SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Door Handle Color Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500
Door Handle Color Change

I want to make the black door handles on my silver 1997 SL500 the same color as the car like the 99+ models.

Questions:

1. If the stock 1997 black door handles are painted to match the car will the paint last?

2. Are the door handles on the 99+ SLs the same door handles as the ones on my car now? Same shape, material, etc?

3. From every picture that I can find it seems that the rubber gaskets that surround the door handles are always black regardless of the color of the car. Is this correct?

4. Is there anything else that I need to know?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
I read where most people paint their handles to match, have not seen mention of handles themselves upgraded. But several have upgraded their interior door panels and mentioned there are changes between old and new door internals. You may should search mbnz.org and other forums too.

-brett
Old 05-11-2005, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by sl500_dallas
I want to make the black door handles on my silver 1997 SL500 the same color as the car like the 99+ models.

Questions:

1. If the stock 1997 black door handles are painted to match the car will the paint last?

2. Are the door handles on the 99+ SLs the same door handles as the ones on my car now? Same shape, material, etc?

3. From every picture that I can find it seems that the rubber gaskets that surround the door handles are always black regardless of the color of the car. Is this correct?

4. Is there anything else that I need to know?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

1. If you paint the stock door handles, the paint will eventually come off... especially considering the temperature range of where you live. Yes, I have seen this happen many times (and in California).

2. No, the door handles are not the same... they come prepainted from the factory. I believe the material differs so that the paint will adhere; or, they may be powder coated. But what they are made of is really moot; just get new ones.

3. There is only one rubber gasket used from 1993 to 2002. So they are all the same color.

-s-
Old 05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
the door handle on the outside will not stay painted. my friend did this and like 3 days later they started to chip because the handle (black one) has little perferations in it, thus far makeing the paint not able to stick to it.

mark

oh, and he also when to a AAAA++++ paint shoppee.

mark
Old 05-11-2005, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I think scorchie is correct, they're powder coated and will be difficult to repaint.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by blueSL
I think scorchie is correct, they're powder coated and will be difficult to repaint.
I understand that whatever's powdercoated needs to be electrically conductive and then heated, so plastic handles would be excluded from this process.

I have read in various forums that some have painted MB plastic, including the handles, by adding a "flex agent" to the paint so it will not be brittle. A actual layer of clearcoat helps too.

-Brett
Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by gocargo
I understand that whatever's powdercoated needs to be electrically conductive and then heated, so plastic handles would be excluded from this process.

I have read in various forums that some have painted MB plastic, including the handles, by adding a "flex agent" to the paint so it will not be brittle. A actual layer of clearcoat helps too.

-Brett
You have some misconceptions about powdercoating (I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought up the heat issue; you're very quick!).

1) For the powder to adhere, the device must be electrostatically charged. This is the key... static electricity. As you know, just about anything can carry such a charge.

2) Powder can be obtained in low-heat versions, and be thermosetting. This means that a low amount of heat is needed to "cure" the powder and reheating beyond that temperature will not cause it to melt or run. This low amount of heat can be within the specs of the door handles (have you seen that plastic? It's pretty tough plastic).

Hobbyist and even many industrial shops will not have all the different powder coating equipment types available to them, so many will not be able to do a wide range of materials.

The flex agent allows the envelope of the paint to not crack, which helps its retention when applied to a door handle. Unfortunately, the door handle is a moving part, and the sides will chafe. Eventually the envelope will wear or crack, and once that happens, with very little adherence to the plastic, the paint will chip off.

The door handles are like $60 each. How much will it cost to get them painted?

-s-
Old 05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
most of the chipping happens on the inner handle and on the sides, my reco. is not to do it....

mark
Old 05-12-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by scorchie
You have some misconceptions about powdercoating ...the door handles are like $60 each.
-s-
I just don't understand why all the paint discussions occoured when yours should have been the first suggestion posted.

If OEM pricing is truely $60 each and if they retrofit, then it would be a no brainer to spend $120 to upgrade the handles.

But I read there were some internal changes made to the r129 doors somewhere around '98, so will the late model r129 OEM painted door handles retrofit into the early r129 doors without modifications?

-brett
Old 05-12-2005, 08:37 PM

2006 SL500
Alright! Thanks for all of the responses, this is great. I bet a lot of people will be interested in this issue. Here's an update with additonal info.

I went to my local MB today and spoke with one of the more knowledgable parts guys there. He told me that the handle part was indeed $95 and came painted. Additionally, he can have them by Monday (could have had them tomorrow if I had been a little earlier). He also said that they would fit perfectly without any modifications. So, obviously, I ordered 2 of them.

As to the other part, where the alarm sensors are. Those are $311 each. Apparently you have to order them with the sensor. My thinking is that I can remove that part and have it painted and it should stay since it really won't be touched too much or moving around. What do you guys think?

I also went ahead and ordered new gaskets just for the heck of it since I will have the handles off the car anyway (around $3 each). For anyone wondering, as I did, the gaskets only come in black regardless of the year model or car color. There was a 2002 Silver Arrow sitting in the parking lot and it had black gaskets. Even the R230s have black gaskets.

Keep the comments coming. Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:39 AM

I think your dealer sells parts 60% more expensive than Scorchie's dealer
Old 05-13-2005, 12:49 AM

2006 SL500
Yeah, different dealers have different prices. Mine is cheaper a lot of times. The price is still cheaper than having them painted I think. Plus, I know they won't peel.