Hitch and tail light wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 02:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
B250 W246
Hitch and tail light wiring

I just installed a hitch on my Canadian spec W246 B250 4Matic and was wondering if anyone has any insight into the tail light wiring. I have 5 wires going to each rear light assembly. One is ground and one is a Diagnostic wire, leaving me with three wires which I probed with the results shown below. These are the LED tail lights. I'm showing just the left side, but the right has the same result. Point of interest. The tail lights have all red lights, no amber lights. The turn signal is red, and it is also the brake light. I thought I would detail everything here in case someone can help, and then the info will be here for the next person that tries. I'm using a trailer adapter that 'reads' the signal from the light wires and send current to the corresponding circuit. (Tekonsha ZCI)

Grey/black - shows current present when Brake, Turn or Tail are active.
Black/Yellow - shows current present when Tail is active
Yellow/White - shows current present when Brake and Turn are active.

My trailer has shared brake/turn, and separate tail so I wired turn signals to Yellow/White, and it works as expected, flashing as a turn signal and when the brakes are applied.
I wired the trailer tail lights to the Black/Yellow wire and they appear to work, at first. However there are two issues. One is that the trailer tail lights will come on randomly, when the lights on the vehicle are off. If I switch my car lights on and off again, the trailer lights go off for a while, but eventually come back on. The second issue is that the trailer tail light wires come on a few minutes after the car has been turned off. They stay on for about 10 minutes, then go out for a while, then come back on again. They can cycle like this all night.

Anyone have an suggestions? I've seen a few posts on MB, Audi, VW, and Porsche forums with the same issue, but so far no helpful answers.

Last edited by WellKnownHermit; 02-29-2024 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hey Hoser (02-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B250 2019
Hi! Sorry I can’t help you with your wiring problem but would like
to ask you what make and model
is the hitch you installed? I have the exact same car and am having a hard time finding a hitch for it… Thanks!
Old 05-02-2024, 09:07 PM

B250 W246
I installed a Reese 44777 hitch, made for a GLA250. The mounting holes for the GLA250 steel bumper are the same as the B250. I had to put spacers between the body and the hitch to mount it 3/4 inch farther so it would clear the wheel well area of the body. Draw-tite also makes a hitch for the GLA250. What country are you in?

Stock steel bumper under bodywork

Reese 44777 Hitch for a GLA250.

Plates 3/4" thick, same hole pattern as hitch and OEM bumper mounts

Hitch installed on plates, using longer Grade 8 bolts.
Hey Hoser (05-02-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:31 PM

B250 2019
Awesome, thank you very much for the info and the pics!
I’m in Canada, Montreal to be precise.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:35 PM

B250 W246
I got my hitch at Canadian Tire. The Reese model is 44777. Drawtite model is 75223.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:04 AM

B250 2019
Great thanks, I found both models online, but the bolts on the bumper seem welded on from what I can see in online pics, does that mean you didn’t reinstall the stock steel bumper?

Last edited by lookiel; 05-04-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:55 PM

B250 W246
That is correct. You do not reinstall the stock bumper. The hitch replaces it. The instructions show it being reinstalled, but I suspect that is so that they don't have to provide the hardware. With the OEM Mercedes hitch you discard the OEM steel bumper. I'm not sure but the bolts on the OEM steel bumper may be pressed in, like lug nuts on a domestic or Japanese car. You may be able to get longer ones pressed in.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:13 PM

B250 2019
Makes sense,
I didn’t know there was an oem hitch, probably discontinued a while back.
I have the oem roof bars that I can install and would just need to purchase a bike rack but I prefer a hitch rack, just need to figure out what’s less of a hassle/cost…
Thanks for your replies!
Old 05-05-2024, 07:44 PM

B250 W246
It was never offered in Canada. There is an OEM hitch and several aftermarket ones available in Europe, but they all use the 50mm fixed ball standard, and not a receiver style hitch. It also comes with the full wiring kit, but then you have to get a dealer to program the trailer adapter, and I doubt a Canadian dealer would be able to do that since it was never an option in North America.

https://etowbars.com/Towbars/Mercedes/Class-B

Hey Hoser (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:30 PM

B250 2019
I had seen the euro ones but as you pointed out there’s no receiver only a ball so no go.

i decided to go with a roof rack for now as it’s less hassle than fabricating the spacers and the installation of the hitch bar and I already have the cross bars. I’ll see how it goes and maybe do the installation next year if I’m unhappy with the roof setup. Thanks again for the info!