not be lower than D3 in the following driving. This happens when i drive long distence, if i drive short distence car works normally. Did some of MB drivers have the same problem?

The following users liked this post:
Dpeace (12-13-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:41 AM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
What year and model of car do you have?

What setting are you using for the transmission? (e.g., comfort, sport, etc.) Does changing the setting help with this problem?
Old 04-06-2022, 12:14 PM

e class
Originally Posted by The_Judge
What year and model of car do you have?

What setting are you using for the transmission? (e.g., comfort, sport, etc.) Does changing the setting help with this problem?
i have E class 2017 w213

The setting doesn't help, no matter what i use. When the car heats up then the problem starts.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,868 Likes on 3,042 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
When the gear changes (uncommanded) to neutral, what does the MFD say?
Old 04-06-2022, 01:23 PM

e class
Nothing. Sometimes engine light comes on, the next day the engine light turn off..
Old 04-06-2022, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
2019 E300
Sounds like something is overheating or it could also be an software issue. This might be some sort of limp mode to protest the transmission, I would try to get the dealer to pull the codes from the tranny module and go from there. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E300
do a scan to see if any codes are stored... also did u do a transmission fluid flush at some point earlier? check the coolant levels too
Old 04-06-2022, 02:13 PM

e class
In MB shop (dealer)they say that the problem is R and they have to replace the complete gearbox mechatronics, because the problem is gearbox.. i just dont belive them, because if the problem is mechatronic i could not drive the car..
Old 04-06-2022, 02:19 PM

e class
[QUOTE=ram0201;8541878]do a scan to see if any codes are stored... also did u do a transmission fluid flush at some point earlier? check the coolant levels too[/QUOTE

can coolant levels also affect on the transmission?
Old 04-06-2022, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by ekibec
In MB shop (dealer)they say that the problem is R and they have to replace the complete gearbox mechatronics, because the problem is gearbox.. i just dont belive them, because if the problem is mechatronic i could not drive the car..
why would you say that? The tranny problem seem to be a minor one, thats why you are able to drive the car. If it is critical, the computer would not let you drive it. If the dealer pull up a reverse error code, why would you doubt them? Maybe get a second opinion from another dealer.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,868 Likes on 3,042 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
The shop probably means the conductor plate, which contains hydraulic solenoid valves and speed sensors, among other things. These are known to go bad on MB transmissions.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:52 PM

e class
Originally Posted by The G Man
why would you say that? The tranny problem seem to be a minor one, thats why you are able to drive the car. If it is critical, the computer would not let you drive it. If the dealer pull up a reverse error code, why would you doubt them? Maybe get a second opinion from another dealer.
because they didnt want to look for the error, they just say you need to replace everything. They look in to computer for code and say we need to replace gearbox...

when i get second opinion, i let you know what he told me.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,063 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
hot limp-modes...

Tranny refuse to shift in D1/2 after long drives... only goes into D3 eventually.

if you want to get helped for free... you need to look for evidence by scanning your OBD2 port.

When the problem happens, try to turn off the car for 2mn or 3 mn to let F-SAM power down your ECU + TCU for a fresh start.

This quick reset temporarily fixes soft limp-modes that are caused by CAN glitches and marginal voltages.

A better reset is to reboot the whole car by disconnecting the battery.

At any rate, you have a chance to avoid paying for a rebuilt tranny! Hopefully you won't need one.
🤞

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 04-07-2022 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:02 AM

e class
When the car cool down it works normally, but after long distence when car heats up and you stop on red light it turn gear in to neutral.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
because they didnt want to look for the error, they just say you need to replace everything. They look in to computer for code and say we need to replace gearbox...

