SL/R230: Parktronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 AMG; 1999 BMW X5
Parktronic

If your SL500 did not originally come with parktronic, can the dealer add this feature, after-market?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Sirius_Investor
If your SL500 did not originally come with parktronic, can the dealer add this feature, after-market?
No, sorry.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Obviously, the factory installed Parktronic cannot be installed now, but there are numerous "aftermarket" companies that offer similar devices. Listed below is one and I am sure if you do a little Internet search you will find many more.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/paasvebase.html

It's really one of my favorite Benz options.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:44 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
I got it in my car and it's very usefull, trust me. If I change my cor for other MB I MUST request it as an Option.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Obviously, the factory installed Parktronic cannot be installed now,.....
Actually it can. Just not by a US dealer. But you can get the parts and can get it done. Its all a matter of $$$$$$$
Old 03-13-2005, 03:39 PM

SLK 230
How does it work?

Hi,

I have never had parktronic on any vehicle. Can I ask how does it work exactly? Is it different for the sl than the slk?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by NeilC123
Hi,

I have never had parktronic on any vehicle. Can I ask how does it work exactly? Is it different for the sl than the slk?

Thanks
I believe it works something like this, when you go in reverse you can hear an audible beeping noise, as your rear or front bumper gets close to an object the beeping gets louder and more repetitive. As you are point blank next to an object the beeping should be obvious
Old 03-13-2005, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I just do not understand why the dealer cannot install it. The sensors fit in the bumper inserts. It be easy to install.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I just do not understand why the dealer cannot install it. The sensors fit in the bumper inserts. It be easy to install.
That's what I assumed as well, I went to get my SLK55 serviced and I saw an SL500 in the showroom. I wondered if they just removed the rear and front bumper inserts and replace them with ones that have pre parktronic holes in them, then connect the sensors to the command system. Perhaps I should have asked the salesmen if that was a possible conclusion to this dilemma.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
That's what I assumed as well, I went to get my SLK55 serviced and I saw an SL500 in the showroom. I wondered if they just removed the rear and front bumper inserts and replace them with ones that have pre parktronic holes in them, then connect the sensors to the command system. Perhaps I should have asked the salesmen if that was a possible conclusion to this dilemma.
Dealer told me that they would not install them. Something about law suits. It can only be done at the factory. I will ask my Certified MBUSA body shop if they can do it.

The sensor is where your clock in located on the dash.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:57 AM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
The parktronic does not work with the command it work independly, you don't need to have the command turn on and their display is different that the command.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
Tigger - Now think what you are saying ! MBZ can't fix what comes installed from the factory and NOW you're going to attempt to add something as complex as parktronic ? I changed cell phone carriers from Cingular to Verizon last year, and my handset still doesn't function properly, and THAT was just a "plug-in" ! Caveat Emptor to those brave enough to become aftermarket mavens !
Old 03-29-2005, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Parktronic can be eaisly be installed on a SL. It requires a slew of parts but it is very doable. I did it to my C320 with all factory parts. www.mercdocs.com Contact Steve s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com or if you are closer to Houston, let me know. It requires several parts including new bumper impact strips, switch, wire harness, 10 sensors/rings/clips, 2 displays, etc...
Old 03-29-2005, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by sunman
Parktronic can be eaisly be installed on a SL. It requires a slew of parts but it is very doable. I did it to my C320 with all factory parts. www.mercdocs.com Contact Steve s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com or if you are closer to Houston, let me know. It requires several parts including new bumper impact strips, switch, wire harness, 10 sensors/rings/clips, 2 displays, etc...
Huge job and for practicle purposes you can do anything for enough money. Don't you need to change the entire wire harness? Not a job I want to get into.

In practicality, I think you are wrong. My dealer won't do it.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
There's exactly the same issue with fitting a TV tuner here - you can have it done but it's big money and will cost far more than the cost of the option - all the parts are being bought as spares, there's lots of work to do to gain access and as the guy trying to sell his wood trim on ebay is finding out, there's little market for the parts you have left over. Seems to me most dealers will not touch it. Too much to go wrong, too much liability.

I agree that if you are specifying a new car, it's a must have option. I've seen SL's in central London parked on the street which have scuffed bumpers and are generally suffering the wear and tear you'd expect and they look terrible, a far cry from our cossetted cars. Just think of the hassle and cost of getting a bumper scuff repaired - the best paint job is no paint job.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by sunman
Will it cost more than $1,000?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
You bet it will - it's a $1080 + tax option when you buy it with the car and that's when they fit it in the plant with minimum hassle. Those pre-painted bumper inserts - all four of them with the sensors will probably cost more than that. Then there's the displays front and back, the switch in the centre console to switch it off, the wiring, the re-programming plus a control unit somewhere to do the work. Big job. I can see sunman loves modding his car, but if you have an eye on cost/value, it's a non-starter.

The best thing about doing it is that you can eliminate the orange lights if you buy the European parts - we do not have them here.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by NeilC123
Hi,

Thanks
Each of the sensors in the bumpers is pulsed in turn with high frequency sound; the electronics listens for an echo back from nearby objects and depending on the delay, you can figure out the distance to any object. What's different about the SL from other systems is that there are sensors front and rear - the 911 only has them at the back. The SLs are also well integrated, the 911's of a few years ago look like cancerous warts.

There are two displays, one high up by the clock and one integrated into the rear parcel shelf. Parktronic is activated at low speed when you are moving forwards or when reversing. The appropriate display comes on and a bar graph either side shows show close you are to something, accompanied by an insistent beeping.

There's a switch on the centre console to switch it off if you want to.