SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Advise transmission service ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 SL500
Question Advise transmission service ?

What's the general wisdom, on changing transmission oil & filter on a '98 SL500 with 48,000 mi ? Indi sez yes, dlr sez no.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:15 AM

As I recall, my Indi told me that '96 and newer cars had "lifetime" transmission fluid (his rationale for getting me to replace the fluid on my '95) so you should not need it. It's expensive - I think it cost me almost $400 to replace the fluid.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree, pointless changing it.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Transmission Lifetime Fluid

I have run into this issue with my BMW and Mercedes. I did an extensive amount of research (spoke with numerous independent mechanics and dealers), and I concluded that the "lifetime" transmission fluid and filter should be changed at 60k, and then every 30k thereafter. If you lease your car, I would not worry about it, and leave it to the next owner.

The principal reasons that BMW and Mercedes have been pushing this lifetime fluid are marketing and timing. Marketing, in that the luxury Japanese sedans, while no substitute for a German car, in my view, have won many converts with their somewhat actual and perceived advantage in terms of higher reliability and lower maintenance costs. Thus, you have seen both BMW and Mercedes include maintenance with their new cars, and stretch the maintenance intervals out. While some of this is explainable by the fact that the newer cars run cleaner and synthetic fluids last longer, a good part of the reason is also competition/marketing. Thus, it makes it easier for the marketing organization to say "hey, no need to change the transmission fluid ever." What's the timing reason? How long is your warranty? 4/48 on a new car, and Starmark varies. Point is, you can leave the fluid in the transmission. You might have no problem, but eventually, you will, especially around 100k, as the transmission fluid gets dirty/burnt. But, guess who is responsible for the transmission repairs at that point? You guessed it!

Two final points. My BMW is regularly serviced at the dealer where we bought the car new. Same routine with our MB. Both dealers, when I discussed this issue, stuck to the factory line. Well, recently, my BMW went in for a 90k service at the dealer, and there is now a new factory bulletin out recommending replacement of the fluid at 100k, apparently, according to my service advisor, because they have been seeing too much dirty fluid coming out of the trannies when they do any kind of repairs that require draining of the tranny (typically, tranny cooler lines). Moreover, customers are complaining about failure rates.

Second, you will, generally speaking, not harm the transmission if you change the fluid. The only exception to this is your transmission is about to go, sometimes new fluid will speed up the process by freeing up more materials (typically, the bands), which cause the transmission to fail more rapidly than it would otherwise. However, if this happens, your transmission will fail shortly anyways, so it's not really worth worrying about. Thus, the only thing you have to lose is about $350-$400, and not to be a snob, but if you're driving an SL, that should be chump change. Good luck, in any event.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the input. Makes sense to me. I know that MB is very sensitive about the perception that MBs are expensive cars to own and your comments would fit perfectly. By the way, changing my fluid cost $268 at an Indi who told me that the fluid looked bad even though the car (a '95) had only 28K miles. I figure if I change my tranny fluid every 8 years for 300 bucks its good insurance.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Trans Service

No problem. After I had my car done at 60k, and again recently, you can definitely notice an improvement in shift quality.

Moreover, the independent shop I used to do this service told me the fluid was pretty dirty the first time, and moderately dirty the second time.

You got a good price, btw.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:03 PM

'98 SL500
Thumbs up Transoil change

Thanks RALSL for the logic. Makes the most sense for an expensive, complicated transmission. You would think the dealers would profit more with this advice and happy owners. Im courious about the "SPECIAL" fluid they use?Could this be OTC synthetic transmission fluid.... you think ?
Old 01-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Fluid

The fluid is definitely not over the counter stuff. You need to check your owner's manual, but the special synthetic tranny fluid (it's made by Shell, I believe) is very expensive. To make sure you get the right stuff, I would get it from the dealer. If you use any other type of tranny fluid, you will damage your transmission.