SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Driving and Owning my Baby

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Driving and Owning my Baby

I have only owned my R129 (2001, Designo, Sport Pack.) for a little over two weeks now, but I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy one. Sometimes owning this car reminds me of times when I was younger and I was head over heels in love with a woman -- even to the extent that sometimes I feel like I'm in over my head. I don't care how much she costs me, just being with her is worth it.

My weekday car has been in the shop for this whole week -- the mechanic keeps putting it off, and I don't care, because it means I get to drive my baby to work every day. I only feel bad because I don't want her to get old before her time by being over-used.

Even driving her in Los Angeles traffic is a joy. The power, the responsiveness, the comfort, the great stero, the sophistication, the knowledge that I am driving one of the best production cars to ever come off the line . . . they all combine to make me feel like I am king of the road, even when I am in stop and go traffic.

Years ago, in 1982, when Ford pumped up the Mustang GT (at the time it was the fastest US production car), I went and got one brand new, and yes, it had power, and it would smoke most cars off the light on the street. But the power was unrefined. Sometimes when I punched it, it would sit there and hop on its back tires before it got enough grip on the road to take off. And I spun it on wet roads many times when I went into a tight corner too fast. It was the automotive version of a bull in a china shop. Plenty of power, but it often made a huge mess.

But my R129 is nothing like that. When I ask her to pass someone, she does it without even a little fuss. No smoke of the tires, no shaking, no over-loud engine noises. Just a sweet loving purr and a gentle push back into my seat. Sometimes I cannot tell how fast she did it until I look in the rear-view mirror and see how disproportionatly small the car I just passed looks.

I think: Can that car be so far back in just a few seconds? Am I in a time machine or a car?

Of course I know it is NOT the fastest thing on four wheels. But it is fast enough. And it seems faster because it does it without a fuss.

Sometimes she offers me the best surprises. For example, I head into a tightly wound hairpin, and I think I am going too fast . . . and my heart beats a bit faster . . . but my baby reassures me, and as 35 series tires just hold on, it is as if she tells me "relax, don't worry, I can handle whatever you like."

She reminds me of the best lover I ever had. Once I asked her (the woman), "want to try something new?" The response: "yes". No questions, no worries . . . she had no idea what I had in mind, but she was up for the game.

My R129 makes me feel that way sometimes. I ask her to do something, and she responds, "sure, whatever your pleasure is."

You know, I like my job. But when I get there in the morning, I hate to leave her in the garage by herself. I just want to drive her all day. I hate getting home at night. I just want to drive her all night.

Next week I am going on a road trip to Vegas. My plan is to get up about 3 in the morning to hit the road. I've done it before in lessor cars, including a BMW 5 series. It is a great experiance to be out there in the desert, in the dark, driving, and every part of the world seems invisible, except the road. And the sun starts coming up and the world starts to appear as if came from nowhere, like when God said, "let there be light;" but you know the world was there all the time, it just needed to be seen to be appreciated.

So, there you are driving through it as fast as you like. Few people get in your way. A great car needs to be driven without lessor cars getting in its way to be truely appreciated.

That is what I am looking forward to in a few days -- truely appreciating my wonderful baby. And when I ask her if she wants to try something new, I know she won't let me down. I will hear her sexy purr, and we will be off on the ride of our lives.

How can you not love this car?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
beauteful. i think of my SL as a very good friend, always there for me, reliable, and you feel very safe with her.

great feelings,

MArk
Old 08-18-2005, 12:08 PM

SL60 ///AMG
mebeJOE! You are my man. You have put all my feelings on a sheet of paper. Very nice writen!

Sorry to say, but most of all car owners don´t have this feeling..... but they don´t have the R129 :p

I wonder if some of the R230 owners feel the same as we do. I don´t think that.

/Håkan
Old 08-18-2005, 11:25 PM

2002 SL500
Very nicely written, Joe. Makes me want to take that road to Vegas in the early AM. Have a great trip!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 AM

96 SL500, 97 E420
I feel almost the same way, I've had mine since Thanksgiving. I am going to head up the coast a ways in a weekend or two. I don't think I'd go through the desert (to many bugs, to hot to have the top off, etc) in my SL, I went to Vegas in my E a few months ago. For some reason I like to go faster in it, when I'm in my SL I cruise more, usually never going more than 80-90 though, treating it more as a refined roadster it is. The most fun I have in mine is around 6pm on with the top down cruising. Early morning is nice too.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
MebeJoe.....you say it all.........
Old 08-19-2005, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Well written mebeJOE!

Finally, some one who will take the time to write of the joy derived from driving these cars!

I have enjoyed every second of driving my car since we bought in Dec 2002. I have pushed the car very hard in many ways. She never disappoints.

On a recent 4 day long weekend we drove 1,500 miles round trip from Vancouver BC to Red Deer Alberta to visit family.

