Sponsored by:

Overheating transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63s
Overheating transmission fluid

Sadly after replacing a punctured aux radiator, and intercooler pump, and topping off the coolant. My transmission fluid is still indicating above 210F. It starts at around 82F on startup and slowly creeps up 2-3 degrees every 10 secs or so until it hits 200F then my car starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner. Any ideas as to why I still have this issue even after replacing multiple parts?
Old 06-10-2022, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by Blxckc63s
Sadly after replacing a punctured aux radiator, and intercooler pump, and topping off the coolant. My transmission fluid is still indicating above 210F. It starts at around 82F on startup and slowly creeps up 2-3 degrees every 10 secs or so until it hits 200F then my car starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner. Any ideas as to why I still have this issue even after replacing multiple parts?
Sound like you might have bubbles in your system.
The following users liked this post:
Blxckc63s (06-19-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 501 Likes on 339 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
If you're certain there's no more leaks then it sounds like you've got bubbles in the system.

Did you replace the aux radiator with a brand new one? Or used?
Blxckc63s (06-19-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 01:22 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by Klinh
Sound like you might have bubbles in your system.
I’ve tried purging the air with squeezing hoses while heat is on blast, a few bubbles came up but the problem still persists with the higher than normal temps
Old 06-10-2022, 01:24 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
If you're certain there's no more leaks then it sounds like you've got bubbles in the system.

Did you replace the aux radiator with a brand new one? Or used?
brand new aux radiator from csf, brand new pumps from fcp and third party dealer
Old 06-10-2022, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
I’ve tried purging the air with squeezing hoses
What? Spend the money and take it to the dealer to have it done correctly.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:08 PM

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts
2018 C63s
I’ve tried purging the air with squeezing hoses while heat is on blast, a few bubbles came up but the problem still persists with the higher than normal temps
*****You need to fill the system up the correct way using a coolant refill tool that seals well. No way on a complex modern cooling system like what is on these cars that you can get anywhere near purging the air in that system by squeezing the hoses - the water pumps don't prime as easily on this type of system and it is very easy to cause cavitation. You overheat that transmission enough, you will overheat the bands, steels, and friction plates in that transmission and that heat will just kill or reduce the longevity of it. A rebuilt trans for the C63s done by a competent professional using decent quality components will eat up $4-5k easily with removal, installation and reprogramming, etc..

Do it right.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:19 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by MaxVO2
*****You need to fill the system up the correct way using a coolant refill tool that seals well. No way on a complex modern cooling system like what is on these cars that you can get anywhere near purging the air in that system by squeezing the hoses - the water pumps don't prime as easily on this type of system and it is very easy to cause cavitation. You overheat that transmission enough, you will overheat the bands, steels, and friction plates in that transmission and that heat will just kill or reduce the longevity of it. A rebuilt trans for the C63s done by a competent professional using decent quality components will eat up $4-5k easily with removal, installation and reprogramming, etc..

Do it right.

Thanks for the information, I thought the funnel fill kit would’ve been sufficient enough. But I will take it in and have them do a coolant flush professionally.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:58 AM

C63s

UPDATE; took it in and had them purge air from system aswell as top off coolant. Temps are steady around the 180 mark. Thanks to everyone who had an input.
jj18 (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 501 Likes on 339 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
UPDATE; took it in and had them purge air from system aswell as top off coolant. Temps are steady around the 180 mark. Thanks to everyone who had an input.
This is good news to hear. Glad the car is sorted mate 🙌
Old 04-30-2024, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
c63S W205
A little late to the party, but I am experiencing similar issues. If anyone knows, is it possible to successfully purge air from the system without draining the whole system and refilling using vacuum?