SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Ordering an SL500 from the Dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL 500
Ordering an SL500 from the Dealer

I've decided to order an 05 SL500 just the way I want it. I've spoken to one dealer and they would like a $2000 fully refundable deposit to make the order but they will not negotiate the price now. Is that the norm? In reading this forum I've learned to start negotiating at the invoice price but I guess I'll have to wait until the car arrives to start that. I beleive I read here that someone ordered their car and the dealer said then and there that the price would be $500 over invoice which seems reasonable to me for a custom order. Any thoughts on this custom ordrer process from anyone? Thank you in advance.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Should get invoice or below.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Exclamation Doesn't sound right...

Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
I've decided to order an 05 SL500 just the way I want it. I've spoken to one dealer and they would like a $2000 fully refundable deposit to make the order but they will not negotiate the price now. Is that the norm? In reading this forum I've learned to start negotiating at the invoice price but I guess I'll have to wait until the car arrives to start that. I beleive I read here that someone ordered their car and the dealer said then and there that the price would be $500 over invoice which seems reasonable to me for a custom order. Any thoughts on this custom ordrer process from anyone? Thank you in advance.
I didn't think you could order a 2005 anymore.

You should always know the price before you order any car. It may not be the exact price but you should know it in relation to either invoice or MSRP.

I believe a dealer that will not give you a price now is not a reputable dealer and I would never order a car from them. This tactic is used only to get you to the emotional state where you will pay more for your car because it is right there. If they don't give you a price I would tell them to take a hike.

I would never participate in something like you are describing.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-05-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 AM

2005 SL 500
I think that's BS. I had my car custom ordered from the factory and right up front the dealer said the price would be $500 over invoice (and $500 down). I think this guy is jerking you around. I would insist on a price right now, and if you don't get it, go somewhere else.

I think there is something wrong with what the dealer is doing. He's going to wait for the car to come in, then after you see it and love it, he will hold you hostage on a price knowing that the car he has is the only one with the specifications that you want. Don't play that game. Get nasty if you have to. There is no reason for doing what he is doing accept for the above explanation.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:42 AM

2006 SL 500
Thanks

Lovin and Chris, Thanks - you are describing just what I was thinking - there will be a car right before my eyes that I've waited 3 months for that is exactly what I want - I think I'd have to call the cops because they would be holding me hostage unless I paid the ransom they want. I won't be ordering from this dealer. Lovin, they said they could place a 2005 order but given the above I don't know if I would believe them on that now.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Chris 45971
I think that's BS. I had my car custom ordered from the factory and right up front the dealer said the price would be $500 over invoice (and $500 down). I think this guy is jerking you around. I would insist on a price right now, and if you don't get it, go somewhere else.

I think there is something wrong with what the dealer is doing. He's going to wait for the car to come in, then after you see it and love it, he will hold you hostage on a price knowing that the car he has is the only one with the specifications that you want. Don't play that game. Get nasty if you have to. There is no reason for doing what he is doing accept for the above explanation.
Wow, the Sl500 is now going for invoice or 500 over invoice? I remember not too long ago these things were going over MSRP!! Good ol' supply and demand....is it also due to the new V8 that is coming out (hopefully soon)?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Lovin and Chris, Thanks - you are describing just what I was thinking - there will be a car right before my eyes that I've waited 3 months for that is exactly what I want - I think I'd have to call the cops because they would be holding me hostage unless I paid the ransom they want. I won't be ordering from this dealer. Lovin, they said they could place a 2005 order but given the above I don't know if I would believe them on that now.
I am sure the 2006 ordering guidlines will be out this month with production starting next month. I would order the 2006.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 PM

Since we're both in SoCal, care to share the name of the dealership? I'm planning on ordering an 06 SL55, so I'll know which dealership to avoid. PM if you dont want to post it publically.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:00 PM

2006 SL 500
Dealership

I don't mind posting the name of the dealership publically since we're all here to give and receive advise. It's Fletcher Jones Motorcars in Newport Beach and the salespersons name is Larry Mercer. I don't think Larry is attempting to pull something personally because it says right on the Order Confiramtion form from Fletcher Jones that the price is to be determined. He seems to be just "following orders" although he sure was doing the old car salesman routine with me - as the conversation proceeded I found that I knew a lot more about the car & pricing than he did!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:19 PM

SLK 230
In the end of the day the car is getting old...

Originally Posted by vantage78
Wow, the Sl500 is now going for invoice or 500 over invoice? I remember not too long ago these things were going over MSRP!! Good ol' supply and demand....is it also due to the new V8 that is coming out (hopefully soon)?
Well in the end of the day it is getting old and the market is soon going to be flooded with competitors. Also it used to be the case that the SL is the car most people aspire to. Whilst that is still the case it is gradually being eroded away by Aston Martin, Bentley and Porsche - whose top end vehicle are coming out to be fantastic
Old 04-05-2005, 02:19 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
I suggest you agree on a price before ordering or depositing any cash...otherwise, what's the point? Too bad if the price goes up during the build. It could as equally go down if demand drops. I agree with Lovin also, you should be ordering a 2006 model. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Steve
Old 04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Almost a Member!

the 2005 models and 2006 models are gonna be the same thing arent they?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:40 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Depreciation is well on with 2005....plus no more in production, so if ordering (rather than dealer trading), 2006 will be the only way to go.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
The Honest Car Salesman Theory

I don't mind posting the name of the dealership publically since we're all here to give and receive advise. It's Fletcher Jones Motorcars in Newport Beach and the salespersons name is Larry Mercer. I don't think Larry is attempting to pull something personally because it says right on the Order Confiramtion form from Fletcher Jones that the price is to be determined. He seems to be just "following orders" although he sure was doing the old car salesman routine with me - as the conversation proceeded I found that I knew a lot more about the car & pricing than he did!
Anybody can print anything and make it look like it just arrived from the Supreme Court. In Maryland many dealers have "Dealer Processing Fee" $100.00 (varies by dealer) on the sales order and it doesn't mean s**t. Most people think it's the law, but it's only pure dealer profit. Caveat Emptor, my friend.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
From what I know, the wait for an SL is usually between 2 & 3 months from the order date. I have just placed an order over the phone with my dealer for a 06 SL and was immediatly asked "Well, why don't you go with an 05? I could have it for you in no time."

Answer to the question is the depreciation, the 06 models are only a short time away as the 05 will be hitting depreciation.

Wait the extra time and save yourself in a future trade-in.

Dinko
Old 04-06-2005, 08:09 PM

Thats where I plan to order my car from. I've had some interesting experiences with their sales staff earlier this year.

Oh well, lucky for us we're in SoCal .. there must be a dozen dealers between Santa Barbara and San Diego.