The weather was great. Top down all the way! (Last year it rained hard most of the way).

The highways go through many mountain passes. Many fast straight aways, steep hills and winding roads. Single lane each way roads that require lots of power to pass decisively and safely.

After 2 1/2 years of spirited driving in and out of town. On many day trips as well ... this recent trip left me with a renewed respect for the R129.

This car was designed and to gobble up auto-bahn alpine style roads with grace. No hill or passing requirement was taken out of stride.

It was great to cruise at 100 mph for an hour to make up time through gently winding roads in the middle of no where with few other cars around.

Last edited by ChrisB; 08-19-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:04 PM

1998 E320, 1994 320 SL,2000 Ford F 150.1997 Gixxer 1100
An excellent piece of prose there. I am pretty new to the 129 experience, having driven my 300 CE and E 320 for years. There was a BMW 540 for a while too.
For some reason, I never get the urge to be a road warrior in the roadster. I like to put it through all its paces on my favourite stretch of highway. Interstate 81 south from the Canadian Border through the winding, rolling hills of upstate New York.
A combination great views, great car and the 129 experience
Old 08-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Almost a Member!

300E 2.5; 2001 SL500
Red face

Oh my... gentlemen...I certainly hope I dont burst your bubble and have you churning & cringing with disgust but this car could only satisfy the dreams and fullfill the imagination of the curious female looking for the ultimate in pleasure and satisfaction. In otherwords, my SL demonstrates the strength, comfort, and safety net expected of my male partner for life. Although sad, It definately has all the qualities I look for in a relationship. The ride in itself is amazing, not to mention the head turns it generates. Cant put into words the joy I experience in driving and owning my 2001 Sl500. I would however like to put forth a legitamate question to this forum. How do I know what version of black paint I have? I have noticed reference to obsedian and a few others. I purchased the car used 2 years ago and have since vowed to always own the brand. It has become an obsession and priority in my life. If anything at all goes wrong, it is worthy of an immediate fix no matter how costly. Only my children are granted such priviledges. It makes me feel welcome to hear that I am not the only one facinated and in love with his/her automobile. Oh well..I guess it is available in both sexes..male and female. smile

RedTees!
Old 08-20-2005, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some
take your vin # to the closest MBZ dealer and they will tell you what colour it is.

MArk
Old 08-20-2005, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Originally Posted by cbadger
... have since vowed to always own the brand. It has become an obsession and priority in my life. ... smile
RedTees!
Well said. A sentement that I for one share !
Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 AM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Originally Posted by cbadger
Oh my... gentlemen...I certainly hope I dont burst your bubble and have you churning & cringing with disgust but this car could only satisfy the dreams and fullfill the imagination of the curious female looking for the ultimate in pleasure and satisfaction. In otherwords, my SL demonstrates the strength, comfort, and safety net expected of my male partner for life.
Cbadger: No offense taken by me. I try to have some of the qualities of my R129. I want to be stong and a source of security for my loved ones. I want to be powerful and supremely competent at doing my job without calling too much attention to myself. You know, never let them see me sweat. I want to be agile and able to accelerate from 80 to 120 mph in a few seconds .

And I want to be able to give a woman the ride of her life for 300 miles without having to stop to refuel.

Hey . . . I can dream, can't I?????
Old 08-31-2005, 12:18 AM
JAM

SL600
Joe, very well said, the R129 is one great car--you will always enjoy your ride! Makes you feel great on less than perfect days and makes you feel supreme on perfect days. Enjoy!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Envy in their eyes, pride in my heart!

I live in the Bay Area of Northern California, where it’s becoming sprawling suburbia. To get away, I take my SL600 out of the garage on a Saturday morning at about 4:30AM. Drive up to Santa Cruz Mountains, just west of here. I like to time the trip so that…

… I’m cruising along the skyline, with the top down, on a warm morning. Going southbound, the sun is just starting to rise to the left. The darkness begins to give way to the early morning light. As I cruise along, with my wife beside me, we are alone on the road. The trees pass blissfully by and we feel safe and secure in the luxury of a Mercedes. I step on the accelerator and feel the V12 effortlessly pick up the pace. The engine, born from a legendary Formula One racing heritage, hums peacefully as we hear the air lightly whistling through the trees.

As we continue south, we begin to see the Pacific Ocean off to the right. It’s light shimmering, blue smoothness reminds us of superior handling characteristics of the R129 family. With the top down, we are one with the world. The sun continues to rise and morning has come. But the experience of driving an R129 has only begun, as we continue driving down the California coast. As we glide along the road, heads turn to see this magnificent black-on-black SL with classic styling and lines. Envy in their eyes, pride in my heart!

There is nothing that matches the experience of driving a well-tuned, clean R129 down your favorite stretch of road – whether it’s to Vegas or through the mountains on an early morning jaunt. It is pure, clean mental health!

Drive on dudes!