S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 reverse camera NO blue line (p8510)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w221 s350 2007
W221 reverse camera NO blue line (p8510)

Hi everyone, I recently scanned my W221 Mercedes-Benz and encountered the following error codes: 1. 8510: \"Plug ZA82 (Backup camera connector) is not inserted or the video cable is defective." 2. 8520: "The backup camera is not calibrated."

Additionally, when I shift into reverse, the screen goes black without displaying the usual blue guidelines. Has anyone else experienced these issues? How did you go about fixing them? Please help 🙏

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
The obvious answer would be: check that connector and the cable?
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 781 Posts
S500
check on a chassis decode tool - does it have this feature from the factory
or is it a simple after-market addon

camera calibration of the OEM set up is a normal feature - certainly on the active guideline cars pre 2008, as these ones has a separate module that present steering wheel angle active guidelines - however there are two iterations with a parking assist as a secondary option - which I think is the blue lines

218 REAR-VIEW CAMERA
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS) -
229 PARK ASSIST - I have this with active blue lines
230 PARKING GUIDANCE - not sure

Last edited by BOTUS; Yesterday at 12:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

w221 s350 2007
Originally Posted by BOTUS
check on a chassis decode tool - does it have this feature from the factory
or is it a simple after-market addon

camera calibration of the OEM set up is a normal feature - certainly on the active guideline cars pre 2008, as these ones has a separate module that present steering wheel angle active guidelines - however there are two iterations with a parking assist as a secondary option - which I think is the blue lines

218 REAR-VIEW CAMERA
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS) -
229 PARK ASSIST - I have this with active blue lines
230 PARKING GUIDANCE - not sure
I checked the VIN (WDD2210562A092171), and it seems the car only has options 218 (Rear-View Camera) and 220 (Parktronic System). So, it doesn't list Park Assist (229) or Parking Guidance (230).

I’m unsure if the camera is original or not. I opened the boot trim and checked the connection behind the camera, and it’s properly connected. Is there any other place I should check to confirm if it’s OEM? Also, I’m not sure where the module is located. How can I check if the camera is original? Any tips would be appreciated. 😑
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

w221 s350 2007
Originally Posted by Jaap
The obvious answer would be: check that connector and the cable?
I checked the connection behind the camera, and it was properly connected. Are there any other areas or related parts I should inspect to ensure everything is properly connected?
Old Today, 04:30 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
Was it a 4-pin connector?
You could also check the power and ground (probably red and black) with a test light (use a incandescent one, not a LED one so you can see if the light is really dim => bad connection)
The 2 signal wires are a bit harder to test but not impossible if you're really in the mood.

Last edited by Jaap; Today at 04:31 AM.
Old Today, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 781 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by millirus
I checked the VIN (WDD2210562A092171), and it seems the car only has options 218 (Rear-View Camera) and 220 (Parktronic System). So, it doesn't list Park Assist (229) or Parking Guidance (230).

I’m unsure if the camera is original or not. I opened the boot trim and checked the connection behind the camera, and it’s properly connected. Is there any other place I should check to confirm if it’s OEM? Also, I’m not sure where the module is located. How can I check if the camera is original? Any tips would be appreciated. 😑
what age car ?

PTS I believe is the visible round ultrasonic parking sensors that became standard around mid 2007
Mine uses the early invisible radar sensors front and rear that is either of the options 229 or 230 (always get muddled knowing which is which)

I believe later 221s didn't get active guidelines - I think they dropped the asin module (Japanese module near left boot hinge) and just did static when in came the black plastic cameras
years later many cars are back with fast computers and active guidelines made a comeback just stealing a bit of info of the ESP steering angle data and a chip in the head unit does the maths

I believe the facelift cars get red static guidelines using a switchable choice inside the comand headunit
After-market cameras often have a switchable static setup inside the camera (where some can disable, so as not to argue with say a merc comand that shows its own static stuff)

std merc camera connector in photo (note metal camera vs black plastic facelift camera swaps two wire locations) - whereas normal after-market idea uses phono RCA plugs

the eary cars active setup

Old Today, 05:55 AM

w221 s350 2007
Originally Posted by Jaap
Was it a 4-pin connector?
You could also check the power and ground (probably red and black) with a test light (use a incandescent one, not a LED one so you can see if the light is really dim => bad connection)
The 2 signal wires are a bit harder to test but not impossible if you're really in the mood.
Im sorry the only things iv done i check a wire behind a camera . Are you talking about other parts ? Where are they located ? Where is a ground cable ? I have no idea honestly .
Old Today, 07:01 AM

w221 s350 2007
Originally Posted by BOTUS
what age car ?

PTS I believe is the visible round ultrasonic parking sensors that became standard around mid 2007
Mine uses the early invisible radar sensors front and rear that is either of the options 229 or 230 (always get muddled knowing which is which)

I believe later 221s didn't get active guidelines - I think they dropped the asin module (Japanese module near left boot hinge) and just did static when in came the black plastic cameras
years later many cars are back with fast computers and active guidelines made a comeback just stealing a bit of info of the ESP steering angle data and a chip in the head unit does the maths

I believe the facelift cars get red static guidelines using a switchable choice inside the comand headunit
After-market cameras often have a switchable static setup inside the camera (where some can disable, so as not to argue with say a merc comand that shows its own static stuff)

std merc camera connector in photo (note metal camera vs black plastic facelift camera swaps two wire locations) - whereas normal after-market idea uses phono RCA plugs

the eary cars active setup
My car is 2007 w221 s350
Are the photos you shared from a car manufactured before 2009? What steps should I take to fix the issue? How can I ensure that all the connections are plugged in properly? Could you explain what the silver box in the photo is? Should I check the wiring behind the camera or focus on the silver box?"