S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2016 / 17 S550 - What Packages are a must vs a pass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus LS460
2016 / 17 S550 - What Packages are a must vs a pass?

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this post (and hopefully respond). I guess I am long time Lexus owner (LS400, LS430 2003, LS460 2013) that has finally decided (I think) to get an S-class. I am focusing on a 2016 or 2017 (maybe the 2015, but I am unsure) low mileage (under 60,000 miles). Over the last several weeks, I've read these boards constantly and have learned more than a few things. I have a few questions that I'd like to get some insight on.

The first question is what packages are must in your perspective versus a nice to have (on a side note, these cars have many more options than I imagined)? For instance, rear reclining seats sound cool, but I don't think I'll be in the back seat (like LL, plus this is not a jeep). I've read some posts that say the NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE leather is a must. I know the AMG body styling package doesn't do anything for me. So for those of you with the 2016 / 17 /15 S550 what packages do you look at as essential? Does anyone have the entertainment package for the rear seat?

Second question, I'm hoping to buy a CPO vehicle and then add the extended warranty to hopefully get three years of warranty (another side note I have had warranty on all of my Lexus vehicles and they have saved me some serious cash, especially on the LS460 which I think is a lemon LOL. I'm a big fan of warranties - end of side note). If I don't get the car from a Mercedes dealership, am I still able to buy a Mercedes extended warranty or would I have to go to Fidelity or another 3rd party?

I think that is it with questions. Once again, thanks!

Old 06-28-2024, 01:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2016 S550
I wouldn’t go with a 2015, to ensure you got the cast iron liners..whether it made a difference or not, I’d rather go with the newer variant.
I believe 2017s, or some 2017s, came with the 9 speed automatic although keeping the m278..not too sure how I feel about that. Heard mixed reviews.

Anyways, on topic, in my opinion, the must haves would be the Surround View camera and unlocking intelligent lighting system.

Things that I don’t care for on my car and could do without, would be the parking sensors and panoramic sunroof. Parking sensors are obsolete with surround view.

Things that are nice to have, but not really all that great: Massage seats. Although I like everything else about the seats, which I think only come with massage seats (dynamic contouring).
Lane keep assist, self parking, are features I seldom ever use.

Things I wish my car hard? 3D surround system, although it’s probably not really all that. HUD, and Night Vision as well, although the latter probably is just a gimmicky party trick. Rear reclining seats for my passengers, I also prefer the look of those seats.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:45 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I have a 2020 S560 so it's a bit different. I really miss having a CD player. Sure you can load up a USB stick but I still have many CDs like most people. I guess the model year you're looking at had both a CD changer and a media drive? My husband's old BMW had one.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:50 AM

Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by LexyBenz
Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this post (and hopefully respond). I guess I am long time Lexus owner (LS400, LS430 2003, LS460 2013) that has finally decided (I think) to get an S-class. I am focusing on a 2016 or 2017 (maybe the 2015, but I am unsure) low mileage (under 60,000 miles). Over the last several weeks, I've read these boards constantly and have learned more than a few things. I have a few questions that I'd like to get some insight on.

The first question is what packages are must in your perspective versus a nice to have (on a side note, these cars have many more options than I imagined)? For instance, rear reclining seats sound cool, but I don't think I'll be in the back seat (like LL, plus this is not a jeep). I've read some posts that say the NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE leather is a must. I know the AMG body styling package doesn't do anything for me. So for those of you with the 2016 / 17 /15 S550 what packages do you look at as essential? Does anyone have the entertainment package for the rear seat?

Second question, I'm hoping to buy a CPO vehicle and then add the extended warranty to hopefully get three years of warranty (another side note I have had warranty on all of my Lexus vehicles and they have saved me some serious cash, especially on the LS460 which I think is a lemon LOL. I'm a big fan of warranties - end of side note). If I don't get the car from a Mercedes dealership, am I still able to buy a Mercedes extended warranty or would I have to go to Fidelity or another 3rd party?

I surely hope you get some helpful answers, but based on my reviewing posts here for a while, I think your replies will come from Minimalists like myself, who ordered his '18 S56o with only about two options, and who uses only cruise control of the provided standard factory-installed gimmicks, to Maximumists who like to load up a new car.