when i get second opinion, i let you know what he told me.
I am assuming you are out of warranty, otherwise, the dealer would have at least try to pull the code.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:00 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes W164 350 2006, Gas 4matic 272 hp/ Mercedes W201 190D/ Mercedes W213 E220D 4matic
You were at dealer and they didn't give you a list of error codes stored in your ECU ? WTF ?! Did you pay them for diagnostics ? If so, they must give you the list. If not, firstly go and find an indy shop with STAR diagnosis and he can read the car properly. It's very essential to know the exact fault code. My guess is that it's something with the gearbox plate and solenoids inside..
Old 04-08-2022, 08:40 AM

e class
Originally Posted by Klimfilt
You were at dealer and they didn't give you a list of error codes stored in your ECU ? WTF ?! Did you pay them for diagnostics ? If so, they must give you the list. If not, firstly go and find an indy shop with STAR diagnosis and he can read the car properly. It's very essential to know the exact fault code. My guess is that it's something with the gearbox plate and solenoids inside..

No.. they just say we need to replace the mechatronic and if i want i can leave for few hours to chance transmission oil...
also they just told me how much it will the replacement cost🙄
Old 04-09-2022, 07:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E300 Sport/ Diamond White
When I try to put the gear to D, it will automatically jump to neutral. If I continue to flick the gear lever several times, the car will start in D3, and the gear will not be lower than D3 in the following driving. This happens when i drive long distence, if i drive short distence car works normally. Did some of MB drivers have the same problem?
I had a very similar situation on a 2017 Selenite Gray w/Black E300 I had new after 13 months of driving it. They could never fix it.

After 57 days in the shop I was finally at my boiling point. I called the dealer and through them Mercedes and laid into them and threatened to sue them under the Texas Lemon Law.

Within 24 hours I had a call from Mercedes telling me to just go pick out a new E and they would eat the difference and give me the same great deal I had on the 2017 so I did and picked out a Designo White Metallic with nut brown interior. This 2018 has been a perfect car.

The following users liked this post:
fleuger99 (03-07-2024)
Old 04-09-2022, 11:43 AM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Dallasite is my new hero!
Old 03-06-2024, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE43

I know this is an old thread. But the same issue just happened to my car. Did you find out what exactly was the problem? How did you fix it?

Info: The car is 2017 GLE 43 AMG. The engine light turned on two days ago. And I pulled a code P0730e from the car. the message was "unable to engage reverse". Then the next thing I notice was the exactly issue you described above. It only happens randomly. Not all the time.

Last edited by iviax; 03-06-2024 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:50 AM

e class
Originally Posted by iviax
I know this is an old thread. But the same issue just happened to my car. Did you find out what exactly was the problem? How did you fix it?

Info: The car is 2017 GLE 43 AMG. The engine light turned on two days ago. And I pulled a code P0730e from the car. the message was "unable to engage reverse". Then the next thing I notice was the exactly issue you described above. It only happens randomly. Not all the time.
it happens when you drive the car for some time and when the machine is warm..

they have to replace the mechatronic in the gearbox. MB didn't want to give some help with warranty, because my car have 201205km, so i have to paid..

i found the dealer shop who fixed my car and said that the oil in transmission was leaking and that we have to replace the oil in transmission every 60000km even if the MB servis tell that we have to change it every 120000km..
i think that MB have problems with mechatronic in gearbox in models 2017..
Old 03-09-2024, 12:47 PM

GLE43
it happens when you drive the car for some time and when the machine is warm..

they have to replace the mechatronic in the gearbox. MB didn't want to give some help with warranty, because my car have 201205km, so i have to paid..

i found the dealer shop who fixed my car and said that the oil in transmission was leaking and that we have to replace the oil in transmission every 60000km even if the MB servis tell that we have to change it every 120000km..
i think that MB have problems with mechatronic in gearbox in models 2017..
The symptoms you described with your car is exactly the same as mine now. It happens Only when I drive it for a while, and it’s a pain in the *** if I need to park it. I have no trouble to shift it to R, even though the code p073e is unable to engage reverse. Shifting it to D takes a few tries and it will go to D3 directly.

