Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Another Blasting of Mercedes Quality

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7407441/
Old 04-09-2005, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
Despite the reliability problems, Mercedes still makes a mighty fine car. We hope that the engineers and executives at the company are able to resolve their quality control issues quickly, and we will be the first to stand up and cheer when we can put a Mercedes back on this list. Mercedes-Benzes have a certain iconic quality lacking in Lexus cars. It's sort of like the difference between Sean Connery's James Bond and Pierce Brosnan's; one is the real thing, and one is a kind of smooth copy.

When I was 15 working at a Burger King, I fell in love with the SEL. The owners had two SELs. I told myself back then, when I get successful, I will get a Mercedes.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
When I was 15 working at a Burger King, I fell in love with the SEL. The owners had two SELs. I told myself back then, when I get successful, I will get a Mercedes.
The statement that Mercedes has a certain iconic quality lacking in Lexus is a very good way to put it. Last year I purchased an SC 430 and a LS 430. The SC was somewhat of a disappointment; definetly not "The passioante pursuit of perfection"; the car is no longer taking up garage space. The LS that my wife uses as her daily driver (shopper that is) has been flawless and at the same time BORING.
I find the LS somewhat dull and uninteresting but on the other hand reliable and dependable. It's almost as though it is a utility ; there when you need it and taken for granted.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
You beat me to qouting that part of the article...

Yeah i know MB has issues, but I love my Sl and wouldnt trade it for anything else in its price range.
No matter how "great" a Lexus is, it will NEVER lose the "Toyota" stigma. Lexus will never carry the MB's prestige..
Old 04-09-2005, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Lexus

What has surprised me with the Lexus cars is the small engines they offer in them. I have wondered why they don't offer higher powered engines in them. I thought about buying one of the sport utility vehichles in their product line, but they seem underpowered even more so than the cars.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:25 AM

Lexus GS 450h
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
You beat me to qouting that part of the article...

Yeah i know MB has issues, but I love my Sl and wouldnt trade it for anything else in its price range.
No matter how "great" a Lexus is, it will NEVER lose the "Toyota" stigma. Lexus will never carry the MB's prestige..
As Lexus gets older and the generation that remembers when Lexus and others were not around passes, the prestige will eat away slowly.

And clearly, people don't really care in America, since its the best selling brand the last 5 years, going on 6.

Remember, Benz was #1 for quality on JD Power back in 1994. In 2005, they are 32nd out of 35.

As good looking as Benz's looking, with the "prestige" that I agree, Benz cars do have, if they got they're quality together, sales would jump through the roof.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:34 PM

SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
You missed the cup half full side in the article.....

"Despite the reliability problems........ Mercedes-Benzes have a certain iconic quality lacking in Lexus cars. It's sort of like the difference between Sean Connery's James Bond and Pierce Brosnan's; one is the real thing, and one is a kind of smooth copy."

By the way, Porche, Ferrari, Lambo, Shelby, McLaren, Masserati ect..ect... were also noticably missing on the list....
Old 04-12-2005, 07:42 PM

SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
Exactly, have you ever sat in a Phaeton (on the list, by the way). You stare straight at that prestigious "VW" logo in the center of the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Another Blasting of Mercedes Quality-junk.jpg  
Old 04-13-2005, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
About the only good thing about the Phaeton is that it's the donor for the chassis for the Bentley Continental. VW have certainly got ideas above their station. Anyone buying one is certifiably crazy.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:00 PM

none
I was cruising with my top down todayd and and came to an intersection with a Phaeton. The owner stared down my Sl and had this look why did I buy this car? The Phaeton is a great car but is NO ONE knows what the hell it is.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by Natalie

By the way, Porche, Ferrari, Lambo, Shelby, McLaren, Masserati ect..ect... were also noticably missing on the list....
I wasn't aware (except for Masserati) that they produce sedans; however, your point is well made.