Old 06-28-2024, 01:04 PM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lou B
I surely hope you get some helpful answers, but based on my reviewing posts here for a while, I think your replies will come from Minimalists like myself, who ordered his '18 S56o with only about two options, and who uses only cruise control of the provided standard factory-installed gimmicks, to Maximumists who like to load up a new car.
How do you like your roll down windows? 😂

Just teasing because 20 years ago I custom ordered one of the only C240s with a manual transmission, And navigation etc. I never saw another manual C240. I had to explain to a few valets how to put it in reverse.

(They didn’t bother to tell me the automatic had a manual mode but maybe that was only on the E/S class.)
Old 07-01-2024, 01:43 PM
SPONSOR

Received 246 Likes on 190 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by LexyBenz
(another side note I have had warranty on all of my Lexus vehicles and they have saved me some serious cash, especially on the LS460 which I think is a lemon LOL. I'm a big fan of warranties - end of side note). If I don't get the car from a Mercedes dealership, am I still able to buy a Mercedes extended warranty or would I have to go to Fidelity or another 3rd party?

A lemon Lexus?? Talk about unlucky! To answer your warranty question, yes you can purchase a Fidelity warranty for the vehicle, dealer vs non dealer does not matter. The Mercedes-Benz dealerships would just be offering 3rd party warranty coverage for the vehicle as well, there are not any OEM coverage options for the vehicles you're looking at these days.

You can reach me at my contact information below for Fidelity Platinum extended warranty coverage pricing, coverage lengths, deductible options, and an example contract that explains coverage.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
The following users liked this post:
LexyBenz (07-04-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 347 Likes on 258 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Back to the OP's question: The essential options for me on a 2016/17 are:
  • Surround view camera
  • Warmth and comfort package
  • Heads-up display
"Driver's Assistance" and "Premium Pkg" are already found on almost every US S-class so not listing them out separately

AMG Styling is nice, but not essential

Nappa leather comes standard on 2016/17 S550s. Exclusive Nappa is very nice, and the Designo Semi-Aniline is even nicer.

The very rare, and very expensive options are:
  • Magic Body Control
  • Magic Sky Control
  • Night Vision Assist
  • Various Rear Seat items: separate rear A/C, Rear Seat Entertainment system, etc. (note: power rear seats w/memory are already in Warmth & Comfort)
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:46 PM

2020 S560 4Matic
I REALLY wanted the rear seat entertainment and executive (?) packages with the foot rest. Oh and the fridge but my trunk is already small enough. I do have rear seats. Mine was a diplomatic vehicle so I thought it would have some of those.

I wish I could have the Split View COMAND screen to watch movies.

Oh and when I told my husband he would drive with me in the back seat he said “hell no”.

Last edited by zitsky; 07-01-2024 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 06:42 AM

Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts
Various
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
Back to the OP's question: The essential options for me on a 2016/17 are:
  • Surround view camera
  • Warmth and comfort package
  • Heads-up display
"Driver's Assistance" and "Premium Pkg" are already found on almost every US S-class so not listing them out separately

AMG Styling is nice, but not essential

Nappa leather comes standard on 2016/17 S550s. Exclusive Nappa is very nice, and the Designo Semi-Aniline is even nicer.

The very rare, and very expensive options are:
  • Magic Body Control
  • Magic Sky Control
  • Night Vision Assist
  • Various Rear Seat items: separate rear A/C, Rear Seat Entertainment system, etc. (note: power rear seats w/memory are already in Warmth & Comfort)
Agree with all of this.

Mom is in the backseat a lot so the Warmth and Comfort is important to us especially with heated seats.
Wish my car had the HUD.
The 3D sound is nice and glad we have it.
The Magic Sky Control is nice also, was't looking for it, but it was on the car, Nice option.
I use the adaptive driver aids all the time on long road trips, I'd call it a must have, and I've seen only one S that did not have it.
I didn't care about the AMG package but wanted 19" wheels for better ride quality. More choices out there with the AMG/19" combo.

I'm really disappointed in how the base or fairly well optioned S-Class gets AC to the back seats. No dedicated controls unless you find one of the rare rear seat packages.
Old 07-02-2024, 08:04 AM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by NbyNW
Agree with all of this.

