SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Plastic rear window care?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic rear window care?

* what do you do to prevent discolouration?

* how do you prevent cracking?

* what do you do once cracking starts?

* is there an easy rear window replacement?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 09-20-2004, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Plexus Plastic Cleaner/Polisher....only way to go in my opinion
Old 09-20-2004, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
EXposure to sunlight will accelerate the discolouration, so put the hard top on when there's no prospect of lowing the roof. Keep it clean with soapy water and sparingly applied cleaner polisher. Keep in mind that the plastic is very soft and anything which is abrasive or which etches the surface will spoil your day.

Don't lower the roof when it's cold. The window plastic becomes brittle and cracks easily. You can have the windows replaced - the rear of the roof comes off separately from the main part which avoids upsetting the alignment - by an auto trim shop, I paid about $450 which is much less than the cost of a new roof, never mind the cost of fitting, it's a big job.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:47 PM

Thanks! I'll investigate a replacement window.

DAve
Old 09-20-2004, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
I used Meguiars cleaner and then the Meguiars polish last year and got very good results in restoring what seemed to be an impossibly grunged up, cloudy and scratched plastic rear abd rear side widows.

Now the plastic on both sides of the main rear widow panel is deteriorating at the stitching. And is slowly blistering away from the stiches and the canvas.

I would hate to think that the Meguiars residue is eating the plastic at the stiching.

Maybe it is just a coincidence.

I'll be looking to replace the rear window some time in the future. Good to hear the description of haow the window is replaced.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
You may have seen the 129 Technical Information CDs doing the rounds on ebay. They have a series of (I think it is) 8 video clips on "how to remove and replace your roof". The two guys (lets call them Fritz and Helmut) have got it down to a fine art but with the special tools, the need for glue to do the job, the message is clear - don't even think of doing it yourself. By contract, the rear section comes off relatively easily and the auto trim place I used did the job in a day.

Seems like it would be a good idea to rinse away any residue after cleaning from what you say...
Old 09-21-2004, 06:17 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 SL60 AMG
soft top replacement

BlueSL - out of interest, where did you get the rear half of your soft top done?
And, when it was replaced, was there a noticeable difference in colour/condition between the new rear, and the old front sections?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I had it done at Trimmania in Reading, excellent service. They replaced only the plastic windows (all three), reusing the existing material. They have a giant sewing machine to do it, and not a little skill. If the material is shot, you might have to think of a new soft top.

I'd say the replacement windows are a bit thicker than the old ones and tend to appear a bit lumpy when unfolded at the start of the spring after being "set" during the winter. When putting on the hard top, and after taking it off, I warm them thoroughly with a hair dryer to make them a bit more pliable. It's also a good idea to put some old towels in the folds of the soft top roof when you put the hard top on to help maintain the shape and avoid sharp bends in the windows which might cause a crease.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 SL60 AMG
soft top

Thanks. I don't have a problem at present but one of the side windows is showing signs that it may crack at some point in the future - in exactly the same place as on my previous SL of the same age, so clearly a design weakness.
I've seen that tip about the towels several times before but am a bit obsessive about not stopping the opening/closing operation midway, so can't put the towels in!!
Has doing this ever given you any problems with the roof operation?

By the way, I'm not sure that warming the plastic before folding it away for the winter is such a great idea. Surely you are then more likely to have fold marks on the plastic when you take the hard top off again in the Spring.

In the Spring, I normally unfold the soft top and wet it through with a hose, then let it dry in the sun. As is dries and warms, the fabric stretches tight and tightens up the plastic windows.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I've never had a problem stopping the opening operation half way through, you can then move the hood and cover manually. The key is to arrange the hood and the towels so that there are no sharp kinks in the windows which could lead to creases. The purpose of warming the windows is to make them slightly more pliable so that the internal stresses as a result of the folding do not exceed the elasticity of the material. I'm not talking about very hot here, about how they would feel on a hot summer's day. The plastic softens noticeably with temperature and it was lowering the roof on a cold winter's sunny day which caused the original ones to crack originally. A sort of "that-sounds-expensive" noise.

When you first raise the hood in the spring, I agree about wetting the hood, I also again warm the windows and then let them cool with the roof up, again to reduce internal stresses in their new "normal" position.

Last edited by blueSL; 09-21-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:24 PM

Just a thought...a common Miata trip is to lay a pool "noodle" in the crease of the soft top when folding it. Protects the plastic rear window there and prevents sharp bends. (of course the miata window zips in/out for storage, but that takes more time than some want to spend.

Dave
Mississauga
Old 09-21-2004, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Dave, yes, that's exactly what I meant and the "noodle" describes it perfectly, a rolled up towel to prevent sharp bends. In the SL, I only use it when I'm putting the hard top on for winter, much too much hassle to use every day and it would be distinctly uncool to mess about with towels on an every day basis...

Originally Posted by dlynch
Just a thought...a common Miata trip is to lay a pool "noodle" in the crease of the soft top when folding it. Protects the plastic rear window there and prevents sharp bends. (of course the miata window zips in/out for storage, but that takes more time than some want to spend.

Dave
Mississauga
Old 09-23-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by blueSL
Dave, yes, that's exactly what I meant and the "noodle" describes it perfectly, a rolled up towel to prevent sharp bends. In the SL, I only use it when I'm putting the hard top on for winter, much too much hassle to use every day and it would be distinctly uncool to mess about with towels on an every day basis...

I had physiotherapy in the pool at the local hospital...they used foam "noodles" as floatation devices. About 5 ft long (cut to suit). Handier than rolling a towel up.

Dave
Old 10-15-2004, 05:35 PM

2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by blueSL
In the SL, I only use it when I'm putting the hard top on for winter
Related question. Do you do anything to the car finish/surface under the hard top seals before placing the top? I have what appear to be waterspot shaped areas where that seal is. I would think waxing that well would not do much for a seal.
Also, is it necessary to lube the internal holddowns for the roof?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 07:11 PM

1988 E300, 2000 Jetta VR6, 2005 F350 6.0L Diesel
Plastic windows

As a long term boater I have used many marine products made specifically to wash, clean and rejuvinate the plastic. In clean the windows with lots of water and stay away from most comercial cleaners as they will tend to reduse the longevity. Most glass cleaners should not be used on plastic. At least 3 time over the summer I apply a clear plastic restorer. I always place a terry towel between rolled up plastic to prevent the plastic from touching. A terry towel wrapped around a noodle worked great in my old Miata. I am presently dealing on a 2001 SL 500 and have appreciated every ones comments.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Welcome DocJim.

I used Meguiars plastic cleaner and polish about 1 1/2 years ago. Now the plastic is failing at the fold at the seam.

My wife and I drove to Calgary the Sept Labour Day long weekend. We drove back through Kelowna. There are some nice curing roads between the Trans Canada and Kelowna.

From Kelowna to Merrit is a good place to open up a car to test high speeds.

Go for the SL 500! You will enjoy it alot. Will it be your first convertible?

Nice life style ... boating and GT convertible touring in the Okanagan.