I haven’t sent the car to the Mercedes dealership yet because I found out that they don’t do repairing . They only replace. They will use a scanner to diagnose what the problem might be then tell you to replace the whole thing. No mechanical repair is needed in their business model. It happened to me last year with two other issues with this same car. My car has 70k miles on it, it’s out of warranty. I wonder is it necessary to replace the whole transmission. Can it be just a transmission control module replacement?

Is your car a 2017 model as well? I had transmission service done at the MB dealership before 60k miles. at this moment it sounds like I am **** out of luck.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:31 PM

e class
The symptoms you described with your car is exactly the same as mine now. It happens Only when I drive it for a while, and it’s a pain in the *** if I need to park it. I have no trouble to shift it to R, even though the code p073e is unable to engage reverse. Shifting it to D takes a few tries and it will go to D3 directly.

I haven’t sent the car to the Mercedes dealership yet because I found out that they don’t do repairing . They only replace. They will use a scanner to diagnose what the problem might be then tell you to replace the whole thing. No mechanical repair is needed in their business model. It happened to me last year with two other issues with this same car. My car has 70k miles on it, it’s out of warranty. I wonder is it necessary to replace the whole transmission. Can it be just a transmission control module replacement?

Is your car a 2017 model as well? I had transmission service done at the MB dealership before 60k miles. at this moment it sounds like I am **** out of luck.
yes i have e class 2017..

i found the other mechanic who only repairs MB cars, so he fix it. I paid a lot smaller price then in MB service. He replaced mechatronic and now i can enjoy in drive.. he told me that transmission oil was leaking so that was problem for transmission..ask someone to look in transmission oil and what color it is... i hope you fix you MB. I was in the same position like you now.

sorry my english it's not good🙃

Old 03-09-2024, 03:47 PM

GLE43
yes i have e class 2017..

i found the other mechanic who only repairs MB cars, so he fix it. I paid a lot smaller price then in MB service. He replaced mechatronic and now i can enjoy in drive.. he told me that transmission oil was leaking so that was problem for transmission..ask someone to look in transmission oil and what color it is... i hope you fix you MB. I was in the same position like you now.

sorry my english it's not good🙃
thank you for sharing your experience with the issue. That’s what I am going to do as well. There is a local mechanic who is very busy but do honest work. I will have him to fix this issue for me and all my car maintenance work will go to him from now on. I am done with Mercedes dealership.

Last year, I replaced the radiator and they quoted me $2700. After I confronted them about the price, they dropped it down to $1900. How can you have so much profit margin if a customer doesn’t do his research? Same thing happened when they told me to replace a coolant thermostat on my car, $2700 again. It turned out only a purge valve and a pipe need to be replaced.

Sometimes I think Mercedes cars are not for people like me who have limited knowledge in cars and lacking of skills to fix our own cars. Well, at least we learnt our lessons. Stay away from the dealership.

thanks again.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:02 AM

e class
thank you for sharing your experience with the issue. That’s what I am going to do as well. There is a local mechanic who is very busy but do honest work. I will have him to fix this issue for me and all my car maintenance work will go to him from now on. I am done with Mercedes dealership.

Last year, I replaced the radiator and they quoted me $2700. After I confronted them about the price, they dropped it down to $1900. How can you have so much profit margin if a customer doesn’t do his research? Same thing happened when they told me to replace a coolant thermostat on my car, $2700 again. It turned out only a purge valve and a pipe need to be replaced.

Sometimes I think Mercedes cars are not for people like me who have limited knowledge in cars and lacking of skills to fix our own cars. Well, at least we learnt our lessons. Stay away from the dealership.

thanks again.
yes, for that issue in MB dealership they told me that replace will cost 9000€..
Omg it's sooo funny 3 years ago they also wanted to replace coolant thermostat on my car and they said my coolant thermostat have the hole in it but also i can drove my car normally and that i can make 1000km before i come back to replace.. i thought if i need replace the coolant how can you tell me how many kilometers i can make with car? I didint replace coolant thermostat and my car it's still working.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with transmission