Mom is in the backseat a lot so the Warmth and Comfort is important to us especially with heated seats.
Wish my car had the HUD.
The 3D sound is nice and glad we have it.
The Magic Sky Control is nice also, was't looking for it, but it was on the car, Nice option.
I use the adaptive driver aids all the time on long road trips, I'd call it a must have, and I've seen only one S that did not have it.
I didn't care about the AMG package but wanted 19" wheels for better ride quality. More choices out there with the AMG/19" combo.

I'm really disappointed in how the base or fairly well optioned S-Class gets AC to the back seats. No dedicated controls unless you find one of the rare rear seat packages.
Agree. Sad that a $100,000 car does not have 4 zone climate control. I was surprised I had the rear adjustable seats with heat/cool but no climate controls back there. Will MB bring that back as standard? Was it ever standard?
Old 07-04-2024, 10:27 AM

Lexus LS460
Thanks everyone for the feedback. These cars seems to have a dizzying amount of options. Does the 2016/17 S class come with cooled seats as standard or is that part of Warmth and Comfort? I don't used my cooling seat function much on the LS, but it is helpful in TX with these hot summer days. HUD I have had on loaner vehicles and I really like it. I may lean towards the Surround View Camera as well. I don't think I have seen that option or 3D sound on many of the vehicles I have looked at. I like my CD player and would love to hear how 3D sounds comes across. I spend most of my time on satellite radio, though - does 3D sound work with satellite? Also, I don't know why, but I am definitely leaning towards the rear seat package.

I test drove a 2017 S550 the other day and one of the plastic buttons on the rear window control broke off - oops. I am not sure I blame the previous owner or is that build quality. Somewhat separate subject and maybe should be a new post - for those of you who purchased pre-owned did you buy from; A. Mercedes Dealer, B. Other Brand Dealer (Porsche, Chevy, Audi, etc.), C. Private Seller, or D. No-name auto dealer? My cars have all been pre-owned and have been purchased at the Lexus dealership, except for the 1st LS400 which I purchased from a Private Seller. Fortunately, I obtained a 3rd party warranty as the private seller wasn't upfront with me and the AC died quickly and no AC in FL (at the time is never fun). I am leaning towards a MB dealership, but wonder might I be missing opportunities with other Brand Dealers. I am staying away from the No-name dealers and am on the fence with private sellers.
Old 07-04-2024, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 541 Likes on 401 Posts
222 S-65
OP you will get the best deal on a car purchased from a private party.

MB will charge to inspect it. Have them pull a VMI. Ask nicely and your service advisor will print a copy for you. ‘Vehicle Master Inquiry.’ It will include everything ever done by Mercedes. The right car will have only been molested by Mercedes. Read and understand service records.

Getting what you want in the car will be the biggest challenge as you are not clicking boxes as you order a brand new car.

You are moving from Lexus.... You are accustomed to driving a sensory deprivation chamber. If you are into quiet, serene, smooth ride with all the toys find an S600. 540hp V-12 will be quiet. Powerful. Smooth. It will have Magic Body Control. This has to be experienced. It will already have the options on your list including four zone climate control and the useless (to me!) TV screens on back of front seats. If you are into fancy audio the S-600 will have the Burmester High end audio. Bass you can feel in the car that is not heard by the neighborhood. Best audio I have encountered in a car. I doubt there are any S600’s equipped with Carbon Ceramic brakes... but if you can find one jump on it. Brake pads and rotors last and last. Iron brake jobs happen too often for too many $$$.

Be sure to get with Peter aka BenzNinja to have a number of software changes made. Jail breaking intelligent lighting is a must. He has a long list of software changes that will make the car that much more enjoyable.

Get the Fidelity Platinum warranty with coverage longer than you expect to own the car as you WILL fall in love with it... or she will and it will stay with you longer than expected.

Best wishes at your search. Finding the right car is well worth the effort.

Last edited by JohnLane; 07-04-2024 at 11:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnLane:
Highline-Autos.com (07-05-2024), NbyNW (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 02:47 PM

Lexus LS460
JL , thanks for the recommendations and the laugh regarding the LS "driving a sensory deprivation chamber"